Larrivee short scale / 12 fret models?

Started by gwandsh, July 30, 2012, 03:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all
Not all that familiar with the Larrivee line-up.  I have been on the lookout for a grand concert sized guitar for fingerstyle work.  Mainly interested in the smaller body for comfort and a slightly shorter scale.
After a trip (or five) to the guitar center, found the feel of the Taylor Grand Concert (GC-x) was very good for me, but budget forces shopping the Used marketplace.  Larrivees come highly recommended, so thought I would ask for the wisdom of the group for some comparatives, and what models/years would meet my criteria:

Scale 24.5-25"
Nut width 1 3/4"
Can be 12 fretter or 14
Body size GC/GA/GS, not willing to go as small as a parlor.
Solid woods.  Not adverse to a cedar top either.
Electronics not desired.

For any who have played the Taylor GCs, I'd dearly love to hear your impressions of the relative feel of Larrivee models.  If I can get some idea of what to expect, I will try to track down a local shop for a test drive.

Cheers and thanks

For any who have played the Taylor GCs, I'd dearly love to hear your impressions of the relative feel of Larrivee models.  If I can get some idea of what to expect, I will try to track down a local shop for a test drive.

I've played Taylors GC size for decades and have been spoiled on their small size. The size is partly how I gravitated to the OO-05 I have now, which is a 12 fret, standard scale on a slighter smaller body than the GC, which I find very comfortable.

The sound of a 12 fret OO will blow a Taylor GC out of the room in terms of volume as well as midrange and bass. It'll make the Taylor sound thin in comparison.

Similar size to a GC will be a Larrivee OM and  OO. The OOO and LS a slight step up in size. The dimensions are on Larrivee's web site for you to confirm all that.

There is an OO-50 on eBay now for an insane starting price that I'd buy if I didn't already mine, except I think it has a 1 13/16" neck which I've given up on in preference to a 1 3/4". There's also a rare O-50 on eBay as well fwiw.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on July 30, 2012, 10:42:24 PM

The sound of a 12 fret OO will blow a Taylor GC out of the room in terms of volume as well as midrange and bass. It'll make the Taylor sound thin in comparison.

Similar size to a GC will be a Larrivee OM and  OO. The OOO and LS a slight step up in size. The dimensions are on Larrivee's web site for you to confirm all that.

I agree with that first statement but do not with the second.  I have both a Larrivee OM and a 00 and they are very different in size with the 00 being smaller.  I think the OM and the LS are closer in dimensions with the 000 being very close to them.  The 12-fret vs. 14-fret is the biggest difference to me. 

These is photo (see the attached link below) of (on the couch, left to right) a 00 (Forum IV), OM and a LS (Forum III).  Despite the guitars blocking the view a bit, you can see the differences.  Even though the OM and the Forum III are similar in size, they sound and feel very different.  The Forum III is a LS body with 12 frets. IMHO, it feels and sounds amazing.  For fingerstyle playing, I found it almost perfect. The balance was even across and up and down the fingerboard.  It felt wonderful (string spacing, nut width and how it sat on the lap/in the arms).  I was blown away by it.  That was a few months ago and I'm still thinking about what a great guitar it is.

If you are still looking, there is a Forum III for sale on the forum right now at a very reasonable price.  If I did not already own the OM and knew I would not get clobbered with the purchase of another guitar, I would buy it. 

Anyway, my 2 cents for what it is worth.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=40032.0
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

A Larrivee 00 is much smaller than the Taylor GC. Larrivee doesn't make a model like the GC. But as has been said a LS, OM, 000 or even an L model could fit your need. NONE of those will be a short scale however.
   The Taylor GC is shortscale. My LS-03 12 fret Forum III is louder and more resonant than my Taylor GC-4, but the GC4 has the edge in comfort for me.

Larrivee has made some short-scale OOs, but not many.

Quote from: Strings4Him on August 11, 2012, 09:26:46 PM
Larrivee has made some short-scale OOs, but not many.

The OOV-03 I have is 12 fret and short scale (24.75").  There were some OO-03 guitars (no cutaway) that were also 12 fret short scale (I had one of them, too).

I had a Taylor 422 (maple/spruce GC shape) that was a spectacular guitar.  If I could still play 25.5" scale 14 fret neck guitars, I'd still have it.  The lower bout at 15" wide is closer to an OM than the 14" of a OO, though the waist and upper bouts were smaller I think.    The GC was bigger (overall) than a OO but smaller that an OM.

Ed

Quote from: jpmist on July 30, 2012, 10:42:24 PM

There is an OO-50 on eBay now for an insane starting price that I'd buy if I didn't already mine, except I think it has a 1 13/16" neck which I've given up on in preference to a 1 3/4". There's also a rare O-50 on eBay as well fwiw.

The OO-50 I used to own had a 1 3/4" nut.  It's the OOO-50 that has the 1 13/16" nut I think. 

I love the Larrivee OO guitars but the 12 fret LS, Forum III, is also worth owning.  I've owned them both and they are winners.  Can't go wrong with either.