String Gauge & Action Preference

Started by GGBB, April 04, 2012, 11:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What setup do you prefer for all around general playing (a mix of strumming and fingerstyle)?

Heavier gauge strings with lower action
5 (71.4%)
Lighter gauge strings with higher action
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Didn't get much traction on my earlier topic about this matter so I thought I'd start a poll.  Note that "Higher" action doesn't mean high action - I just mean a little higher action than the heavier gauge setup.
Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

I like lighter gauge with lower action.  That is...  on my parlor with its 24" scale, I like medium or bluegrass gauge which pretty well equates to lights on a 25.5" scale.  Either way, I like moderately low action. 

Ed

I have always been the heavier the better the lower the better.Guage of strings on acoustics 14-58,on electrics 12-56.Action about 2 credit card stacked at the 12 fret,I don't use measuring tools I go by feel with as little buzz as possible.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Generally, on a longer scale, 25.5", I like plain old 12-53 light gauge and an action that's fairly low but a bit higher than most I would imagine.  When I had a parlor, I was using mediums.  They rock with mediums. 

I generally use mediums (13/56), with low as I can go action without too much buzzing.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"