How to treat a lady, opps Larrivee

Started by kingjack5, February 12, 2011, 12:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

First of all, thank you for sound advice regarding buying my first ever Larrivee. I'm getting close with your help. I really appreciate it. I probably should have mentioned this, too. The guitar I buy I do not want to have to put on a pedestal 24/7.  I currently have a J-45 deluxe from the early 70's. It's in great shape. When it's not in use it's stored in a hard shell case. Although I don't take it camping, I have no second thoughts about playing in the backyard and such.  I also never gave smokers a second thought or thought closely about room temperature or humidity.  Am I a heretic?  My wife would say these habits probably apply to my car as well!

I want a guitar I can play yet not have to worry about general wear and tear ( I keep having visions of Willie Nelson guitar or John Prine's old Martin).
For other than cosmetic and possible resale reasons will my current care taking habits do the guitar injustice? Or am I forever doomed to have a less than perfect guitar releationship? any feedback will do me good!  :donut :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut

Actually, I think your guitar relationship is about perfect - A well used instrument will show the signs of that use, which is in no way to be confused with abuse. Enjoy your guitar, play the snot out of it, make music whenever you feel the desire or wherever it needs to be made. And if your guitar gets the minor ding, or you pick up a little scratch or buckle rash - c'est la vie. 

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

If you live with an interior climate that doesn't change too drastically in terms of temperature and humidity, you should be fine, unless it's too dry - if the humidity gets too low, you'll get cracks in the wood and the action will change on you. I think heaters and air conditioners can dry the air. If you haven;t had troubles with your current guitar, your Larrivee should be fine.

As to smokers, you may lessen the resale vaule of your guitar if it has odors. Just something to keep in mind if you think you'll sell or trade your guitar later on.

I take my beloved little Larrivee parlor camping with me, to the snow, and the to the desert. No problems, but I do store the guitar in its hardshell case with one of those little clay Herco humidifiers in it, and I never leave it in my car. It's got a couple fo dings, but she's still beautiful if you ask me.

As ot my other guitars, I play them outside, take them to work with me sometimes, take them on picnics etc. I don;t baby them, but I do take good care of them, and yes, I use those cheap clay humidifiers. It's easy to keep them up - I donlt have a su,per dry climate, and I just recharge the humidifiers with water once a month. Works just fine with little trouble to me.