69 Things to Love About Bob Dylan.

Started by ducktrapper, November 25, 2010, 01:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: bearsville0 on April 16, 2011, 06:24:55 PM
Two things surprised me about Dylan in China:

Why would anyone care what Maureen Dowd has to say? She has been so consistently annoying that I didn't think anybody bothered to read her anymore.

Secondly, why would anybody bother going to see Bob Dylan anymore either unless it was a small club type of gig where I would expect him to at least have picked a decent backup band.

His band? Charlie Sexton? Stu Kimball? Donnie Heron? Recile and Garnier? Are you kidding me? You just pulled a Dowd, man! 

Quote from: jeremy3220 on April 16, 2011, 10:02:16 PM
He's traveled with basically the same awesome band for around 15 years I believe.

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 17, 2011, 09:38:33 AM
His band? Charlie Sexton? Stu Kimball? Donnie Heron? Recile and Garnier? Are you kidding me? You just pulled a Dowd, man! 

Cool, see, now I want to hear him live. Does he even play small clubs or gigs with less than a 1000 people?
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on April 17, 2011, 11:14:08 AM
Cool, see, now I want to hear him live. Does he even play small clubs or gigs with less than a 1000 people?

Not often but maybe as his career winds down, if it ever does. Then again, it's Bob Dylan. You just never know. His band was even better when Larry Campbell was on board and let's not forget Mr. D. himself, on guitar, keyboards and harmonica might not be too bad a musician. He's had a lot of practice.   

Quote from: bearsville0 on April 17, 2011, 11:14:08 AM

I saw him at the Ryman and the Tennessee Theatre which aren't that big.

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 17, 2011, 01:01:18 PM
Not often but maybe as his career winds down, if it ever does. Then again, it's Bob Dylan. You just never know. His band was even better when Larry Campbell was on board and let's not forget Mr. D. himself, on guitar, keyboards and harmonica might not be too bad a musician. He's had a lot of practice.   
Count me in the minority again perhaps, but besides being a good singer to me, he's also a good musician. It's in the phrasing, with vocals and harp. On harp when you go to learn note for note, you realize there's more thought into it than what you'd think. It's often not the notes that just roll of harmonica. "I'lll be your baby tonight" is a good example. I think he might have used 2 harps or had a custom one for that.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.