Choosing a mandolin

Started by Gordon, October 29, 2010, 07:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The mandolin is calling my name.  I've never played one, but I love the sound.  I thinks it's time I bought one and gave it a try.

Anyone have suggestions/opinions as to what I should buy as my first mandolin?  My budget tops out at about $700, so a Larrivee is out of the question.

I want to play blues mostly, and Celtic-based tunes.

What I've read so far is that I should get an A-style, f hole mandolin.

:donut

Gordon
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Gordon,

An A style will help you stay in budget. I spent a little more when I bought an F style mandolin last year and I still haven't disciplined myself to spend the time and effort to learn to play it.  :crying: Like you I can imagine the sound boost I might achieve with some of my music.

There are several folks on the forum who know a lot more than me, so I expect you will get more and better advice than I can offer.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Check out www.MandolinCafe.com for all you'll ever need to know about this topic.

Quote from: bobsnob on October 29, 2010, 07:03:19 PM
Anyone have suggestions/opinions as to what I should buy as my first mandolin?  My budget tops out at about $700, so a Larrivee is out of the question.

Save your money and buy a Larrivee. It will save you in the long run cause you will end up there.

That`s what I did :doh

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: the creature on October 29, 2010, 09:40:27 PM
Check out www.MandolinCafe.com for all you'll ever need to know about this topic.

Thanks for the link.   :donut2  I'd already looked there and found lots of good info.  I'm hoping to get some opinions from the mandolin players here.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 29, 2010, 09:48:31 PM
Save your money and buy a Larrivee. It will save you in the long run cause you will end up there.

That`s what I did :doh

That never works well for me.  I'm unlikely to ever invest in a high-end instrument that I'm not sure I'm going to play.

Moderate price = mandolin now
Larrivee price = mandolin much later, maybe never

Gordon
Montreal

Quote from: GeeNorm on October 29, 2010, 07:13:01 PM
Gordon,

An A style will help you stay in budget. I spent a little more when I bought an F style mandolin last year and I still haven't disciplined myself to spend the time and effort to learn to play it.  :crying: Like you I can imagine the sound boost I might achieve with some of my music.

There are several folks on the forum who know a lot more than me, so I expect you will get more and better advice than I can offer.

Norman

Yeah, I'm leaning toward an A-style, f hole mandolin.
What mandolin did you buy?

Gordon
Montreal

Gordon,

I bought one of these, http://jbovier.net/?page_id=160 from Jeff Cowherd who owns JBovier. (Bovier is French for cow herd.) The zebra wood gives it amazing sustain. I will admit that the unique looks are what sold me. Jeff's instruments are Asian built to what I would call very high standards. Here is a picture of the back of mine.

Norman

Edited to add this link to a magazine review. http://jazzmando.com/j_bovier_f5z_.shtml?iframe=true&width=100%&height=100%

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Get an A style with an oval sound hole works great with the style's of music your leaning towards.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on October 30, 2010, 09:45:55 AM
Get an A style with an oval sound hole works great with the style's of music your leaning towards.
:+1:  I agree, for those style's
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Bobsnob, in your price range, I'd be looking at Eastman or Kentucky, two of the better pacrim mandolin makers. I personally own an Eastman that I'm quite happy with. I hear very good things about the Kentuckys as well. I see that you live in Montreal. I'm not sure what's available there, but if you want to try before you buy I would check out either the Ottawa Folklore Centre or the Bluegrass Connection in Iroquois Ontario. Both are in reasonable driving range and should have a decent selection within your budget.

Quote from: stubby on October 31, 2010, 03:14:57 AM
Bobsnob, in your price range, I'd be looking at Eastman or Kentucky, two of the better pacrim mandolin makers. I personally own an Eastman that I'm quite happy with. I hear very good things about the Kentuckys as well. I see that you live in Montreal. I'm not sure what's available there, but if you want to try before you buy I would check out either the Ottawa Folklore Centre or the Bluegrass Connection in Iroquois Ontario. Both are in reasonable driving range and should have a decent selection within your budget.

Check out this thread.....

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=31328.0

Thanks to everyone for their input.

The f-hole vs oval soundhole  decision is one that's tough to make without actually being able to hear the instruments in person.  It looks like I'll need to make a trip to the Ottawa Folklore Center soon.

Grant from the 12th Fret added another complication to the story, suggesting a Trinity College flatiron-style mandolin.

I'll need to try one of those too.

Gordon
Montreal

In your price range, the Eastman and Kentucky mandolins that have been mentioned are a good bet.   You can get pretty nice one for less than $700.
A nice used Weber Aspen or something of that nature can be had for $700 to $900 and since the Aspen is an oval hole Celtic style it could be just what you are looking for.  Mandolin Cafe is a good place to watch.  I have an Aspen and it is a really nice mandolin for the money.  I have an F hole Ratliff, too, and the two body styles do sound quite different.  For Celtic, the Aspen is perfect.

I have played some Kentucky ovals that were nice and some that were a bit tinny. I would recommend choosing one of those in person if possible so you can compare them side by side.

If you are operating on a limited budget, A style mandolins will give the most bang for the buck.  A $500 A style is usually a better quality instrument than a $500 F style, but you could get lucky.

Get one, though.  They are a nice addition to the guitar and can be a lot of fun to play.

There's a Kentucky KM 172 Oval A on Mandolin Cafe right now for $250 so it might gbe a good gamble and something decent to start with. 

LJ

JMHO....A styles don't look like mandolins to me.  They look like something gypsies play whilst dancing around the campfire.  Gotta be an F style.
Eastman makes a blonde F style...they really stand out.

Quote from: Walkerman on October 31, 2010, 04:14:51 PM
JMHO....A styles don't look like mandolins to me.  They look like something gypsies play whilst dancing around the campfire.  Gotta be an F style.
Eastman makes a blonde F style...they really stand out.

I dance around a campfire one time and now you never let me forget about it.

LJ

Quote from: Dr. LJ on October 31, 2010, 05:09:12 PM
I dance around a campfire one time and now you never let me forget about it.

LJ

Ahhhh...but was it with gypsies?  I'll never forget the gypsy "chick fight" in From Russia with Love...quite powerful stuff for a young man going thru puberty.

Quote from: Walkerman on October 31, 2010, 05:34:33 PM
Ahhhh...but was it with gypsies?  I'll never forget the gypsy "chick fight" in From Russia with Love...quite powerful stuff for a young man going thru puberty.

Gypsy chick fight?!!  :ohmy:    I haven't seen that in any of the mandolin specs.

Gordon

Montreal

Someone recommended a Trinity College TM-250.  Has anyone tried one?  
I prefer the look of arch top mandolins, but the nut of th TM-250 is a bit wider than most of the other mandolins I looked at, which seems appealing to me as a guitar player.

http://www.12fret.com/retail/trinity_college_mandolin_pg.html

Gordon
Montreal

I'd recommend the Big Muddy mandolins (formerly known as Mid-Missouri). They're all solid woods and made in the USA explicitly for the mid-range that's tough to find in the mandolin market. I have a lower end Kentucky and consider it a complete piece of crap.

http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/index.php
Larrivee D-60 SBT
Larrivee SD-40R w/gloss top
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee L-10-12
Larrivee P-09
Martin HD-28 w/'35 SBT
Goldtone Banjitar GT-750
Big Muddy MW-0w Mandolin
Fender American Telecaster
Fender '51 P-Bass (MIJ)
1984 Tama Superstar Drum Kit
Paiste 2002/Signature Cymbals

A-styles are the original design.  And to me they are more "mandolin" than their frilly F-style counterpart.  To each his own, but I'm just keeping the history straight.