When did Larrivee begin using a UV or catalyzed finish?

Started by sgarnett, October 17, 2010, 11:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I assume that JCL probably used nitrocellulose back in his early classical days. I'm fairly sure I remember that my 93 or 94 OM was described in the literature as having some sort of modern, high tech finish  finish, but I don't remember whether it was UV-cured or catalyzed (polyester?). I know the modern stuff is UV-cured (polyurethane, I think).

When did Larrivee stop using nitro (if, as I'm guessing he did originally use it)?

If the finish was ever catalyzed, when did it change to UV-cured?

I don't know when all the changes took place (sounds like a call to Larrivee may be in order). They are UV-Cured Polyester resins finish now though.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

The first guitars were sprayed with hot laquer, and around '84 we changed to a modified Polyurethane varnish - Great stuff. We used that up until around 1995 (i think) when we started messing with Crown Metro's UV polyester. There were problems with crown metro and eventually we ended up using the MCfadden UV polyester. Mcfadden recently went bankrupt and we have switched to a new UV finish - which is relatively problem free and made locally in california.

Edit: The modified polyurethane was catalyzed. Up until 2 months ago the UV was not catalyzed. Now the UV is dual cured with partial catalyzation with cobalt & peroxide, and UV light

No need to write to Mr Larrivee. His son has replied on his behalf. How cool is that!        :+1:
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

:+1:   :thumbsup
thanx Matt!!!   
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

So a 2002 has a different finish than a 2008, is that right? Or, was the change more recent? For cleaning purposes it would be nice to know. I treat both 2002 and 2008 the same and have no problems, but that mainly consists of diluted soap & water and Meguiar's #18 clear plastic detailer as I thought they were all UV-Polyester finished.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Michael T on October 18, 2010, 08:42:07 AM
So a 2002 has a different finish than a 2008, is that right? Or, was the change more recent? For cleaning purposes it would be nice to know. I treat both 2002 and 2008 the same and have no problems, but that mainly consists of diluted soap & water and Meguiar's #18 clear plastic detailer as I thought they were all UV-Polyester finished.

The change is more recent - though the products are virtually the same. 2002 to today can be cleaned the same.

However it's done, the result in the case of my OM-60 (built in late 2004) is excellent.  Thanks!
Gary - RS-4 (for sale), Bourgeois VOM

Quote from: carruth on October 17, 2010, 09:02:24 PM
No need to write to Mr Larrivee. His son has replied on his behalf. How cool is that!        :+1:
Very cool indeed. Thanks, Matt!  :coffee :donut

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on October 17, 2010, 06:24:54 PM
The first guitars were sprayed with hot laquer
HOT laquer??? I've never heard of that process.