Poll ended See new poll Poll: Forum V model Ideas

Started by cke, August 06, 2010, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which would be your choice for the next Forum 'instrument'?

L
D
SD
Mandolin
RS 4
RS 2
Ukelele
O or P deep body
Classical (nylon)
Other (Specify)
12 string
Jumbo
Just to generate discussion.

Assume the Acoustic Guitars are 12 fret satin finish.  (Usual Forum  types)

Comments and/or specifics are welcome.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I say enough 12 frets already !!  An RS-4 would be extremely interesting   :nice guitar:

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

I voted for the 000 body.  I would like to see a 12 fret 03 series with a choice of RW or Mahogany.  No other appointments to keep the cost down.  Would I like a pyramid bridge and a slothead?  Absolutely!  Just can't afford  'em. 

I would also go for a C03 (florentine cutaway) in an L body size with the choise of RW or Mahogany b/s.
More than I deserve.

Thanks for starting this poll Chris :-)

My first choice OOO

Second choice O or P deep body

03 series paddle headstock, no pyramids,

but HB puring & rosette & enlarged soundhole;

IS/rosewood, IS/hog or all-hog.

Quote from: rpm60912 on August 06, 2010, 06:48:11 PM
Thanks for starting this poll Chris :-)

My first choice OOO

Second choice O or P deep body

03 series paddle headstock, no pyramids,

but HB puring & rosette & enlarged soundhole; IS/rosewood, IS/hog or all-hog.
You are welcome  :smile:

Right now poll is set for 1 vote per, but changeable.  Should it allow multiple votes?

And yes, since I already have an 'L' that I love, I would prefer a 000-50 minus the expensive bits.  :drool: Or SD-60?  :drool:
Chris
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on August 06, 2010, 06:54:59 PM
Right now poll is set for 1 vote per, but changeable.  Should it allow multiple votes?

Please keep it at one vote but changeable.

For now, I voted for my first choice

But can easily change if the favor goes to

The parlor deep body.

ricky

I voted O, but I'd qualify that with a vote for a 24.5" scale and a cutaway.  The standard 03 would be my choice...  spruce (I or S)/mahogany, satin, etc.

Though a 000 12 fret 12 string with a 24.75" scale and a cut...  hmmm!!!

Ed

A nice 000, walnut and cedar top or  silver oak and sitka in standard 3 series  :drool:

Pierrev
FIII LS 03 MH #74      Charlotte
LS 09 FM                    Ari
Moisan OM                  Unique

I voted L.  I've owned Larrivees for over 10 years and still never seen an L in person.  Plus it's the distinctive shape, and none of the Forum gutiars have been L bodes yet.

And yes, I know my Cedar/Walnut L is dead in the water, Jean refuses to do it, yadda yadda...

In "Larrivee Speak" what is the difference between an OM and a 000.  (sorry, OOO)?  On a Martin it's scale length.

I also liked the idea in the other thread of a Classical.  I'm personally not into classicals, but I'd probably get in on the order to get one for my wife.

Quote from: AZLiberty on August 06, 2010, 08:43:11 PM
I voted L.  I've owned Larrivees for over 10 years and still never seen an L in person.  Plus it's the distinctive shape, and none of the Forum gutiars have been L bodes yet.

And yes, I know my Cedar/Walnut L is dead in the water, Jean refuses to do it, yadda yadda...

In "Larrivee Speak" what is the difference between an OM and a 000.  (sorry, OOO)?  On a Martin it's scale length.

I also liked the idea in the other thread of a Classical.  I'm personally not into classicals, but I'd probably get in on the order to get one for my wife.
I can't cite all the specs, but the 000 is a different shape, enlarged soundhole, shifted braces and 12 fret neck. Sounds quite different form standard OM's, but I can't testify if it is different from the Forum OM' 12 frets.
Chris
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

The F-III LS size is very close to the 000 size. So is the OM just a different shape. I think a paddle head 000 would be redundant at this point.
      If Tuffy or someone else with both the LS and a 000 would comment I think you will find that they are so close in size it wouldn't be noticeable.
      My first LSV-11 was the same size as my Martin OM-21 and so is my F-III LS-03.
The second LSV-11E I had was a little larger and I put it side by side with Tuffy's 000-50MT and it was almost the same.

So I voted "other"

A 13 fret 00 size deep body mahogany or Koa with a Adi or IS top. :bgrin:

Mine's the only vote for a dread - BUT - I'm thinking a dread with a 1 3/4" nut...

...other options would be woods of the customer's choice from the typical options: spruce or hog top and hog or rosewood b/s...rosewood body binding (instead of maple).

Can't think of anything else, except I'd like it to be at least at the 05/09 level (depending on your wood choices, of course; hog/05; rosewood/09).

Price: Around $1,500 - $1,750, depending on woods.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I voted L too, mostly for the same reasons as the quote from AZLiberty.  I'm surprised no forum models have been L's to date.  Isn't that design the one that makes them the "definitive" Larrivee?  My concept would be a "steel string" version of a flamenco ish (slightly brighter) guitar.  So it would have a cedar top.  (or maybe redwood?)  Sides and back, either Rosewood or Mahogany, whatever the builder feels would best achieve a flamenco ish tone with sufficient volume.  I think this would make a really nice "all-purpose" guitar with a slightly brighter tone than many others.  But I'm only guessing.   Decoration wise, I'm not fussy, but it should at least be unique enough to distinguish it as a special edition guitar or whatever.

The scale length would be the standard L or slightly shorter.  And the neck would join the body at the 14th, NOT the 12th fret.

PS.  I only own one Larrivee, an L-07.  I'm basing my ideas more on theory and not from comparing different models and sizes and brands.  I have very little experience in that.

Kurt.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: dependan on August 06, 2010, 09:14:21 PM
   The F-III LS size is very close to the 000 size. So is the OM just a different shape. I think a paddle head 000 would be redundant at this point.
      If Tuffy or someone else with both the LS and a 000 would comment I think you will find that they are so close in size it wouldn't be noticeable.
The second LSV-11E I had was a little larger and I put it side by side with Tuffy's 000-50MT and it was almost the same.

In light of the info from AZLiberty & Danny, as one who owns an FIII LSV-03R, if what I already have would be very close to the OOO & OM,

then I may change my vote to a deep body parlor or O.... and earlier this evening, I even wondered about a deep body OO as Danny mentioned - that may just do the trick to achieve a small intimate size guitar with enough depth in its voice... Wow.

If the Forum V becomes the L body, I'd be watching closely.

As I mentioned in the other thread, if it becomes a classical, uke or electric - I'd be cheering on the sidelines.

A deep body OO would really motivate me or unless Tuffy can educate us about the similarities and differences of his OOO and FIII, please?

ricky

I voted 000, 12 fret with a 24.5" scale and a cutaway.  The standard 03 would also be my choice...  spruce (I or S)/mahogany, satin, etc.

Never happen for me though!!

Quote from: dependan on August 06, 2010, 09:14:21 PM

I've got a 000-50 (Sitka/Hog) and an LS Forum III (IS/Mahogany).  The 000-50 feels slightly bigger as it is half an inch deeper, larger overall and nut width of 1 13/16".  The biggest difference is the sound.  The 000-50 has it way over the LS IMO;  louder, more resonant, much more bass and sweeter sounding.

gtrplayer

I voted for a uke but it looks like a 000 12-fret might have some steam right now.
Ted

www.laguitarsales.com

Authorized dealer for: Larrivee - Blackbird - Breedlove - Cordoba - Eastman - Guild - Journey - Martin - Rainsong - Ramirez -  Santa Cruz - Taylor

Quote from: gtrplayer on August 07, 2010, 08:55:04 AM

I've got a 000-50 (Sitka/Hog) and an LS Forum III (IS/Mahogany).  The 000-50 feels slightly bigger as it is half an inch deeper, larger overall and nut width of 1 13/16".  The biggest difference is the sound.  The 000-50 has it way over the LS IMO;  louder, more resonant, much more bass and sweeter sounding.

gtrplayer

Thanks! :cheers

That was what I expected, now confirmed. I played an LSV-11 and a 000-50 back to back briefly, and was blown away by the richness and wamth and responsiveness of the 000. Can't forget it.  Not that the LSV wasn't wonderful. It just hit me as a smaller version of my L-09 (which of course it is.  :winkin:)

I wonder how it would sound in walnut? :drool: I am assuming that the F-5 000 would have the same bracing/soundhole as the standard model. I would like the appearance to be like the 00-03 SE.
Chris
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden