retro motorcycles

Started by mas music, May 17, 2010, 07:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The vast majority of modern motorcycles are cruisers or sportbikes. I much prefer the "standard" bikes of old. The best example of a new standard is the Triumph Bonneville. Before Japan dominated the industry it was the British invasion of the 60's that carried the day. Norton, BSA & Triumph have long been regulated to the trash bin of history. Some years ago the Triumph name was purchased and the brand was resurrected. Today they offer modern and retro style bikes. The Harley 883 sporster was developed to compete with the Bonneville. Back in the day they were the biggest baddest bikes on the road. Today they represent the least expensive, smallest displacement offering from each manufacturer. After 50 years in the market place they are still very desirable motorcycles that stand apart from so many cruisers and sport bikes. Any standard bike fans out there ?
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

I owned a 04 Bonneville Black when I lived in Los Angeles.  It was first and only new bike.  Before that it was 70's Honda 750's.  I sold the Triumph to finance an album.  I miss it.  It still stings a little.

Here's mine...

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

That's sweet . . . now I've got GAS and MAS.
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Nice one.  I got real hot for Thunderbird Sport once.  Almost pulled the trigger.  I'm really disappointed in Triumph for what they did with the T-bird on this last go round.  I can't figure out why they think they need to make Harleys.

There was a Triumph Demo Days nearby last month, and I rode 3 variations of the new air cooled Bonneville twin; The Bonneville America, T100, and SE.

I liked the SE best of all, it had good handling. I also rode the new Thunderbird, its a comfortable and powerful cruiser style bike. I've seen a couple of them on the street already.

I just picked up a 2000 Yamaha Venture touring bike for long distance riding. I've never done a coast to coast run, and will use the Venture for that next summer. http://randyrick.us/motorcycles/Yamaha/VentureMM.htm
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Randy: http://www.ironbutt.com
Look under Rides and Events and there is a coast to coast ride.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: Dale_I on May 18, 2010, 12:30:48 AM
Randy: http://www.ironbutt.com
Look under Rides and Events and there is a coast to coast ride.

Thanks. I'm aware of the ironbutt rides, and thought of that as I typed the previous. But my idea of a coast to coast trip is to ride mostly secondary roads and stop at every dive with a sign that says beer and cheeseburgers....

There's no point in getting to California quickly just to turn around and leave...

I'll have to try strapping a parlor case in the back seat of the Venture.
Randy R., Georgia, USA

I have a 1975 Norton Mk III Roadster that suffers from the same neglect as my Larrivee's, i.e., they don't get ridden/played enough!   I'll take a pic of them together soon and tantalize you!

Chas.

Quote from: Randy_R on May 17, 2010, 09:47:44 PM
I just picked up a 2000 Yamaha Venture touring bike for long distance riding. I've never done a coast to coast run, and will use the Venture for that next summer.

Quote from: Randy_R on May 18, 2010, 07:19:47 AM
But my idea of a coast to coast trip is to ride mostly secondary roads and stop at every dive with a sign that says beer and cheeseburgers....
There's no point in getting to California quickly just to turn around and leave...

Randy, I did a cross country trip, on a 1987 Softtail Classic, in 1995. I did the trip somewhat like you are talking about but I didn't use secondary roads exclusively. I had already explored my way through the south and westward to the Mississippi so I took Interstate to Memphis in two days, which was about a thousand miles for me, and stayed with relatives. Then, I just wandered my way across the rest of the country exploring areas leisurely and combining that exploration with jaunts of Ironbutt style long days of straight riding on interstates to get to a new area I was wanting to explore. I think I did a bit over 8000 miles and was riding around the country for a bit over a month. I think my favorite night was out camping near Tucmcari N.M.
I miss that old Softtail. I bought it with just over 6000 miles on it and sold it with 98,000+ miles on it and sold it for 2 grand more than I paid for it. Unfortunately, I had to sell it only about six months after the trip due to a divorce and going out of business. If you want ideas for areas and secondary roads to explore read William Least Heat Moon's book Blue Highways.

Quote from: GA-ME on May 18, 2010, 08:11:55 AM
If you want ideas for areas and secondary roads to explore read William Least Heat Moon's book Blue Highways.

Thanks, I'll look for the book. Likely I won't do too much planning for the trip, just go and see where the weather is good.

Back to the topic of retro motorcycles. I had three of the Triumph twins. A 500cc scrambler and 650cc Trophy in the 1970's, and had a 650cc (1971?) Bonny in the 1990's.

I thought about riding my 2001 Thunderbird on the cross country trip, but decided its range is more in the <500 mile trip category. I rode farther than that in the 70's on my Triumphs, but recall comfort wasn't a high priority then.
Randy R., Georgia, USA

I don't have a bike now, but my first ones were BSA's.
        I had a 1963 650.  A 68 250.   Then a very sweet 68 Lightning 650 BSA. Which I sold to a collector in Arkansas 30 years ago or so. I imagine it's in his bike museum still, but I never went back to see it.

I liked the British street thumpers a lot. But moved on to the BMW touring bikes. I could ride for a week straight on one of those with no problems. Anyway I always enjoy seeing a BSA,Triumph or Norton. Even more so a Royal Enfield.

Quote from: dependan on May 18, 2010, 10:49:01 AM
    I don't have a bike now, but my first ones were BSA's.
        I had a 1963 650.  A 68 250.   Then a very sweet 68 Lightning 650 BSA. Which I sold to a collector in Arkansas 30 years ago or so. I imagine it's in his bike museum still, but I never went back to see it.

I liked the British street thumpers a lot. But moved on to the BMW touring bikes. I could ride for a week straight on one of those with no problems. Anyway I always enjoy seeing a BSA,Triumph or Norton. Even more so a Royal Enfield.

Danny, You didn't happen to buy that BSA in Austin did you? around 1973 or so? I had a friend that sold his then, I tried to buy it, but it was already sold.

I've always wanted a Velocette 500cc single...
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: Randy_R on May 18, 2010, 10:56:24 AM
Danny, You didn't happen to buy that BSA in Austin did you? around 1973 or so? I had a friend that sold his then, I tried to buy it, but it was already sold.

I've always wanted a Velocette 500cc single...
No, I bought one in 1971 in St.Louis and one in Houston in 1973 and then the 650 Lightning in Norman, Okla. That fellow kissed the bike three times before he let me take it away. I think that was 1980 or so.

I started this neat thread but the sad truth is I don't even have a motorcycle to call me own  :crying: 4 years ago
I got bit by the bike bug but with 2 young kids  the time just wasn't right. Instead I picked up a cheap used guitar and taught myself to play. Playing guitar has been very satisfying, cheaper and safer then a motorcycle. Still I hope one day to take the plunge
     Here's to Music & motion, Cheers  :cheers
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

i sell harleys ui will be glad to help you get into a bike

I had a BSA 441 Victor Special and a Norton 850 Commando. Currently I ride this:

A friend and I rented a couple of new Royal Enfield 500s for a tour of Scotland two summers ago. They are fun for puttering around on back roads, but woefully underpowered for the motorways.

I was interested to see this:

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

I sent them an enquiry, and got a reply that they are just producing for the UK market now, but hope to have international distribution soon.

Larrivee L-03
Larrivee P-03
Gretsch 6120
Gibson ES-335
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: Skyver on June 20, 2010, 07:40:35 AM
I had a BSA 441 Victor Special and a Norton 850 Commando. Currently I ride this:

A friend and I rented a couple of new Royal Enfield 500s for a tour of Scotland two summers ago. They are fun for puttering around on back roads, but woefully underpowered for the motorways.

I was interested to see this:

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

I sent them an enquiry, and got a reply that they are just producing for the UK market now, but hope to have international distribution soon.

You are not helping my abstinence from the "Carefree Hiway"  :angry:

:humour:

I've been scooter riding since the 1960's and mostly on older Honda's and Yamaha's.  Rode a 1980 Yamaha XS850 Triple for 13 years.  Great bike but certainly not great for 3000 mile rides.  My bike for the last 7 years has been a XV1100 Virago.  Not a great long distance bike but adequate.  Made a great trip from Washington state to Tahoe and back up the Kalifornia/Oregon coast last summer.  Due to health issues I haven't been able to ride this year.    :crying:
Steve ....aka the SMan

The only problem with Slovenia is it rains quite a lot here, but I keep a set of waterproofs in one of the saddlebags. Driving through the twisty roads in the Alps is really fantastic, and there are lots of inexpensive B & Bs. That picture was taken in the Tyrolean Alps. There's a bike rental shop in Ljubljana where you can rent a bike for a holiday:

SMTours

:cheers
Larrivee L-03
Larrivee P-03
Gretsch 6120
Gibson ES-335
Fender Stratocaster