Larrivee Ukuleles?

Started by Mikeymac, May 16, 2010, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So...Larrivee made ukuleles, right?

But do they still make them?

What do/did they list for? Street price? Used prices?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Sure do, don't know if they still do. Actually they have been some floating through this forum for sale or swap. They can be pricey. I own a few Kamaka's, koa wood  :+1: Walkerman has himself a lav Uke.
cheers mate, I hope you find one. By the way, there is an old thread on this forum with heaps of info's, check it out
fongie

Rev I believe Larrivee stopped in 2002 but have had one or two special runs since. I think the basic Uke ( not Walkermans) listed for around $600 of which I have seen some used ones sell close to that, They are coveted.

Maybe Larrivee would consider a Special Run again if there was enough interest - tho would it be basic or one with the "Walkerman Bling"  :?  I would be in for one of which ever was decided.  :cheers
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 16, 2010, 10:30:07 AM
Rev I believe Larrivee stopped in 2002 but have had one or two special runs since. I think the basic Uke ( not Walkermans) listed for around $600 of which I have seen some used ones sell close to that, They are coveted.

Maybe Larrivee would consider a Special Run again if there was enough interest - tho would it be basic or one with the "Walkerman Bling"  :?  I would be in for one of which ever was decided.  :cheers
Hmmmm...
The Forum 1,2 3 were mid-size, the F 4 mid/small 00....

Ah the Forum V will be a Walnut /IS slot-head  ukelele!!
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I have one   :bgrin:
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

I can't recall the last time Larrivee advertised a Uke..

Quote from: cke on May 16, 2010, 11:38:27 AM
Hmmmm...
The Forum 1,2 3 were mid-size, the F 4 mid/small 00....

Ah the Forum V will be a Walnut /IS slot-head  ukelele!!

A slot head?

And definitely has to be koa, not walnut!

Thanks for the info guys - not sure if I'm in the market to spend that kind of money right out of the gate...lots of cheaper options to learn on.

Thought I'd share a picture of my 01 series all mahogany uke....

[attachment deleted by admin]
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

Quote from: Bltprf502 on May 18, 2010, 01:48:46 PM
Thought I'd share a picture of my 01 series all mahogany uke....

Purrrrrrrdy
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 18, 2010, 07:37:55 PM
Purrrrrrrdy

Yes, very nice - all mahogany works for me, too!

Mine is either a 1999 or 2000 but I can remember.  I am going to send it in to have the finish smoothed out.  A little rough in areas, but no big deal...

Thanks for the comments...
:+1:  I like it too.

if anyone gets an order together I'd be in,a Larrivee koa uke would be cool!

First post in a long time, if ever, so please help yourself to these:  :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut
I have a Larrivee 03-series uke that I bought in about 2004. I don't know when it was made; I wrote to Larrivee with the serial number, but was told that the company didn't keep records on the ukes as it did with guitars.
Anyway, the koa 03 that I have is simple and lovely, with excellent workmanship. I love the sound, but it's not particularly loud--not at all like my old Martin in that regard, but much better balanced.
Larrivee intended to be a real player in the ukulele field, but it apparently just didn't work out. The problem, I think, is that the ukes were too expensive. They cost as much to make as guitars, and Larrivee tried to price them accordingly.
Below is the announcement of the Larrivee uke line from June 2000. It's interesting for lots of reasons, but note the prices!

JEAN LARRIVEE GUITARS has released a line of deluxe soprano ukuleles to the North American market. A spokesman commented, "With this launch, we're on a mission: to transform the ukulele from a `fun' recreational instrument to a serious contender in terms of overall sound and playability, suitable in a variety of musical settings. We plan to extend the line with concert and tenor models within the next 12 months."
The line features ten different soprano instruments in three sub-categories: the 03 series (no binding), the 09 series (wood binding), and the 10 series (abalone binding). All Larrivee ukuleles feature all-solid wood construction, hand-fit dovetail neck joint, composite saddle, sterling silver border, ebony olverlay, and inlaid headstock logo.
The three models in the 03 series are: US-03-KA, all koa, abalone rosette, $1,249 U.S. suggested retail: US-03-MH all mahogany, abalone rosette, $849: and US-03-MHS, mahogany back and sides, abalone rosette, spruce top, $849.
The three models in the 09 series are: US-O9-KA, all koa, abalone rosette, koa binding, $1,399 U.S. suggested retail; US-09-MH, all mahogany, abalone rosette, maple binding, $974; and US-09-MHS, mahogany back and sides, abalone rosette, maple binding, spruce top, $974.
The four models in the 10 series are: US-10-KA, all koa, abalone rosette, abalone binding, $1,574 U.S. suggested retail: US-10-KA-FES, all koa, abalone rosette, abalone binding, Flying Eagle headstock, $1,699; US-10-MH, all mahogany, abalone rosette. abalone binding, $1,074; and US-10-MHS, mahogany back and sides, abalone rosette, spruce top, $1,074.
All ten models have the following dimensions: 7-3/8" lower bout; 5-3/8" upper bout; 4-3/8" waist; 9-3/4" length; 2-1/4" maximum depth; and 14-1/8" scale.
2016 Martin CEO-7
2010 Gibson J-45
Larrivee US-03-KA soprano ukulele
Koaloha KCM-00 concert ukulele
Kanile'a K1 tenor ukulele

well thats what I call a first post! :welcome:

I have played many ukes next to mine.  I haven't found better yet... usually with the guitars you can hear a difference in the boutique brands like Collings and SCGC.  In the Uk world, I have found that mine is as good as anything hand made.

:cheers