Has Larrivee killed your GAS for other guitars

Started by 247hoopsfan, April 22, 2010, 04:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

..........Hmmmmmm.......... on second thought, I'm feeling an unexpected need to save money for a LV-10e.  :drool:

Really, the only reason I have left in looking at Taylors is their Expression System, which others are not a big fan of.

Other than that, I find that the Larrivee line has all the variety of models & sizes and you can't touch it for quality, sound, value & price point.

Personally, my P-03 Walnut and F-III LSV-03R are both keeping my GAS for other guitars at an all-time low.

Though I still GAS for other Larrivees - like the OO-03 Hog/IS and yes, another parlor or OOO-50 SBT and an OMV-03 12 fret if one becomes available.

ricky

For now I'm monotGITmous.  I've always played whatever guitar was being passed around between friends and my brother.  After a hiatus while my kids were small I started playing again.  Decided it was time to settle down and find me a nice respectable guitar.  So I saved my pennies and started on the scene.  Many fine guitars with well known names from well established families.  Most were out of my league financially speakn' but I tried fooling around with them anyhow.  Each guitar seems to have it's own distinct personality, some bright and sunny, some dark and brooding, deep and complex, some a combination of different traits. Frankly I ran into a few just plain boring dumb ones on many occasions.  Had second and third dates with a few. Blondes, brunettes, redheads etc.(interpret as gender neutral so as not to offend any of the female guitarists out there, many of who could kick may a** I'm sure).  Thing is I knew I could only have one for now.  Then this beautiful Larrivee D03 Claro Walnut revealed to me things I didn't even know I was looking for along with the things I did know I was.
I don't begrudge any guitarist his/her stable of beauties.  I suppose I've just reconciled my desires with what I could have.  In so doing I've found this simple looking satin beauty with a few cosmetic flaws has a seductive voice that leaves me feeling content that I've found a special instrument that more than meets my needs.  I know, I know, you're all rolling your eyes as I've blissfully gone walnut.  Yeah, I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I'm pretty sure when life gets routine I'll still be good with this one.
I'm realistic though, seven year itches will arrive.  Usually in less then seven years.  My eyes will wander, hey- I'm a guitarist. The great thing about guitars though is that as long as you treat them right, and take care of them they can't get hurt.  Though I have heard a guitar gently weep.
So, no GAS for me.  But for those playboys/girls that can - go crazy, play the field.

Quote from: AZLiberty on April 25, 2010, 03:18:29 AM
I still want a Martin HD-35, so I'm guessing that no, the Larrivees have not killed my GAS.

Same here. There's a 2008 HD-35 at my local shop that has been calling my name for nigh on two years now but I just can't afford it. I just went to visit it yesterday and the strings are all tarnished but it still kicks you in the gut and sounds like a grand piano.

*sigh* Someday... :crying:

For dreads I look to Martin just because I like how they're voiced but granted that Larrivée beats comparably-priced Martins hands down. I've yet to try a SD-50 though I doubt it would not cure my GAS for that HD-35. Instead I think it would just add to my GAS and make me want both.

FWIW my OM-03R has at least cured my GAS for another OM, even a Martin OM-21. It's just my preference; I like its "balanced" tone.  :nana_guitar
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Wally - could you posty a pic of the walnut D-03 please - I'd love to see it.

Thanks.

Brent

:donut :donut2 :coffee
Larrivee D-03FM
1970's Norman ST68

Quote from: wally on May 14, 2010, 07:14:26 PM
For now I'm monotGITmous.  I've always played whatever guitar was being passed around between friends and my brother.  After a hiatus while my kids were small I started playing again.  Decided it was time to settle down and find me a nice respectable guitar.  So I saved my pennies and started on the scene.  Many fine guitars with well known names from well established families.  Most were out of my league financially speakn' but I tried fooling around with them anyhow.  Each guitar seems to have it's own distinct personality, some bright and sunny, some dark and brooding, deep and complex, some a combination of different traits. Frankly I ran into a few just plain boring dumb ones on many occasions.  Had second and third dates with a few. Blondes, brunettes, redheads etc.(interpret as gender neutral so as not to offend any of the female guitarists out there, many of who could kick may a** I'm sure).  Thing is I knew I could only have one for now.  Then this beautiful Larrivee D03 Claro Walnut revealed to me things I didn't even know I was looking for along with the things I did know I was.
I don't begrudge any guitarist his/her stable of beauties.  I suppose I've just reconciled my desires with what I could have.  In so doing I've found this simple looking satin beauty with a few cosmetic flaws has a seductive voice that leaves me feeling content that I've found a special instrument that more than meets my needs.  I know, I know, you're all rolling your eyes as I've blissfully gone walnut.  Yeah, I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I'm pretty sure when life gets routine I'll still be good with this one.
I'm realistic though, seven year itches will arrive.  Usually in less then seven years.  My eyes will wander, hey- I'm a guitarist. The great thing about guitars though is that as long as you treat them right, and take care of them they can't get hurt.  Though I have heard a guitar gently weep.
So, no GAS for me.  But for those playboys/girls that can - go crazy, play the field.

well said Wally. I sure wish I could experience the bliss of being "monotGITmous" !!! It used to be 8, now I'm down to 7; if I were to keep only one

it would have to be my FIII.  And yes, I'm still looking and GASing, but keeping the purchases to zero for now, by playing all my guitars.

ricky

To help keep my GAS in perspective, here's an excerpt from Mississippi John Hurt's biography:

According to personal biography of his life John Hurt learn to love and appreciate music and guitar playing from William H Carson, a man infatuated with his teacher at the St. James School, located in Avalon, Mississippi. John Hurt stated, " I wasn't allowed to bother Mr. Carson's guitar. I would wait until he feel asleep at my house, then I would slip his guitar into my room and try to play. There I learned to play the guitar at the age of nine years old. After that, my mother bought me a second hand guitar at the price of $1.50! 1 can tell you there was no beautiful sound than my own guitar music. I was playing for country dances at the same time working very hard on a farm new Avalon Mississippi."

Wonder what MJH would say if he saw my 6 guitars, heard my meager playing and knew I was thinking about a 6 string mahogany guitar.

He'd say, "Get that 6-string mahogany guitar son!"   :winkin:

Nope, becasue I want a baby taylor to take away with me when working from home :-) Then its killed it :-)

hoopsfan,

I've bought 5 additional Larrivee guitars since my 1st one a few years back, an OM-03R.  All of them sounded wonderful.  Since then, the only one left is my Forum I, OM-03MT.  I joined this forum right after a bought my 1st and this forum has definitely fueled the flames for GAS, not just Larrivee.  If anything, Larrivee has given me more gas for ALL guitars because Larrivee has shown me that if 1 guitar maker can make so many great sounding guitars up and down the line, then there has to be many guitar makers that make at least one great sounding guitar.  I liked the food example that was given and to sum up, variety IS the spice of life!

Santa Cruz
Borgeois
Collings
Martin

I wouldn't mind my pick of guitars from these makers.

Also, great sounding cheap guitars are to be had from Blue Ridge and Recording King!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

larrivee bone saddle, factory set up = no.

colosi WAHI saddle, professional set up = ohhhhhh yes......

Old Flames:
Silvercreek T-160
Taylor 214

The answer was 'yes' until I had a chance to play a couple of Rainsong guitars at NAMM this past January.  I was expecting not to like them, but oh man did those things sing effortlessly.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud