Has anyone bought/played a new P-03?

Started by limnephilidae, August 26, 2009, 12:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: drive-south on February 02, 2010, 10:18:20 AM
Stacked heels SUCK!!! They are as ugly as the south side of a pig facing north.

This is "ugly"      :?

I have a good friend that used to be a Larrivee dealer.  With that connection, a love of trading, and inherent personal weaknesses I ended up owning at least a couple dozen Larrivees over a period of several years.  The parlors were my favorite, and accounted for at least half that total.   I owned every flavor they made plus a couple customs.  I say all that to establish my credentials as someone with some Larrivee Parlor experience.

I'm not going into the details of what I didn't like about my earlier guitars - just my opinions and no need to bruise any feelings.  I've had the glossy models, but prefer the 03 at any $.  I'll just say that my new P-03 with it's maple binding, herringbone, satin, and pickguard is a much improved version and as close as I've ever come to the perfect Larrivee!  I remember the days when I could buy them for under $400, but this one at double that price came with the above appointments plus an excellent quality archtop case as opposed to the gigbags I used to get.  I can't honestly compare sound since I'd strayed from the Larrivee fold for several years, but I know if not better it's every bit as good since it still stuns me after my long history of way too many guitars.  I still have a couple expensive vintage and small builder guitars that are very impressive, but I can honestly say I don't have a guitar I prefer over this new parlor.  At twice the price I'd still love it.  I'm certainly not going to let a perfectly reasonable switch in neck building or a few extra $ ruin my enjoyment.  Just my .02

I finally got to play Larrivee parlors. Auditioned a P-09 Custom Lacewood, a P-09 custom Quilted Maple, and... a P-01 ( low 32000's sn). Dealer didn't have the new P-03 (and had just sold his 00-03 gol dern it).

Very nice all!!  

But now I'm spooked by all this criticism of joins and glue jobs, and 3 piece necks (even though my Seagull Coastline Grand parlor has a 3 piece neck and I think compares very favorably with the Larrivee P's).  Joinery and glue are so TERRIBLE!!!

I say lets just put the strings on the tree and play 'em that way !!   :wink: ( :humour:)
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I tried one at the local guitar place.  I loved it and went back 2 more times to play it.  I was almost going to pull the trigger when I found the 00-03 online.  Now I'm torn between the two.  Either way I have to sell my L-03 Walnut (and more if I go for the 00). 
I've got to figure it out soon.  If my wife sees me looking at more guitars online she's libel to take the kid and leave me with the dog.

the obvious solution for those concerned about the new 3-piece neck is to steer clear and buy an older 1-piece neck model.  They seem to be readily available and relatively cheap both locally and online.  Certainly a buyers market now anyway.  I've purchased  Larrivee, Guild, and Taylor upper-end models in the past 3 months for great prices.  This wood scarcity is only going to become more of an issue as time goes on.  Builders claim 'environmental responsibility', and now must adhere to pretty stringent regulations, but the truth is that it's also more cost effective to use multiple pieces of cheaper wood for constructing necks, sides, backs, headstocks, etc, and in the recent economy cost-cutting steps are being taken everywhere.  The recent Gibson bust over the CITES treaty will only make builders more paranoid about their wood sources and induce less risk-taking for premium quality woods. Personally I would never buy a new acoustic guitar.  Much prefer to find older, well cared for instruments that have had time to open up and reveal their true tonal characteristics.  My old Martin D-18 sounds nothing like the new ones, the aged wood has much more depth of tone and that classic woody Martin signature tone.  I bought it for less than a new one costs and it's over 30 years old.  I've also had great luck with buying older Guilds of late, MUCH cheaper than the inferior Fender-made Tacoma models IMO and with nicely aged tonewoods from older growth trees.  Sure a shiny new guitar is a beautiful thing, but when you combine today's production techniques with the lesser quality woods available i can't justify buying new.  I'll take 'vintage' every time.  Certainly there are many custom builders out there bucking this trend, however their instruments are priced beyond the reach of most average players.
'66 Guild F212
'87 Guild JF30-12
'07 Larrivee L-09
'03 Taylor 812C
'79 Fender Strat
'73 Guild D-35
'76 Rickenbacker 360-12
'72 Guild F212XL
'84 Gibson ES-335
'66 Martin D-18
'09 Larrivee LV-09K Parlor
'69 Fender Telecaster
'56 Harmony H-72
'69 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop
'71 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Cherry Sunburst
'01 Very Underst

Quote from: bbblacksheep on August 27, 2009, 06:31:24 AM
Hey LEEMO, the specs can be seen here as well as here.  I have a thing for herringbone so I'm really looking forward to it!  What I'm really curious about is this 3-piece neck...  Ahh, the more I look at the pics, the more I want it!   :laughin:

The Elderly spec shows an Italian Alpine top while the other set of specs you linked indicate a Canadian Spruce top. Is that a special Elderly model or something? I think Can Spruce is standard, right? Or is it Alpine?

Brett
* Larrivee: Forum 3; Italian Spruce with Rosewood back and sides
* Martin: OM-42
* Martin: Custom Maury Meuhlheisen D-35
* Martin: 000-17 SM
* Emerald: X7/OS Custom
* Gibson: Les Paul

Quote from: Escalibore on April 03, 2010, 11:19:04 AM
The Elderly spec shows an Italian Alpine top while the other set of specs you linked indicate a Canadian Spruce top. Is that a special Elderly model or something? I think Can Spruce is standard, right? Or is it Alpine?

Brett

Hi Brett both Alpine and Sitka were used with no way to distinguish the two. Some received alpine tops while others received sitka.

Quote from: CoronaR8R on April 03, 2010, 04:04:30 PM
Hi Brett both Alpine and Sitka were used with no way to distinguish the two. Some received alpine tops while others received sitka.

I can't understand why they'd do this. They could offer Alpine Spruce as an upgrade. I'd certainly hope that dealers would have a way to know whether a model is Alpine or Sitka via serial number.

Brett
* Larrivee: Forum 3; Italian Spruce with Rosewood back and sides
* Martin: OM-42
* Martin: Custom Maury Meuhlheisen D-35
* Martin: 000-17 SM
* Emerald: X7/OS Custom
* Gibson: Les Paul

Quote from: norton on February 02, 2010, 04:22:32 PM
I have a good friend that used to be a Larrivee dealer.  With that connection, a love of trading, and inherent personal weaknesses I ended up owning at least a couple dozen Larrivees over a period of several years.  The parlors were my favorite, and accounted for at least half that total.   I owned every flavor they made plus a couple customs.  I say all that to establish my credentials as someone with some Larrivee Parlor experience.

I'm not going into the details of what I didn't like about my earlier guitars - just my opinions and no need to bruise any feelings.  I've had the glossy models, but prefer the 03 at any $.  I'll just say that my new P-03 with it's maple binding, herringbone, satin, and pickguard is a much improved version and as close as I've ever come to the perfect Larrivee!  I remember the days when I could buy them for under $400, but this one at double that price came with the above appointments plus an excellent quality archtop case as opposed to the gigbags I used to get.  I can't honestly compare sound since I'd strayed from the Larrivee fold for several years, but I know if not better it's every bit as good since it still stuns me after my long history of way too many guitars.  I still have a couple expensive vintage and small builder guitars that are very impressive, but I can honestly say I don't have a guitar I prefer over this new parlor.  At twice the price I'd still love it.  I'm certainly not going to let a perfectly reasonable switch in neck building or a few extra $ ruin my enjoyment.  Just my .02

norton, i appreciate so much your opinion about the new P-03. I've looked at the pics of these 3-piece necks and they look fine to me. I guess one could say I'm not a purist when it comes to insisting on a 1-piece neck. They are nicely done and looks like one piece.

i heard some of the P-03s came with a spruce top and some came with the Alpine or Italian Spruce. I wonder if anyone has tried both and if there's a distinct difference. If any, what would be the better sounding one - spruce or IS top?

I currently own a P-03 Walnut Special Edition, which I like a lot size-wise and sound-wise.

ricky

The one I tried, owned by another forum member bbblacksheep, had the Itlian spruce.  It's lighter in colour than sitka. Italian spruce has a sparkle in the high end that I love.  My FIII has the same thing.  The new P-03s are really fun to play and they sound great.  I love Larrivee Parlors and hope to own one again one day. 

Hey Ricky!!!!  Long time! 

Denis,

Thanks! Hope all is well with you.

I like the IS-top in my FIII rosewood myself.
If I were to ever purchase a P-03, I'll make sure it has the IS. It's just better than the sitka spruce to my ears.

For now, my Parlor Walnut satisfies my couch guitar and travelling guitar needs.

Just reconnecting with our Forum family.  :donut :coffee (Have some Tim's or Starbucks, whichever you prefer  :smile:)

ricky

About several-piece necks: Lowden and other high end builders use laminated necks too. Laminating the neck can actually make it stronger. I think the consensus is that this is mainly a cosmetic issue. If one has to worry about something, I would worry more about what quality wood is used. As usual, play the guitar before buying. If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: frankhond on April 23, 2010, 12:50:36 PM
About several-piece necks: Lowden and other high end builders use laminated necks too. Laminating the neck can actually make it stronger. I think the consensus is that this is mainly a cosmetic issue. If one has to worry about something, I would worry more about what quality wood is used. As usual, play the guitar before buying. If it sounds good, it is good.

Haven't Taylors always been multi-piece necks?