LR Baggs in OM-03e making a ssssssshhhhhhh sound

Started by dragonfly66, April 14, 2010, 04:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The electronics worked fine for the first 1 hour I used it and now I get this ssssshhhh sound over the top of my playing.  At one point the sound totally cut out and all I heard was sssshhhh, but everytime since then I can hear myself playing as well as the ssssshhh sound. If I cut the volume down on the guitar the sssssshhhh goes away.

Here is what I've tried. 

I tried a different guitar with the same amp, same cable no problems.
I tried a different cable with OM-03e same sssshhhh sound.
I tried same cable different amp with OM-03e, same ssssshhhh sound.

I'm pretty certain this is a problem with the LR Baggs electronics.  So my question is, has this happened to anyone else?  What did you do?

You should contact LR Baggs, they could probably tell you exactly what is wrong and maybe even repair it or replace it for free.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I just left a message for Brian at LR Baggs.  Brian was on the phone so I hope he gets back to me before they close in an hour.

LR Baggs has a lot of options for your guitar. What unit are you using? Did you install it?
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Don't take this the wrong way, but you did check to make certain you had a fresh battery in the preamp?  These systems can act very wonky when the battery gets low.

I tried a new battery (I didn't take the suggestion the wrong way, sometimes solutions are simple)
I tried a different output cable (from my M1a)

I talked with Brian at LR Baggs today and they apparently have issues with that pre-amp because of how it was designed.  He said he hadn't heard this particular problem with that unit, but that it does sound like a capacitor issue within the pre-amp.  He offered to fix it, BUT he recommended I get the new stage pro which doesn't have the mid selector, but does have a built in tuner.  So I'm going for the new stage pro.  It has the same foot print and screw pattern so swapping out will be easy.  I'm leaving the input and output wires in place. The replacement is costing me the shipping to ship the old pre-amp to them.

AWESOME!!

Sounds cool.Whay to go as a company to solve the problem and admit its a design flaw.Maybe they should start making them in the US again,instead of Taiwan.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I've had really good experiences with LR Baggs as a company as well. Getting to talk to an actual tech or engineer that knows the product and will help you is HUGE these days. Plus, their concern is always to make it right and they do, pretty much, whatever it takes.

Congrats on getting a resolution!
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass