GAS vs. GAIP

Started by blindblakefan1, December 23, 2009, 09:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: 01strat on December 25, 2009, 12:50:55 AM
The point I'm trying to make is that no one has the right to be so condescending and to take a "holier-than-thou" high road attitude when he or she cannot claim to be completely immune to all the world's pleasures, indulgences, and temptations. 

01 Strat, Uh, EVERYONE has a right to their own worldview. In a mostly free country, on a mostly free internet, EVERYONE is entitled to post their opinions on just about any particular topic. You see, the beauty in this is the corollary that ANYONE is free to disagree with EVERYONE and then post their opinions. Ya see how wonderful this little paradigm is? Ultimately, one is free to just ignore debates they would not like to engage in and to engage in those they chose to be part of.

Now when the P.C. coolaid drinking types start piping up and spouting off their worldview, cloaked in phases like "no one has the right to..............", that is where the trouble begins. On this note: I'll just chalk this thread up as a sign of the current zeitgeist..............

Yes everyone has the right to express thier views, short of inciting a riot, But I'm not sure it's all PC going on. Some people's response to to a person who admits they messed up is going to be different than your's or mine or the next guys. It doesn't mean the goal is to blow it off just so you don't hurt thier feelings. If I was clever enough to always help someone while keeping things positive and with understanding, I would. Tough love as last, but sometimes needed resort. Starting out by telling them that they messed up, which they already know, often backfires if your goal is to give helpful advise.(Raising kids makes you think a lot about these things)  It also smells of sounding like you are admireing yourself for your own discipline or sense which really isn't helpful. I know cause I can catch myself doing it. They messed up, so I can puff myself up.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Points well taken.  True that we're fortunate to live in a democratic society and to do as we please, believe as we will, and say what we wish. 

zeitgeist - now that's a word!!!! - I had to look it up as admittedly never noticed it before  according to Webster "trend of the times" - luv this Forum so much to offer.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)