Living dangerously without a pickguard

Started by hadden, December 04, 2009, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My new L-03so had a teardrop guard. I don't like those so I took it off using the hairdryer method. The glue came off easily with a cotton cloth and warm water. There's a tan line. I like the ghost shape though. It will even out, but it looks allright to me as it is.

I am going to leave the top bare and watch to see if it gets scratched too much over the next while. I don't think it will with my playing style.  If so I'll just get finish touch-ups; I'm sure it will take ages before this will be necessary if at all. I'm not one who needs things pristine anyway and I've never liked the look of guards, clear or traditional.

So I've been eyeing the mylar on my LV-03r thinking I'll take that one off as well. I like the idea of there not being the extra inert mass on top, however small. Even putting my finger lightly on the top after hitting a chord I do notice a little constriction deflation in the sound, so what the heck, I'm going to do this one as well. At the very least I like the look better.

L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on December 04, 2009, 08:57:59 AM
My new L-03so had a teardrop guard. I don't like those so I took it off using the hairdryer method. The glue came off easily with a cotton cloth and warm water. There's a tan line. I like the ghost shape though. It will even out, but it looks allright to me as it is.

I am going to leave the top bare and watch to see if it gets scratched too much over the next while. I don't think it will with my playing style.  If so I'll just get finish touch-ups; I'm sure it will take ages before this will be necessary if at all. I'm not one who needs things pristine anyway and I've never liked the look of guards, clear or traditional.

So I've been eyeing the mylar on my LV-03r thinking I'll take that one off as well. I like the idea of there not being the extra inert mass on top, however small. Even putting my finger lightly on the top after hitting a chord I do notice a little constriction deflation in the sound, so what the heck, I'm going to do this one as well. At the very least I like the look better.

You'll need to be careful of strangers who stagger. My '75 had no pick guard once upon a time and I learned an ugly but no doubt valuable lesson about lots of beer, friends of friends and guitars without pickguards. All fixed now though.   

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 04, 2009, 09:36:26 AM
You'll need to be careful of strangers who stagger. My '75 had no pick guard once upon a time and I learned an ugly but no doubt valuable lesson about lots of beer, friends of friends and guitars without pickguards. All fixed now though.  

Drinkers don't drive my guitars. I know how it might go in those situations so I usually hide my gits in the closet. If they want to get musical they can turn the chip bowl over and bang on that.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on December 04, 2009, 10:06:08 AM
Drinkers don't drive my guitars. I know how it might go in those situations so I usually hide my gits in the closet. If they want to get musical they can turn the chip bowl over and bang on that.

1977. Having to work in the A.M., I went to bed while my housemate and his friend played guitar. I pulled out my guitar the next day and nearly had a heart attack. Yes the closet would have been the best bet.