F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At this point, I think we all should just be thankful that Larrivee is willing to do these Forum guitars, and not push our luck - with either Larrivee or Jim at Trinity.

I know, I know; "WE are the customer, WE are the ones paying for this, so shouldn't we have more say"...but we are not a dealer (but working through one). And, "In this economy, why, shouldn't Larrivee be thanking us for our orders?"  I understand all that (being the hardcore capitalist that I am!).

But Larrivee is building something a little different for us (not a current model/current specs), and now we're starting to get itchy to add other options, when we were clearly told - no other changes or options, period. Any local luthier can change the tuners if Jim doesn't have time - it's just not a big deal, and - IMHO - not worth bugging him about. He's already willing to do saddles, nuts (and pickguards, I assume).  And again, we're getting a FANTASTIC PRICE on these - have we forgotten that?

It's a little like the thread that started up on Forum V - and thinking you're gonna twist Jean's arm to use cedar when he's clearly said, Larrivees aren't built with cedar tops (anymore - yeah, there used to be some; I guess he wasn't completely satisfied with the results). Why even tease yourself? That's why there are other makers out there...we all can spend our money wherever we want! Someday I may buy a nice acoustic that's not a Larrivee to get something that Larrivee doesn't make - fair enough...no sense trying to convince Jean to tool up for my fantasy guitar if someone else already makes it.

I'm sorry, just playing devil's advocate, and maybe a lot of this chatter is just to pass the time while the build is going on (understandable)...but we knew the rules when we started the build, and now we're like a kid who's trying to push curfew from Midnight to 1:00 a.m.

Also, if Larrivee is in the midst of a move, we need to keep that in mind as to when these will get started/finished.  We haven't heard much more about that, so we're all just speculating...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I can have the tuners done by someone else, but Jim expressed interest in doing mine. If he decides he wants to do more, his choice. Nobody is asking for more than we're getting, nor do we even know what tuners are coming on these guitars. I told Jim it would be good to wait & see what is on them. Nobody's pushing work onto Jim that he doesn't want to do. He'll either do more than just mine or decide he doesn't want to tackle more. It's neither my decision nor yours.
   Ask Larrivee to put different tuners on? No changes to the specs & that's how they work. Jim had showed an interest in my tuner swap. If it's something profitable to him & affordable to us, we both win. If he doesn't want to do more than mine, so be it. Don't worry, Jim will let you know if he doesn't have the time & we're "bothering" him about it. Any money he can make in a profitable way, God bless him. It's his decision, not yours or mine. Thought that was made clear already? No one tells Jim what to do, so it's not in our hands. The Larrivee option must have been made by someone with a wishlist, because that just won't happen.
   You can play "Devil's  Advocate" if you want, but bottom line is it's Jim's call. He didn't hesitate about my tuners, but Jim & I have a pretty good relationship. I've bought 2 guitars from him, besides the Forum ones. Speaks his mind & is really anxious to get back to building. The tuner swap is probably a 15 minute job for him, so a good way to make a little mullah? Again, he has the final word, not us. :beer
    Jeff
   Don't drink, but a nice, cold beer shared can smooth over many things! :thumb
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Yep gotta say I side with Jeff on this one. We are only asking as customers and not looking for something for nothing. Personally if Larrivee can't put them on initially then to get Mr HOLLER would be my 1st choice even one I would be willing to wait for him to install. AND it's not something I expect him to do for free - of course he would charge us the fee!!!!!! I am totally lost at why this is viewed as a negative  :?  :?  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Don't take it the wrong way, but mine is not just ramblings. I'm assumming you're referring to the negative things. Jim jumped on it when I mentioned the possibility of new tuners, asking me what page in Stew-Mac the Grovers were listed on. If they come in with Pings, I'm doing my thing with Jim. Still might, as I want open geared vintage style ones & a black Martin style pickguard. If Jim doesn't have any, which I'll ask him, I'll just call Stew-Mac & have them send one to him. Don't want the Larrivee p/g with the over done colors. Just my opinion on that one.
   Up to Jim if he wants to take on others tuner replacements. I guess you're on your own with him as far as that goes? I'm set!
     Jeff

Quote from: BluesMan1 on February 03, 2010, 12:19:43 PM
  Don't take it the wrong way, but mine is not just ramblings. I'm assumming you're referring to the negative things. Jim jumped on it when I mentioned the possibility of new tuners, asking me what page in Stew-Mac the Grovers were listed on. If they come in with Pings, I'm doing my thing with Jim. Still might, as I want open geared vintage style ones & a black Martin style pickguard. If Jim doesn't have any, which I'll ask him, I'll just call Stew-Mac & have them send one to him. Don't want the Larrivee p/g with the over done colors. Just my opinion on that one.
  Up to Jim if he wants to take on others tuner replacements. I guess you're on your own with him as far as that goes? I'm set!
    Jeff
Bad choice of wording on my part Jeff. I appreciate your posts and effort.

I think I should have taken more time and said. "We are just rambling, like floating down a big slow moving river on a raft, just waiting to see what's around the next bend. So we spend the time in discussions that may not really add up to a lot. Some may be perceived as negative and they may be. So we need a little encouragement, thus an answer to a moody post may be intended to uplift the mood and yet be perceived as a counter measure to another post and on and on."

Meanwhile... back at the raft, we just keep staring at that next bend and wondering what may be around it. And when the trip may be over.

Dan, you should write poetry. Very well said in a cool way. My only point is that Jim might do more tuners than mine, if enough want them. That's up to him & those others interested. After reading your post, I'm so calm & my mind in another place, I'm going to take an early nap!!! Thanks!! :thumb
     Jeff

Quote from: dependan on February 03, 2010, 12:32:53 PM
  Bad choice of wording on my part Jeff. I appreciate your posts and effort.

I think I should have taken more time and said. "We are just rambling, like floating down a big slow moving river on a raft, just waiting to see what's around the next bend. So we spend the time in discussions that may not really add up to a lot. Some may be perceived as negative and they may be. So we need a little encouragement, thus an answer to a moody post may be intended to uplift the mood and yet be perceived as a counter measure to another post and on and on."

Meanwhile... back at the raft, we just keep staring at that next bend and wondering what may be around it. And when the trip may be over.

That's kinda what I thought...I just wondered if it was turning a little sour toward Larrivee because of a lack of choices for tuners, etc. ... my bad. I'm as anxious as everyone else, and Jeff, you're right, it's Mr. Holler's call if he has the time and willingness to do add-ons. I haven't spoken with him, you have. I just made an assumption (oops!) from something I read in another post regarding the Forum III guitars - the point being made was that the Forum III project turned into a very time-consuming (albeit I'm sure profitable) amount of work for him, with around 80 instruments.  But if he doesn't mind, great!

Let the meandering down the lazy river continue...and pass me an oar!  :thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

There are many forum members skilled at set up and repair work. There is a nice little business opportunity here for working on customisation of the forum guitars. Maybe a spin off TV show 'pimp my forum guitar' is on the cards. 
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

FYI, there was no choice of tuners on the Forum III.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: lyric_girl on February 03, 2010, 08:37:07 PM
FYI, there was no choice of tuners on the Forum III.
I've got a little story on this matter. When we were all in Vancouver and Edwin was about to start the setup of the F-III's for those of us who were there I took my guitar off the rack and handed it to him. He was a very pleasant an began setting it up.
     I started taking pictures as he was drilling holes and putting on the various parts. As he was drilling the headstock for the tuners I noticed several packs of mini Shallers on the work table along with the Pings. I asked if I could have the Schallers instead and he said that he thought I could, but we would need to drill different size holes and he would need to put my guitar back until last.
     Well y'all can probably guess what I said. Being such a patient person :whistling: I immediately said, no that's OK let's just use the Pings. Then when he was finished I strung up my guitar (twice :blush:) and was the first to play an F-III.                          
                                 But I did have a choice in tuners for about 2 seconds :thumbsup

Quote from: dependan on February 03, 2010, 08:53:13 PM
  I've got a little story on this matter. When we were all in Vancouver and Edwin was about to start the setup of the F-III's for those of us who were there I took my guitar off the rack and handed it to him. He was a very pleasant an began setting it up.
      I started taking pictures as he was drilling holes and putting on the various parts. As he was drilling the headstock for the tuners I noticed several packs of mini Shallers on the work table along with the Pings. I asked if I could have the Schallers instead and he said that he thought I could, but we would need to drill different size holes and he would need to put my guitar back until last.
      Well y'all can probably guess what I said. Being such a patient person :whistling: I immediately said, no that's OK let's just use the Pings. Then when he was finished I strung up my guitar (twice :blush:) and was the first to play an F-III.                         
                                  But I did have a choice in tuners for about 2 seconds :thumbsup

Wow, wish I had of known that. I would have definitely had him put the Shallers on instead.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: lyric_girl on February 04, 2010, 06:45:07 PM
Wow, wish I had of known that. I would have definitely had him put the Shallers on instead.

Yup 
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I have owned two LSV-11's and the first one came with Pings, while the second had Schallers. Honestly I felt no difference in the two. I know when Pings get a bit older they do slip though. I think I would prefer Gotoh if I were to change from the Larrivee branded Pings. I like the variations they offer in colors of tuners and buttons.

Wonder if Larrivee will soon move away from The Pings as definitely the weak link on this brand - and no real reason for it that I can imagine.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 04, 2010, 09:09:08 PM
no real reason for it that I can imagine.

Keep imagining.  Larrivee uses Pings for the same reason Taylor does, significant savings over Gotoh or Schaler machines.  Per guitar it's not that huge a savings, but it definitely adds up.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 04, 2010, 09:09:08 PM
Wonder if Larrivee will soon move away from The Pings as definitely the weak link on this brand - and no real reason for it that I can imagine.

and also the "famous" Cleartone string...  :whistling:

cheers,
Peter

The F-IIIs came with D'Addario EXP lights. Think Larrivee is sticking to those as their coated string of choice. Man, Dan, I agree with Lynda about the Shallers. But patience is a virtue that not all have.
   Personally, my Pings on my F-III stay in tune forever. Got back home after having my knee replaced, my main worry being humidity monitoring while I was away. Came home last week, the humidity on both of my acoustics was 47%. Over-humidified to cover the length of time I would be away. Took my F-III out & was almost dead-on in tune. The Shallers on my L-10, the same. Want to upgrade for ascetics & a little more precise tuning, but these Pings are holding their own.
   As far as the strings, Jim stocks alot more now with his bigger shop. When I asked him if I should send him a set of EJ-16s to throw on, since he's doing a bone nut for me also, he said he stocked them now. Think all should just wait until the F-IVs come in to discuss modding them out. Seemed to be wait Jim preferred?
   Waiting is still waiting. It's no fun. One idea I have is to buy a black OO size pick guard & have Jim put it on mine. Think it will look cooler than a tortoise shell one? And, more period correct for the Martin -17 series I'm looking to match up a little?
     Jeff

Quote from: BluesMan1 on February 05, 2010, 11:44:36 AM
   One idea I have is to buy a black OO size pick guard & have Jim put it on mine. Think it will look cooler than a tortoise shell one? And, more period correct for the Martin -17 series I'm looking to match up a little?
     Jeff

1) I think that Larrivee uses nice wood, and it's a shame to cover the wood with an ugly pickguard. (my 4 Larri.s have the old clear guards)
2) The look of the tortoise guard (on the hog top) is definitely growing on me. Still hate it on Sitka, but on the hog tops...
3) Yeah, a black PG would look more "Martin like", though I think they used tortoise some years as well.  It won't look that Martin like as the Larrivee will have much nicer (and contrasting) binding.

4) I'd ask Jim to leave the pickguard off, buy the black one yourself, and decide in person.

What gauge is the Forum IV set for?  I just noticed that the spruce top 00-03 is set up for medium gauge.  I always think medium gauge strings are for jumbo-like guitars to take advantage of the larger body volume.  I expected light strings will be used for a couch guitar like 00 or a parlor. Am I correct?
Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst