F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The first ones were the 03 parlors that were just released this fall.

Can someone please explain the problem with Larrivee's three piece neck?  Is it just cosmetics to which people feel uncomfortable?  Multi-piece necks have been used by Taylor and other guitar makers for years.  Given that mahogany is so expensive, isn't it better that this type of neck saves wood and is supposedly stronger than a one piece as well?  I saw this post explaining the merits of Taylor's scarf joint.

http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1461663

Quote from: 01strat on December 09, 2009, 11:42:51 PM
Can someone please explain the problem with Larrivee's three piece neck?  Is it just cosmetics to which people feel uncomfortable?  Multi-piece necks have been used by Taylor and other guitar makers for years.  Given that mahogany is so expensive, isn't it better that this type of neck saves wood and is supposedly stronger than a one piece as well?  ...
The problem, if it really is one, is the end of a tradition of one-piece necks.  Most guitar geeks consider it inevitable on all but the fanciest of guitars.  The Forum IV guitar is likely priced as reasonable as it is due to the lower costs of the new necks.  (Martin has used "wings" on the headstocks for a few years now, except for the GE and Authentic series.  Yeah, even the vaunted D-28 doesn't have a one-piece neck.  Heck, it might be made of Spanish cedar.)

It is not a big deal, really, but sometimes tradition is just very hard to break.
Play it daily for best results.

I guess I just associate a 3-piece neck with an inferior brand, you know, like Taylor.  Structurally there is nothing wrong with a 3-piece (it's actually stronger)  it's just somewhat lacking aesthetically.  And yeah, it's probably inevitable.

Quote from: AZLiberty on December 10, 2009, 12:28:37 AM
And yeah, it's probably inevitable.

If they'd make 'em out of plastic, there'd be no problem making them one piece.   :roll

Ed  (inferior brands...  you guys crack me up sometimes)

the picture I've seen of the larrivee 3 piece neck seem not to be sandwiched together length wise but are on top of each other? thought the neck issue would have been confirmed on day one ,and not still waiting conformation a few days before orders are due to be closed.

Quote from: sniggs on December 10, 2009, 07:12:58 AM
the picture I've seen of the larrivee 3 piece neck seem not to be sandwiched together length wise but are on top of each other? thought the neck issue would have been confirmed on day one ,and not still waiting conformation a few days before orders are due to be closed.
Well, at this point it's just us chickens. And all we can do is cluck,squawk and peck around until the Rooster decides to crow.

I have heard from Jim Holler, who has not heard back from Larrivee. I reminded Jim this is up for an order closing of December 15th. edit; Jim forwarded my e-mail on to the Larrivee Representative which expressed all these concerns.

Cluck,cluck, squawk,scratch, peck, peck. Where is that rooster :?

Quote from: 01strat on December 09, 2009, 11:42:51 PM
Can someone please explain the problem with Larrivee's three piece neck?

Given that mahogany is so expensive, isn't it better that this type of neck saves wood and is supposedly stronger than a one piece as well?
There is the answer in your own post. But as the prof said we like tradition, but I'll take the 3 piece if it is what they are using now.

Has any member actually received the new 00-03 from the limited run yet?
       It would be good to know how that one was made, because ours should be about the same.

Quote from: sniggs on December 10, 2009, 07:12:58 AM

Firstly the outstanding SPECS will not affect my decision in the least. However it might some thus in fairness to those that it does should consideration not be given to extending the order date til say 2 weeks or so after the final specs are in?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Guitar Adoptions has the specs online for the 00-03and it says a 1 piece mahogany neck.  The only 3 pice necks I've ever seen on a Larrivee is on those little parlors.  I would love for it to be a one piece but as I said before, I will take the 00-03MT with a 3 piece neck if that's waht it comes with...

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 10, 2009, 09:47:22 AM
Firstly the outstanding SPECS will not affect my decision in the least. However it might some thus in fairness to those that it does should consideration not be given to extending the order date til say 2 weeks or so after the final specs are in?
I personally think an extension of two more weeks is meaningless. It will be two "dead weeks" for most people. Traveling, business closed and just more delay in the process of getting the "build" started. Plus two more weeks of speculation and hand wringing.
                If a forum member has not received a new 00-03 yet,maybe we could ask a shop that has received one (like LA Guitars). Just how they were made. Then we would not have to delay this more.
                At any rate "Larrivee" should step forward and end this, with some clarity.

Quote from: dependan on December 10, 2009, 08:52:45 AM

Has any member actually received the new 00-03 from the limited run yet?
       It would be good to know how that one was made, because ours should be about the same.

No.  But I'm ready and waiting.

Ed

Admittedly I may not be the brightest BUT I can't imagine quoting a cost and not be fully aware of the Specs before I quote the $figure,  just me though. I know this post is not helpful BUT seems very odd to me
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Could also be the factory doesn't want to be pinned down on specific details, since they don't have a firm quantity for the order yet. If the order were for 6 guitars, it may be no problem with 1 piece necks if they have the stock on hand, but if they get an order for 20 or 30 guitars, they may not have enough of the right material to make them all one piece - It's not like this stuff just grows on trees -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

''It's not like this stuff just grows on trees - ''

HMMMMM :winkin:

It's not like this stuff just grows on trees -

:laughin:

Ladies and gentelmen.............Tad Youngman.......... :roll

I think extending it is a good idea for some.  Most of us have budgets around Christmas time and may have a challange comming up with a "few hun" before then for a deposit.  I know some folks are not patient enough to wait.  But, some folks may do "without" if more time is not given.  Just something to think about.  Most members have planty of guitars to play until the new one comes.  Why not give other folks a chance to fork up the deposit with inflicting pressure on them.  more time past the 15th seems logical, but I am not driving this bus either.
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

Quote from: Bltprf502 on December 10, 2009, 04:23:40 PM
I think extending it is a good idea for some.  Most of us have budgets around Christmas time and may have a challange comming up with a "few hun" before then for a deposit.  I know some folks are not patient enough to wait.  But, some folks may do "without" if more time is not given.  Just something to think about.  Most members have planty of guitars to play until the new one comes.  Why not give other folks a chance to fork up the deposit with inflicting pressure on them.  more time past the 15th seems logical, but I am not driving this bus either.
Let's do another thread, if you would could you start it? Then we could just ask how many would seriously be interested if it was postponed. Frankly I am flat out against any more delay, but I'm not the forum.
                So start a thread for SERIOUS buyers only, so we don't have 500 posts with 1000 opinions and another slough of despond to waid through to just buy a little 00 MT.
                I'll be behind what the forum members decide.
     Until then the deadline is December 15th. (Maybe I need to fly to Van City and knock on the door of the factory)