OM03PA
Favorite saying
OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Wherever you go in life... there you are.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

This road is so busy, everyone avoids it.

Out of curiosity, I went back to page one to see how this very long thread got its start.  It was kind of sad to notice that most of the names on the first several pages never appear around here anymore.  I wonder what happened?  Did these folks get rid of their Larrivee guitars and then feel like they couldn't participate here any longer?  Did they just lose interest in the place?  Some might have died? 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on September 23, 2023, 07:44:21 AMOut of curiosity, I went back to page one to see how this very long thread got its start.  It was kind of sad to notice that most of the names on the first several pages never appear around here anymore.  I wonder what happened?  Did these folks get rid of their Larrivee guitars and then feel like they couldn't participate here any longer?  Did they just lose interest in the place?  Some might have died? 

Is there a forum ender?  :ohmy:

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 23, 2023, 08:13:52 AMIs there a forum ender?  :ohmy:
Good question.  I'm not sure, but I have seen a trend in my years of participating on guitar forums: when someone gets rid of a certain brand of guitar, they tend to lose all interest in that brand and abandon the forum dedicated to it.  It seems to me that a guitar is a very personal purchase/object and many times people feel personally and emotionally connected to a brand and company.  And when that guitar is gone, so is the connection, etc.  I have experienced this myself.  Odd stuff but we are odd creatures.

Just out of curiosity, I did the math and since inception, this thread has averaged one post per day. My theory is that one of three things probably happened:

One, forum members may have run out of things to say or,

Two, they bought a Martin and the binding came off and they are either busy posting comments about that or they decided to end it all or,

Three, they are spending more time playing than posting.

In closing, I have purchased three guitars since this thread started back in 2009 including a new Martin, a used Alvarez that I couldn't pass up and a new Larrivee Forum VI.

Your comment about the Martin binding made me laugh out loud.   :roll

"As the global leading brand name in quality acoustic guitars, we should try a new cheaper plastic binding.  What could possibly go wrong??"  - Martin guitars
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

I've been reading about the Martin binding issues over at the AGF.  What a nightmare...

Quote from: Silence Dogood on September 23, 2023, 09:16:08 AMGood question.  I'm not sure, but I have seen a trend in my years of participating on guitar forums: when someone gets rid of a certain brand of guitar, they tend to lose all interest in that brand and abandon the forum dedicated to it.  It seems to me that a guitar is a very personal purchase/object and many times people feel personally and emotionally connected to a brand and company.  And when that guitar is gone, so is the connection, etc.  I have experienced this myself.  Odd stuff but we are odd creatures.

I still own a Martin but never go to UMF anymore. Too many Martin assholes. 

Quote from: teh on September 23, 2023, 09:24:23 AMJust out of curiosity, I did the math and since inception, this thread has averaged one post per day. My theory is that one of three things probably happened:

One, forum members may have run out of things to say or,

Two, they bought a Martin and the binding came off and they are either busy posting comments about that or they decided to end it all or,

Three, they are spending more time playing than posting.

In closing, I have purchased three guitars since this thread started back in 2009 including a new Martin, a used Alvarez that I couldn't pass up and a new Larrivee Forum VI.

Yeah, maybe most have figured out what the best strings are for their guitar.  :laughin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 23, 2023, 01:03:09 PMI still own a Martin but never go to UMF anymore. Too many Martin assholes. 
Why not say how you really feel? 
 :humour:

Quote from: Silence Dogood on September 23, 2023, 01:10:26 PMWhy not say how you really feel? 
 :humour:

To be fair, there were and are lots of nice people posting there but my comment is very true. You say anything remotely critical of the holy grail and you have people jumping down your throat. I once criticized the fact that Martin did not finish the top of my 1975 D-35 under the pickguard saying it seemed a little stupid. OMG! How dare I? When I pointed out that they no longer leave part of the top unfinished ... crickets.  :laughin:   

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 23, 2023, 02:12:42 PMTo be fair, there were and are lots of nice people posting there but my comment is very true. You say anything remotely critical of the holy grail and you have people jumping down your throat. I once criticized the fact that Martin did not finish the top of my 1975 D-35 under the pickguard saying it seemed a little stupid. OMG! How dare I? When I pointed out that they no longer leave part of the top unfinished ... crickets.  :laughin:   
I didn't realize Martin had such a cult following.  They've always sort of seemed like the Levi's jeans or Nike shoes of the guitar world to me.  Very good stuff but also ubiquitous and owned by lots of different kind of folks.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on September 23, 2023, 03:17:07 PMI didn't realize Martin had such a cult following.  They've always sort of seemed like the Levi's jeans or Nike shoes of the guitar world to me.  Very good stuff but also ubiquitous and owned by lots of different kind of folks.

Well, things have changed but when I was a younger man, there was not that much to choose from in the world of first class guitars. Martin, Gibson and Guild with the former, since they'd been around since Adam was a toddler, being the basically accepted number one. Yamaha made some decent less expensive guitars and Ovation was making some noise and a small Canadian company was making some very nice guitars but a Martin was a Martin. This was before Martin decided to try to make a few models that were more affordable. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on September 23, 2023, 03:17:07 PMI didn't realize Martin had such a cult following. 
These days, there's a cult for just about everything.
 :rolleye:

Quote from: Queequeg on September 23, 2023, 06:39:42 PMThese days, there's a cult for just about everything.
 :rolleye:

And I'm still an odd man out?  :?

I once thought that I should be a Martin guy all my favs played them.Me I was just not a fan of the feel or the tone I produced playing them.I like certain modals the 35's have always a like guitar.I played a 1939 D45 once BUT $125k no way not that good.Koamon had a D3-18 3 piece hog back that was really nice but alas a DV10 Koa came into his life :whistling: .
Why some folks aren't here much anymore its more then likely simply LIFE.

keep smilin and keep dancin :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Yeah Unrob, I thought I was a Martin guy myself until you introduced me to Larrivee guitars more particularly the Koa ones. I thought that GOM Martin D3-18 I got in 1991 was the cat's meow, but the NAMM DV-10K I traded it for in 2001 still is and will continue to be in my stable. After over 20 years, unlike a Martin, the bracing has kept the top flat as a board. (The binding hasn't delaminated either) The tone and playability has improved over the decades and will need no stinking neck reset in my lifetime. As Matt Damon would ask, "Do you like apples?"

On the other hand, to me Martins are oranges...

Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Composite Acoustics Cargo
UnclRob's Parts Telecaster

Mmmm... Koa  :drool:
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09