Will I ever figure out how to strum?

Started by lyric_girl, July 17, 2009, 08:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I too suffer from "strum envy ". As the years pass my strumming improves never the less great strumming eludes me. I picked up a cheap classical guitar and taught myself to finger pick. Much to the amazement of my guitar strumming buddies I finger pick much better then I strum. Perhaps your Brain is wired like mine and finger picking might be your forte.  
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

Quote from: mas music on September 02, 2009, 05:08:44 PM
I too suffer from "strum envy ". As the years pass my strumming improves never the less great strumming eludes me. I picked up a cheap classical guitar and taught myself to finger pick. Much to the amazement of my guitar strumming buddies I finger pick much better then I strum. Perhaps your Brain is weird like mine and finger picking might be your forte.  

Strumming, flatpicking, fingerpicking etc. are all specific skill sets.   It takes a lot of practice at any of those methods to become good at it.   However,  it takes an enormous amount of dedication to master any of them.  Most people learn to strum first and gradually pick up some of the other skills as they progress.  I think that if you are already a pretty good picker you could become a good strummer fairly easily.

Lynda,  I wish I had a secret or shortcut to share with you.   I know how badly you want to get the most from your nice guitars.   The thin pick idea, which has already been mentioned, usually helps beginning strummers hold on better. I see you've tried that.  

ST mentioned the Pik Gripz which should help out also.   I used to glue small pieces of fine-grit sandpaper to my picks in order to get a better grip.     Now and then I still let one fly across the room or drop one down the soundhole but not very often.   Try holding the pick between the thumb and the index finger where it is closer to the knuckle than the fingertip;  you should be able to squeeze a little tighter where there is less flesh (on the side of the knuckle).  

And just practice, practice, practice until you've conquered it.   You can do this.    

Tuffythepug

Quote from: tuffythepug on September 02, 2009, 06:41:11 PM
And just practice, practice, practice until you've conquered it.   You can do this.    
THAT IS THE KEY! Amen Tuffy! Focused effort and determination can overcome many natural limitations.