Heavier gauge strings for DADGAD / open tunings?

Started by VerySlowHand, June 27, 2009, 01:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New to the forum... so a BIG HELLO!!!  :wave

Having 'seen the light' I have sold ALL my electric gear and bought an OM-03R and P-09 with the proceeds. Going to focus exclusively on finger-style (English folk and 'pseudo classical' – not sure of my terminology yet).

Since I didn't want to muck about with the set-up on the Larrivees just yet, I also bought a cheaper Stanford that I thought I'd use to experiment with open tunings.

My question: starting with DADGAD and (Martin Carthy's) CGCDGA tunings and the strings on the Stanford currently being 12's – should I step up to medium gauge? I'll be getting some spare strings, so now's the time to ask if it's either an essential or a desirable thing to do.

I won't be using an amp, or performing, if that's of any relevance.

Thank you.

I just learned a song in BEBEBE on my OM-03 with 12-54 guage strings, and it worked OK, which surprised me.  I play in heaps of different tunings though, so I like flexibility.  I can't help but feel it would be better using 13s if I were in low tunings all the time.  What we really need is a different guitar for each tuning, and strings to match,  :whistling:
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

John Pearse maks a gauge called 'New Medium' where just the 1st,2nd and 6th strings (the ones you tune down in DADGAD) are heavier.

http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm

Heavier strings do help in down tunings.They also work in standard tuning.I use 14-58,basically a set of 13 Dean Markley Vintage Bronze and I change the high E to a 14 and ab18 for the B.Just so you know I set up my guitars with very low action and minimal relief on the neck.I also don't use a compansated saddle but my saddle ramp allows me to rest more string making contact with it.I end up with much more tone and I have never had an intonation problem.

I realize this might not make any sence to some and that I will be stoned for it so as they say......

Give me 3 steps to the cave before hurling stone's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Rather than just buying sets, you can also get individual strings and change the guages on individuals to get the tone and feel you want in a specific tuning. The heavier strings are great for a strong bass, but they are a real challenge to play. I'm experimenting with a set of John Pearse that are designed for open E tuning on a baritone, and the low B string is a .076, and the G# is a .060. Great sound, but its like fretting suspension cables.

I know a couple local shops that carry D'Addarios as individuals, and it doesn't seem too bad to assemble a set to your liking, or to buy a standard set and add one or two different guages to try out. I'm going to be giving it a try once I feel I've gotten fair use out of these Pearses and I can find a rigging company to take them off my hands -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: tadol on June 28, 2009, 12:26:10 AM
Rather than just buying sets, you can also get individual strings and change the guages on individuals to get the tone and feel you want in a specific tuning. The heavier strings are great for a strong bass, but they are a real challenge to play. I'm experimenting with a set of John Pearse that are designed for open E tuning on a baritone, and the low B string is a .076, and the G# is a .060. Great sound, but its like fretting suspension cables.

I know a couple local shops that carry D'Addarios as individuals, and it doesn't seem too bad to assemble a set to your liking, or to buy a standard set and add one or two different guages to try out. I'm going to be giving it a try once I feel I've gotten fair use out of these Pearses and I can find a rigging company to take them off my hands -

Tad

Thanks everyone. I like 'mix and match', not least because I can use phosphor bronze D'Addario EJ's, which a lot of people swear by. Having said that, another OM-03R player recommended I try Elixir Nanowebs. I'll probably give both a go, so I can see which side of the coated / uncoated fence to sit on.

I tried dropping the existing strings on the P-09 yesterday to DADGAD and the thing came alive... not that it was bad as it was, to my ears anyway, but it was quite a revelation.

While I don't play a ton of open tunings...I do keep a guitar in Open G and and one in Open D and both are set up 13-56s and I think they have WONDERFUL tone...and still feel nice on the fingers.

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: jeremy3220 on June 27, 2009, 02:26:23 PM
John Pearse maks a gauge called 'New Medium' where just the 1st,2nd and 6th strings (the ones you tune down in DADGAD) are heavier.

http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm

:+1:

GHS also make sets known as "True Mediums".

GHS TM335 PHOSPHOR BRONZE ACOUSTIC GUITAR SET
    Roundwound copper / tin /phosphor alloy bronze, rich bright sound without harsh overtones, long lasting, true medium gauge, 013 017 024W 032W 042W 056W
Ron