Who doesn't like Taylor??

Started by mrkpower, May 15, 2009, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've owned a Yamaha 12 string, a Larrivee 12 (L03-12), another Yamaha 12 (FG720S-12) and now own a Taylor GA3-12. The Taylor is the finest sounding 12 string acoustic I've ever heard or played. And that includes Martin and Guild 12's.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

QuoteTaylor is the finest sounding 12 string acoustic I've ever heard or played

:+1:

I also own the GA3-12 and I chose it over the Guild.

I must also add that Lord willing down the road, I'm looking to get the 12 string version of the Taylor 814...that jewel is just plain lush!
Ruben

Can't say i like them ,can't say i dont -their OK , but I like about everything else better

Attended a Taylor Road Show last week and I told the fine folks from Taylor that I know lots of folks who find them too bright. His suggestion was to install a bone saddle. :?
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I used to enjoy playing a lefty Taylor 310 in a store in Raleigh, but it sounded no better than my Seagull M6, which was half the price. I've played a few Taylor 2 series, which I thought sounded geat, but were overpriced for their materials. I really like the Taylor GS in rosewood and maple (spruce tops), maybe even more than the the L-03RE I owned, but it cost about twice as much. I like Larrivee's dreads much more for sound, but Taylor does have the option of a short scale and a 1 3/4" neck. Taylor has its strong points, good quality control and consistency, some fine-sounding guitars, and a big selection. I always thought Taylor's brightness had to do with its extremely low action, as opposed to Martin's high action and deeper sound (I'm sure there are other factors). Obviously I prefer Larrivee overall, but I don't understand the Taylor fanaticism or the Taylor hatred.

:rolleye:   but I like about everything else better   . . . Right . . .  :rolleye:
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Quote from: lyric_girl on June 15, 2009, 09:51:17 AM
Attended a Taylor Road Show last week and I told the fine folks from Taylor that I know lots of folks who find them too bright. His suggestion was to install a bone saddle. :?

That's not a crazy suggestion when we consider bone vs tusq. Saddles and strings are one place where terms like 'bright' and 'warm' are especially ineffective. I think bone saddles sound thicker than Tusq while also giving a harder quicker attack and maybe an extended frequency range, while the Tusq can sound thin- most notably on the treble strings. Which one is 'brighter'?... heck if I know.

QuoteWhich one is 'brighter'?... heck if I know.

I know. I purchased a bone saddle for my GA3-12 and my GS4e-LTD and ended up putting the Tusq back on...it is BRIGHTER!
I don't know why the rep said that.

Ruben

Quote from: jeremy3220 on June 15, 2009, 01:43:01 PM
That's not a crazy suggestion when we consider bone vs tusq. Saddles and strings are one place where terms like 'bright' and 'warm' are especially ineffective. I think bone saddles sound thicker than Tusq while also giving a harder quicker attack and maybe an extended frequency range, while the Tusq can sound thin- most notably on the treble strings. Which one is 'brighter'?... heck if I know.

Thanks for the clarification Jeremy. I really wasn't sure if they were full of it or not. It was quite interesting listening to the gospel according to Taylor though.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I like the sound and looks of Taylors (have owned two in the past) but I find the E strings too close to the edge of the fretboard. For some dumb reason (likely my playing style - or lack thereof) I seem to flip the end strings off the fretboard too easily on a Taylor.  :whistling:
I do like their crisp, bright tone.

Sure I could change the nut, blah blah.. but why bother when I can own a Larrivee  :thumb
Larrivee L-04  .  Fishman Rare Earth  .  Roland AC-60  .  Tascam DP-02CF

I've always wanted a Taylor, until two years ago when I was shopping around for my 1st really nice guitar (L-05). I was acually in the market for a Taylor and I came accross larivee. But that's not the reason I didn't go with Taylor. It seemed there was something lacking to my ears, like it was missing fullness. I still like their sound though. My buddy has a 90's Taylor 810, and it sounds very nice.
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

Quote from: leftync on June 15, 2009, 10:43:33 AM
Obviously I prefer Larrivee overall, but I don't understand the Taylor fanaticism or the Taylor hatred.

I feel the same way about Larrivee. I prefer it overall, especially the 03 series and the FIII. I sure wish I could speak for the other 2 Forum gits, but I've never had the chance to hear or play either one.

As for Taylor fanaticism, I can see how that's possible. The relentless quest for excellence & quality consistency, variety of selection, the eye candy factor, the innovations in their R&D department, the proprietary ES pickup (I happen to like it a lot and wish they would share it with the rest of the guitar world - just one man's wishful thinking) and I guess, lots and lots of amateurs and pros own or use one or a few. It also helps that they have quite the marketing system and excellent customer service and support.

As for Taylor hatred... perhaps, dislike or non-preference or not-others'-choice would be the more appropriate words as "hatred" is too strong a word - I don't get the bashing (literal or figurative) of any guitars or manufacturers.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on June 19, 2009, 03:18:54 AM
I don't get the bashing (literal or figurative) of any guitars or manufacturers.

ricky
:+1: Ford fans, Chevy fans... :whistling:
Never has there been the variety, the intense focus on technology, development, testing towards better fabrication methods, tighter tolerances, finding alternative and more suitable materials than right now. This is the golden era of guitar making, and ultimately every builder of note contributes to better guitars for the masses. Thank goodness everyone doesn't love Taylors, Gibsons, Martins or Larrivees only - what a boring place this would be if we all did...
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: rpm60912 on June 19, 2009, 03:18:54 AM
I don't get the bashing (literal or figurative) of any guitars or manufacturers.

Esteban?

and I played a DeVille cutaway dread yesterday.  It astonished me how little sound you could coax out of such a huge uncomfortable box.  The thing must be 6 inches deep, weighed about 2 stone, and sounded like it was made of cardboard.  I 'hated' it with bells on.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

In addition to my previous post, I am borrowing my buddies older Taylor 514ce this weekend. I have not had a pickup installed in My Martin Dread yet so the Taylor will work for this weekend.  When I picked it up during lunch today I sat down and played a few notes and runs on it and this guitar has aged nicely.  It's not quite 10 years old yet, but it has a cedar top and hog back and sides with the fishman blender. 
I still was ringy on the top end, but had a great bass response and bass depth to it. 
I still say that I'm not a fan of the expression system, but the 310 I owed from 2001 was a work horse with a baggs undersaddle in it.
I do think the 90's model taylors sound the best and that may just be due to the age of the guitar now and also the neck design of the 90's?  In any case my final verdict is that they are well put together, yet over priced, and if you are looking for a plug and play guitar with highs to cut through then a Taylor isn't a half bad guitar!

-Mix-
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

I have nothing against Taylors but as a Canadian, I prefer everything about Larrivée guitars. What's your (plural use of word) excuse?  :laughin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 19, 2009, 12:44:12 PM
I have nothing against Taylors but as a Canadian, I prefer everything about Larrivée guitars. What's your (plural use of word) excuse?  :laughin:

Hey, my D-09 is made in the U.S.A....by a Canadian :smile:

QuoteIn any case my final verdict is that they are well put together, yet over priced

I keep reading that the Taylors are overpriced and I don't believe that to be the case.
I just purchased a Taylor GA4 and it was only $25 more than the L-03R.
I really like the sound of this GA4. It does not sound like my Larrivees nor does it sound like my Martin, which is a good thing.

Ruben

I do not like Green Eggs and Ham, and I do not like Taylors that cost more than $2000 for the following reasons:
1.  Bolt-on neck.
2.  Plastic poly finish
3.  3 piece neck
With these 3 ingredients I believe that solid wood Taylors under $2000 are a reasonably good buy. 
Otherwise the build technique used do not justify paying more than $2000.   
Just my opinion.

I agree with Kazz. Plus to get Solid Rosewood on a taylor you have to get a 700 series that will cose you over $2000.00 when you can buy a Rosewood Larrivee for between $1000.00 and $1500.00 with a great quality build. I'm not saying Taylor isn't quality, and I'm not saying they don't sound nice (depending on the sound you want), but I just don't feel you should have to pay that much for Rosewood,Koa,Mahogany. 

Yes I know they come out with limity 300-400 series rosewood every now and again, but your 500-700 series to me are over priced.
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

QuoteYes I know they come out with limity 300-400 series rosewood every now and again

Don't forget the Special run of Tasmanian Blackwood like my GS4 has.

Ruben