Tommy Emmanuel Stockholm 4/7/2009

Started by TrueNorth, April 08, 2009, 02:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This is the first time I've seen Tommy perform. I knew I'd be awed by his ability and the breadth and depth of his technique and style. What I wasn't prepared for is how warm, humble, personable, and enthusiastic the man is. He came out right on time, thanked everyone for coming and for helping him realize his childhood dream of playing guitar in a beautiful concert hall full of people. As he played one great song after the  other it's very obvious the man loves what he does and radiates passion for music, and the guitar. He has a very easy rapore with the audience, sometimes very funny and entertaining, other times quite philosophical. At one point he said that "we all should be in the pursuit of happiness, and also the pursuit of excellence." He played for about 2 hours 25 mins. without a break. At times that whole concert hall was rocking, and howling with laughter,  and other times, (Angelina, Since We Met), you could have literally heard a pin drop.  I was so happy to learn that the man I  respect  so much as a musician, seems also to be a very warm, sincere human being as well. If you ever have the chance, treat yourself & a loved one, and go see him.  TrueNorth

yup; sounds like a Tommy concert, alright.  :thumb
glad you got to see him.

:+1: Yeah, and to this day I would love to see old Tom. One of the best finger stylists I've ever seen (on the tube), and heard, period.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

If you enjoy great guitar playing, he is one player you should be willing to go way out of your way to experience in person. He's the kind of person you just want to invite over to the house for a barbecue and a little guitar playing - and that comes across on stage. My dream would be to hear him in a really small venue, unamplified -

Good review! Thanks!

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -