Don't Let the Screen Door Hit You.
4 (40%)
**** *** Duck!
3 (30%)
Take a Hike, Larrivée Lover!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 22, 2009, 07:11:43 AM

It seems to me that the handful of people who are complaining that the forum is such a bad place lately are the same ones who want to turn this place into Facebook. Share their every thought but don't be so rude as to question one of these thoughts.
The trolls who I call out can carry on as usual but they are known.
The fact that the political threads get flamey is totally a different matter and would happen anywhere these subjects are brought up. 
Maybe I should join Dan and then he can come back.
Maybe the person who almost singlehandedly started the "Larrivée fire" on the internet but alas is flamed for loving Larrivées too much on the Larrivée (Facebook) Forum should be the one to leave.
And last and not least, for not thinking Bush was the world's most evil man and for daring to do what no late night "comedian" will do and make a joke about "the one" let's get 'er done. 

Hey duck,

I have a lot of respect for what you're saying here.  I haven't posted here for quite some time, given that this forum has in deed taken a turn to becoming "Facebook- the Larrivee Edition". 

When I first joined this wonderful group, I found that my knowledge of all things guitar was growing exponentially.  When I wasn't learning about guitar maintenance, care, technique and many other areas of interest, I was contributing from my own skill set, helping others with information on set ups, humidification, and such.  I should also point out that I have learned a great deal from members like Jim Holler and unclrob, who have always been generous with their time.

These days the forum seems to be taking a turn to something more cult-like, with people raving about some insignificant feature of their new prize guitar, or posting about obscure matters that have nothing to do with growing their guitar skills.  Don't get me wrong.  I have always enjoyed the non guitar discussions about the most recent book read, or a significant event in the life of a member, and have appreciated clips of somebody's latest musical contribution, but please people, I don't want to see pictures of your cat!

This is not to flame anyone, or to suggest that we are not free to post about whatever issue is dominating your life, and yes, I know that if I don't want to read somebody's post then I can just skip it.  It's just that I can't remember reading much in the last few months about anything meaningful relating to Larrivee guitars, other than another endless sets of images of an F III.  Aren't they all pretty similar???

Anyway, I guess that's been percolating below the surface for a while, and duck's post makes me think I'm not the only one.

All the best - jimmy

As one of our great politicians once said "Vote early, vote often!"   :humour:

This could get very interesting. If everyone leaves I will finally have a place where I can feel at home, and possibly be welcomed.

Who's next?
Ron

Wow, i am so niaive.  I had no idea that discussions that didn't have Larrivee in the title were causing so much upset. 

Duck, there is no need for anyone to leave.  You're poll carries you usual sense of humour, with 5 levels of insult rather than a choice.  However, I note that it is clearly a poll related to your personality, and nothing to do with Larrivee guitars.  I am sure I have seen similar things of Facebook to be honest.  Sometimes you humour offends, I chose not to post in your threads that are clearly there to wind people up.  Doesn't mean you don't have as much right to be here as anyone else.

I see this thread as another attempt to alienate people, and cause more negativity.  Why?  Why can't people just post what they want, read what they want, take pictures of what they want.  As far as I am aware, nobody here is a member for any reason other than their love of Larrivee guitars - hence why they found the place and why they joined.  Does that meant they are not allowed to discuss anything else.  I have made many friends here, and speak to a number of them outwith the forum too.  I wouldn't have met these people without this forum, and for that I am grateful.  So what if there is a thread about peoples dogs/cats.  Did it hurt you?

We have lost one member this week, lets not ruin the forum altogether.  If you have a problem with someone, raise it with them, please don't fish for insults.

Now I wait for you all to attack me for speaking my mind.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

No good choices. I can take you in doses! 1/2 :humour:
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Wow, the pendulum do swing don't it. This forum is a great place, good folks, abiet a little contentiuos at times. Still, it is a good forum, and way more polite and enjoyable than many. I sure dislike seeing fine people and frequent contributors leaving, such a loss, but life goes on.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Oh Duck maybe I missed a choice. Choice 4 is  "love you duck" right?
I see you're coming around to modern thinking. It's so special that you can think in terms of love with all humanity.

See I can get on your nerves too!

Quote from: BenF on April 17, 2009, 08:09:20 AM
Wow, i am so niaive.  I had no idea that discussions that didn't have Larrivee in the title were causing so much upset. 

Duck, there is no need for anyone to leave.  You're poll carries you usual sense of humour, with 5 levels of insult rather than a choice.  However, I note that it is clearly a poll related to your personality, and nothing to do with Larrivee guitars.  I am sure I have seen similar things of Facebook to be honest.  Sometimes you humour offends, I chose not to post in your threads that are clearly there to wind people up.  Doesn't mean you don't have as much right to be here as anyone else.

I see this thread as another attempt to alienate people, and cause more negativity.  Why?  Why can't people just post what they want, read what they want, take pictures of what they want.  As far as I am aware, nobody here is a member for any reason other than their love of Larrivee guitars - hence why they found the place and why they joined.  Does that meant they are not allowed to discuss anything else.  I have made many friends here, and speak to a number of them outwith the forum too.  I wouldn't have met these people without this forum, and for that I am grateful.  So what if there is a thread about peoples dogs/cats.  Did it hurt you?

We have lost one member this week, lets not ruin the forum altogether.  If you have a problem with someone, raise it with them, please don't fish for insults.

Now I wait for you all to attack me for speaking my mind.

Ben, well said!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Don't worry, Ben, this is just another 'Taking my ball and going home.' post. It's been done at least once since I've been here. Nothing to fret over as it's pretty much a constant. (Virtual pat on the shoulder, k?)

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

I've been spending less and less time here as it isn't as fun as it used to be.  I had it as my opening page on my browser for 4 years and that has recently changed.  It seems the politically correct police have been coming down heavy on what we should and shouldn't post.  What ever happened to opinions rather than just blending in and spewing rhetoric?

Don't leave Duck ~ you're the one person we do need here to keep things balanced.

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

This was once an amazing forum.  It all started downhill, in my opinion, when Steve took over. He ran off many folks that refused to play by his rules. Some people were simply shut down without much of an explanation. Honestly, I'm surprised I wasn't banned by him. He was heavy-handed and seemed to love the authority that came with the job.  I was glad to see him go, and my hope was that this forum would go back to the lively place it once was. 

We used to have some excellent, non-emotional discussions on many topics. I just don't get why people get so worked up over a discussion with someone on a computer screen.  And I don't even mind a large populace disagreeing with me. I actually welcome that, but people here now seem to go off half-cocked with uninformed and highly irrational and emotional posts when anything of value is even close to being discussed. It's more like watching some babbling member of Oprah's audience spouting their feelings rather than an adult discussion anymore.

But I still remain hopeful.  This too shall pass and I hope duck is still here when the kleenex crew move over to the HGTV boards and the real discussions can begin again. 

Quote from: strawintogold on April 17, 2009, 10:45:13 AM
Don't worry, Ben, this is just another 'Taking my ball and going home.' post. It's been done at least once since I've been here. Nothing to fret over as it's pretty much a constant. (Virtual pat on the shoulder, k?)

I'm with Johnny. I've always thought it was crazy that nothing negitive about Larrivee ever be spoken.
GA-ME got absolutely slammed about about his neck issue on new 000-60. Mayby I would have approached things differently but his point seemed dang valid to me. I've made my point about that before and it seems to have improved some now. But there's certain people that have to make a judgement call on every post made instead of just letting it lay. That just draws another response from original poster and gets battle started that no one will win.

DUCK STAY. Yes you can get on my nerves and I'm sure I can get on yours. Lets see if the people, a lot of whom are relitively recent members, can learn not to fuel bad vibes by passing thier judgements on every post and on every member. I've done it some myself but I'm trying to grow up instead of taking every thing that rubs me wrong personally and go on a counter attack and on and on and on.
If you catch a post that's pissin you off, step back, make a joke about it, whatever you do, try not to make a personal attack. Have enough confidence in your self to not be knocked down to some low level by an annoying little insect that stung your toe.
  To those bitchin about how this place is sometimes, I challange you (and myself) to not start battles over everything you don't agree with, or, take it further and put your brain to work figuring out how to discuss actual
issues you don't agree with while keeping atmoshere good. Warning, this may include laying your ego down
or even putting your self down for the greater good. :ohmy:

Matt, I hear what you say.  FWIW, i think there is a major difference between GA-ME's posts (at least all the onew I have read) and the ones by some which are intended to upset and cause offence.  I agree that GA-ME got unecessarily slammed, and the way he  posted it might not have helped, but that isn't the point.  GA-ME has criticised me indirectly before, but not in a nasty or vindictive manner.  His posts have made me think, surely that is the point!!  Most of us can take criticism.  Insults are different.

I have said before that if we all agreed, there would be no point in a forum.  What bugs me is that there is a significant divide on the go here.  Many poeple seem to think that the forum should be restricted to members who joined before 2005 or 2006.  If that is the case, the forum should not invite new members!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

No, it's not a a jab. I just didn't want Ben to feel bad. This happens all the time on Forums, (which honestly I don't get, I mean why not just take a leave and do away with the swan song) that was my point. We all need a break. I took one. Several others have. It's what happens when there's a virtual room full of people that don't share core ideals.

in regard to the the rest of your post. I'm pretty sure that is what Lynda's post was about. It's one thing to ignore a couple things, fine, that's real life. But when it follows you everywhere you virtually go or is slammed in the middle of a thread, then it needs to be addressed. So it got addressed. What people want to do with that is fine but if someone is constantly being snide or mean, I'm going to speak up. I mean, it got really stupid with the whole "10,000 guitar, nyah, nyah nyah," everywhere.

No one is saying we all have to hold hands.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Duck can be a trivial,  nasty, rabblerouser, and if you haven't learned to ignore it or enjoy it, tough. The rest is entertainment and good guitar advice. It's a great forum, quit complaining .
If it sounds good, it is good.

Duck, I've always like you!  Maybe you've just outgrown this forum thing?  I wish you the best.  I really don't mind that this has become a facebook kind of thing.  IMO, facebook has a lot of positive things going on.  I think that the forum has galvanized a closeness through this Forum III endeavor.  Some folks were turned off by it but for most of us, I think, it's fostered some new friendships.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

(generally attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt)

That's a nice principle to help guide one's life, and it would greatly aid this forum as well.

2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Quote from: bluesman67 on April 17, 2009, 12:57:50 PM
I really don't mind that this has become a facebook kind of thing.  IMO, facebook has a lot of positive things going on.  I think that the forum has galvanized a closeness through this Forum III endeavor.  Some folks were turned off by it but for most of us, I think, it's fostered some new friendships.

:+1:, except it isn't full of stalkers and weirdos trying to befriend you like facebook.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: BenF on April 17, 2009, 01:00:48 PM
:+1:, except it isn't full of stalkers and weirdos trying to befriend you like facebook.

Oh, you think not, eh?

BWahahahahaaaaa....

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.