Supergroups

Started by Walkerman, May 05, 2009, 01:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Walkerman on May 12, 2009, 08:18:43 AM
Tie me kangaroo down sport
tie me kangaroo down

That reminds me of another great, and possibly the most successful Aussie band: THE WIGGLES

I saw Rolf Harris do that kangeroo song on one of their shows.

Quote from: Zohn on May 12, 2009, 07:30:22 AM
Roger Daltrey wasn't that bad was he?

Not bad, but as time goes by I appreciate him less as I appreciate the rest of The Who more. I just got a copy of the Live at Leeds CD with the whole concert, and the band is just amazing together, but Roger less so. Besides Janis Joplin, any other contenders for the part?
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on May 12, 2009, 11:19:05 AM
That reminds me of another great, and possibly the most successful Aussie band: THE WIGGLES

I saw Rolf Harris do that kangeroo song on one of their shows.

Not bad, but as time goes by I appreciate him less as I appreciate the rest of The Who more. I just got a copy of the Live at Leeds CD with the whole concert, and the band is just amazing together, but Roger less so. Besides Janis Joplin, any other contenders for the part?

Oh yeah, I've forgotten the wiggles, the best of the best, now thats a supergroup on their own, LOL. Hey, how about a super group from the forum? "The Forumites".....Ducktrapper - vocalist, etc etc  :humour: (I think I'm in trouble)
As for the 'Little River Band", sadly they busted along time ago, tried to make a come back recently, but no good.
cheers
fongie

Just wiping my eyes, but did I see the Bee Gees? Come on guys, good vocals, for disco, but not in the same class as other listed. Thought i was seeing things. Guess not. I'm just living "Day by Day" & "Stayin' Alive"! I know Badfinger for the other!
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Here's mine:   Guitars:Jeff Beck
                                  Jimi Hendrix
                       Bass: Jaco or John Pattatucci
                       Drums: Stewart Copeland or Vinnie Colaiuta
                       Keyboards: Chick Corea
                       Vocals: Lenny Kravitz (and rhythm guitar)
                       And a little "sax" from Branford Marsalis
   Now, I'm just trying to imagine a song in my head & how it would sound...if they could all agree on it! But being professionals, they would make "angelic" music!
   Tear me apart, but slowly please. I'm into pain!

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 26, 2009, 06:19:39 PM
   Just wiping my eyes, but did I see the Bee Gees? Come on guys, good vocals, for disco, but not in the same class as other listed. Thought i was seeing things. Guess not. I'm just living "Day by Day" & "Stayin' Alive"! I know Badfinger for the other!

Hmmmmm...maybe you aren't old enough to remember their pre-disco stuff.....

1. New York Mining Disaster 1941 
2. To Love Somebody
3. Holiday
4. Massachusetts 
5. World 
6. Words
7. I've Gotta Get A Message To You   
8. I Started A Joke 

And, they wrote all of their stuff too.  A really great band.

...and what's so wrong with disco?

I propose that every musical genre, including rap,  has representative performers that even the most ardent dissident can still appreciate.
If it sounds good, it is good.

WM, I remember the 60's well, it's the late '60's until the mid '80's that I have problems with! Loved some of those, some I didn't. Persomal preference. Loved the disco days, goiing to Studio 54, staying untill 4-5 in the morning, catching the train back to CT. And boy, could I dance. I was a "Dancin Fool"! Nice way to meet girls that your Mom would love to meet! :humour:  Those were the days, I thought they'd never end, we'd... that's another song. Sorry.

I too loved the Gibb boys before their disco flash of fame. Much as I hated the droning disco beat, it was the awful chipmunk vocals rut they fell into that killed the BGs for me. The best of the disco era came from the Phlly sound, but it was always a hotbed of great dance music, long before and after disco.

Hey, these Gibb boys use to live 8 mins south of me in Redcliffe Qld and Keith Urban lived 10 mins north of me in Caboolture Qld. These guys chose music and became millionaires, I chose fishin' and ended up with a kayak  :crying:
cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on July 23, 2009, 03:01:20 AM
Hey, these Gibb boys use to live 8 mins south of me in Redcliffe Qld and Keith Urban lived 10 mins north of me in Caboolture Qld. These guys chose music and became millionaires, I chose fishin' and ended up with a kayak  :crying:
cheers
fongie
Your still "stayin alive" though. Happiness is probably better defined money wise as having enough to buy a kayak than it is millions to spend on anything, including poison.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 26, 2009, 06:19:39 PM

In the late '60s, the early, pre-Saturday Night Fever  Bee Gees actually used to get compared to the Beatles, with songs like "Holiday," "Massachusetts" an "To Love Somebody".  The Gibb brothers are very good songwriters.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: bearsville0 on May 12, 2009, 06:03:38 AM
And Split Endz (I guess an earlier version of Crowded House)

Split Enz were actually all from New Zealand. 

However, Crowded House are regarded as Australian because although Neil Finn is a New Zealander, the other two (Paul Hester and Nick Seymour) were from Australia (I think).

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Drums, mandolin and vocals - Levon Helm
Bass, guitar and harmony vocals - Paul McCartney
Keyboards, vocals and guitar - Steve Winwood
Guitar and vocals - Eric Clapton
Guitar - Robbie Robertson

Hmmmm, what's the point of a dream band that doesn't include myself?

Guitar, vocals and harmonica - moi-même.

This'd be fun if'n we could keep Levon and Robbie from each other's throats.  :nana_guitar

Second Act.

Drums - Ritchie Haywood
Bass - James Jamerson
Guitar - Steve Cropper
Guitar - George Harrrison
Guitar, harmonica and vocals - Bob Dylan       

Quote from: Tycho on July 23, 2009, 08:08:42 AM
In the late '60s, the early, pre-Saturday Night Fever  Bee Gees actually used to get compared to the Beatles, with songs like "Holiday," "Massachusetts" an "To Love Somebody".  The Gibb brothers are very good songwriters.
:+1:  They went from my love list to my puke list. I'll admit I have a distinct prejudice against disco.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on July 23, 2009, 07:16:14 AM
Your still "stayin alive" though. Happiness is probably better defined money wise as having enough to buy a kayak than it is millions to spend on anything, including poison.

True, true, flatlander  :+1:
cheers
fongie