The lowly 03 series

Started by BenF, February 26, 2009, 01:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Broadus on March 10, 2009, 09:23:00 AM
Don't apologize to Ricky. He is the single-handed cause of more G.A.S. than I've ever seen on any forum!  :humour:

Bill

Yeah, him and dependan!

UGH!

Seriously though...the 03 series is the best value anywhere in the guitar world.  Why spend more to get less?

That Sapele is beautiful, I'd be proud to call that my guitar.  I love the buttons too.   :nana_guitar
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Denis on March 10, 2009, 09:17:28 AM
Thanks Bill and my apologies to Ricky...

Denis, I'm sorry for the late reply. No apologies necessary, les ami (my two daughters went to French immersion school - I hope I got that right - "my friend" right?)

As for my OM-40 which is literally an 03 rosewood - just with open tuners & purfling --- I happen to like the spruce top and rosewood b&s a lot.

I agree with you about the no frills, no nonsense 03 series appointments & killer tone and sound for a really competitive unbeatable untouchable price. 

( Let me scold myself because I started the "Collings OM - Is it worth it?" thread;
what am I thinking GAS-ing for more gits at nauseating astronomical out of this world prices. )

There is a "factory second" Larrivee OM-03 (Larrivee replied to my inquiry confirming it is South American mahogany) in Vancouver that I must visit again if it has not been sold yet.  Last time I played it, that guitar was begging to go home with me.   I sure would love to a/b it with the Collings OM and OM-21.

My name is Ricky Mapa. I am an 03 series convert and a very enthusiastic fan.

Now, do you think we can come up with OO, OOO with 03 specs and appointments?    Let's see, Forum IV, Forum V maybe?

ricky

Another confession: I'm a fan of Denis, but I'm ashamed I don't have a copy of his CD yet.  I have an iPhone, but don't have a single piece of music in it. No iTunes account. Apparently, I can download Denis' CD from iTunes?

Quote from: Broadus on March 10, 2009, 09:23:00 AM
Don't apologize to Ricky. He is the single-handed cause of more G.A.S. than I've ever seen on any forum!  :humour:

Bill, don't believe the rumors!

Remember, there's a big difference between Ricky and ricky.  :roll

I am just, you know, trying to stimulate the economy.

ricky

Quote from: Denis on March 10, 2009, 09:59:29 AM
Yeah, him and dependan!

UGH!

Seriously though...the 03 series is the best value anywhere in the guitar world.  Why spend more to get less?

Let the whole world know this fact:
Larrivee 03 series guitars - best bang for the guitar buck anytime, anywhere!

Monsieur Jean Claude Larrivee, if you are reading this, may I respectfully suggest that...
I should get a complimentary 03 series guitar every time I say my own personal 03 advertisement
of your very well made guitar products, which are really wonderful fusions of genius engineering design and beautiful pieces of art, sir?

:humour:

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on March 11, 2009, 02:29:36 AM
Denis, I'm sorry for the late reply. No apologies necessary, les ami (my two daughters went to French immersion school - I hope I got that right - "my friend" right?)

As for my OM-40 which is literally an 03 rosewood - just with open tuners & purfling --- I happen to like the spruce top and rosewood b&s a lot.

I agree with you about the no frills, no nonsense 03 series appointments & killer tone and sound for a really competitive unbeatable untouchable price. 

( Let me scold myself because I started the "Collings OM - Is it worth it?" thread;
what am I thinking GAS-ing for more gits at nauseating astronomical out of this world prices. )

There is a "factory second" Larrivee OM-03 (Larrivee replied to my inquiry confirming it is South American mahogany) in Vancouver that I must visit again if it has not been sold yet.  Last time I played it, that guitar was begging to go home with me.   I sure would love to a/b it with the Collings OM and OM-21.

My name is Ricky Mapa. I am an 03 series convert and a very enthusiastic fan.

Now, do you think we can come up with OO, OOO with 03 specs and appointments?    Let's see, Forum IV, Forum V maybe?

ricky

Another confession: I'm a fan of Denis, but I'm ashamed I don't have a copy of his CD yet.  I have an iPhone, but don't have a single piece of music in it. No iTunes account. Apparently, I can download Denis' CD from iTunes?

Yes Ricky, my tunes are up on iTunes...and Amazon, Rhapsody, Napster...and a few other places online.  You can also get the CD hard copy from CD Baby.  Don't feel bad about not buying it yet.  You're not alone!   :humour:

I haven't seen an OM-40 but I have tried a D-40 before.  The 40 series is really nice because it combines the Traditional and 03 series.  Superb instruments. 

I think I'll be done buying guitars for a while after the Forum III.  If the Forum IV is a OO, I won't be jumping on that bandwagon...I don't think I need two OO's...although...if it was to be an 03 series...in rosewood...UGH!  Why do those Larrivees have to make such nice guitar!

Quote from: Denis on March 11, 2009, 07:07:11 AM
Yes Ricky, my tunes are up on iTunes...and Amazon, Rhapsody, Napster...and a few other places online.  You can also get the CD hard copy from CD Baby.  Don't feel bad about not buying it yet.  You're not alone!   :humour:

I haven't seen an OM-40 but I have tried a D-40 before.  The 40 series is really nice because it combines the Traditional and 03 series.  Superb instruments. 

I think I'll be done buying guitars for a while after the Forum III.  If the Forum IV is a OO, I won't be jumping on that bandwagon...I don't think I need two OO's...although...if it was to be an 03 series...in rosewood...UGH!  Why do those Larrivees have to make such nice guitar!

Denis,

I finally set up my iTunes account tonight. The first 6 songs I downloaded from iTunes? It's your self-titled CD now playing the first cut

"A Little Bit"  ---  sweet !!!

Thanks Denis !!!

I just realized, I should have ordered a CD instead because I want an autographed copy.

Oh well, I have my very own copy of your music - to enjoy everywhere.

It will also be the first CD album in my iPhone... Now "Samuel" just started playing as I post this...

ricky

PS - Sorry Ben, I don't mean to hijack your thread.   You know I'm a big fan of the "lowly" 03 series.  Back to the 03 discussion.

I've posted these elsewhere on the forum, but in case you haven't seen them, I think it puts to rest any nonsense about 03s having inferior woods.

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/leftync_photos/

Tuffy recently said that Larrivee is the best kept secret in the guitar industry.

I wish other guitar makers would study very closely the 03 series and do the same for their guitars costing 2-3-4 times the price.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on March 28, 2009, 07:15:08 AM
Tuffy recently said that Larrivee is the best kept secret in the guitar industry.

Where else can you find a guitar that's all top quality solid woods, a one piece mahogany neck with a dovetail joint, ebony bridges and fretboards, real maple bindings...seriously?  For what it costs to buy one, you'd think you would get less but with Larrivee, you get more!

Rickey, add your name as an endorser, unpaid of course, & maybe he'll grant your wish! :+1:
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

leftync, who ever said the-03 has "inferior" woods? I, personally just said that the woods were selected more carefully back my baby was built & the wood quality went up with the series #. I've had -03 series guitars & loved them. Can't wait for my LS-03 IS/HOG HB to get to me (#47). Haven't read about inferior woods. Don't think antone been doig anything but praisng them, esp. for the$. Can't beat them. Almost every person in the Forun owns a-03 series git. Climb on board & join the fun!  :smile:I even said that with all of the new -03 series available, there's no competion @ the price of the -03's. LW, Bubinga, walnut,ovangul,SO, just to name a few: what maker can beat them? :thumb
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 19, 2009, 06:44:44 PM
   Rickey, add your name as an endorser, unpaid of course, & maybe he'll grant your wish! :+1:

Jeff, I'd gladly sign up as an unpaid endorser for Larrivee. Anything, to encourage Larrivee to keep making these "lowly 03" as our friend BenF affectionately calls them. I love it.

I was so stupid to pass up on Larrivees back in early 2007. I have repented of my ways and am the happy owner of 3 Larrivees two of which are 03 --- which keeps my OO-09 humble.

ricky

Bluesman, I've owned two 03s, and one of them, the D-03R was one of the two or three best-sounding guitars I've ever heard. Believe me, I'm on board. I traded the D-03R for an older D-50 (the bluegrass one from the 90s, with rosewood) because the neck suited me better. I've had three guitar purchases in the past two years and never seriously considered anything other than Larrivee. But having owned both high and "low" end Larrivees and, of course, looking at numerous others, I don't see that there's any real difference in the woods, just the finish. I and others here have noted before that Larrivee's dilemma, and customers' delight, is that there's little reason other than cosmetics to go above a 03 series--not just for Larrivee buyers, I mean all guitar buyers. As my dealer explained to me, there are touches in a Larrivee 03 you won't find in a Martin at less than $2500 or $3K, and never in a Taylor (like a dovetail neck). I've heard one dealer say he believed Larrivee's build quality in the 03 series matches that of Collings/ I happen to like satin finishes and find the 03's understated elegance beautiful. I'm sure margins are higher in the higher ends, like in most businesses, so I hope the company sells lots of 09s, 10s, 50s and 60s and is very prosperous in these times and in better times. For me, even though I no longer own an 03 (just sold my L-03RE), they remain the best guitar at the price, and at any price.

Today I played a nice SCGC and about 10 other top shelf gits. My LS-03 12 fret MH/IS #1 of 78 btw, was every bit as good as any of them in tone and playability. Of course those gits had finer finish and tuners. BUT, it stopped right there. They had nothing on the tone or the feel of a truly unique guitar.
               Call it hype if you like, I call it my git.

Quote from: dependan on May 13, 2009, 07:20:34 PM
    Today I played a nice SCGC and about 10 other top shelf gits. My LS-03 12 fret MH/IS #1 of 78 btw, was every bit as good as any of them in tone and playability. Of course those gits had finer finish and tuners. BUT, it stopped right there. They had nothing on the tone or the feel of a truly unique guitar.
               Call it hype if you like, I call it my git.                               

Uh-huh  :+1:

ricky

I love the 03's.  Have 2 of them now and have owned 4 others.  They were all excellent guitars.  For anyone looking at a hogtop, the Martin 15 series is a wonderful guitar, especially the 12-fret slotheads (under a grand new), all solid woods.  They are very basic, they don't have any kind of binding at all, which looks really cool and the herringbone soundhole is a decal, but none of that affects the awesome tone and feel.  I must admit sometimes I think my 000-15s is my best sounding guitar.  And I had a D-15s which was also a fine guitar. Of course if a hogtop isn't your thing, the 15 series has no other options unlike the several wood options on 03's.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on May 13, 2009, 07:33:27 PM
I love the 03's.  Have 2 of them now and have owned 4 others.  They were all excellent guitars.  For anyone looking at a hogtop, the Martin 15 series is a wonderful guitar, especially the 12-fret slotheads (under a grand new), all solid woods.  They are very basic, they don't have any kind of binding at all, which looks really cool and the herringbone soundhole is a decal, but none of that affects the awesome tone and feel.  I must admit sometimes I think my 000-15s is my best sounding guitar.  And I had a D-15s which was also a fine guitar. Of course if a hogtop isn't your thing, the 15 series has no other options unlike the several wood options on 03's.
One of the gits I played today was a 1953  000-17 Martin....sweeeeeeet

Quote from: bluesman67 on May 13, 2009, 07:33:27 PM

I thought I held a Martin OO-15 and played it some while in Calgary the other day.  The strings were old and sounded stale.

I'd be curious to try it again if store installs fresh strings --- it looks like a no-nonsense guitar.
Made in Nazareth, Pennsylvania (which is important to me) --- I've never owned a Martin. I believe this one is all sapele
but the salesperson insists its all-hog... whatever the wood... it has a darker hue (I guess they used dark stain?)  Reasonably priced too... in my opinion.

Would you educate me further on this git, please?

ricky

Mine is all sapele and frankly, I'm thrilled that it is because the tone is terrific and I believe for the guitar size, sapele may actually have advantages over mahogany.  Mine is the 000 size, not 00.  Also, if there's an 's', that signifies a 12-fret slot head design...as in 000-15s like mine. I did get to play a 000-15 and it sounded okay, but the 12-fret really shines.  It's a great all around guitar and excels with the blues.   I find that I love finger picking and strumming of any kind with EJ-16 strings.  The bracing is a modified A-frame X or something like that, you can check the website...I think that's why sapele sounds so good.  For a Martin, it's quite balanced...Larrivee-like in that regard.  Martin also made a couple hundred 000-17s that are the same guitar with 2 significant differences.  First, the 17 has scalloped bracing, giving it more bass but less clarity.  Second, they were all hogs with a high gloss finish.  These are highly sought after and used ones go for about 50% higher than a new 15.

If you're in the market for a 12-fret slot head hogtop, nothing will come close to the Martin 15 series in price and quality.  You can google them for eharmony reviews.  There are about 50 review available for the 000-15s, including mine!  I warn you though, you're not going to find much negative, owners rave about them.  My only gripe was that the closed back tuners look rediculous on a slot head.  I put a set of 3on1 Waverly's on mine and that fit's the guitar's vibe perfectly.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte