Bringing out the bass in my OM-03R

Started by Broadus, February 25, 2009, 10:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When I traded my L-03R for the OM-03R that I now have, I knew I was going to give up some bass but I just thought that's the way things were with OM's. When I got my Eastman OM, however, I felt like I regained the bass of my departed-L though the size is an OM.

Is there any way I can get more bass out of my OM-03R? I am wondering particularly about different strings. I put D'Addario EXP16's on it, but they sound kind of dull on the Larrivee. What might Elixir Nano's sound like? PB or 80/20? Any other strings, especially coated?

Anything else? All insight is appreciated. I'm trying to stay contented with my Larrivee!

Thanks,
Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Try the EJ-17's and I think you will find the bass you're looking for.  worked for me.

Tuffy, thanks. They will be on my "try this" list.

Bill

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Try some of the various split sets, often called bluegrass sets. They have medium bass strings and lighter treble strings. The other option, if you are adventurous, is to get inside the sound hole and releave some of that thick symmetrical brace that runs right behind the bridge plate on Larrivee's. You could remove some of that on the bass side and thin the transverse and X brace a bit. If its a used guitar, you don't have to worry about warrenty issues. If its new, well then its up to you. Larrivee guitars have WAY more bracing than is necessary for stability.

I had thought about the bracing. It's used, so there's not warranty concern. I'd want someone who knows what he's doing though. I don't think I've got the courage to do that sort of thing.

Bill

Bill, I'm not talking about getting in there and going hog wild, just take some 100 grit sandpaper and round some of the sharp endges off and thin it up a bit on the bass side. If I was doing it, I'd do a little bit the next time I changed the strings and then I'd string her up play her a while and repeat untill I got where I wanted to be. One thing I'd say though is if you decide to do this change only one variable at a time Ie same brand strings, same gauge etc untill you stop sanding braces.

There is a company called Parabolic Brace Works that apparently loves to revoice 03 series Larrivees but I think he charges as much for the work as a brand new 03 costs. I have never seen or played a guitar he has revoiced, so I don't know if he if for real or not, but he does have a lot of knowledge.

I had visions of wood shavings on the floor! :) Parabolic Brace Works is pretty serious stuff, much too serious for me.

I had heard of a luthier in Savannah, GA, who is pretty good about this kind of thing. I had considered seeing him the next time I was south Georgia visiting family.

Bill

I would make sure it has a bone saddle and ebony pins in it. As for strings, it seems to me that 80/20's have more bass. I've always thought elixers were kind of weak sounding.

Thanks, Jeremy. It does have a bone saddle, but I'm not sure about the pins. The D'Addarios are PB's, though, not 80/20's.

Bill

What I like about my OM is the balance between the bass/trebles.
The bigger dreads give me that bass thump when I want it.
I am using mediums on my OM, you might try medium bass and light trebles (bluegrass set)
If you are still looking for more bass try ex lights on the trebles.
I would look for a string solution before messing with the braces.
If you are playing plugged in try setting the eq to more bass.

Good Luck
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Quote from: Broadus on February 25, 2009, 04:21:07 PM
The D'Addarios are PB's, though, not 80/20's.

They also make 80/20's though.

I'm a D'Addario fan but I just tried some Curt Mangon medium pb'S and I really like them. I bought the 80/20's also for my parlor but haven't tried them yet.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: jeremy3220 on February 25, 2009, 04:30:54 PM
They also make 80/20's though.

Yes, I understand. I think we were responding to different parts of our statements. Looking back over the threads, I take it (now :)) that you were suggesting trying D'Addario 80/20's but that Elixirs, which I had asked about trying, are weak.

Bill

Yeh, or another brand of 80/20's. I think Elixers are weak in both 80/20 and PB.

Has anyone around here done mods to larrivee bracing I wonder? A used 03 is cheap enough to try it. The main cross brace certainly is massive in it's massiveness. When I look at pics of Larrivee bracing compared to some small shop companies I wonder how the Larrys manage to make a peep with all that wood. They sound to me a lot better than the picture would have you think.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: Broadus on February 25, 2009, 10:00:24 AM
When I traded my L-03R for the OM-03R that I now have, I knew I was going to give up some bass but I just thought that's the way things were with OM's. When I got my Eastman OM, however, I felt like I regained the bass of my departed-L though the size is an OM.

Is there any way I can get more bass out of my OM-03R? I am wondering particularly about different strings. I put D'Addario EXP16's on it, but they sound kind of dull on the Larrivee. What might Elixir Nano's sound like? PB or 80/20? Any other strings, especially coated?

Anything else? All insight is appreciated. I'm trying to stay contented with my Larrivee!

Bill, I guess each OM like each git is unique. Some will have more bass and some will have less.

My OM-40 (essentially an 03 rosewood with enlarged soundhole and open gear tuners)  sound tight at this point - it does not like my aggressive strumming

but delivers the volume. I'm hoping it will "open up" - I have yet to have my own first hand personal experience with that.

Then, there's the OM-03 I test drove in a Vancouver store. If I had my eyes closed, I'm sure I would have been fooled to thinking that it had the bass of an L.

This particular one sounded so much better than my OM-40.

So, I don't know if with "age" (as your OM-03R gets older and lots of playing time) your OM-03R will develop the L bass - but it may be a physics issue.

My opinion only, you may need to find the "right" OM - just like the one I found in Vancouver (if it's still there in mid-March, I may have another listen).

Incidentally, just changed the strings in my OM-40 from lights to Elixir 80/20 bronze mediums -

I'm satisfied with the bass, but it's no L; still sounds tight (not much sustain) with my strumming.

Hope this helps (sorry if this causes confusion - not my intention).

ricky

UPDATE:  Skimmed through other reply's and got curious about shaving the bracing to "revoice" 03, but I would try the bone saddle & ebony pins as Jeremy suggested

in my OM-40.   I may also venture into trying EJ-17s which was suggested to me locally and glad Tuffy attests to it.   

It's the nature of the beast, stiff bracing equals a stiff guitar with little bass(comparative to its body size).

QuoteSo, I don't know if with "age" (as your OM-03R gets older and lots of playing time) your OM-03R will develop the L bass

The bass should improve a little over time but it will never get that far.

Changing strings, pins, saddles, all of these things can help out but they won't change the physics involved. Think of it like this, you can punch a hole through dry wall really eazy between the studs. Your hand would be little worse for the wear. However, should you punch at the stud........................

Quote from: rpm60912 on February 26, 2009, 12:08:42 AM
Bill, I guess each OM like each git is unique. Some will have more bass and some will have less.

My opinion only, you may need to find the "right" OM - just like the one I found in Vancouver (if it's still there in mid-March, I may have another listen).

I couldn't disagree more. The OM that Larrivee builds is built to spec with size, shape and bracing in order to produce a given sound within a very narrow range. What you have is an OM that sounds like an OM with not too much bass.
Quote from: jeremy3220 on February 26, 2009, 05:47:26 AM
It's the nature of the beast, stiff bracing equals a stiff guitar with little bass(comparative to its body size).

That is correct. It is the nature of the beast. (Might be that you need your L back.)
To err is dysfunctional; to forgive co-dependent

Quote from: roguegnome on February 26, 2009, 07:50:41 AM
I couldn't disagree more. The OM that Larrivee builds is built to spec with size, shape and bracing in order to produce a given sound within a very narrow range. What you have is an OM that sounds like an OM with not too much bass. That is correct. It is the nature of the beast. (Might be that you need your L back.)

I respect your opinion and your statement.

I guess I'm simply trying to explain why my OM-40 does not sound as "open" as that OM-03 in the Vancouver store.

Then, again, it could only be because I have not played a git for 3-4 days - so perhaps anything I held that day - would sound good to my ears?

You're right, an OM may have a decent bass sound in its own respect - but an L, it may never be....

then again, I wish other long-time OM owners who also own L would chime in.

ricky