So, the "Clown" is voted AG's best Fingerstyle Guitarist 2008

Started by Zohn, February 13, 2009, 02:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Emmanuel was voted the best "Fingerstyle Guitarist" ahead of Andy McKee and Doyle Dykes sharing silver, and Trace Bundy, Peppino D'Agostino and Al Petteway sharing Bronze. The award is the Acoustic Guitar player's choice awards 2008. Go Tommy!!!  :winkin:

Another interesting winner was Keb' Mo' ahead of Eric Clapton for the "Acoustic Blues Guitarist" award.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Don't worry, TE will get over it. :humour:
If it sounds good, it is good.

wish I was good enough to be a clown.  :humour: If I ever am good enough to draw the interest of that many people, I'll be real careful not to have any showmanship. Or a lot of people hear wont like me. Maybe even criticize my character.

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2009, 08:15:00 AM
clown?
:?

Really, it's so silly on all sides it's not worth the effort to explain much take in. Think High School shop where some guy says "Cameros suck." and it's like, some other guy's dream car.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

thanks Holly. I never heard anyone refer to TE as the clown. (but I was in shop class, way back when the earth was cooling, and my shop teacher's father invented an early precursor to a primitive form of the wheel)
IMHO the contest results are spot on.

There was a thread dissing TE here a few months ago.  I can't remember if anyone actually used the word "clown", but some people suggested he was more of an entertainer than a serious musician.  Whatever.  De gustibus non disputandum est....
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I missed that thread, but I agree, he is certainly an entertainer. Non-guitar players enjoy listening to him. I had a chance to see him once and he literally exploded onto the stage and went full-tilt for 2 hours, then signed autographs for another 45 minutes.
But does anybody think he doesn't have the chops?
Listen to the cascading artificial harmonics in the intro to Over the Rainbow. I have tried this in small bites. This isn't just showmanship. And it's not a gimmick.
I play a couple of his easier arrangements such as Mona Lisa and Dixie McGuire. I find these pretty challenging and spent a long time polishing them up to the point where I could perform them in public but I don't open with them; I work up to them.
Well, once again, just my own take on stuff.
nevermind...

cascading artificial harmonics

Explain, please?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Man, you'd have to have some kind of nerve to call Tommy Emmanuel a "clown". Okay, Mr. Guy Serious, let's see your chops. Besides, he's an Aussie and although an "artist" (and like a good Canadian boy) he'd probably kick your butt just for fun.  :winkin:  

On that old thread someone did have the nerve to call him a circus clown. That's my point. If that's a clown , I want to be one. :nana_guitar I saw him in Indianapolis and I was amazed. He's going to be in Evansville In. in March I think I'll go to that. If anyone is close to there and would like to go let me know. You really have to see him live. The YouTube videos  just don't show his ability.

Wow, and they say women never forget....

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Now you sound like my wife, Holly. Whom I love dearly, so that O.K. :winkin:

Quote from: strawintogold on February 13, 2009, 11:09:43 AM
Wow, and they say women never forget....

holly
No, they say "elephants never forget". Don't you remember?

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2009, 11:33:08 AM
No, they say "elephants never forget". Don't you remember?

Most clever thing, ever. ROFL.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

My choice in that group is Andy Mckee.

But really, the idea of having a "best of" hierarchy in music is quite lame -- it tends to be a stupid guy thing like pointlessly competitively arguing over sports statistics.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on February 13, 2009, 12:05:08 PM
My choice in that group is Andy Mckee.

But really, the idea of having a "best of" hierarchy in music is quite lame -- it tends to be a stupid guy thing like pointlessly competitively arguing over sports statistics.
agreed. I just am not a big Andy Mckee fan because I tire of the tapping, always tapping. enough with the tapping, already.

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2009, 12:46:44 PM
agreed. I just am not a big Andy Mckee fan because I tire of the tapping, always tapping. enough with the tapping, already.

yes I agree somewhat. It's becoming dated, like all those guitarists who imitated Van Halen's style. On the other hand a couple of the players on the list are too far the other way in traditional style for me to get exited.

L-03 Italian Spruce

I would have to say it's down right impossible to pick the best. Personal taste and style effect opinion to much. I haven't seen the article yet but from what I've seen here there's no classical players listed and the top people in that field are amazing but generally unknown. How about Ana Vidovic. A great woman player unfortunately great women players are often overlooked. No jazz players ether. I'm not a big country or bluegrass fan but some great player there to. Dividing the vote into style would be helpful. But even then you couldn't pick the best.