Trading In My Larrivee For A...

Started by Tony Capri, November 05, 2003, 07:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

...Paragon. Yup, that's right. Don't get me wrong, there's been no falling out with my appreciation for Larrivee guitars, and as a matter of fact my favorite axe is still my OM02 (I'm a cheap date). But the L03R I got earlier this year just always felt a bit too big for comfort. I tried to exchange it straight away for an OM03R with Buffalo Bros., but they refused me. I even offered to pay the extra $100 so as to keep with their trade up policy, but to no avail.

I hate parting with this guitar because it sounds so nice, and the rosewood is just gorgeous, but it doesn't get played enough. Figured I'd branch out and dare to be different (not too different since the Paragon guys are ex-Larrivee). So, I'm gonna try my luck with a Paragon OM. Will let you know in about 4 months (when it's finished) what I think (will post in the "Other Guitars" area).

Cool!

Well, having owned 6 Larrivees and 3 Paragons, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'd go for the slightly deeper Grand OM if I were you though. I've owned one of each in the Paragon, and the Grand is sweet. Both are nice guitars though. What woods are you going with?

Tony:

I was going to bid on your L-03r, but for the 1 11/16...  Why didn't Buff Bros. honor the trade up?  I'm assuming that you bought the L-03R there.  I know that it doesn't apply to special orders.  Maybe that is it.

Bob

No, I'm sure it's because the trade-up guitar has to be at least $100 more expensive than the guitar you are trading in. I imagine they stick to the details pretty close to avoid giving 100% trade-in value if they don't have to.  I did use this policy once with no problems, but I was going for a more expensive guitar.

Hey Bob,

Jason is absolutely right. And though I don't quite understand that method of policy adherence it is nonetheless their reasoning.

I understand about the nut width, and though I am a fingerstlye player I actually will be getting a 1 & 11/16 width on my new Paragon. I just happen to be used to that size. Played some wonderful Breedloves (Focus & Cs) the other night, but the wider neck felt a bit awkward to me.

Jason, I just happen to be getting the Grand OM as you mentioned. Not sure about the top wood yet, I'm waiting to let Robert (w/ Paragon) hear a cd of my playing before deciding. Want to let him give his recommendation. But the body wood is going to be rosewood w/ koa binding. I'm very psyched!