Larrivees and Taylors

Started by HNS, January 11, 2009, 02:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: balgit on January 28, 2009, 03:46:35 PM
You left out the last line of my post

I wasn't concerned with that line or how many T's Brittttney has. I was only commenting that popularity is not evidence for quality.

my point was that its a matter of taste ...and thats what you left out ....a matter of taste is just that ...no right ..no wrong ...every body wins ..sometimes i don't articulate my opinion as well as i should ..... no harm ..no foul have 2 donuts :donut2 :donut

People- it's like I said before: it's all a matter of your taste & desire for "perfection" in sound. Every major guitar manufacture (or builders) will appeal to somebody. Does Taylor make a better souding guitar than the others ? Some will say yes, some will say no. I think Taylors popularity started small in Calif. & built to almost a frenzy with locals. As they got bigger & more well known, more people liked them. Some didn't. I've had 2 GS8's & decided that I didn't need another large bodied guitar (have an L-10), especially since my Larrivee L-10 blew them both away. Sure, it's older & bolder & has this sound you wouldn't believe. Would a Taylor 15 years old sound good too ? I'm sure, but I'm not convinced it would sound as good as mine (IMOP). You might play mine & not hear it the same way & prefer the Taylor. Bottom line : your taste & ears.
As far as Estaban guitars go, I personally think they're an embarrassment to the guitar community. You get what you pay for & think of all your getting for that price ! Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but again, your taste. Love those selling shows he has. Boy are they cool ! :wacko: Remember, just because someone studied under Segovia doesn't mean he make good guitars. I have never played a Larrivee that I didn't like something about it. Can't say the same about Taylors.
Hope I didn't sound like I was preaching; just trying to give my opinion with all I've picked up over the years ! :smile:
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

I think Taylor make very attractive and 'cool' guitars, but I haven't played one that made me want to open my wallet.  I think that they make some really nice 12 string guitars, but in my opinion Larrivee sounds and feels better to me.  Taylor is a bigger company and can/has to afford more on promotion.  They also got the 'package' together with their onboard electronics and I think this this attracts a lot of people for it's simplicity ... no need to worry about finding what pickup sounds best for that particular guitar - it's been taken care of.  No knocks on Taylor from this corner, but Larrivee just sits better with me with it's tone, playability and the fact that it started in Canada.  I also like the fact that the Larrivee family is involved and that the 2nd generation is and will be advancing the company for years to come - something I've admired with Martin. 

To each their own and play whatever makes you happy.

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

John- I agree with you totally. I haven't found a Larrivee I didn't like. Can't say the same about Taylors. They have alot of hype & publicity involved. There are great Taylors out there (higher end models in my looking), but none I would buy over a Larrivee.
Jeff :guitar

I have no idea who Esteban is but now I'm compelled to check him out almost as much as the compulsion to examine the Recital Box. Everytime I hear that name I think of 'Welcome to Faantasy Island' and yeah, I know it's not that guy. Go figure.

holly

I think we should have an essay contest on the Off Topic thread. No joke, this contest was for real.

A New Contest - "How Esteban's Music Changed My Life"
Meet Esteban and win an Esteban Guitar and a personal guitar lesson from Esteban himself! All reviews submitted and confirmed on this site will be automatically entered into the contest. The Grand Prize is a visit from Esteban, who will present the winner with a private lesson and an Esteban guitar. Don't delay! Share your story today and let the world know how the Esteban's music has changed your life. Contest ends 12/31/07. The winner will be notified by 1/31/08. All submissions are subject to verification.

Hmm, that was interesting. He used to play in during breaks at an air show and then 'mellow' guitar at the Hyatt. Sure seems ot be doing better now,lol. I don't understand what an overdirve button on a guitar is though.

Back to your program.
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

holly- he's a former student of Segovia's, around 60y/o, & a slick salesman. He's constantly on one of those shopping shows selling a package deal of: Cheap-a** guitar (also special editions!), amp, dvd's, strings, strap, & god knows what else he can throw in there. He has a backup band that plays with him. He's always dressed in black, normally with a fedora on his head, & constantly taking testimonials from callers (he probably pays them). He is hip in his talking & believe me, you don't want to touch one of his guitars. They fly out, according to the count sold shows. If you ever run into one of his selling shows, watch it. They are funny as all get-out !
And, in case it's your favorite song, he always plays "Unchained Melody" ! :humour:

How many of those black puffy shirts do you think he has? I just imagine this closet full of black puffy shirts. I was researching a bit more and was a little mortified to find that one of the complaints was the decals peel off. It's one thing to put your Strawberry Shortcake on your Hanna Montana guitar, but that's a bit much.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

holy- like I said, if you have a chance, check his shows out. You'll laugh like the penguin shots made me ! His big thing now are "GM" car guitars. The one I saw was a Corvette. Made me want to pick up the phone & order one ! If I recall, did you cancel your t.v. ? If so, have a friend check the cable guide; it will be an eye opener.
As far as those shirts, you could probably get one thrown in the package if you ask nice :humour:

holly- I've never seen an overdrive on a guitar. They are normally on the amps & also called a "gain" control. Only Esteban knows the answer to that one. It seems that most of the people that call in don't know anything about guitars, except his. Some claim that their friends play it & it has to be wrestled out of their hands. Bottom line: garbage. You get what you pay for. :wacko: