Forum III or Martin 000-15S

Started by willguitar, January 01, 2009, 10:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK, here's something to start off the new year with a bang...  :winkin:

Which would you buy if you had to choose one: Forum III or Martin 000-15S? (consider comparable price (new) and a couple hundred less for the Martin (used)).

Thank you. Taking cover now...  :smile:

Happy New Year ya'all
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

Quote from: Denis on January 01, 2009, 11:16:23 AM
Sorry willguitar, this was covered just a few days ago here:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=24749.0
Keep a good sense of humor and it's not a bad read.

Definitely the Breedlove C25/CRH...............................................................sorry couldn't resist

:donut  :donut2  :coffee
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Denis on January 01, 2009, 11:16:23 AM
Sorry willguitar, this was covered just a few days ago here:  http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=24749.0
True, but it might be good to get some fresh input for those interested in the Dark side of all-hogs.  Getting one new, I'd go with the all-hog Larrivee III.  If getting used, there are several 000-15S's out there.  If you're cool with slotheads (as I am, but don't own one now), then that's a classic plus for the 15S. 

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the frets.  The Martin has really small frets compared to the Larrivee.  That might be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint. 

The Martin is really bare-bones with no trim.  It has a paper decal rosette.  It comes with a pickguard, which to me almost seems unnecessary with the finger picking many people do with a guitar of that size and purpose.  The Forum III comes with or without the pickguard, your choice.  The Martin bridge is rosewood, not ebony, as is the fretboard.  Again, is that good or bad?  Your choice.  All standard model Martins now have strips of wood (wings) glued to the side of the headstock to help save their mahogany or cedar stocks for necks.  Look at these close up on Jim's site to see what I mean.  Doesn't affect the sound, but is aesthetically a small downer.  IMHO, I think the Larrivee just flat out looks better.

The Forum III might hold its value better than most Larrys.  The Martins consistently hold their value better than most other (mass produced) guitars.  I sold my 000-15S for $25 more than I bought it for when new, after a couple of years.  That UMGF buy/sell 000-15S is (was?) being sold for about the same price. 

But forget the looks and price.  Which guitar will sound better to your ears?  That's hard to know since the LS-03MT hasn't been built yet.  Have fun making your decision.
Play it daily for best results.

I have no doubt both the F3 and 000-15s will sound fantastic.  Good points made by profstack.  Here's my reply to the other related thread.

I'm a big fan of hogtops.  I have a hogtop Forum I OM-03MT and also I have the Martin 000-15s Sapele version.  Both are fantastic guitars, I wouldn't want to part ways with either of them.  If I was in your shoes, and could only have 1 hogtop, it would be a Forum I.  Since those are next to impossible to get, I would order an F3 not look back.  Besides the 000 will cost more.  The tuners on it look hideous and ruins the slot head look and you will spend about $250 having Waverly's put on her.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I didn't notice the other thread but thanks for pointing it out.  :blush:  :smile:

Roger, I appreciate your reply...  :winkin:

Clock is running out on the Forum III decision...  :drool:
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

That other thread kind of went off on a tangent so I will add my 2 cents here. 

I owned a 14 fret OM-03MT and still own a 000-15S.  As others have said the Larry has more bling for the buck but for me the 000-15S sounds "better".  I play bare fingers fingerstyle and for me the OM-03MT didn't have enough bass.

One important difference here is how these 2 companies go about providing a 12 fret guitar.  Larrivee moves the bridge down on the lower bout, Martin has a different body shape for 12 fretters, they elongate the upper bout.  Eric Schoenberg (a vintage OM expert) believes that the Martin 12 fret 000 body shape is one of the finest body sizes that Martin makes.

But none of that blabber answers your question because the FIII is not on OM or an 000.  Even with the new body dimensions we are still talking more waist (about 3/4") and less depth (about 1/8") than an 000-15S.  For me body shape is about the most important factor and I have stayed on the fence because I am afraid the FIII will feel too big because of the waist.  I am trying to find more info on the tone of the LS body size and may very well fall off the fence by tomorrow.  If I do I am going Italian Spruce/Hog for sure.

I'd say get the FIII.  It might be a little more of an unknown, but the one thing I can guarantee is that it will look nicer than an 000-15S.  Larrivee mahogany is gorgeous  :thumbsup

If you want an 000-15S, keep your eye out for a nice used one on UMGF.  A lot of people make these project guitars and upgrade them nicely.  I got a used one there pretty recently that is nicely buffed, all hog, has upgraded tuners, greven guard, bone nut/saddle.  All for less then a new one which most likely would be sapelle with the cheaper tuners, flimsy guard, micarta nut/saddle.  But you need to be vigilant and move quickly because they don't last long.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  Both guitars will hold their value pretty well so you can always change your mind and buy something else later on (as most of us do).

Why wait any longer for the world to begin?