Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it official that its a florantine cutaway? I was about to jump in with the news of a cutaway...but I think the florantine just destroys the visual lines of a 12 fret guitar. I hope its not really florantine on a twelve fret guitar.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Hi Everybody? I've been lurking around for a while, and I'm pretty tempted to go with the IS/RW. As far as the body style goes, the dimensions don't seem terribly different from my Taylor 314 spruce/mahogany (I got mine a couple of years before they switched woods for the back and sides). Any ideas on how the grand auditorium (x14) will compare to the LS? I've recently played a few Larrivees and have been really impressed. The parlor was a little too small, and the OM felt pretty similar to the 314 I have. Any input would be great. Thanks!

Quote from: Dotneck on December 18, 2008, 10:34:21 PM
Is it official that its a florantine cutaway? I was about to jump in with the news of a cutaway...but I think the florantine just destroys the visual lines of a 12 fret guitar. I hope its not really florantine on a twelve fret guitar.

Dotneck... I just sent an email to Jim to clarify this.  I assumed it was Venetian (soft) because the Forumites involved from the very beginning of this discussion

threw out the idea of the Florentine (pointy) cutaway.

Let's wait for Jim's official word... because in his email... he did not specify which kind of cutaway.

ricky

Quote from: dependan on December 18, 2008, 08:25:20 PM
On the spec, thread it says FLORINTINE so it would be like a CS not like an LSV-11
Got excited thinking of Venetian until I realized what CS meant.

Emailed Jim & Randy for clarification. See my Reply to Dotneck's post.

ricky

Hmmm... wonder how many Forum IIIs need to be ordered before short scale becomes a viable option........?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go back to quietly sulking now.

Al

I would like a wooden rosette  :nanadance

which model do you guys think would make the best strummer??????

peace,
david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

GREAT NEWS!  Herringbone purfling will look really good on the Italian Spruce in my opinion.  I have emailed Jim with my updated order. 

I can't believe 32 orders have gone in.  We thought we would struggle to make 10, and then 20.  I guess the broadcast message got to a few people who otherwise would not have been in the know.  At what point will JCL think he is missing a trick and start producing this body size commercialy???

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 18, 2008, 11:58:16 PM
Got excited thinking of Venetian until I realized what CS meant.

Emailed Jim & Randy for clarification. See my Reply to Dotneck's post.

ricky
Thanks Ricky, You are the right man for this deal,as well as Randy and Jim. It is coming together in a way that wasn't foreseen by even the most optimistic of us.
               What a time to join the forum, for not only you but Norman and others who just came to the forum and now are having their own "custom made" LS Larrivee. Sweet deal for us all.                                                     
            Danny

Keep me posted on the cutaway as well, please. If it's pointy that would be great as I hate the pointy and would not feel compelled to spend the $$$,lol.

I agree that a little Herring goes a long way, thanks for the pics.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

On the cuy a way. It Is the soft cut a way Venetian not the sharp Florentine.  I will make sure anyone ordering this optin is clear on this.
Thanks Jim Holler
  PS: Are we going to make 100 pages? :nice guitar:
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

The cutaway and purfling are not issues for me.  Not desire for either.  Mahoganyg and Italian spruce, that's what I'm excited about...that and a 12 fret neck.  I've had a couple of parlors, my 00-50 and a Martin 000-15S which all had 12 fret necks and that makes a huge difference in the tone IMO.  It makes for a more robust bass response and a different feel with a standard scale having the bridge shifted a little closer to the middle of the lower bout...whoa baby!  This LS will be sweet, I just know it!  :nice guitar:

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on December 19, 2008, 06:58:20 AM
  PS: Are we going to make 100 pages? :nice guitar:

I sicnerely hope not, this is a real chore to try to search through for info already.  I suspect it will die a death after 2nd January, and then some bright spark will resurrect it again in the middle of March and it'll go crazy again!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Man, this is killin' me!  :arrow

Just went for the herringbone purfling.  That will look sweet!!

Thanks for the clarification on the cutaway Jim.  I didn't think a florentine cutaway made any sense on this guitar.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

There's a beautiful picture of a 12-fret Florentine cutaway in one of the latest issues of Acoustic Guitar that made me briefly get excited about a Florentine cutaway option.  I think it's an Advert. by Santa Cruz guitar company.  It's probably good that now I know that our option is Venetian, as that saves a few $$ on my order.
Scott

RS-2

One more question: do I have to place my order in forum thread AND send an email to Jim, or will the posting here only do? Thanks!

P.S.: the mahogany-topped with herringbone looks killer. but I've got a negative experience with cheapo all-mahogany guitars: they sounded too dull and dead... :(
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

Quote from: vates on December 19, 2008, 08:28:13 AM
One more question: do I have to place my order in forum thread AND send an email to Jim, or will the posting here only do? Thanks!

P.S.: the mahogany-topped with herringbone looks killer. but I've got a negative experience with cheapo all-mahogany guitars: they sounded too dull and dead... :(

You'll need to contact Jim too, to make payment for the deposit.  The list on here will be used as a cross check before the order goes off to Larrivee, to make sure everyone has the correct specs and that nobody is missed.  Primarily, the list is a back-up, but has been useful in driving/monitorin the total numbers that have resulted in the options provided by Larrivee.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

My sincere thanks :)
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

Ok, a Parlor has a 12 fret join, right? This is bigger than a parlor but smaller than an OM with a 12 fret join, right? The reason I'm asking is to get an idea of how needed a cutaway might be. Since I've not tried the body size I'm fence sitting with the cutaway. Something I'd go for with an OM, for example. So would a cutaway on a 12 fret join give you as much free room as a cutaway on a 14 fret join?

Heeeeelp...

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 19, 2008, 08:45:49 AM
Ok, a Parlor has a 12 fret join, right? This is bigger than a parlor but smaller than an OM with a 12 fret join, right? The reason I'm asking is to get an idea of how needed a cutaway might be. Since I've not tried the body size I'm fence sitting with the cutaway. Something I'd go for with an OM, for example. So would a cutaway on a 12 fret join give you as much free room as a cutaway on a 14 fret join?

Heeeeelp...

holly
I would think it gives you that much room at a minimum, possibly a little more.  Without the cutaway, 14 to 15 frets are still playable.  I don't know if there should be a concern with a cutaway taking away some of the tone?  If I knew I wanted to play higher frets than available, my concern would be any sacrifice of tone with a guitar of this size.  Sorry, I'm probably not helping.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte