p6 REVIEW - My First Larri - OO-09

Started by rpm60912, November 14, 2008, 11:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 04, 2008, 06:28:10 PM

For those who are not familiar, Vancouver BC has got  the mildest winters in Canada - just rain and hardly snows - kinda like Seattle, only rainier.
The snow fell to stay on the day before the OO arrived. Winter is here. Even my old car refuses to start... but she goes!

I brought the git to work for pics. It occurred to me that I'm not feeling down. I've got the best & worst job in the world (but I'm not allowed to talk about that here).
I'm not feeling down because...

I rediscovered my reason to live. That's why I get up everyday and still do what I love doing.

Then, this Forum Family is a delightful community... to meet & make new friends... share ideas... rib each other... and it's safe and we're never allowed to get nasty.

I'm rambling and digressing... that's why I'm not down.    Work is fulfilling. Family is challenged but loving. Guitars are wonderful toys.

I asked myself:   
if plastic guitars for 5-25 bucks can produce the same Larrivee sound, will we still spend thousands on wood & steel? I'd say Yes, if only for the smell of it.

That's my post of the day!

ricky

Hi Ricky, you seem very spontanious, impulsive and passionate about the things that matter, and I say great for you. Thanks for sharing a little bit of your heart  :+1:. I see music as the ultimate way to worship God, and all the better with a stringed instrument, more specifically guitars. Hey, king David did it big time, and others like us still do it today.
I share the sentiment of the smell of my guitars every time I open those cases...
BTW - you can now change your signature from "2 b delivered" to you know what!!!!
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Ricky, thats one fine looking 00.  If you ever get the chance you need to visit Wildwood, there are soooo many guitars there you're bound to leave with another one.
Congratulations on the  :nice guitar:
:donut2  :donut2  :donut2  :coffee   :coffee  :coffee  :donut  :donut  :donut
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 05, 2008, 07:04:27 PM
Ricky, thats one fine looking 00.  If you ever get the chance you need to visit Wildwood, there are soooo many guitars there you're bound to leave with another one.

Besides the Forum Git... I'm already thinking of the OMV-09e & LV-05MT (even though I'm not a mahogany fan - just for the sheer comments around hog here).

BTW, all from Wildwood.    I secretly hope that someone else buys these before me... I will be temporarily sad, but it will help lessen the GAS.  :laughin:

Thanks, ricky

Ricky
congratulations on the G O T M.   Well deserved.  Now you are truly in rare company.   :tongue:

The cash award should just about cover the new forum III guitar, no ?

Lets' hear it for Ricky,  the newest G O T M recipient and a true champion among men ( and women)  :cheers

T the P

Hear Hear  :cheers
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 09, 2008, 01:20:48 PM
Ricky
congratulations on the G O T M.   Well deserved.  Now you are truly in rare company.   :tongue:

Lets' hear it for Ricky,  the newest G O T M recipient and a true champion among men ( and women)  :cheers

T the P

:ohmy: Thanks Guys... n Gals....  your kind words, enthusiasm and passionate loyalty to the brand which this Forum is named after is... CONTAGIOUS !!!

ricky  :beer OR  :donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 cheers!

BTW... thanks to the decision makers and/or voters for the GOTM honor. 
I was not expecting it to be picked as
(1) I'm not sure I met the 600pixels min req'd
(2) git had reflections
You're all so gracious !!! Thanks again

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 09, 2008, 01:20:48 PM
Ricky

T the P

Wow! Congratulations, Ricky. I'm happy for you.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Quote from: Broadus on December 09, 2008, 03:35:22 PM
Wow! Congratulations, Ricky. I'm happy for you.
Bill

Hey Bro... we still have to connect. I know I need to connect to Zohn as well.

I'm preparing Christmas messages... thinking we should start a new thread "warm sentiments about the Christmas Season"... nothing religious of course (I mean, nothing controversial... but just the good will spirit of the season).

ricky... and thanks Bill.

Time to give my review of my OO-09

Let me start with what my eyes see.

It's classic Larrivee quality - glossy, rosewood sides and back that looks like a 1-piece (Larrivee does a better job than any other makers IMO)

and oh... that delicious, yes delicious, maple binding. No other word to describe that binding.

Thank you Mr. JCL for not using cheap plastic for binding.  Abalone rosette. Pickguard. Ebony buttons. Pings.

CLOSER LOOK...

My brand new guitar arrived with a ballpoint pen sized ding on the spruce top --- bass side of the upper bout.

I immediately noticed some of the grain of the wood on the clear glossy finish especially in the back. At first, I feared this was finish checking.
But, it's not a spider web. And I waited a good 4-6 hours before opening and git felt same as room temperature. I have seen the same thing in a brand new rosewood glossy finish Simon & Patrick Professional series guitar - I take it, Larrivee only applies a very thin clear coat ?

I have not called Larrivee with my Git Serial Number to find out the Year of Manufacture --- that should tell me whether they use the nitro-cellulose stuff or the more resilient finish, right?

I am quite impressed by the snug fitting arch top royal blue lined case.

Oh yeah... at a certain angle, there's a pick shaped "white outline" on the bass side underneath the strings between soundhole and bridge === visible only when looking at a certain angle and specific lighting.   I don't know how it got there, but it's there.   I only noticed it, after almost a week of its arrival.

That's it for my eye / visual review.

Sound review next...

ricky

Sound of my OO-09...

I'm not happy with the strings the git came with.

Okay... it's almost 3am. Good night.  Good morning.

Have not changed a thing.  But she sure sounded great when she accompanied solo 20+ people singing.

ricky

Fulfills one of my major requirements quite well.

100% for comfort, portability, fits the Jetta trunk nicely with lots of room left

and people can still see me behind the guitar !!!  :+1:

as opposed to people asking: "Is that invisible man playing that big guitar?"  :humour:

ricky

Ricky, I've been following your experiences with that 00-09 with much appreciation. It occurs to me that you really ought to learn the Gordon Lightfoot song, "Alberta Bound", if you don't already know it. That song lifts my spirits and makes me feel better every time I hear it. I hope you continue to enjoy that 00-09.

Cube

Quote from: Cube on January 17, 2009, 07:17:41 AM
Ricky, I've been following your experiences with that 00-09 with much appreciation. It occurs to me that you really ought to learn the Gordon Lightfoot song, "Alberta Bound", if you don't already know it. That song lifts my spirits and makes me feel better every time I hear it. I hope you continue to enjoy that 00-09.

Cube

Cube,

I'll google the lyrics and chords. I hope some artist is performing it on YouTube.

Thanks... As I've mentioned a few times in my posts elsewhere, I figure my OO-09 will force me to learn other playing techniques

besides my usual flatpicking and sometimes very excited strumming.  :nana_guitar

ricky

Ricky,

Thanks for the review postings. I'm intrigued that you used it to accompany more than 20 people singing. I would not have expected that, and that tidbit of information is helpful.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)