000-60 back from Oxnard for repairs.

Started by GA-ME, January 23, 2008, 01:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dxn2 on January 26, 2008, 06:45:41 AM
GA-ME,

Everyone is entitled to have bad day. Perhaps you caught the Larrivee folks on one of theirs.  I'd give them a call (always better than email) and respectfully state your case again.

It's amusing to see the Fanboys (look it up) come rushing to defend the Larrivee honor.

Don

Don, I agree completely.  The simple fact is: anyone who has even a rudimentary knowledge of setup specifications knows that there is a problem here.  Larrivee did NOT properly address this situation if they returned the guitar in the condition reported.  Any number of ill-informed fanboy defenders arguing to the contrary does not change that (it merely exposes the fact that some guitar players know very little about repair topics).  I expect that Larrivee will make this right - if they don't they deserve the criticism.

The OP has been criticized for expecting a reset before the factory evaluated the problem.  As I stated before - it does not take a master luthier to recognize that a problem is related to the neck angle.  Shaving a bridge is a response to a neck angle issue - in 40 years of guitar playing, I have never seen a bridge shaved when there was not a neck angle problem (to get a "normal" range of action).  Even if one accepts bridge-shaving - and I most certainly would NOT under any circumstance - the fact remains that the guitar was returned in an unplayable (for most) condition.  If the guitar has only 1 mm of saddle exposed, then that means the 12th fret action could only be lowered to 3.5mm if one were to take the saddle down to flush with the bridge (note that there is a 1:2 relationship - one has to change the saddle 2mm for every 1mm at the 12th fret - basic geometry here).

As I have said before - it is not unheard of for Larrivee to have neck angle issues.  I have found them myself in dealer stocks.  It would behoove anyone who is putting down the $ for any high-end guitar to check the angle before purchasing.  However - that caution does not relieve the manufacturer from honoring instrument warranties - and by doing the CORRECT repair.  This attitude displayed by some of "blaming the victim" is surely based in ignorance rather than ill-will - but it is misguided at best.

Ken

"......If Larrivee's cust service is as good as myself and other's have experienced, then he hasn't painted himself into a corner....."

Larrivee has apparently told him that the neck angle is good.

He will only be satisfied when and if the neck is re-set.  Seems to be a corner, an impasse, or whatever you want to call it.  Or, are you suggesting that Larrivee should do a neck re-set that they feel is unnecessary?  I think that the solution here lies with the dealer.

Quote from: Walkerman on January 26, 2008, 09:31:46 AM
"......If Larrivee's cust service is as good as myself and other's have experienced, then he hasn't painted himself into a corner....."

He will only be satisfied when and if the neck is re-set.  Seems to be a corner, an impasse, or whatever you want to call it.  Or, are you suggesting that Larrivee should do a neck re-set that they feel is unnecessary?  I think that the solution here lies with the dealer.

I think that some of us are suggesting (or, to use a better word, recognizing) that whoever at Larrivee determined that a neck reset was unnecessary is wrong.  Whoever made the decision that a guitar with these measurements is "normal" or "okay" is wrong.  There is no ill will implied - simply error. Simple as that.

Ken

Quote from: Walkerman on January 26, 2008, 09:31:46 AM

No I don't think an automatic neck reset is in order just because cust thinks so. My main point was that I don't know what you mean by painting himself in a corner. I believe Larrivee is or certainly should be, as open minded about this case as any other. 2ndly, I don't think Larrivee's case should be taken as fact any more than GAME's without thier explanation, technically, of why they don't think it warrents one. I'd like to hear the 2 arguements technically presented.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Just an observation........... I have not seen 1 reply on this thread from any of our known luthier's.

:donut  :coffee  :donut2
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: flatlander on January 26, 2008, 10:26:32 AM
No I don't think an automatic neck reset is in order just because cust thinks so. My main point was that I don't know what you mean by painting himself in a corner. I believe Larrivee is or certainly should be, as open minded about this case as any other. 2ndly, I don't think Larrivee's case should be taken as fact any more than GAME's without thier explanation, technically, of why they don't think it warrents one. I'd like to hear the 2 arguements technically presented.

My point is, GAME previously posted that he was sending his box to Larrivee for a neck re-set.  He didn't say repairs. he said neck re-set. He also said that because Larrivee didn't do a neck re-set, they did him wrong. Now, he is stuck with a neck re-set as being the only solution that Larrivee could do to make him whole.  I call that painting himself into a corner.
If you are suggesting that the folks at Larrivee begin responding publicly to every internet complaint, well, that's simply not realistic.

I hope you can follow this, I often have trouble putting my thoughts on paper.

It is my opinion that this type of situation should not be discussed in a public forum until all avenues of resolution have been investigated and carried to an end. We know that a thread like this is being monitored by Larrivee. Larrivee is being cornered. They have two options in my opinion; make a repair requested, whether necessary or not, or stand their ground with the repairs made.

If they make the requested repair (neck re-set) it appears:                 
·   They dropped the ball when making an assessment of the repairs needed. 
·   They made the simplest repair they could to make the problem go away.
·   They will do anything if you make a  big enough stink over the issue. A bad thing for business.

If they stand their ground it appears:
·   They don't stand behind their product and don't care about customer satisfaction. A bad thing for business.

Larrivee can't win and GA-ME will not happy without a reset. Hopefully the dealer will be able to make all parties happy.

GA-ME is upset and may have a legitimate claim. We may never know.

Both sides of this issue have been painted into a corner.

I will go away now.
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

"......If they stand their ground it appears:
·   They don't stand behind their product and don't care about customer satisfaction. A bad thing for business...."

or.....they feel that what they did was the correct solution.

This topic has been beat to death.  It's closed for now until GA-ME gets this resolved.  If you want to make a comment at a later date GA-ME just let me know and I will open this thread.

Steve