How do I do this ?

Started by skinnybonedog, December 05, 2007, 11:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HI all,

And also with the Parlor, I would like to be able to plug it into my Mac and record with Garage Band....anyone know how to do that. I have an M-audio cord for my digital piano that goes from 1/4 jack into a unit and to a USB plug. Does something like that exist for guitars ?

Tammy

I know the Line6 Guitar Port plugs directly in via a USB port.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: drathbun on December 06, 2007, 12:42:02 PM
I know the Line6 Guitar Port plugs directly in via a USB port.

I have the guitar port, and one of the things that bugs me is that it acts as your sound card, so you need to route the line out of your sound card to the guitarport and then connect the guitarport to your speakers. Too many cables from my perspective. It must have something to do with needing to use the guitar port clock for synchronous recording and playback, but it's annoying nonetheless.

From my understanding of the manual, it looks like the Line6 TonePort has remedied this. The signal chain is only guitar->toneport->computer via usb, but I don't own one, so I can't be sure. M-Audio also makes input devices for around the same prices as line 6, so you may want to check those out.

And for what it's worth, despite my complaints, I have made some satisfactory recordings with the guitarport, but would recommend the toneport, since it is the updated model, and has both hi-z guitar input and xlr input for mics.

I hope that was extra confusing and turned you off to the whole prospect of recording to your computer.  :humour:
Larrivee OM-50 TSB
Customized Fernandes Tele Copy
Godin LG
Carvin Cobalt Rosewood Dread

Quote from: love2play21 on December 06, 2007, 10:22:53 PM
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/garagebandcables

Umm... I'm not sure this is worth it. Just because you're converting the cable from 1/4" to 1/8", you still need some sort of preamp between your guitar and your computer. Computer soundcard inputs are line level. Your guitar is at instrument level. These are two separate voltage ranges and cannot be mixed without introducing noise and distortion.

Also, if you needed to go from 1/4" to 1/8", you can get an adapter for standard instrument cable for a few dollars at RadioShack. Then you have standard instrument cable if you ever need to plug into a guitar amp.

Again, this product by griffin technology is misleading. it is not the entire solution, you still need a preamp to boost your instrument level signal to line level. Go with companies that cater to the music hobbyist, such as line6 or m-audio.

Larrivee OM-50 TSB
Godin LG

Now that you have an Amp, you can run from the amp (out/send plug or headphone plug) into the computer with a 1/4>1/8 cable.... :thumb
" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society

Quote from: SteveO on December 07, 2007, 08:49:31 AM
Now that you have an Amp, you can run from the amp (out/send plug or headphone plug) into the computer with a 1/4>1/8 cable.... :thumb

Definitely! but please don't waste your money on a specific cable to do that. Get a standard 1/4" cable  and a 1/4-1/8 adapter. It's more worth it.

Also, depending on how obsessive you are, the line in signal chain for your sound card is generally of less quality than a USB audio interface, so you still may want to go that route.
Larrivee OM-50 TSB
Godin LG

Tammy:

It looks like you're getting plenty of input on the guitar/Mac interface question. However, I don't think you'll be satisfied with the sound you get recording from a soundhole pickup. I would spend the money on a decent microphone instead. I like the Marshall MXL V67i for the price vs. sound quality. Of course, you'll need an interface with a mic pre or phantom power, which your keyboard interface may already have.
Patrick
Martin HD28-LSV
Gibson L-50(?)
Taylor NS32CE
LaPatrie Etude
Blueridge BR-341
Washburn Mando