Cleartone Strings

Started by RKV, May 17, 2007, 12:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like them?

What strings do you like to use with your Larrivee?

Randy

I've tried Cleartones, Elixirs, D'Addario EXP's and I've never been able to get used to of like coated strings.  They just don't sound like they're ringing free.  I don't like the slippery feel either.  My $.02, YMMV.  Of all the coated strings, I think Elixirs are far and away the most popular and these days, I'd bet the phosphor bronze Elixirs the best selling right now.

Cleartone is OK. Kind of squeaky at first but do a good job. But, I like Elixir and D' Addario also.

I think Larrivee now puts Cleartone on all their guitars from the factory.  They switched from Elixir.

Thanks for the feedback.

Randy

I use bluegrass gauge strings (12-56) on my D-03. D'Addario bluegrass phosphor bronze strings sound really nice on this guitar, but I find they don't last very long. Cleartone bluegrass strings have been a good compromise as they last a long time while having a sound similar to the uncoated D'Addario stirngs. I personally prefer Cleartones to Elixirs as far as coated strings go. Also, I found the coated D'Addario Exp bluegrass strings to be very stiff...I took thiem off in a big hurry!   
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee OM-03R
Seagull M12
Martin Shenandoah

I hated the cleartone strings that came on my OMv60 - I only think they were their because they have a long shelf life not sound quality - Why hasnt Larrivee learned from their mistakes and put Dadarrio PB strings on thir guitars - they sound better and theyd sell more guitars !

Quote from: RKV on May 17, 2007, 12:38:12 PM
Do you like them?

What strings do you like to use with your Larrivee?

Randy

Cleartones are the worst strings I've ever tried. They had a lot of friction and sounded very thin.

I use plain old Martin 80/20s light guage. I think I'm going to start using Schoenberg Soloist strings on there since they are my favorites on the OM/PW.

Aren't Cleartone's the ones that we got free on this forum a few months back?  There was a thread about it started by the manufacturer.  If these are the same ones, I like them.  I got a set of lights and, while I don't really like lights, I could tell that I would've really enjoyed them in medium.  I just won't pay the prices for coated strings. 

I like the Cleartones more than I use to. But, I am going to try the D' Addario and Elixir strings again and make a good comparison.

Thanks for the feedback. And, sorry to put this post in the wrong area.

Randy

Gosh, strings are so player-specific and so instrument-specific.  Whatever strings I like or use doesn't mean that anyone else will necessarily like them or use them.

Strings are definitely a person and guitar-specific choice!

I have to say that I didn't like the feel or sound of the Cleartones either.  They had too much friction and string noise for me.

I've had very good luck with the Martin SP+ 80/20s mediums for my CS-09.  They're the coated version of the regular SPs, but the coating is very thin and the strings feel very close to the uncoated versions.  I also like the bronzing of the high e and b strings - seems to help them last longer.

I vote with those who say try several.

So far nothing has sounded or played as well as new untreated D'Addario phos bronze for me, but they do not last as long as others, but again those first hours of play are the best.

Right now I'm using Elixir phos bronze nanos because I had to try them based on all the hype and talk. I suppose I'll admit that a set of EJ16s sould have lost their edge already, but they make my dreadnought sound like a weak and wimpy little O or parlor guitar.

I'm with those who say the Cleartones are sticky, but I tried Fast Fret on them toward their end of life.

I also tried webstrings.com for phos bronze acoustic and electric strings and you can't complain about them when you realize they're $3 or less. They lasted longer than the EJ16s I love.

This leaves me wondering if EXP D'Addarios have the growl and percussion the EJs have, but with more life.

I also want to try DRs because DR round cores are just superb on my Telecaster.

Have fun experimenting!

Try a set of Curt Mangan PB's.  I had been using Elixir PB Nanowebs, but these Mangans sound better and seem to last a long time.  I've had this first set on for at least a month with no degradation in tone.  I miss the "no slide noise" of the Elixirs, but I think the difference in tone is worth it. 

David

Thanks for the nice suggestions.

I will continue to experiment to find the best sound I'm looking for.

I got a set of D' Addario that I will soon put on my OMV-5 as soon as I wear down these Cleartones :bgrin: Then, I will look into the other types such as Martin, Elixir, Curt Mangan, etc...

I do know I like Lights for my OM and Medium for my Dred. But, I've sort of floundered around with different guitar strings throughout the years and just haven't quite defined what I like best yet.

I really need to finally get to the bottom of this issue and settle it once and for all. What type strings do I like most? The answer may not be far away :smile:

Randy

QuoteI really need to finally get to the bottom of this issue and settle it once and for all.

If you do, let me know.  I've been working on it for a decade or so.  :winkin:
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I bought my Larrivée L-03 in July 2006 from Long & McQuade.  Before leaving the store, I asked the manager to replace the Cleartone strings that were on the guitar.  I found the Cleartone strings way to 'sticky' to my feel.  One of the guitar technicians put on the Elixir Nanoweb Custom Lights that I requested .....  I really wanted the Elixir Polywebs, but they didn't have the gauge in stock.    :thumbsup
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Elixir is the string I use to use. They are good. Martin also.

New Cleartone strings do stick and squeak but those initial problems gradually fade with use.

I want to give D' Addario a try.

Randy

Has anyone tried the Snake-Oil Brand acoustic strings. I really like their electric strings. Really pricey tho'.

http://www.sobstrings.net/
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I bought my OM-03R from Guitar Adoptions without having the privilege of playing it first.  The cleartone strings that came on it didn't sound good to me.  In fact, if I'd played the guitar in a store first I probably wouldn't have bought it and would have wondered what all the fuss over Larrivee guitars was about.  After trying a couple of other brands of strings I finally settled on my old reliable D'addario EJ-16's for the OM-03r and it came alive.  I probably won't use anything else on it from now on.  I'm one who doesn't get wrapped up in sting longevity.  I'd rather have the guitar sound sweet for a short time before re-stringing instead of having it sound just so-so for several months.

Since I offered in the last string post, I will here as well. I have a bunch of strings left over from my string quest. To anyone who is insterested, for $25 I will send you a set of Elixir Nanoweb, Kyser PowerCore, and Newtone MasterClass. The first two will also recieve the left over Darco lights (the first four strings).
Elixer Nanoweb Light   / .012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .053
Kyser PowerCore   11's   / .011, .015, .023, .030, .040, .050
Newtone MasterClass M/L  / .012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .052
The partial set of Darco is one extra light starting at .010
The other partial set of Darco is the light starting at .012
I've ended up with the Newtone Master Class. But if you want to try a few sets, it would get them out of my gig bag.  :thumbsup
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass