Pure Western- Removal of unit

Started by aaronjnoone, February 09, 2007, 08:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a technique for removing the K&K pure western from my bridgeplate? It's superglued on there. Is it there forever or can I get it off safely without damaging the transducers & wood?

I want to put a different P/U in this guitar, but keep the K&K for another instrument.

Thanks,
-A

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

The only technique I've seen for this involved using a very sharp blade, like a boxcutter blade, and work it in between the transducer and the wood, being careful not to 'fold' the pup or pull on the wire. Any crease or bend in the transducer will render it useless.

Sounds good in theory, except I can't for the life of me see how one would get the blade at the proper angle inside the guitar, especially without slicing fingers. You can read about the technique...I think I saw it on FretTech.

Personally, I'd go in assuming the pickup is toast, and aim for minimal damage to the guitar. If the pickup comes out usable, great, but I wouldn't hesitate to scrap it myself. The strapjack and any preamp should still be usable.

I do believe it was a one way trip. K&K supplies you with a tape that can be used instead of going directly to the wood that allows you to remove it.
I agree with sgarnett, it will probably be toast.
Ruben

Thanks. Too bad, but it wasn't that expensive.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.