Does a Guitar like this exist?

Started by Blue in VT, January 22, 2007, 12:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy all,

Just shopping around or ideas...I've been considering a 00 for some time but I'm not sure where to look.  New or used.

My requirenments would be:
1. 1 3/4 in. nut
2. short scale (24.75 or so)
3. solid wood
4. under $1000
5. HSC

Bonus items would be:
1. Slothead
2. hog top

I'm open to suggestions....thanks all.

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I have one close. A Gibson WM-00. Spruce top, hog back and sides, short scale, hsc and also has a dovetail neck joint and scallopped braces. The only thing is a 23/32 nut width but to be honest the neck is pretty chuncky and feels like 1 3/4. They were only made in 1998 and are pretty hard to come by but it is a great guitar. Great blues fingerpicker but also strums and flatpicks well. It has a rather deep 4 3/4 inch depth (I think) Which seems to help it handle strumming and thumping better than a regular 00 guitar. The list was around $1195 I think and they can be had for under $1000 used.

Tim

Hey Chris,

I've seen and actually tried one of these locally:

http://www.ariaguitars.com/int/03_products/pro_ag_ap_dlx.html

They were asking ~$700-800CDN, brand new without a hsc and I think the b/s are laminated.

I guess it's more a parlor but still, the one I played was great. 

Trout,

the gibbi sounds intersting...I'll poke around and see if I can find any additional info on them and if there are any available.  I would prefer less depth than that...gibsons in general I have little experience with but I'm interested in trying a few...thanks

Denis,

That is a sweet looking guitar...I wish there were a few more details about size etc.  Where did you happen to find one to play?

thanks guys

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

One of my favorite/fantasy guitars is the Ian Anderson Signature model O-28BR from Martin. I think it's pretty close to your specs, although I don't have those figures at hand. The other consideration is how deep your guitar budget runs. The axe listed at $5500 or thereabouts but Martin lists them as sold out/out of production. I would expect to pay a premium over this figure.

One of the really great things about this axe is that it has an innovative bridge design to allow use of either steel or nylon strings.

I know...I would pay it too...in a heartbeat if I could just shake loose an extra 8 or 9 thou.

Quote from: Blue in VT on January 22, 2007, 02:54:34 PM
Trout,

the gibbi sounds intersting...I'll poke around and see if I can find any additional info on them and if there are any available.  I would prefer less depth than that...gibsons in general I have little experience with but I'm interested in trying a few...thanks

Denis,

That is a sweet looking guitar...I wish there were a few more details about size etc.  Where did you happen to find one to play?

thanks guys

Blue

I played this one:

http://www.retrotownmusic.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=65&products_id=1087

It was great for the price.  Sorry, I don't have any more info than this Blue.

http://www.retrotownmusic.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=65&products_id=1087