Searching the right guitar

Started by gigiverino, March 15, 2008, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hi,
I really want to buy a larrivee acoustic and I'm seeking for some advices.
I need a quite versatile guitar: flat picking, fingerpicking and acoustic blues.
I was thinking about the L body shape. As regarding body wood I really like how rosewood looks, feels and sounds but will it be good for "blues sound"?
My budget is about 1500-2000$. I don't need a cutaway and I would like to have installed something like a L.R. Baggs iMix System. What's your suggestion? Rosewood? Mahogany? Sapele? L3? L5?
Thanks in advance.

HI and  :welcome:

i think that any of the L model guitars would do you fine. I'm more partial to rosewood for fingerpicking since it gives a little bit more boom than mahogany but if you're not looking for the deep overtones then mahogany would probably be a better choice. you can get a mighty fine larrivee for 1500-2000 bucks!

Overall i think that the L-body is a very versatile guitar that you will be pleased with
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Sounds like either the OM or L would suit you just fine. How aggressively do you flatpick? This might influence your decision.

If I was primarily a flatpicker who also wanted to be able to fingerpick acoustic blues, I'd go with the L body. If I was primarily a fingerpicker who also flatpicked from time to time, the OM would be my choice. If you don't mind wider necks, then an SD might be your best bet as it can handle aggressive flatpicking while the 1 7/8" neck is enjoyed by many contemporary fingerpickers. My favorite flatpicker, Norman Blake, has had several SDs in his collection and the wider neck didn't stop him from flatpicking on a wider necked guitar (take a look at vintage Martins and you'l find plenty of 1 7/8" necks). I initially bought an SD for both finger and flatpicking, but eventually had the action lowered and it's now my primary guitar for fingerpicking pre-war acoustic blues tunes. You get incredible volume with minimum effort.

All that being said, if you play an equal amount of finger/flatpicking, then the easy answer, IMO, is the L body, as it's equally suited for both.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Quote from: Novalis on March 15, 2008, 01:54:28 PM
All that being said, if you play an equal amount of finger/flatpicking, then the easy answer, IMO, is the L body, as it's equally suited for both.

Thanks, I think so. What about the wood?

Mahogany would be my choice were I wanting an L-body guitar for an equal amount of flat/fingerpicking. On an OM I prefer rosewood for fingerpicking, though.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

I would echo the recommendations posted by Novalis. I too have been a big Norman Blake fan since I first saw him perform live back in 1976. With a $1,500 to $2,000 budget you should be able to get the guitar of your choice and adopt any of the suggestions offered.

Try to go to a shop with a variety of guitars to play and take your time deciding. I am fortunate to live within 45 minutes of Trinity Guitars and Jim always has a good selection of Larrivees in stock to choose from and compare. I took two of my son's buddies in and they both walked away with a Larrivee (one L-03R and one D-05M with bearclaw spruce top).  A number of dealers still have several available at last year's prices but I suspect they are going fast.

For what it's worth, I put an L.R. Baggs I Beam in my 12 string L-03V because it is unobtrusive and does a nice job. I walked out the door for around $1,200. 

Powered by EzPortal