Warning: fopen(/home/larrivee/public_html/forum/cache/data_c8eb41764872e65b86fe28266a8f2ee4-SMF-modSettings.cache): failed to open stream: Disk quota exceeded in /home/larrivee/public_html/forum/Sources/Cache/APIs/FileBased.php on line 84
What is the difference in sound between OM 60 and D60

What is the difference in sound between OM 60 and D60

Started by memphis larrivee, January 21, 2008, 11:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I am considering buying a new guitar.  I lead worship and play live every week so I need a guitar that sounds great live.  Currently I have a  L-03RE with Baggs Element pickup. Sounds great but just have a guitar itch and can finally afford one. 

At first I was considering a D60 due to the dread and can take a pounding.....Then really starting looking at Taylor GS8 with Spruce and Rosewood back with the Expression system.  Having a hard time getting over the Taylor brightness of sound though.  I guess I am just used to the Larrivee sound.  I am a strummer player though.  That is how I play so need something that will respond well to that.

What would a Larrivee OM 50 or 60 sound like in comparison?  I like the look and think the body style might fit me well.  I don't know much about the OM sound though??  Will it sound like a dread?  Thanks for any input!

I like the look of OM's too.  They are very comfortable to play but neither will sound like a dread or an L body for that matter.  You'll lose volume and bass yet I don't know how they would sound plugged in.  Good to hear from you again.
More than I deserve.

IMHO the OM's have amazing balance across the strings.  Yes, you will lose some bass and volume when compared to a dred or L, but the OM will give you a sweetness and balance that the others do not offer.  With electronics, the volume should be less of an issue.  OM's are good for fingerpicking and strumming, but I would argue that they are far more fingerpicker friendly than strummer friendly.

Quote from: tonejones on January 24, 2008, 09:00:26 AM
IMHO the OM's have amazing balance across the strings.  Yes, you will lose some bass and volume when compared to a dred or L, but the OM will give you a sweetness and balance that the others do not offer.  With electronics, the volume should be less of an issue.  OM's are good for fingerpicking and strumming, but I would argue that they are far more fingerpicker friendly than strummer friendly.

:+1:
Roger


"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I have used the following guitars to lead people in singing. Martin HD-28, Larrivee L-03, Larrivee OM-03R, and Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ 500R. Each guitar has strengths and weaknesses. The Martin is my best sounding guitar and it strums very well. I have the best and most natural pickup in it with the Fishman Ellipse Blend. The L -03 can hold its own in most situations but I am not as crazy about the KK pure western Pickup. I currently have heavy strings tuned down 1 whole step. The Om -03R has light strings and a fishman rare earth blend pickup. It does not strum well plugged in. Great for playing up the neck but not as much volume. I sold the Epiphone.

Powered by EzPortal