My first tunes, start criticizing

Started by jox51, June 24, 2005, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just recorded these tunes within the last 30 minutes. Tell me what you think.

Gear used was a Larrivee LV-05MT recorded through a KEL HM-1 mic. Audio interface was a  M-Audio Mobile-Pre . And the software used to record was Audacity. Just in case yall dont hear a sound, unmute the microphone in your sound properties control panel. Thats what I had to do for some reason.

Thanks for listening

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2ST0FLQ7IW9OT1REN9TM95BCTM First Tune Blues

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3BMDIEKFTIPOW1WVHOVXQXS0MK  Tribute to the First Position

jox51,

Way to go! Thanks for taking the tie to post these. That KEL mic sounds good.
Ron

Thanks I appreciate it. For some reason my bass sounds a little muddy on the first tune. I might have to get a second mic or play with mic position.

Thanks again for listening.

I am listening to your file on a fairly nice studio monitor system and it doesn't sound bad at all. If you do want to change the tone I would recommend experimenting with mic positioning before you try any EQ. Eventually you will hear the "sweet" spot.

Rather than add another mic, try the following:

Copy and paste your original single track to a seperate track. Pan one track hard left, the other hard right. Now add a slight delay to one channel. This will simulate recording with two microphones spaced slightly apart from each other.

With the equipment you already have, and a good bit of experimentation, you should be able to get a pretty nice sound.

Have fun.
Ron

when i clicked on your link it said file expired.

I got the expired file notice plus an annoying popup! I have no idea how it got past my Firewall/AntiVirus!  :EM>

Quote from: ronmac on June 24, 2005, 07:04:40 PM
Copy and paste your original single track to a seperate track. Pan one track hard left, the other hard right. Now add a slight delay to one channel. This will simulate recording with two microphones spaced slightly apart from each other.

That's an awesome tip! I just went back into an old recording that I did in Audacity with a cheap omni-directional PC mic and the results were really surprising! I'm gonna have to remember that one!

:ph34r:
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610