Current Resale Value of o-o1 Koa Parlor

Started by mysticmuse8, March 29, 2022, 12:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selling my 0-01Koa, a parlor size model with Koa back & sides, BC Sitka Spruce top, Honduran Mahogany neck, and African ebony fingerboard and bridge. Initially cost about $1200 MSRP when it was first purchased 22 years ago.
Larrivée Service Department says that today's replacement value is somewhere around $4000 MSRP. It is in excellent condition - hasn't been played a lot.
Does this sound accurate?
Thank you

Keep in mind, used prices are no where near MSRP. A good condition L-03E Koa recently sold on eBay for $1,100. A P09 for $1,300. 0-01 for $900 (which feels high). Prices are all over the place right now. They were inflated during the pandemic and seem to be coming down pretty quick. I think the big money is gone so, if it were mine, I'd try for $1,200 to $1,300 and accept anything over a thousand if I had to. I doubt you're getting 1,300 for it but the way things are, you never know.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I'll weigh in with an amateur take till others more experienced weigh in.

Generally, I've read that a name brand used guitar is priced at about 50% of it's purchase price when new. But it's never as simple as that as condition, age, model, scarcity etc are factored in.

Your's is IMHO a niche model, it's likely going to be someone's 3rd or 4th guitar due to it's specialized size and tone. That limits the market for it quite a bit. Your likely buyer is going to be a Larrivee owner who will appreciate it more than a casual Reverb buyer, so posting it here with links to pictures would be a good start.

Dunno what the guys at Larrivee were smoking when you called but a quick google got at least 7 hits priced from $600 to $900 which sounds about right. If you can be patient you might list it there starting at $1K but take $800 . . .

Best of luck!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

I love Larrivees and currently own 3. I've bought 3 new Larrivees and it's always a scary proposition as they just don't seem to hold their value as well as other makes. The OM-40 I sold, I was happy to have only lost $450 CAD.

It's understandable that Larrivee thinks their guitars hold their value more on the used market then they actually do ;-)

When I bought my O-01 in 1999, it was under $400 with the bag brand new. For the same price, I could have gotten mahogany, rosewood, or koa, all spruce topped.  The best sounding one was the mahogany one that I left with.  I don't know where those msrp numbers came from, but they don't sound accurate to me.  Getting a koa O-01 would be a custom guitar since they aren't making that model now so I'm not sure what it would cost to replace one.  I'd expect it to sell for more than the price it originally sold for, but nowhere near that $4k (or the $1200).  And, fwiw, my prices are in US dollars, maybe the original post was another currency.

And hmm, now it occurs to me that one of the rules here is not discussing pricing.  If the moderators find this reply out of line and against the rules, please delete it and accept my apologies.

Ed

Quote from: eded on March 29, 2022, 08:41:33 AM
When I bought my O-01 in 1999, it was under $400 with the bag brand new. For the same price, I could have gotten mahogany, rosewood, or koa, all spruce topped.  The best sounding one was the mahogany one that I left with.  I don't know where those msrp numbers came from, but they don't sound accurate to me.  Getting a koa O-01 would be a custom guitar since they aren't making that model now so I'm not sure what it would cost to replace one.  I'd expect it to sell for more than the price it originally sold for, but nowhere near that $4k (or the $1200).  And, fwiw, my prices are in US dollars, maybe the original post was another currency.

And hmm, now it occurs to me that one of the rules here is not discussing pricing.  If the moderators find this reply out of line and against the rules, please delete it and accept my apologies.

Ed

I don't believe that anyone has violated the forum rules regarding price in this thread.

The rules regard pricing by dealers.
So far, the OP had not listed a price, I am sure a price will be listed once the OP becomes comfortable, and perhaps describes more about the specific condition of the guitar, maybe add pics.
Anyhow, the MSRP as stated by Larrivee to the OP  is pretty close. We know sort of how to figure it.....
Just take the base MSRP of the closest available guitar in rosewood and add to that the upgrade for Koa (not cheap).
I'm with Bowie on his estimate for selling price.
Using a current replacement value to price an older used guitar ain't the way it works.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 29, 2022, 10:53:06 AM
The rules regard pricing by dealers.

At least I'm starting to remember there are rules.   :laughin:

So far, the OP had not listed a price, I am sure a price will be listed once the OP becomes comfortable, and perhaps describes more about the specific condition of the guitar, maybe add pics.
Anyhow, the MSRP as stated by Larrivee to the OP  is pretty close. We know sort of how to figure it.....
Just take the base MSRP of the closest available guitar in rosewood and add to that the upgrade for Koa (not cheap).
I'm with Bowie on his estimate for selling price.
Using a current replacement value to price an older used guitar ain't the way it works.
Mike

I went to the Larrivee site and looked at price lists.  The closest guitar I could find to an O-01 was a P-03.  MSRP $2298, koa upgrade on the custom price list  MSRP $1500.  That ends up at $3798 which is close enough to a ballpark estimate of $4000 I guess. So I see where the number came from, but I don't think it's a realistic price to hope for.

Just my $.02

I agree BOWIE and jpmist are in the right neighborhood.

Mike and eded bring up good points about msrp. Note that Koa upcharge, $1,500. There are some woods that are difficult to source now. Luthiers don't have a problem getting pieces here and there at a reasonable price but a major manufacturer is going to charge a steep premium for them. Highly figured koa may indeed be worth a $1,500 upgrade on a custom L-10. But, on a 2000-era O-1 (which is about an $800 instrument right now), the used market cost jump for a koa version averages $200 to $300.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: eded on March 29, 2022, 12:12:25 PM
At least I'm starting to remember there are rules.   :laughin:

I went to the Larrivee site and looked at price lists.  The closest guitar I could find to an O-01 was a P-03.  MSRP $2298, koa upgrade on the custom price list  MSRP $1500.  That ends up at $3798 which is close enough to a ballpark estimate of $4000 I guess. So I see where the number came from, but I don't think it's a realistic price to hope for.

Just my $.02

I agree BOWIE and jpmist are in the right neighborhood.

Thanks for illustrating the pricing eded, however... Any custom wood option is always based off the Rosewood price, not Mahogany.

0-01 is essentially a P-03. Pricing for a 0-01K would look like this today.

P-03R = $2648 MSRP
Koa = $1500 MSRP
---------------
Total = $4148 MSRP

I knocked off a $148 for the sake of it being an 01 and gave OP an estimated MSRP of $4000.

PS. jpmist >> That was me that the OP was talking to. I am pretty sure I was not "smoking something" btw, lol. My MSRP evaluation was pretty bang on :thumbsup

Quote from: J M Larrivée on March 29, 2022, 03:20:32 PM

Thanks for illustrating the pricing eded, however... Any custom wood option is always based on the Rosewood price, not Mahogany.

0-01 is essentially a P-03. Pricing for a 0-01K would look like this today.

P-03R = $2648 MSRP
Koa = $1500 MSRP
---------------
Total = $4148 MSRP

I knocked off a $148 for the sake of it being an 01 and gave OP an estimated MSRP of $4000.

PS. jpmist >> That was me that the OP was talking to. I am pretty sure I was not "smoking something" btw, lol. My MSRP evaluation was pretty bang on :thumbsup

Can't dispute that.  LOL  Thanks for the clarification.

Just out of curiosity, would there be an up charge or down charge to change the trim level (i.e. no body binding, rosette, etc.) to -01 from the -03 baseline price?

Ed

Quote from: jpmist on March 29, 2022, 07:44:48 AM
I'll weigh in with an amateur take till others more experienced weigh in.

Generally, I've read that a name brand used guitar is priced at about 50% of it's purchase price when new. But it's never as simple as that as condition, age, model, scarcity etc are factored in.

Your's is IMHO a niche model, it's likely going to be someone's 3rd or 4th guitar due to it's specialized size and tone. That limits the market for it quite a bit. Your likely buyer is going to be a Larrivee owner who will appreciate it more than a casual Reverb buyer, so posting it here with links to pictures would be a good start.

Dunno what the guys at Larrivee were smoking when you called but a quick google got at least 7 hits priced from $600 to $900 which sounds about right. If you can be patient you might list it there starting at $1K but take $800 . . .

Best of luck!

Thanks! Very helpful.
I am new to this - where can I post it here? How do I do that?

Quote from: eded on March 29, 2022, 03:27:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, would there be an up charge or down charge to change the trim level (i.e. no body binding, rosette, etc.) to -01 from the -03 baseline price?

Ed

That's a good question, eded. There is never down-charging off a base model when custom ordering. For example; We on occasion get custom orders for satin finish 09's. But there is no discount (down-charge) for that, even though it is cheaper to do satin.

Quote from: mysticmuse8 on March 29, 2022, 12:51:52 AM
Selling my 0-01Koa, a parlor size model with Koa back & sides, BC Sitka Spruce top, Honduran Mahogany neck, and African ebony fingerboard and bridge. Initially cost about $1200 MSRP when it was first purchased 22 years ago.
Larrivée Service Department says that today's replacement value is somewhere around $4000 MSRP. It is in excellent condition - hasn't been played a lot.
Does this sound accurate?
Thank you

Thank you all, everybody who responded. it was all so helpful!

That was me that the OP was talking to. I am pretty sure I was not "smoking something" btw, lol. My MSRP evaluation was pretty bang on :thumbsup

My sincere apologies!  I was unaware of the $1500 Koa upcharge! Putting myself in the time out chair to practice my scales on my still lovely OO-05 custom you guys made for Wildwood that fell into my hands almost 10 years ago. Thanks for that special guitar! :whistling:
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: mysticmuse8 on March 29, 2022, 07:45:28 PM

Thanks! Very helpful.
I am new to this - where can I post it here? How do I do that?

Well, since hazing newbies is a Forum tradition here ("what, no donuts?") I'll give you a link that should start you off.  :winkin:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?action=forum#7

You need 10 posts to post pictures? or is that just to do DMs? Not sure, but you're half-way there. I use the site IMGUR.com to help post pictures on forums, but there are quite a few websites that will do just as well.

Quote from: J M Larrivée on March 30, 2022, 11:40:51 AM
That's a good question, eded. There is never down-charging off a base model when custom ordering. For example; We on occasion get custom orders for satin finish 09's. But there is no discount (down-charge) for that, even though it is cheaper to do satin.

Thanks again.  Great information.

Ed

$4K?  Just a tad too high but good luck! FWiW, I had a 2000 circa all Koa Parlor I bought new. To make it my personal axe, I polished the satin finish to a semi gloss finish, replaced the pickguard with a tortoise one, changed out the ping tuners to Gotoh 510 gold mini tuners with black buttons and installed a UST pickup.  For me, that was my travel guitar and went with me everywhere. When I put it up for sale a few years ago, Koa wood guitars were pretty rare to come by, but being a long time member on this forum I put up for sale exclusively on the Forum with what I thought was a fair price of $1350 to a fellow member. When the eventual buyer reached out to me it to me, he was a newbie but nevertheless, I gave him a detailed in hand description, emailed  pictures including notable scratches and dings. I even sent videos of the guitar being played. When he decided to buy it I even covered the shipping and insurance. I felt pretty good about the sale until he received it and complained I didn't give a full diclosuee and wanted a $100 credit. He acted like an 18 year old guitar should have been mint when I held it out as exc. cond. I ended up settling with him for less chalking it up to a nuisance suit but it left a bad taste in my mouth. That being said, my advice if you put it on a this or any other forum sell it to an established member with a history and not a newbie trolling the forums for a steal.
Cheers! Koamon
Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Composite Acoustics Cargo
UnclRob's Parts Telecaster

Here's as all-koa Larrivee parlor, approximately same vintage, for sale now that may/may not offer some frame of reference.
By all means, not an exact match to the guitar in question here.

https://reverb.com/item/51765412-larrivee-p-01kk-2003-all-koa-parlor-parlour?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=51765412