My new one-of-a-kind custom Larrivee

Started by Denis, August 25, 2017, 07:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So a while back, after John Jr asked if I would like to be a Larrivee artist on their website, I decided it was time to get the Larrivee I'd always wanted.  A custom that had all the options just for me.  On Monday of this week, it finally arrived.  So basically it's a standard LV-03, mahogany and sitka but with a 12 fret neck joint.  I'm a sucker for a 12 fret neck.  I've always loved the old Larrivee style so I got the marquetry rosette.  As I went through all the list their custom options, I saw that I could get it with the new 40 series scalloped bracing so obviously, I went with that.  I wanted upgraded tuners as well.  I wanted chrome Schaller tuners but they aren't available and the guitar was shipped with the standard Larrivee chrome tuners.  John Jr offered to send me some gold Schallers...they're being shipped out today, free of charge and they should drop right in. 

When the guitar arrived on Monday, it had the standard factory set up which is very high.  I took it to my luthier here in town yesterday.  He tweaked the neck, lowered the saddle and adjusted the nut slots.  He did all this while I waited, watching him work his magic.  It took 15 min and the guitar is now playing like a dream.  When I finally got it home, I put a new set of D'Addario EJ17, plain old uncoated PB strings. The sound is deep due to the bracing pattern and 12 fret neck but the mahogany makes for clean clear highs.  My fingertips are raw and my hands are sore from all the playing.  It's truly my dream guitar!  Here are a few shots but I should have a new video up in the next couple of days.  I put the order in back in early March and guitar arrived on August 21, a little over 5 months.  Thanks to Matt and John Jr!!!

Congrats Dennis!   I hope you get to put up a recording when you get a chance. Sounds like a sweet one. 
I'm still waiting on John Jr. to contact me, but based on my playing, it may be a while :tongue:.

Great looking guitar, enjoy playing it.
I'm awaiting delivery today of my L-10, feel like a kid at Christmas waiting.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Very nice, Denis! You spec'd out a sweet guitar - well thought out. Having the full size L body with a 12 fret neck should make it feel like a smaller guitar (with a bigger tone!). I also love the old style rosette - good choice. Can't wait to hear a few tunes when you get the time.

:nice guitar:

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Whoa! That is nice. Good for you Denis. Sitka is da best  :thumbsup
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I have heard from a reliable source that because of the bridge placement, 12 fretters  sound better than 14 fretters.  My current fav is OM 12 fret with new parabolic hybrid bracing.  Tone and volume cannons. 

Very nice broad grain spruce top.  Is it Canadian or European Spruce?

George

Lovely guitar, and congrats on becoming a larrivee artist.
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Yes, a 12-fret Larrivee L would be a gem.  I would enjoy owning and playing one.

Beautiful guitar!  I love, love, love my 12 fret Larrivees!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That guitar has a certain wonderful look to it. Just sitting still leaning against the chair, you can almost hear it. Congratulations!
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Absolutely beautiful Dennis! I can only imagine how an L with a 12 fret neck must sound! Enjoy!
Treenewt

Here's a quick video I made yesterday.  I'll be making more soon.  This guitar is so nice.  Warm and responsive, great bass but bright and clear.  It will take a few months of regular playing to start opening up but I'm looking forward to putting in the time!

Thanks for watching.

https://youtu.be/ixUjXJjslBo

Another Great One Denis!  I really enjoy listening to you play, and your new LV sounds delicious...

George

Quote from: George on August 26, 2017, 09:44:36 AM
Another Great One Denis!  I really enjoy listening to you play, and your new LV sounds delicious...

+1! Sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds fantastic Dennis! Man I love the way you play!  Enjoy that one!
Treenewt

Quote from: Denis on August 26, 2017, 09:38:05 AM

https://youtu.be/ixUjXJjslBo

Lovely tune. Well done. It sounds nice already. Will certainly sound even better when it opens up and you get to know each other.  :thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992