Talk me out of this.

Started by AZLiberty, May 23, 2017, 11:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stopped by the Tempe GC tonight, they just took in a trade on a D-03.

Factory LR Baggs electronics.  2007 Build (looked it up).  Sapele B/S (according to the look-up) with maple binding. Appears in perfect shape.  I asked and it does have the Larrivee Factory hard shell case.

Priced at $449.

And I have been shopping for an acoustic with electronics that is free of Rosewood or Bubinga...

If it had been an L or an OM I'd have grabbed it already, but I really don't like dreads.  I've been trying to sell a Dread 12 for a while now...  But at the price so tempting....  *sigh*

Talk me out of it....

" I really don't like dreads.  I've been trying to sell a Dread 12 for a while now... "

Sorry, I won't be of any help unless you end up buying it and want some congratulations.  :bgrin:
At that price, it's fairly risk-free.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on May 23, 2017, 11:37:56 PM
Sorry, I won't be of any help unless you end up buying it and want some congratulations.  :bgrin:
At that price, it's fairly risk-free.

Yep, at that price, you ought to be able to recover your money if you end up not liking it. 

Ed

Are you seriously looking to be talked out of it?  We are nothing but a bunch of sympathizers and enablers here.  Enjoy your nee guitar! :beer
It only hurts when your not in tune!

AZLIberty,

"Talk me out of this"

At the end of the day will you wish that you had spent more time buying and selling guitars you didn't really like?

Quote from: ST on May 24, 2017, 04:45:49 PM
AZLIberty,

"Talk me out of this"

At the end of the day will you wish that you had spent more time buying and selling guitars you didn't really like?

Very good point.    If anyone needs a D-03 the Tempe GC has one at a killer price.   I'll pass on this one and either hunt for a used Martin 000RS1 or Rainsong Parlor.  Or possibly save up and order a custom from Ed Bond.

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 24, 2017, 08:36:12 PM
I'll pass on this one and either hunt for a used Martin 000RS1 or Rainsong Parlor.  Or possibly save up and order a custom from Ed Bond.
:donut :donut2 :coffee
Why are you not happy with the guitars you have?
Why is what you are searching for an "either/or"?
Do you not know what you want?
Just curious.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I've got a 2007 L-03 (that I love) and I always thought it was Sapele, too, but I have seen threads on this forum (and from John, Jr.) that the B/S material is, in fact, Mahogany. Confused now.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 24, 2017, 09:56:25 PM
:donut :donut2 :coffee
Why are you not happy with the guitars you have?

Could use something I can cross international borders with without worrying about CITES/USFWS. (so no rosewood, no bubinga, no shell inlay).

A black walnut OO-03 would be perfect.   (If I had Ed build be a custom it would be a Walnut/Engelman 00, ebony fretboard/bridge, and "binding of Ed's choice but no Rosewood)  :nana_guitar

If you're looking for a good traveller, consider the Composite Acoustics Cargo. It's also a really good everyday guitar. From an ergonomic standpoint, it's the best acoustic instrument here.

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 24, 2017, 10:15:46 PM
Could use something I can cross international borders with without worrying about CITES/USFWS. (so no rosewood, no bubinga, no shell inlay).

A black walnut OO-03 would be perfect.   (If I had Ed build be a custom it would be a Walnut/Engelman 00, ebony fretboard/bridge, and "binding of Ed's choice but no Rosewood)  :nana_guitar

Quote from: ST on May 24, 2017, 10:33:36 PM
If you're looking for a good traveller, consider the Composite Acoustics Cargo. It's also a really good everyday guitar. From an ergonomic standpoint, it's the best acoustic instrument here.

I've played the Cargo, I like the Rainsong 12-fret Parlor better.  Plus the Parlor comes with a proper hard case.  Even with the new FAA rules there is a chance you will have to check your guitar, and the Cargo comes with a Gig Bag.

Hey! While you're all at it, talk me out of the D-02 12 string that is on Reverb for $499 shipped!
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Hi AZLiberty,

I thought I'd seen a recent reference to the Rainsong Parlor. I looked for it in case that was you.

It sounds like that's a better choice for you than the Cargo.

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 25, 2017, 12:11:00 AM
I've played the Cargo, I like the Rainsong 12-fret Parlor better.  Plus the Parlor comes with a proper hard case.  Even with the new FAA rules there is a chance you will have to check your guitar, and the Cargo comes with a Gig Bag.

At the risk of offering unsolicited advice: Get something you WANT rather than something about which you're ambivalent when the most compelling factor is the price.

That is a good price!  BTW I have an older mahogany D03e and I don't think it sounds as dreadnought-like as other brands, if that's what you are avoiding.   More balanced with a slight dip in the midrange.

Sapele is not for me. But my old D-02, which I believe is mahogany, is as fine an old Dread as anybody makes.