Looks Like Tele Style To Me!!!!!

Started by JOYCEfromNS, April 14, 2011, 08:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think the underlying argument or point that some folks are making about a Larrivee Tele copy is this: There are MANY companies, including a number of "high end" custom builders who are making Tele copies, so this is not unique to Larrivee, either as a 'sin' or an 'opporunity,' depending on your point of view.

Larrivee happens to be making (what many of us believe will be) a quality Tele-style guitar at a price point that we are willing to pay for to own. I've owned Fender guitars, and they were all nice instruments. My biggest gripe with Fender is that they make very few options for left-handed players like me, and in recent years, as the number of models they've offered has increased exponentially (mostly rip-off's of their own Tele and Strat designs, btw), the number of their lefty offerings has continued to DECREASE.

My response to this decision by Fender not to expand their left-handed offerings in proportion to their right-handed offerings is for me to spend my money elsewhere. So I have about 7-8 Warmoth guitars I've built in order to get what Fender refuses to build for me (unless I go to their custom shop and spend at least $2,500-$3,500).

My other response is to reward companies like Larrivee with my business when they will make me the very same instruments that they make for right-handed players, without exception and without an upcharge.

This is how business works; you get to choose where to spend your money based on your satisfaction with the products various businesses provide.

Works for me.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

...and I understand your arguments about trademarks.

Yes, Fender did protect their headstock (finally) but not their body shapes. Gibson has protected their body shapes (along with their "open book" headstock shape), therefore every LP or SG copy you see is slightly different from a "real" LP or SG. I'm not sure about 335's - seems some of the copies get very close to the real thing...

...interesting sidebar: my necks from Warmoth all have the licensing stamp on the butt/heel, but the bodies do not. And I've noticed that the forearm cut on my Warmoth Strat bodies is at a slightly different angle than it is on the real Fenders I've owned...so they're not EXACT body copies. My Tele thinline body does seem to be the exact same shape, but I've never eye-balled it with a 'real' Fender Tele.

I don't suppose now would be a good time to post pics of some ASATs ?  :humour:

Another lefty here, there seems to be lots of lefties interested in Larrivee teles,( wonder why that is ?).

It will be interesting to see how they stack up against other teles, both Fender and the smaller builders, of which there are many to choose from. I don't think anyone doubts they will be good, what we'd all like to know is just how good. That part might take a few weeks or months, at that point some members will have played or bought one.

Until then we'll all have ants in our pants thinking about it  :nanadance

Quote from: fritferret on July 01, 2011, 03:58:48 PM
i think jim is just here to piss in the pool.  who the hell cares that larrivee didn't invent the tele body style?  even fender doesn't care.  if they did, they'd sue.

Fender does care and has taken other companies to court over the body styles but lost because they waited too long to protect the company's designs. They do sue today over the headstock design. As for Larrivee, it bothers me that instead of being innovative and creating their own guitars, they are taking the easy way out and making copies.

Quote from: fritferret on July 01, 2011, 03:58:48 PM
  i can't count the number of builder offering tele guitars that all do it BETTER than fender.  i've owned severl fenders over the years and out of all of the guitars i've owned, they were the worst.

I agree..there are many builders who make better Teles than Fender. So why does the world need another?

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on July 01, 2011, 07:25:55 PM
Fender does care and has taken other companies to court over the body styles but lost because they waited too long to protect the company's designs. They do sue today over the headstock design. As for Larrivee, it bothers me that instead of being innovative and creating their own guitars, they are taking the easy way out and making copies.

I agree..there are many builders who make better Teles than Fender. So why does the world need another?

Jim

:yawn
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Jim

Jim,

Because I already have a 20 year "relationship" with Larrivee, I'm interested in continuing to support them/buy their guitars when they make something that meets my musical criteria...that's all. Yes, there are other companies, like G&L (and I'm very interested in their Legacy Special), but I trust Larrivee based on past experience - with both acoustics and electrics - so I'm willing to continue buying their stuff and keeping them in business. It's really that simple.

The headstock copyright thing evidently does not apply in Asia `cause there are lots of makers using both US big two headstocks...bodies as well...maybe they can only protect that in North America because if they could have done something about it they would have by now I think...and yeah I have read about the law suit guitars but as far as I know that was for guitars coming into North America. Seymour Duncan guitars are one example...his line made by ESP and sold in Japan used the Fender headstock but the new anniversary line does not and is sold over there...haven`t seen any in Japan yet. Not ALL Japanese makers use the Big Two headstock, some have their own designs. Not that it matters to me I buy guitars that I like, just that copyright was mentioned in the thread...
and just for fun I was reading in the paper yesterday...the Japanese are upset because the Chinese have copied the Japanese bullet train designs...catch that?...the Japanese are upset over somebody copying their designs...ironic ain`t it?

Since many companies didn't register there name or anything  in China some Chinesse companies have.Now there is a Martin Co.with a very good copy of there logo and Gibson and other brands being produced under those name's for sale world wide.
As for the Larrivee Tele and the the desire to produce a copy of it for whatever reason is there's.The bridge design based on the orig. wasn't designed by them but an independent builder of Tele copies.For the desire for that particular sound many have tried and many have failed including Fender,even though they brought back the person who wound the original pu's.The guitar is different enough with the pu choice's that come from how many Tele players mod'd there own.
So lets all lighten up a little and enjoy the different points of veiw its getting a bit harsh. :smile:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: jwsamuel on July 01, 2011, 03:49:52 PM
Yes, all designs do belong to someone and should not be copied. There is a reason that General Motors does not try to compete with the Toyota Camry by just producing an exact copy of the Camry. They can't do so because Toyota would be all over them. You can only buy Nike shoe designs from Nike. If you want to buy from New Balance, you buy New Balance designs. Try introducing your own exact copy of the Mac OS X operating system. Guitars, like all other products, are designed by people who put their work and effort into developing those designs.

Jim

Well, you are stubbornly entrenched and actually haven't bothered to address what I actually said so  ... toodle-oo, kangaroo.

Quote from: jwsamuel on July 01, 2011, 03:49:52 PM
Yes, all designs do belong to someone and should not be copied. There is a reason that General Motors does not try to compete with the Toyota Camry by just producing an exact copy of the Camry. They can't do so because Toyota would be all over them. You can only buy Nike shoe designs from Nike. If you want to buy from New Balance, you buy New Balance designs. Try introducing your own exact copy of the Mac OS X operating system. Guitars, like all other products, are designed by people who put their work and effort into developing those designs.

Jim

OS X no, but how many folks are now making phones that are copies of the iphone?  How many folks now make tablets like the ipad, and how many folks are making mp3 players like the ipod.  Your argument just doesn't hold water.  Do you work for fender?

Quote from: sneaky on July 01, 2011, 10:09:42 PM
and just for fun I was reading in the paper yesterday...the Japanese are upset because the Chinese have copied the Japanese bullet train designs...catch that?...the Japanese are upset over somebody copying their designs...ironic ain`t it?

"What goes around comes around."

"All my life's a circle,
sunrise and sundown..."
H. Chapin

Jim

nope, fender doesn't care.  but more particularly, the law isn't on their side.  headstocks are a different story.  and the question isn't why do we need another tele, it's doesl arrivee want to make one.  the obvious answer is yes.  if larrivee WANTED to design an original, they could.  anyone can.  designing a guitar shape isn't hard.  building it is and building it into a fine instrument is, but just coming up w/ a shape isn't.  in this one instance, they chose to go w/ a time tested classic design of their choosing.  there's nothing wrong w/ that. it's exactly what they wanted to do. it's their decision to make.  again, it's just stupid to criticize a company for successfully doing what they intended to do.    this isn't a failed attempt at originality.  it is what it is designed to be: a tele w/ a few tweaks.  this is just one guitar in a growing line of electrics.  i'm particularly interested in a larrivee tele because i know they'll make all options available to us lefties and matthew builds an exceedingly fine instrument.  moreover, i don't want a fender guitar or any other tele style guitar i've seen or played.  been their done that.  i am however very interested in buying a larrivee tele.  i bet i'm not alone.

this will be my last reply on this particular subject.  if there were a substantive argument, maybe, but i still think this is just pool pissing.

Quote from: fritferret on July 02, 2011, 11:16:41 AM
if larrivee WANTED to design an original, they could.

I believe the RS-4 and RS-2 are proof enough of that.

Ironically, when I ordered these guitars (through my local mom 'n' pop dealer), the store manager told me it was an excellent guitar, BUT IT WOULDN'T SELL IN SIGNIFICANT NUMBERS BECAUSE IT ISN'T A LES PAUL CLONE. He went on to say that, unfortunately, he would sell 20 inferior Les Paul's (at the same or higher price) for every RS-4 because that's what guitar players want ... the same old designs.

So, Jim, while some of us (present company included, see my guitar list below) will try - and buy - new designs, we're part of that small minority. The majority want the traditional (some would say tried and true) designs/instruments, so that's what companies build.

The only other thing I can think of that Larrivee could do to be different with their Bakersfield would be to make it a set-neck (like the Heritage that someone posted about here earlier), but they've chosen to stick with the traditional ("tried and true") design this time around. And I think it's good - it shows that Larrivee can build a great set neck AND a great bolt-neck guitar, and we all know they also built great neck-through electric guitars in the '80's.

Quote from: Walkerman on July 02, 2011, 09:15:04 AM
OS X no, but how many folks are now making phones that are copies of the iphone?

None. All other smart phones use their own operating systems. Coincidentally, Apple and Samsung are now suing each other over copying each others work.

Quote from: Walkerman on July 02, 2011, 09:15:04 AMHow many folks now make tablets like the ipad,

None. The other tablets use different operating systems. Apple was not the first to make tablet computers. Hewlett Packard and Toshiba made some five or six years ago.

Quote from: Walkerman on July 02, 2011, 09:15:04 AMand how many folks are making mp3 players like the ipod.  Your argument just doesn't hold water. 

No one is making mp3 players like the iPod. BTW, the iPod was not the first mp3 player.

Quote from: Walkerman on July 02, 2011, 09:15:04 AMDo you work for fender?

Nope, but I do appreciate intellectual property.

Jim

Quote from: fritferret on July 02, 2011, 11:16:41 AM
and the question isn't why do we need another tele, it's doesl arrivee want to make one.  the obvious answer is yes.  if larrivee WANTED to design an original, they could.  anyone can.  designing a guitar shape isn't hard.  building it is and building it into a fine instrument is, but just coming up w/ a shape isn't.

Thank you for supporting my side of this argument.

Larrivee wants to make a Tele copy because it is an easier way to get cash.

Thanks again.

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on July 02, 2011, 06:19:00 PM
None. All other smart phones use their own operating systems. Coincidentally, Apple and Samsung are now suing each other over copying each others work.

None. The other tablets use different operating systems. Apple was not the first to make tablet computers. Hewlett Packard and Toshiba made some five or six years ago.

No one is making mp3 players like the iPod. BTW, the iPod was not the first mp3 player.

Nope, but I do appreciate intellectual property.

Jim

Now you are being obtuse and misrepresenting what I posted.  I specifically began my post saying the OS X NO, but....I don't know what your agenda is, but I won't continue on with someone who lies about what I posted.  Toodle-do kangaroo (Duck...sorry to steal your intellectual property, but I did modify it a bit).  Time for ignore.