Martin HD28 Bridge Trouble

Started by Richard III, November 23, 2009, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just noticed that the bridge on my Martin HD 28 (1983) has two cracks (not small but not large), one each just forward of the high E and the Low E pegs.  To my eye it looks like the saddle is leaning forward, angling toward the soundhole.  I think this is going to be a big problem.  Right now I've got two Dampits in it and a case humidifier trying to see if moisture will close the cracks any--a wild stab at diagnosing the problem.  Any ideas, anyone?  Uncle Rob?

richard

Original owner?
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

It's all fixable.  With that fine guitar it will be worth the $$$.  Just get a few different shops (if possible) to look at it before committing to one.

Good luck!
Play it daily for best results.

I am the original owner. Because of the light scalloped bracing, the git came with a five year limited warranty. I figured that meant it was not under warranty after five years.  But since this is not the bracing but the bridge, guess it would be worth a call to Martin, Huh?

Couldn't hurt -
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: Richard III on November 24, 2009, 10:37:30 AM
I am the original owner. Because of the light scalloped bracing, the git came with a five year limited warranty. I figured that meant it was not under warranty after five years.  But since this is not the bracing but the bridge, guess it would be worth a call to Martin, Huh?

That's not correct, ALL martins made in the USA and sold in the USA -or- Canada have a limited lifetime warranty

d.

I didn't know that was true in 1983. Thanx.

It is true now (lifetime warranty to original owner only, as long as it is registered with them/can prove it). Surely, it is worth contacting Martin.
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

I'm waiting to hear back from Martin. According to information with the original warranty which I found, life time warranties ended with serial number 406500 and limited five year warranty beginning with serial number 406501.  This HD 28 is about 33,000 instruments later.  So now I know that I have two Martins with lifetime warranties and this one with the five year limited.  It'll be interesting to see how they respond and I'll post the result here for interested parties.

Go to page 12 here...

Lifetime warranty is still a feature of Martin. But listen to Martin's reply to rest your mind. Only original owners have this warranty. There is one exception, but I won't go into that.
Dave

Quote from: dave42 on November 26, 2009, 01:20:42 PM
Go to page 12 here...
Lifetime warranty is still a feature of Martin. But listen to Martin's reply to rest your mind. Only original owners have this warranty. There is one exception, but I won't go into that.
I believe the 1976 bi-centennial D-76 Martin has a full lifetime warranty to whoever owns it.  John Fahey owned one.
Play it daily for best results.

yep
Dave

Hey,
I'm not sure where you live at, but sometimes to much moisture can be a bad thing.  It's not an overly uncommon problem and although it may cost a little bit of money it is a 26 year old guitar and a little $$$ may be spent every now and then for up keep.  Let us know how it goes and good luck.  If you are in N.C. let me know. There's a great Martin Repairman less than 30 mins from me. 
Mix
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Hopefully this is covered by Martin.If not its an easy fix and a common problem as of late as I've had 3 of these come across my bench in the last month.Richard if its not covered or you don't have a tech PM me and I let you know whats involved to fix.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks to all for the replies and ideas.  I'll post the results of this later.