Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: rpm60912 on January 02, 2009, 10:04:02 AM

I was just checking emails this morning to see if I have good news for Al "ARK" regarding short scale option. No news so far.

BTW, I hope the question we are asking JCL is : would he make the short scale option available if we get at least some minimum number of folks who would order it, e.g. 8 or 10, or whatever he wiould require?

Al

I kinda like this idea because it formally identifies the guitar by the Larrivee nomenclature (i.e. LS-03, etc). 

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Quote from: BenF on January 02, 2009, 11:11:57 AM
Nice one penner.  The numbers are fairly jumping up now.

I note that a few members are identifying what number they think they will have (e.g. #3 of 56), but surely this will be dependent on the way Larrivee label the guitars.  What I mean is if you order HOG WILD, and they lable the IS models first, the number will be higher.

I wonder what chance there is that the guitars will be labled as: -  

LS-03R FORUM III #1 of 16,
LS-03M FORUM III #1 of 23, and
LS-03MT FORUM III #1 of 12

Would anybody else be happier with this method of labeling, and would it be reasonable to ask of Larrivee?  Sounds a bit more exclusive, and these would be considered as three different models if it was a currently produced model.  Or is this somewhat misleading for the resale market?

Just a thought

Ben

The F1 and F2 runs didn't do that, they were just numbered regardless of wood type.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

But there weren't 50+ guitars...

So I could see

this happening..

Jeffrey

two more orders are in this morning, and Jim Holler has some changes I don't have. I'll be gone most of today so will update the forum list on saturday.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Would anybody else be happier with this method of labeling, and would it be reasonable to ask of Larrivee?  Sounds a bit more exclusive, and these would be considered as three different models if it was a currently produced model.  Or is this somewhat misleading for the resale market?

I really like this, actually.  To be perfectly honest, the guitar has lost a little bit of its luster for me now with 52 orders.  Not particularly unique anymore, but I'm still very much looking forward to it.   Yeah, that's probably childish, but the prospect of a guitar with only, say, 20 siblings was a cool thought.

Guess I'll have to "settle" for that Alpine spruce and SA Hog.   :bgrin:  I'll have the cutaway, too, so that's a little different. 

Regardless, Happy New Year everyone!  Thanks again to everyone who got this going so quickly and efficiently.

Adam

EDIT:  I also don't think it would be too much to ask.  We're ordering, what?  $70k worth of instruments?  I know Larrivee and Jim must both be thrilled with that number. 

Wow, over $70,000.00 in orders. Maybe Mr. Larrivee will have a change of heart and throw in a SURPRISE...
Greg

Larrivée L-05 Red Spruce Top
DeArmond M-68 Moon Blue
Fender Bullet S-2 Sunburst
Fender Telecaster Thinline
Peavey Predator

Order is in.

lefty, spruce/hog

I had been waiting for confirmation of the smaller body size and almost forgot to check the thread today.....

I also appreciate all the work done on this, and particularly the thought of sending that first email out to the entire forum.

I'm looking forward to the next special run of OO-03's, whether it's the forum IV, or V, or VI, or whatever.

John

Given the popularity and sucess of the ordering of the F3, ........it wouldn't surprise me if sometime in 2010 Jim & Jean reach out to The Forum to offer an F4.  :drool:  :nana_guitar
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 02, 2009, 12:31:52 PM
Given the popularity and sucess of the ordering of the F3, ........it wouldn't surprise me if sometime in 2010 Jim & Jean reach out to The Forum to offer an F4.  :drool:  :nana_guitar
That'd be a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

since my guitar fund won't be ready  :humour:
Jeffrey

I'm one of this morning's orders and now my heart is gladdened.
:nanadance
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

I wonder what chance there is that the guitars will be labled as: -  

Just a thought

Ben

I like this idea, if they are willing.  Speaking of "Willin", that's one of my favorite Little Feat songs, I think that will be the first one I play on the whole-hog F3.

I've been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
I'm drunk and dirty don't ya know, and I'm still...willin'

P
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

I think the problem with short scale is that at the price point quoted Larrivee is using parts they have previously designed and made.  I have seen pictures of LS style 12 fret Larrivees, all long scale, that go back to 1975.  But I think a short scale version would have to include newly designed parts, either a new neck and fretboard or changes within the box.  It may also have somewhat less projection and volume. Maybe Jean decided in 1975 that a short scale on the LS body wasn't saleable? At any rate, I can see why it is not presently being offered.   At my age (63) I no longer yearn for a new long scale.  But what is being offered sure looks like a good deal otherwise.  Jim

Quote from: ehlefttb on January 02, 2009, 01:16:34 PM
I think the problem with short scale is that at the price point quoted Larrivee is using parts they have previously designed and made.  I have seen pictures of LS style 12 fret Larrivees, all long scale, that go back to 1975.  But I think a short scale version would have to include newly designed parts, either a new neck and fretboard or changes within the box.  It may also have somewhat less projection and volume. Maybe Jean decided in 1975 that a short scale on the LS body wasn't saleable? At any rate, I can see why it is not presently being offered.   At my age (63) I no longer yearn for a new long scale.  But what is being offered sure looks like a good deal otherwise.  Jim

Quite a good post for your first one here. Makes sense, and  :welcome:

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Quote from: Broadus on January 02, 2009, 01:40:54 PM
Quite a good post for your first one here. Makes sense, and  :welcome:

Bill
:+1:

welcome to the fredliest of forums Jim
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: ehlefttb on January 02, 2009, 01:16:34 PM
I think the problem with short scale is that at the price point quoted Larrivee is using parts they have previously designed and made.  I have seen pictures of LS style 12 fret Larrivees, all long scale, that go back to 1975.  But I think a short scale version would have to include newly designed parts, either a new neck and fretboard or changes within the box.  It may also have somewhat less projection and volume. Maybe Jean decided in 1975 that a short scale on the LS body wasn't saleable? At any rate, I can see why it is not presently being offered.   At my age (63) I no longer yearn for a new long scale.  But what is being offered sure looks like a good deal otherwise.  Jim
In case you didn't see it earlier in this loooong thread, Larrivee did offer short scale with a $200 upcharge, but only if ALL the FIIIs where going to be short scale. But that was when the total order was expected to be in the 10-15 range. Now that we are over 50 FIIIs, I'm hoping that if we can get 10-15 short scale requests, JCL will be willing to do it, with the upchare, of course.  Worth asking, at least.
Al

Quote from: Cybenator on January 02, 2009, 12:27:44 PM
Wow, over $70,000.00 in orders. Maybe Mr. Larrivee will have a change of heart and throw in a SURPRISE...

That'd be great and, frankly, we deserve it.  A 60 guitar order is pretty impressive.

LS-03R  -  Fingerstyle heaven we we come!  The ordering is done.
The good wife asked me why I was hemming and hawing about ordering it.  Gotta love that loving sewing wife!   :bgrin:

Jim says we have 62 orders now.  He said that Larrivee is very surprised with every additional 10 orders coming in.

I'm really looking forward to the IS/RW combination for my fingerstyle playing.  The timing of the finished product should be close to the time I get my IRS refund.  Realize that Jim is going to set up each guitar that is shipped his way first AND add a bone saddle.  That will add more time, especially for those of us near the end of the line!

All is good.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on January 02, 2009, 03:07:05 PM
The timing of the finished product should be close to the time I get my IRS refund. 

Good point there the wise Professor.  I forgot about IRS refund money.  Hmm..this could help me justify an order.  I'm still sitting on the fence and realizing the clock is ticking fast.

If you look at the order thread...I think we are almost at 60 guitars...WOW!

:gotdonuts:

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst