Cleaning up grimey Guitars

Started by Danny, June 15, 2008, 12:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I sure would like to hear how others deal with cleaning an older guitar (usually pawnshop acquired).
I'm cleaning an old classical right now and I have a pretty dirty satin finished Seagull Grand S to clean up.
             The Seagull is especially dirty and I want to make it as nice as possible. Cedar top and wild cherry sides etc.
I was reading about this issue once and an article said to use Murphy's oil soap if you just had to use some thing other than wiping it down with a good cloth.
              I have lot's of products on hand...Martin git polish...Fender color restorer(Meguiars) Denatured alcohol,goo gone.hardwood cleaners of different types and a bunch of degreasers, soaps,mineral spirits. You name it.
              I'm thinking a little Naptha on the spots of dried pizza grease or something and Murphy's soap done lightly and wiped dry as soon as a small area is cleaned.
               What do ya all think? Danny :donut :donut2 :coffee

Automatic Car Wash

frets.com has a page on cleaning.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on June 15, 2008, 01:12:29 PM
Automatic Car Wash

frets.com has a page on cleaning.

I forgot to mention that I have a high pressure sprayer so I don't need th car wash...Good advice though. :wacko:

I should clean my guitars more often....  I suppose it depends on the type of finish.. With the typical finish on most guitars today that are essentially plastic... You can use plain water and a soft cloth - drying quickly enough to prevent possible latent moisture damage. 

With lacquer finishes I would use a light oil designed for guitars or other stringed instruments.

I would stay clear from furniture polishes - especially those that say, "Cleans and it polishes" - I suspect these polishes have an abrasive in their makeup.

Yes, frets.com has a polishes page....

06' Larrivee LV-03E
89' Fender Strat Custom Shop
85' Zion Electric
Carvin all tube vintage amps
And a lot of other junk!

The naptha should clean just about anything off the finish, use a clean rag and keep wiping and turning to a clean portion until you don't see dirt coming off anymore.
:coffee  :donut2  :donut
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on June 15, 2008, 05:09:05 PM
The naptha should clean just about anything off the finish, use a clean rag and keep wiping and turning to a clean portion until you don't see dirt coming off anymore.
:coffee  :donut2  :donut
Thanks, I have done that on a lot of finishes, but I wasn't sure about this natural looking Seagull finish.

I did go to the FRETS.COM site, That is now in my bookmark toolbar. I read a number of articles and will be going back there quite a bit,
                    I Don't think I'll break out the "pressure washer" just yet. Danny

Quote from: dependan on June 15, 2008, 05:49:46 PM
    Thanks, I have done that on a lot of finishes, but I wasn't sure about this natural looking Seagull finish.

I did go to the FRETS.COM site, That is now in my bookmark toolbar. I read a number of articles and will be going back there quite a bit,
                    I Don't think I'll break out the "pressure washer" just yet. Danny

Well if you do or if you put it through the carwash be sure to take video  :thumb

A lot of times it is just elbow grease and patience.