Main Forums => Larrivee Electric Guitars => Topic started by: 12fret on September 28, 2026, 03:01:25 PM

Title: Jazz on Baker T
Post by: 12fret on September 28, 2026, 03:01:25 PM
Anyone else doing jazz on their baker t? I am considering swapping the neck pick up for an Ellis Julian Lange but I'm afraid of spending a lot and being dissatisfied. 
Title: Re: Jazz on Baker T
Post by: mike in lytle on September 28, 2026, 05:55:26 PM
Quote from: 12fret on September 28, 2026, 03:01:25 PMI'm afraid of spending a lot and being dissatisfied. 
Why take the risk? Just leave the guitar be. Matt probably wound the pups for your guitar himself.
Mike
Title: Re: Jazz on Baker T
Post by: 12fret on September 29, 2026, 12:35:57 AM
That's a great attitude. Thanks.
Title: Re: Jazz on Baker T
Post by: StringPicker6 on September 29, 2026, 12:59:39 PM
There's an interview with Matt Larrivee on YouTube at Alamo music, and one of them he talks for a while about all the thought and effort he put into the Baker T, especially the pickups. I wouldn't change a thing if I were you.
Title: Re: Jazz on Baker T
Post by: jazzereh on September 30, 2026, 09:47:41 AM
Just curious but are the standard OE pickups Humbuckers?
Title: Re: Jazz on Baker T
Post by: B0WIE on September 30, 2026, 10:49:08 AM
I play jazz on my telecaster (inspired by Lage, Tim Lerch, and Ted Green)and I really like a Ron Ellis signature (mid/tall) in the neck. I personally wouldn't bother changing the bridge for jazz but in the neck, the Rin Ellis is incredibly dynamic and expressive, as well as smooth. His pickups tend to have this dimensional quality to them. Really next level stuff, and I say that as someone who has been pickup swapping since the 90's.

As far as stock goes, I'm sure they're great. But, telecaster style guitars are used on everything from twangy country to jazz so there's nothing wrong with wanting a pickup voiced for your style. I loved my previous pickups for indie rock but found jazz to benefit from a different pickup.

Also, a big part of jazz is using thicker strings so I'd start there if you haven't.