What are your favorite strings on your Larrivee Sitka/Mahogany OM?
I'm playing Ernie Ball Earthwood PB 12-54. They're the only strings I've had on it and they sound great, but I still like to experiment with a few strings on recent quitar acquisitions.
D'addario XS - just my personal preference. Martin used to be my go to but after their latest change (a few years ago), they just don't seem to hold up as well. I do prefer coated strings so ymmv.
John
:nice guitar:
XS strings are pretty great. I do like them on my Larrivee sitka/mahogany OM. I think my personal favorites might be SCGC medium "parabolic" strings. Like the XS's, they also last quite a long time. If you don't wanna go in for the price of those, try out a set of Curt Mangan roundcore strings. I go with phosphor bronze. Really lovely sounding strings. Just make sure you do your due diligence in NOT cutting the strings before tuning them to pitch.
But the truth is, I don't think I've put a bad set of strings on that guitar, no matter the brand. It's tough to make a really good spruce/mahogany guitar sound bad with any set of strings, IMO. Can't say the same for spruce/rosewood, which can be a little more finicky string-wise.
Let us know what works for you!
thanks - had not heard of Santa Cruz strings before - just ordered a set of light tension to try them out.
John
Quote from: John in Charm City on April 27, 2026, 07:53:37 PMthanks - had not heard of Santa Cruz strings before - just ordered a set of light tension to try them out.
John
Cool. I seem to always hear a little something extra in the treble when I use them on my Larrivee OM. I'm sure it's the bass strings influencing the high E, but I like it. Hope they work for you.
Quote from: John in Charm City on April 27, 2026, 07:53:37 PMthanks - had not heard of Santa Cruz strings before - just ordered a set of light tension to try them out.
John
They're my favorite. Funny thing is, despite being expensive, they last so long that I find them more economical than other brands. I get 5 days out of most strings. 3 weeks from DR. 3 months from Elixr. SCGCs last me at least a year. And, the best thing is there's no dramatic swing in tone. They change very little over their lifespan and then finally get a little dull around the same time the texture changes. That's important to me as I hate adapting my technique to the condition of the strings.
If you have not used round-core strings, keep in mind that the wound string behavior is different. The wounds aren't as bright as hex core, but they have a more defined fundamental that sustains longer. This can be advantageous for fingerstyle, arpeggios, etc.
Quote from: B0WIE on April 29, 2026, 08:41:46 AMThey're my favorite. Funny thing is, despite being expensive, they last so long that I find them more economical than other brands. I get 5 days out of most strings. 3 weeks from DR. 3 months from Elixr. SCGCs last me at least a year. And, the best thing is there's no dramatic swing in tone. They change very little over their lifespan and then finally get a little dull around the same time the texture changes. That's important to me as I hate adapting my technique to the condition of the strings.
If you have not used round-core strings, keep in mind that the wound string behavior is different. The wounds aren't as bright as hex core, but they have a more defined fundamental that sustains longer. This can be advantageous for fingerstyle, arpeggios, etc.
Put a set on my EIR OM and have to say - wow. You're not kidding about the wounds not being as bright as hex core. Really tames what was a bit too jingly to my ear. You're also right about the increased sustain.
Thanks for the suggestion
John
Quote from: John in Charm City on May 05, 2026, 05:59:14 PMPut a set on my EIR OM and have to say - wow. You're not kidding about the wounds not being as bright as hex core. Really tames what was a bit too jingly to my ear. You're also right about the increased sustain.
Thanks for the suggestion
John
That's great to hear. Thanks for the follow-up. I'm always curious how these things turn out for people.
II was looking at these strings on Amazon. They classify them as light or medium but give no number values for the strings in the set. Are the lights 12-53?
Quote from: William2 on May 06, 2026, 11:49:26 AMII was looking at these strings on Amazon. They classify them as light or medium but give no number values for the strings in the set. Are the lights 12-53?
I can dig up a tension chart if you need. But, essentially Light Tension is similar to a set of 12's and Medium is closer to 13's (better for dreads and lower tunings).
I use the lights for all my guitars and down tunings because they stay clear when the tension is low, even when other strings would start to sound dull or floppy.
Quote from: B0WIE on May 06, 2026, 02:03:49 PMI can dig up a tension chart if you need. But, essentially Light Tension is similar to a set of 12's and Medium is closer to 13's (better for dreads and lower tunings).
I use the lights for all my guitars and down tunings because they stay clear when the tension is low, even when other strings would start to sound dull or floppy.
Thanks, Mr. BOWIE. I'll order a set.
So just a follow up after a month with the SCGC strings. They really do sound great but...
They are noticeably stiffer than the XS lights. I found I actually prefer that extra stiffness, just makes everything feel more deliberate.
I didn't get the life others have mentioned. After a month and probably 100 hrs of playing (retirement is great!) the 1st and 2nd strings were very dead. It happened so quickly I was actually checking the frets and saddle to see if something was wrong. All of the wound strings still looked/sounded great. Keep in mind I am primarily a bare finger player so they do get plucked pretty good and are exposed to perspiration, etc. By comparison the XS used to last about 2 months or so.
While they are coated they are noisier than the XS strings by far.
So I had to swap them out today and I put the XS back on only because I didn't have a spare set of the Santa Cruz. It actually took me a bit to adjust back to the lightness of the XS 12's and the guitar does not have the same ring. So it will be back to the SCGC once I order a few more sets.
I've not tried the Mangan strings yet although I do have a set of them.
John
Congrats on your retirement, John!
Nice to hear about your positive experience with SCGC strings. They sound great on all my guitars.
Quote from: John Lee Pettimore on April 21, 2026, 07:08:51 PMWhat are your favorite strings on your Larrivee Sitka/Mahogany OM?
I'm playing Ernie Ball Earthwood PB 12-54. They're the only strings I've had on it and they sound great, but I still like to experiment with a few strings on recent quitar acquisitions.
Hi John,
I change strings often because I like the sound of fresh strings and I've experimented with many different kinds. I've found that The EB Earthbound sound really good and my preference is the 80/20 set. On a mahogany back and sides the bright shimmer of 80/20 compliments fingerstyle, especially for me as these days I seem to use a little more flesh vs nail and the tone is a little brighter to make notes stand out.
I've recently tried Elixir nano wed 80/20 and they sound good to me as well and from what I can tell seem to keep tune.
The D'adarrio 80/20 standard set are okay but I find them to be a little "crunchy" when new...if that makes any sense.
Anyone experimenting with strings owes it to himself to try out a set of Thomastik Plectrums. Yes, insanely expensive, but they are unlike any other strings I've tried. Way more mellow than traditional PB strings, and in some ways almost sound like classical strings. Who can really explain tone? Try some for sure.
Those are the strings from Austria, right? I've heard really good things about them. I may need to try them out.
I've never tried Thomastik on acoustics as they are always described as being mellow, and I generally prefer bright acoustic strings. However, I just bought some for my electrics. If anyone is looking for some lower-priced alternatives, Pyramid strings out of Germany use some similar techniques (thinner cores, hand-wound, hand-polished) and also offer pure-nickel strings. I recently tried Pyramids and was shocked that they are such good strings but only cost the same as D'Addario NYXL.
Quote from: B0WIE on August 12, 2026, 08:53:06 AMI've never tried Thomastik on acoustics as they are always described as being mellow, and I generally prefer bright acoustic strings.
I've tried, I think, all the TI offerings, and I've consistently taken the strings right off my guitars immediately. Pretty much for the reason you state: too mellow and not enough life in them. I thought I'd dig them, being a big fan of classical guitars, but they took away many of the attributes I like in a SS acoustic.
But I know people love them. I'm just not one of them.
I really love the TI wound strings. Much of the sparkle disappears but those classical-like tones replace it. I really like that sound. But for the price, the lifespan can be a bit disappointing. The strings last a long time, but that "classical" part of their sound tapers off pretty quickly, and then they just sound sort of mellow. I've had set on my guitar for about six months and they show no signs of wearing out. It's a $30 or so experiment. I definitely say try them at some point.
Quote from: Silence Dogood on August 12, 2026, 11:51:19 AMI really love the TI wound strings. Much of the sparkle disappears but those classical-like tones replace it. I really like that sound. But for the price, the lifespan can be a bit disappointing. The strings last a long time, but that "classical" part of their sound tapers off pretty quickly, and then they just sound sort of mellow. I've had set on my guitar for about six months and they show no signs of wearing out. It's a $30 or so experiment. I definitely say try them at some point.
Any chance you've tried strings that sit a little on the brighter side of TI wounds?
I'm waiting on a three pack of GHS vintage bronze strings. I was told they sit in-between phosphor bronze and silk and steel tonally. We'll see. Just experimenting...as always :bgrin:
Quote from: BlueBowman on August 12, 2026, 02:24:43 PMAny chance you've tried strings that sit a little on the brighter side of TI wounds?
I'm waiting on a three pack of GHS vintage bronze strings. I was told they sit in-between phosphor bronze and silk and steel tonally. We'll see. Just experimenting...as always :bgrin:
To my ear, the SCGC strings were similar but brighter and more like a regular PB guitar string. They feel pretty awesome too IIRC.
Quote from: Silence Dogood on August 12, 2026, 04:50:55 PMTo my ear, the SCGC strings were similar but brighter and more like a regular PB guitar string. They feel pretty awesome too IIRC.
Definitely one of my favorite string sets. I'm heavily stocked with them at the moment, but it's always fun to see what else is out there.
Quote from: BlueBowman on August 13, 2026, 11:44:01 AMDefinitely one of my favorite string sets. I'm heavily stocked with them at the moment, but it's always fun to see what else is out there.
Lately I've been using the old school SIT PB strings and they are great. Fairly cheap and basic but just a good all-around guitar string. I hardly ever see anyone talking about SIT strings but I like them a lot.
The TI's are next level strings but I find myself nerding out too much with them and getting lost in details. It is easy to get distracted from the fact that I'm playing my guitar and not using it as a means to be a string scientist.
Sometimes I remind myself that old dudes like Doc Watson probably just used whatever "strang" was around. Same with a pick, etc. Today it's all gotten too complicated, but I admit it's a fun rabbit hole to tumble down.
:wave
Quote from: Silence Dogood on August 13, 2026, 11:49:05 AMThe TI's are next level strings but I find myself nerding out too much with them and getting lost in details. It is easy to get distracted from the fact that I'm playing my guitar and not using it as a means to be a string scientist.
It's a rabbit hole, for sure. The incredible amount of info available to us combined with the incredible amount of options (guitars, strings, gadgets, etc), it's no surprise some of us lost our footing and tumbled to the bottom of the hole! But without that info, I would likely NOT be playing both the guitars and strings I currently play. I'm all the better for having them in my life.
Nerding out is fun, but I agree with you: it's best moderated. The goal is always making music. And as I just told one of my AGF friends, I might buy lot of guitars, but I make music on every single one of them. That's my justification (that, and I try not to lose too much money!). If I'm not making music, then on it goes, hopefully to someone who will play music on it.
The only nerds worth scolding are the collectors...but that's a whole other kettle of fish :winkin:
Quote from: BlueBowman on August 13, 2026, 04:49:20 PMIt's a rabbit hole, for sure. The incredible amount of info available to us combined with the incredible amount of options (guitars, strings, gadgets, etc), it's no surprise some of us lost our footing and tumbled to the bottom of the hole! But without that info, I would likely NOT be playing both the guitars and strings I currently play. I'm all the better for having them in my life.
Nerding out is fun, but I agree with you: it's best moderated. The goal is always making music. And as I just told one of my AGF friends, I might buy lot of guitars, but I make music on every single one of them. That's my justification (that, and I try not to lose too much money!). If I'm not making music, then on it goes, hopefully to someone who will play music on it.
The only nerds worth scolding are the collectors...but that's a whole other kettle of fish :winkin:
Great post. I give myself seasons where I have permission to nerd out on gear and gadgets (harmless fun as long as all the bills are being paid), and then there are seasons where it's all about the music. I have learned to just recognize it as seasons: sometimes it's all shred electric guitar; then it's acoustic instrumentals; then it's singing songs, and then sometimes it's getting out my mandolin and playing old Irish music (or "Castle Music" as my daughter calls it). Seasons! Enjoy them all!
I think it comes with all hobbies, and the internet helps. People all over the world geek out on gear for golf, tennis, playing pool, fishing, you name it. It adds color and dimension to our lives, and brings a sense of fun and excitement. The trick is to know how far is too much financially, especially when it affects your family's finances if you have people you support.
Quote from: Silence Dogood on August 13, 2026, 06:05:43 PM...playing old Irish music (or "Castle Music" as my daughter calls it).
You must've weaned her on some great movies, because I completely understand that reference. I've had the same thought about certain Irish songs!
Quote from: StringPicker6 on August 13, 2026, 07:52:07 PMI think it comes with all hobbies, and the internet helps. People all over the world geek out on gear for golf, tennis, playing pool, fishing, you name it. It adds color and dimension to our lives, and brings a sense of fun and excitement. The trick is to know how far is too much financially, especially when it affects your family's finances if you have people you support.
For anyone following the acoustic forums long enough, I know of at least two people who let the addiction ruin their finances. In both cases, these guys shared their stories online. There are surely many others.
Personally, my own uncle let GAS wreck his life years ago. Three kids and a wife, they had to downsize houses because of it (I suppose it could've been even worse than that, as they still at least had a home). They are all on better footing these days, and my uncle seems cured of his worst GAS impulses. That makes it easier for me to state that it was he who opened up the amazing world of high end acoustics for me. I'm grateful for that, even though it cost him considerably.
I see things like that as being more behavioral disorders than anything specific to guitars as the same thing happens with cars, collectibles, etc.
While I've been "collecting" guitars for about 25 years and I'm very passionate about it, if it starts going to far I get the mental equivalent of eating too much and getting an upset stomach. I think it relates to being homeless when I was 18. Ever since then, I always need to feel like I have a safety net.
As off-topic as that is, I can actually tie it back to strings because sometimes, when I get bored of an instrument, trying a new brand or type of string can be as exciting as a new instrument. In fact, giving an old friend a new voice can sometimes be even more exciting than a new guitar, for me. Two of my first guitars had the same strings for at least 20 years. I never bothered changing them as they are "cheap" instruments. I recently re-strung them and discovered just how delightfully these guitars have aged in the last 20 years. I never realized it because of the dead strings. It's really like having new instruments.
@BlueBowman: I have no idea where my daughter came up with "Castle Music" but it surely fits. I don't play pub tunes but mostly stuff like O'Carolan tunes, which sound like classical music. When she was about 6 or 7, I was playing one day and she strolls into the room with her stuffed unicorn in-hand (she's 17 and still has it!). She wasn't really paying attn to me but I guess I said, "Do you like that old Irish music?" She fired back, "Daddy, that's not Irish music, that's castle music..." and went on with her playing. As far as films go, the LOTR trilogy has been in constant rotation her whole life, and my wife constantly watches the BBC stuff. Who knows where it came from?
@BOWIE: Man, you are so right! Trying new strings (and picks) can be like getting a new guitar. And there are so many different brands of each that a person can try them all, and in ever possible combination, and still not spend the equivalent of a new guitar purchase.
As far as GAS train-wrecking someone's life, that's insane. I've never heard stories like that but I don't doubt it. I know guys who have spent themselves into oblivion on guns, motorcycles, knives, tobacco pipes, etc. It's not about the thing but as BOWIE says, it's more of a behavioral issue manifesting itself in a particular area. I know that early on in my married life, a trip to the guitar shop often meant a cold wind would be blowing through the house when I got home. I spent money we didn't really have on BS back then. And my wife would always say, "Why are going to LOOK at guitars you can't buy?" It genuinely stressed her out and it caused some issues early on. Wish I could have been wiser.
Quote from: B0WIE on August 14, 2026, 09:50:43 AMI see things like that as being more behavioral disorders than anything specific to guitars as the same thing happens with cars, collectibles, etc.
While I've been "collecting" guitars for about 25 years and I'm very passionate about it, if it starts going to far I get the mental equivalent of eating too much and getting an upset stomach. I think it relates to being homeless when I was 18. Ever since then, I always need to feel like I have a safety net.
Yes, exactly. It all comes from the same place. Moderation in most things is healthy and worth striving for. I've battled my own demons with detrimental behaviors. Shoring up our mental health is key. Sleep, diet, exercise, meditation/music, and community. Getting at least four out of five right has really kept my mental demons at bay.
------------
Silence, I was referencing period dramas that take place in the Middle Ages with castles and groups of playing minstrels. Certain songs remind me of those movies. LOTR's is definitely a good one!
And to keep from veering off into yet another thread branch, I'm gonna start a new thread on this topic.