Marketplace => For Sale => Topic started by: dragon1952 on December 15, 2009, 01:09:59 AM

Title: SOLD.....Larrivee LS-03 Forum III Italian Spruce/Mahogany w/factory LRBaggs iMix
Post by: dragon1952 on December 15, 2009, 01:09:59 AM
SOLD.....I've got a 9 month old Larrivee LS-03, all solid woods, w/ Italian Spruce top and mahogany back/sides, mahogany neck w/ebony fretboard. The guitar is mint/as new. This is one of the Forum III special builds, signed and numbered, #76 of#78 made. (There were 10 or so extra un-numbered made also).
The Forum III is a 12-fretter (12 frets to the body) with a few extras over the typical '03' build, basically the Italian spruce top option, herring bone rosette and custom 3 dot inlay marking the 12th fret. Other standard features are real maple wood binding, 1 3/4" nut width and 25.5" scale.

The LS-03 Forum III body specs are as follows:
12 frets to the body
Lower bout 15"
Waist 9 3/4"
Upper bout 11"
Depth 4"
Overall Length 40"

For reference, this is around the size of a Grand Concert body style.

I had the no-cut LRBaggs iMix pickup system installed at the factory as the guitar was being built. I also had a bone nut installed on this one by Jim Holler at Trinity Guitars, and I've added a set of bone bridge pins w/abalone inlay. I've currently got the factory Tusq saddle installed, as I think it works better, but I will include the custom bone saddle, also made by Jim Holler, and will also include all of the extras that came with the guitar....truss rod wrench, Larrivee picks (3-pack), un-installed clear and tortoise pick guards and Forum III/Trinity Guitars ball cap (unworn).
I have upgraded from the standard '03' Larrivee guitar case, so this guitar will come with the custom arched top case that comes with the higher model Larrivee's, and which offers much better protection and fit and finish. The guitar will ship in the original box/packing material.
Asking $1075 shipped and insured to anywhere in the lower 48 US states, which is much less than what I've got into it. The guitar is basically brand new, with no wear anywhere. The case has a few minor scuffs.

Action:
As best as I can tell with my little plastic ruler, the action is at just a hair above 3/32" at the 12th fret on the bass side, and just a hair over 2/32" on the treble side.
__________________
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 15, 2009, 01:11:04 AM
Pics

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 15, 2009, 01:15:31 AM
More pics...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 15, 2009, 01:16:41 AM
more pics....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 15, 2009, 01:26:42 AM
more pics...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: itself on December 15, 2009, 08:17:58 AM
Can you confirm some specs:

Nut width?
profile of neck?
Spacing at bridge
Scale length (I believe this is a 24.9?)
Ebony fretboard?
Solid woods?

Also, a hard one, but how would you describe the sound.  I don't want a bright guitar.  My Martin 000-16SGT was a sweet sounding guitar, but I didn't feel the playability was great and this is why I want a short scale.  Is this Larivee easy to play?  I really love a vintage Martin sound, Taylor guitars are just too bright for me!

I have never played a Larivee so if anyone can chime in and review this guitar, please do! Zip me an email at itselfthelma@hotmail.com.

Lisa :)
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: Mr_LV19E on December 15, 2009, 12:44:59 PM
This is not a short scale guitar, 25.5"  12fret.
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 15, 2009, 03:25:16 PM
Quote from: itself on December 15, 2009, 08:17:58 AM
Can you confirm some specs:

Nut width?
profile of neck?
Spacing at bridge
Scale length (I believe this is a 24.9?)
Ebony fretboard?
Solid woods?

Also, a hard one, but how would you describe the sound.  I don't want a bright guitar.  My Martin 000-16SGT was a sweet sounding guitar, but I didn't feel the playability was great and this is why I want a short scale.  Is this Larivee easy to play?  I really love a vintage Martin sound, Taylor guitars are just too bright for me!

I have never played a Larivee so if anyone can chime in and review this guitar, please do! Zip me an email at itselfthelma@hotmail.com.

Lisa :)

Can you confirm some specs:

Nut width? 1 3/4"
profile of neck? 'C' shape, medium width (not fat at all), 17-21" compound fretboard radius
Spacing at bridge? 2 3/16" I believe
Scale length? 25.5"
Ebony fretboard? Ebony fretboard
Solid woods? Italian spruce top/mahogany back and sides, all solid. You won't find Italian spruce very often.

I would describe the sound as very medium-ish.....neither warm nor bright.....maybe in between Martin and Taylor? Playability is subjective. I wouldn't say it was easy or hard as far as fretting is concerned. If you are an intermediate or advanced, I would think you would find it on the easy side to play. It's extremely comfortable and easy to get your hands and body around.
Here is a link to some sound clips. Larrivee sound clips (http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=5947.0) I'd skip down to the L's or OM's and find the spruce/mahogony combinations for an 'idea' of the Larrivee sound. The clips download to your computer, then you just click on the download to listen.
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: eded on December 15, 2009, 04:09:32 PM
If the short run of 00-03's weren't happening, I think this would be on it's way to me.  What a great looking box.

Ed
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dmcginnis on December 15, 2009, 05:31:02 PM
This is a great little guitar - I am selling my Martin HD-28 in another thread simply because my FIII #71 just like this has become my main guitar.  The sound is warm and balanced - my Martin by comparison is focused on the bass and trebles.  I end up noticing the midrange on the FIII a lot more.  I hope someone buys this soon and begins to enjoy a terrific guitar! :nana_guitar

Dave
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: kinnez on December 16, 2009, 01:35:14 PM
Bump, great guitar (got one) and hard to beat the price.  Good luck.
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: rising1000 on December 16, 2009, 09:04:38 PM
wish all member would minimally show where they are
just the city is fine  for pickup
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 16, 2009, 11:59:46 PM
Quote from: rising1000 on December 16, 2009, 09:04:38 PM
wish all member would minimally show where they are
just the city is fine  for pickup

I'm on the Oregon coast. Stop on by and have a beer eh? :cheers
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: Danny on December 17, 2009, 12:20:32 AM
  This is a ridiculously low price for this guitar. Too many extras and a great guitar to start with.
                          (I wish it were not priced so low myself.)

            Anyway, what a deal for the right buyer.
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 17, 2009, 12:59:15 AM
Quote from: dependan on December 17, 2009, 12:20:32 AM
 This is a ridiculously low price for this guitar. Too many extras and a great guitar to start with.
                         (I wish it were not priced so low myself.)

           Anyway, what a deal for the right buyer.

I agree Danny.......these are reselling for way too low. But buyers don't know what they are getting so it's hard to get what they are worth I guess....sorry!  :blush:
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: 01strat on December 17, 2009, 02:23:12 AM
Beautiful LS-03.  I hope it finds a good home!

How do you like your Taylor GC-4 overall?  Do you like the ovangkol tone and short scale?
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: Hogtop on December 17, 2009, 09:08:49 AM
Quote from: dragon1952 on December 17, 2009, 12:59:15 AM
I agree Danny.......these are reselling for way too low. But buyers don't know what they are getting so it's hard to get what they are worth I guess....sorry!  :blush:

I was thinking about posting my F III for sale, but at this price, ain't no way!! What a great instument!  I would rather have one of the F IVs as how the size and mahogany top would be more to my personal tastes. Hope someone jumps on this like a duck on a June bug soon. Having what I've got now is not a bad thing at all.  I might try Ebay, but I'm not going to take a beating.  the way things seem to go, I just might snag a used F IV later in 2010.
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: jhomer123 on December 17, 2009, 04:04:06 PM
Hello,

Too new to e-mail you directly. Please contact me at

jhomer@the-beach.net

concerning this beautiful guitar.

Thanks!
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: rising1000 on December 17, 2009, 10:53:11 PM
rats i wish you lived closer to great white north    Toronto, canada 
I can t drive to oregon to pick this up
good luck on your sale
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 18, 2009, 02:41:20 PM
Quote from: rising1000 on December 17, 2009, 10:53:11 PM
rats i wish you lived closer to great white north    Toronto, canada 
I can t drive to oregon to pick this up
good luck on your sale


Not even for free beer, huh. Boy, some Canadian you are  :whistling:
  :cheers
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 18, 2009, 05:32:37 PM
Quote from: 01strat on December 17, 2009, 02:23:12 AM
Beautiful LS-03.  I hope it finds a good home!

How do you like your Taylor GC-4 overall?  Do you like the ovangkol tone and short scale?

I haven't had the Taylor for very long and haven't even experimented with strings so I can't be the best judge. So far the tone is nice, but I wouldn't say it blows me away or anything. Kind of a poor man's rosewood? But without the rich overtones and sustain maybe? Like I said, I haven't changed strings and don't even know what's on it. I like the tone of my L-03R and LS-03 better, and the looks of the LS-03 are way, way better. Comfort between the GC4 and LS-03 are both comparable, but I really like the short-scale/playabilty of the GC4 which is my only reason for keeping it over the LS-03. I have fingers on the shorter/stubbier side and I don't have very good stretch, so the short-scale is nice and I don't get as tired. If I could keep them all, I would.
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 18, 2009, 05:43:35 PM
Quote from: rising1000 on December 17, 2009, 10:53:11 PM
rats i wish you lived closer to great white north    Toronto, canada 
I can t drive to oregon to pick this up
good luck on your sale


I will ship to Canada, BTW.
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: jamesb1101 on December 20, 2009, 12:11:26 PM
Is this still for sale???

-James

:nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar:
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 20, 2009, 12:43:02 PM
Quote from: jamesb1101 on December 20, 2009, 12:11:26 PM
Is this still for sale???

-James

:nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar:

Yes....still available.
Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: jamesb1101 on December 20, 2009, 02:07:56 PM
Can you email me at:

james@innovativecc.org

-James

Title: Re: LS-03 Forum III Ital. Spruce/Mahogany w/factory electronics- mint condition/rare
Post by: dragon1952 on December 23, 2009, 09:40:58 PM
Bumpity bump.....only 1 shopping day until X-Mas. Make me a reasonable offer  :guitar  Seriously, I don't think there's another guitar at this price that's as cool as this one.
Title: Re: Larrivee LS-03 Forum III Italian Spruce/Mahogany w/factory LRBaggs iMix
Post by: playstrings on December 26, 2009, 01:11:26 PM
Good Day ! Please shoot me a note at flavoursavr@hotmail.com please - this 10 post forum to send a PM is kind of a pain.

Thanks
Rick
Title: Re: Larrivee LS-03 Forum III Italian Spruce/Mahogany w/factory LRBaggs iMix
Post by: dragon1952 on December 30, 2009, 04:34:42 PM
Still available........
Title: Re: Larrivee LS-03 Forum III Italian Spruce/Mahogany w/factory LRBaggs iMix
Post by: dragon1952 on January 05, 2010, 03:48:40 PM
Bump....added some more pics.



[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Larrivee LS-03 Forum III Italian Spruce/Mahogany w/factory LRBaggs iMix
Post by: playstrings on January 05, 2010, 05:41:26 PM
Shot you an email D man !