The first batch of Forum III guitars is expected the week of March 16th. Jim Holler is looking at flights to go out that week.
We are going to offer a Forum III factory tour some day that week for anyone who wants to attend.
This thread is to discuss the factory tour and get a list of those who plan to attend.
Well I guess I am in! Let you know when I find my cheep seats.
Jim Holler
Unfortunately, I cannot pull off the trip and guitar at the same time. Damn! Unless I win the lottery of course :roll In my dreams! :crying:
In addition to no $, I just realized that is the week I move, so there is absolutely 0 chance I can come.
Awww, PLEASE can someone send me millions of photos, I don't think I can make it :humour: it's only about a million miles away.
I hope loads of you get to do this, it will make the guitar even more special.
Can we nail down the specific day-date(s) please?
I guess either Randy or Jim can book an appointment for the tour of the Vancouver Factory?
The earlier we know this, the better --- for people to book time off work/business/family.
It's also good for hunting for good deals in airfare tickets.
Warmly,
ricky --- Ah yeah! Very interested in joining --- please do NOT make it on Holy Week nor Easter weekend as either one brings my chances to ZERO.
Gosh, I wish I still lived in Campbell River...
Ricky,
Easter is in April this year. Not sure what you mean by Holy Week, so I can't comment on that. In Ontario at least, that week is the March break.
Quote from: lyric_girl on February 04, 2009, 07:00:38 PM
Ricky,
Easter is in April this year. Not sure what you mean by Holy Week, so I can't comment on that. In Ontario at least, that week is the March break.
Okay... I'm safe then.
Holy Week is traditionally the Monday-Saturday before Easter Sunday.
Thanks,
ricky
May I make a suggestion that we do it on either a Friday or a Monday? That way we can make it into into a long weekend vs. having to take a day off in the middle of the week or something. Vancouver is a beautiful city and it makes for a nice 3 day trip.
Anyone else agree?
Jordan.
Quote from: Jagadis on February 04, 2009, 08:03:59 PM
May I make a suggestion that we do it on either a Friday or a Monday? That way we can make it into into a long weekend vs. having to take a day off in the middle of the week or something. Vancouver is a beautiful city and it makes for a nice 3 day trip.
Anyone else agree?
Jordan.
Good point Jordan.
ricky
March 16th is monday! :)
Jeff,
You're not too stoked are you? :roll
Lynda,
Of course... I wish I still lived on Vancouver Island... Vancouver used to be a 2hr drive and 2hr ferry ride away...
But I am just thankful to be a part of this incredible project!
My wife and I are hoping to move back to BC in the near future(within 1-2yr); it depends on how soon we get pregnant.... :)
anyhow.. back on topic... I hope ya'll have a great trip!
I'm very interested! Firm up the dates, and I'll see what the travel options/costs are - I think I'd prefer it on a Friday, so we would have the weekend afterward to play, but I'll bow to the group.
Does this mean we have a time schedule on completion and shipping?
Tad
This is a definative possibility for me :+1: pending the finalization of the dates!
~ Ray ~
Two questions......
Can I go even if I didn't order a forum III?
How long does it take to get a passport??
Honest, I was telling my wife just last week "I'd love to tour the Larrivee facility"
What a great idea!!!!!
Quote from: Larrivee4me on February 04, 2009, 09:55:06 PM
Two questions......
Can I go even if I didn't order a forum III?
How long does it take to get a passport??
Honest, I was telling my wife just last week "I'd love to tour the Larrivee facility"
What a great idea!!!!!
Don't know where you're located, but look on your government web site. You can usually pay more to get it expedited, but I still think you're looking at at least 3-4 weeks.
I'll add in my request for tons of big pictures. I'm trying to contain my jealousy, I have bought too much gear lately
I didn't get on board the fIII train but i do live in Vancouver... would love to meet up with all of you!
party crasher?
;-)
d.
Quote from: dermot on February 05, 2009, 12:15:09 AM
I didn't get on board the fIII train but i do live in Vancouver... would love to meet up with all of you!
party crasher?
used to live there too until 2004 when I moved to Deadmonton. But when I used to live in Vancouver, I never paid attention to acoustic guitars. oh well.
it would be neat to meet Forumites who are fortunate enough to live in the same city where our gits are made.
ricky
Ok, have thought long and hard about this. If you guys pick any other date than Friday, March 20, I should be able to swing this. Of course, this means that my tax return has to be in and the return here so I can pay off my cc. :cheers
I'd go, but unfortunately I'll be on the west coast of Florida watching some baseball. Have fun, and yes - piix would be great, please!
Quote from: Larrivee4me on February 04, 2009, 09:55:06 PM
Two questions......
Can I go even if I didn't order a forum III?
How long does it take to get a passport??
Honest, I was telling my wife just last week "I'd love to tour the Larrivee facility"
What a great idea!!!!!
You better apply for a passport right away. Plan on 4 weeks or so as Lyric_girl said.
I've got a passport....just no spare cash unfortunately. Say hello to my guitar while you're there.
Tuffythepug
I'm officially off the hook for this trip. This is school spring break week for my wife AND our daughter is flying down from Princeton for a visit. If you asked me to name two things I love more than music and guitars I just did.
Please do take a good group picture and say a big THANK YOU to the builders while you are there.
Norman
Count me in!
I live in Seattle, and can drive anyone up as well who would like to fly into Seattle. Bring a passport.
Sounds Great, thanks for arranging it. I will keep my eye open for the exact dates...but Mondays sound great to me! :thumbsup
The boy and three dogs will keep me tethered here. Well, that and if I showed up you'd find out I'm really a fifty year old guy with a beard.
holly
Quote from: strawintogold on February 05, 2009, 01:03:13 PM
... Well, that and if I showed up you'd find out I'm really a fifty year old guy with a beard.
holly
Well, quoting Joe E. Brown in Some Like It Hot, "no one's perfect."
Norman
Holly :roll :roll :roll
Quote from: strawintogold on February 05, 2009, 01:03:13 PM
The boy and three dogs will keep me tethered here. Well, that and if I showed up you'd find out I'm really a fifty year old guy with a beard.
holly
Or worse, a woman of any age with a beard
I'm in.
I'm not going but I have a passport...so if anybody needs to borrow one just shoot me a PM...
:rolleye:
Quote from: Dotneck on February 05, 2009, 05:25:58 PM
I'm not going but I have a passport...so if anybody needs to borrow one just shoot me a PM...
:rolleye:
Can I use it? I've been meaning to get some explosives across the border.
Quote from: LaminateBoy on February 05, 2009, 02:21:27 PM
Or worse, a woman of any age with a beard
LOL. Hey, nothing like a sideshow to fund a guitar.
holly
Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 05, 2009, 06:24:05 PM
Can I use it? I've been meaning to get some explosives across the border.
Ah, the Canadian Midnight Express. Gives a whole new meaning to the word Mounty.
holly
That's Mountie! :?
I'm in. I live only about 45 minutes from the factory, and getting the time off work is super easy. Can't wait. :thumbsup
Group. I know I am driving you folks nuts not pinning down the date yet. I will try to get this done as soon as I can. I am hoping to get flights on the 13th to visit my daughter in Washington State for the weekend and drive up to BC Sunday evening for the visit Monday. Shemay join us for the visit. Now you all must know that I am 50% Irish and that March 17th is a special day for us Irish people. There will need to be some green beer. :cheers
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 05, 2009, 08:12:47 PM
Now you all must know that I am 50% Irish and that March 17th is a special day for us Irish people. There will need to be some green beer. :cheers
Sounds like you only need half of the beer to be green.
:roll
(off topic) my grand dad was scottish. died when I was about five. His birthday was the 17th of March. He used to wear an orange tie and go out drinking on his birthday and end up in fights with the irsihmen. I still have childhood memories of having to get out of bed in the middle of the night and go out with my mom to go pick him up outside some neighborhood bar.
I gave up green beer a long time ago. I still love to drink beer...I just leave the green stuff alone.
Have fun in Vancouver.....
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 05, 2009, 08:12:47 PM
Group. I know I am driving you folks nuts not pinning down the date yet. I will try to get this done as soon as I can. I am hoping to get flights on the 13th to visit my daughter in Washington State for the weekend and drive up to BC Sunday evening for the visit Monday. Shemay join us for the visit. Now you all must know that I am 50% Irish and that March 17th is a special day for us Irish people. There will need to be some green beer. :cheers
Aye.....perfectly understandable lad!! :cheers
Quote from: Dotneck on February 05, 2009, 09:37:47 PM
Sounds like you only need half of the beer to be green.
:Have fun in Vancouver.....
Ahhh But on that day I am 100% Irish. Lad keep your hands off the glass if you know what is good for you.
Jim,
Is Monday March 16 the official date of the Factory Tour?
Is this our go-ahead to book our flights?
Where is our meeting place?
I have a pretty good idea how to get around the city... so I'll volunteer as guide... though I'm sure most can manage with a GPS.
Warmly,
ricky
PS - Norman, are you coming? Would be cool if we can hang out together and be billeted by local friends.
Ricky,
I've had to bail due to schedule conflicts. That is the week of school spring break AND the week my daughter is flying down from Princeton for a visit. No confusion on priorities for me.
Have a great time and take lots of group pictures!
Norman
I never knew that the larrivee factory was in East Van until I joined the facebook group today. I've driven that road a thousand times and never ever noticed anything.....!!
I am pretty sure ya'll will have a great time.
Vancouver is one of the most beautiful places to live!
OK group. Sorry for the wait I got my flights $ 254 round trip not bad. The Larrivee Forum III Day is March 16. I am looking forward to meeting some you and picken some tunes!
Jim Holler
Quote from: GeeNorm on February 06, 2009, 05:08:27 PM
I've had to bail due to schedule conflicts. That is the week of school spring break AND the week my daughter is flying down from Princeton for a visit. No confusion on priorities for me.
Enjoy your time with your daughter.
Looks like I need to start making plans too - Jim H already declared March 16 as the Day of the Factory Tour. It's a Monday... I hope I can get cheap flights;
if I can't fly in a jet, I'll have to drive the Jetta... show my OO-09 hopefully to Jim & whoever else from the Forum will be there.
ricky - we'll miss you bro!
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 06, 2009, 07:05:12 PM
OK group. Sorry for the wait I got my flights $ 254 round trip not bad. The Larrivee Forum III Day is March 16. I am looking forward to meeting some you and picken some tunes!
Jim Holler
That is a very good deal you got there Jim.
My wife and I looked into getting some tickets to Vancouver from Winnipeg..
and the best we could find was 410 per person... :S
OK, I've decided that you guys are gonna be the death of me. First the forum git and now the factory tour. I want to go SO bad and the boss even says I can. UGGGHHHHHHHH :?
So, since I'm thinking about this...imagine that, where are folks planning on staying. Does anybody want to share a suite or something? Let me know.
It must be nice to afford the trip. Wish I could do it. I'm the only income @ the moment, so I lose out to meet people with names & faces ! I'm envious ! Have fun to all who are going. :crying:
Jeff :guitar
Jeff,
Never said I could afford it.
My mistake. I guess it's kinda a reality check for all. :smile:
Jeff :guitar
Does anybody know, Larrivee does the factory tour on request through out the year..?
Quote from: es-335 on February 06, 2009, 08:46:55 PM
Does anybody know, Larrivee does the factory tour on request through out the year..?
I planned a trip north (from Northern California) around a tour. Don't quote me, but I believe they were then (about four or five years ago) offering tours on Tuesday at 1:00. Lasted about an hour. It was wonderful. two players and two slightly bored, but accommodating wives. One was from Japan and spoke little but took a hundred pictures. It was very cool, since the "guitar thing" proved to be a common language. Funky place putting out serious guitars (as we well know). Friendly people willing to show their stuff. I'd like to do it again.
So what is the possibility of picking up my F3 at the same time as the tour?? How cool would that be? There seem to be a couple of LH spruce/ rosewood under construction. Maybe one of them has my name on it.
Sorry folks, I never did realize there are already 3 pages to this thread. I don't even remember reading page 1.
So Danny (dependan) is in. Looks like Lynda is in the process of deciding.
I guess I'm not officially in until I actually have the airline tickets - as I don't want to take the chances of the 12-hour road trip in case there's snow in the mountains.
For now, I'm planning on going. I'm in.
The cheapest tickets I checked last week is 380 CDN round trip - that's what? 100 USD :whistling:
Seriously, it's cheaper for Jim H to fly all the way from New York to Seattle round trip than for me to fly to a next door province?
Really, our American friends have it sooooo good !!! (Okay... here goes the Canucks {not the hockey team Jeff} ranting again!!!)
ricky
Ricky,
$380 and you're next door! You're joking, right? Best I can do is $440 and I'm 3,500 km away from you. Check Westjet if you haven't already.
As for me, I really want to be in, but think I need to wait for a bit before biting the bullet. Will definitely let you guys know as soon as I know. :cheers
Just looked at Westjet and you can get all in $287. :smile:
Remember the Festival Express train?
I do under stand how you(lynda, ricky and fellow canucks) feel. I got a quote for $450 to fly to vancouver....
It is very ridiculous!!!
It's the same down here. If we were having it in OH, we'd be in the same boat, plane, whatever. What about trains or carpooling?
holly
I'm looking at Amtrak to Seattle - always wanted to take a trip on the Coast Starlight - This may be the chance -
Tad
Quote from: tadol on February 07, 2009, 11:03:56 PM
I'm looking at Amtrak to Seattle - always wanted to take a trip on the Coast Starlight - This may be the chance -
Tad
That sounds interesting. I love to travel by rail. It's not fast but it's very pleasant and leisurely.
Where would you be leaving from ? You're in the bay area arent' you ? Would you rent a car to drive from Seattle then ? I may look into that myself.
Tuffythepug
I've read horror stories about people traveling by Amtrack...although it sounds like a fun, romantic way to travel. I've got an Amtrack station about a mile from my house...I wonder how long it would take to get to the NW...I bet a week at least...
I've always wanted to take that sight seeing train from Calgary to the Coast, over the Mountains, or really through the mountains. It runs along the rivers and you get to see the mountains like you never could any other way. Except a 6 month hiking expedition. My wife would love that too, but that's a bit too much to plan so quickly.
Trains can be a bit magical sometimes. And like a nightmare at others.
What time is the tour...Im in Vegas from Thursday to the Monday...Arrving in Vancouver international around noon on Monday then flying to the Interior of BC later in the day...I dont think its going to work for me...Imagine if I could squeeze the tour in...wow
psp
Quote from: Dotneck on February 08, 2009, 12:12:09 AM
I've read horror stories about people traveling by Amtrack...although it sounds like a fun, romantic way to travel. I've got an Amtrack station about a mile from my house...I wonder how long it would take to get to the NW...I bet a week at least...
I've had pleasant trips every time but you just have to be willing to live with un-expected delays. Since Amtak shares the tracks with freight trains it's possible that a disabled freight can disrupt the schedule up and down the line. If you have somewhere you have to be at a certain time it can be a disaster. Otherwise, it's a great way to see the beauty of the region you're traveling through that you can never appreciate traveling by air or car.
Tuffythepug
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 07, 2009, 11:19:24 PM
That sounds interesting. I love to travel by rail. It's not fast but it's very pleasant and leisurely.
Where would you be leaving from ? You're in the bay area arent' you ? Would you rent a car to drive from Seattle then ? I may look into that myself.
Tuffythepug
Lynn,
Does this mean that you might be there? :smile:
Quote from: lyric_girl on February 08, 2009, 08:55:05 AM
Lynn,
Does this mean that you might be there? :smile:
You never know .... After checking the schedule and fares I don't think I'll travel by rail though. It is 24hrs each way by Amtrak. I'm not up for that. Checking air fares now. We'll see.
T
I'm checking prices and dates as we type here. I need to coordinate a little with some of y'all. I can fly into Seattle or Vancouver. But Seattle is less bucks and if some of us link up to ride up to Vancouver together and back then it would be good to have some time together on the road.
I know folks in both cities that I can stay with, but I'm also open to getting a suite and sharing costs. Like a large 2 bedroom 2 bath with the extra sleeping sofas etc. They have kitchens and most of what you need to cook etc.
Anyway, I just need to know what dates some will arrive and where so I can figure out what to do.
If I don't hear from y'all soon I may just fly in Friday or Sat. and fly out on Tuesday from Seattle. That way it leaves me open to assist others in picking you up in Seattle etc. Just trying to nail down a few details.
E-mail me if you like dependan@gmail.com Danny
Just curious, what is the drive time from Seattle to Vancouver?
Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 08, 2009, 04:33:06 PM
Just curious, what is the drive time from Seattle to Vancouver?
I think it's 4 hours or so, I did it about 7 years ago. Are you going Roger?
It takes about 2hr 30min. to drive..
But then you gotta factor in the traffic and border crossing...
so roughly 3 hrs??
Quote from: es-335 on February 08, 2009, 04:39:53 PM
It takes about 2hr 30min. to drive..
But then you gotta factor in the traffic and border crossing...
so roughly 3 hrs??
And which side of Seattle you start from and which end of Vancouver you are going to.
Quote from: dependan on February 08, 2009, 04:36:22 PM
I think it's 4 hours or so, I did it about 7 years ago. Are you going Roger?
Danny, I would love to go but it's still too early to have any idea yet. How long do you think it would take to drive from Michigan?
It's kind of expensive to fly for such a short time, I would probably prefer to incorporate it in to a cross country road trip.
Besides, I don't have a passport so I would have to see if I could get one in time. Probably not.
Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 08, 2009, 06:27:52 PM
Danny, I would love to go but it's still too early to have any idea yet. How long do you think it would take to drive from Michigan?
It's kind of expensive to fly for such a short time, I would probably prefer to incorporate it in to a cross country road trip.
Besides, I don't have a passport so I would have to see if I could get one in time. Probably not.
Just a guess, but maybe 20 hours of straight driving. That passport deal may not affect you in Michigan, being a border state, but I'm not sure. When we would drive over from Detroit we never needed one. But it's been awhile since I went across.
Quote from: dependan on February 08, 2009, 06:32:16 PM
Just a guess, but maybe 20 hours of straight driving. That passport deal may not affect you in Michigan, being a border state, but I'm not sure. When we would drive over from Detroit we never needed one. But it's been awhile since I went across.
I figured more like 40hrs. I'll have to mapquest it.
After 911 you either needed a Passport or birth certificate, but I think it was last year they changed that to Passport only. It may have been longer than that but I know I used B/C before but haven't been in over seven years.
Ok guys, I tried to find the information on the Canadian government website but could not. Maybe you can get the info off your government website. I know for Canadians flying into the US we need passports.
I am still undecided, but if I'm coming, I will be flying Friday night or Saturday morning and flying home on Tuesday morning. I would love to share a suite; however, if that doesn't work, I will get a hotel on Hotwire.
Quote from: dependan on February 08, 2009, 04:59:46 PM
And which side of Seattle you start from and which end of Vancouver you are going to.
that would be driving from Burnaby BC. to Bellevue WA.
I lived in Burnaby for 6 months... and have made that trip a few times.. and I do not remember taking 4 hrs.
(of course, I'd check the border crossing waiting time before I leave the house)
to see if you need a passport to go into canada, it'd be the fastest to ask the border crossing agency.
but according to this page, US citizens don't need a passport
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html#P003
QuoteArriving in Canada
Our border services officers are at the ports of entry to ensure that people entering Canada respect Canadian laws. They are authorized to examine people and goods entering Canada to determine their admissibility. Their goal is to facilitate the entry of legitimate travellers and goods as quickly as possible.
When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, when necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your permanent resident card (i.e. green card) with you. For more information on admissibility into Canada, read the fact sheet called Managing Access to Canada. It is available on our Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca.
That's some good info. Jeff. I guess if someone came fro the U.S. without one they better call first and make sure that things haven't been changed recently.
A passport is required for crossing US / Canadian borders by air. If crossing by land or sea, proper photo ID (drivers license), and proof of citizenship (birth certificate) is required. The land/sea rules change in June 2009 when passports will be required. Here's the official info...
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
Wow!!!!! Flying to Seattle from Columbus, Ohio is half the cost of flying directly to Vancouver. I'd be interested in meeting up with others in Seattle then driving to Vancouver for the tour. I'm thinking fly in on Saturday and fly back to Ohio on Tuesday morning. If anyone would like to try and coordinate to share expenses let me know. Any suggestions for lodging would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Mark
As much as I would love to see Seattle, it's gonna cost me far more to fly there.
Quote from: lyric_girl on February 08, 2009, 09:48:00 PM
As much as I would love to see Seattle, it's gonna cost me far more to fly there.
That would not make sense for you Linda. And my costs have gone up since earlier today, so I may fly straight into Vancouver now. It's a little hard to arrange this stuff quickly, but I think it will turn out all right.
Danny
If i can do anything for anyone, just ask... I'm at home in Vancouver for the next few weeks
d.
dermot.shane AT gmail DOT com
I Live in Lynnwood, WA (just north of Seattle) and I am planning on going. Folks could stay at our home if they like (we have two extra rooms at least!)
I am planning on driving up the morning of.
PM or email if you are interested.
Matt
For those coming to Seattle en route to Vancouver, consider taking the Amtrak. Beautiful and relaxing ride to BC and not that far from the factory when you arrive at the depot. I think there are a couple bus options to the Larrivee factory, but those in the know should chime in here.
I would love to come but my teaching and Spring soccer coaching duties will make it about impossible during that time. Last summer my family had a nice stay in Vancouver.
I'm wondering if we should start a list of people who are going?
1. Jim H
2. Danny
3. ricky
Others please add your name here.
Would it be better to have a locked thread with a name list for Factory Tour? Randy and others, what do you think?
This way, we can tell who's all going at one glance.
ricky
Quote from: rpm60912 on February 09, 2009, 05:01:47 AM
I'm wondering if we should start a list of people who are going?
1. Jim H
2. Danny
3. ricky
Others please add your name here.
Would it be better to have a locked thread with a name list for Factory Tour? Randy and others, what do you think?
This way, we can tell who's all going at one glance.
ricky
I think this post should be copied and put back on top of this thread by anyone planning on attending.
Quote from: rpm60912 on February 09, 2009, 05:01:47 AM
I'm wondering if we should start a list of people who are going?
1. Jim H
2. Danny
3. ricky
4. Dermot
Well - I am definitely flying into Seattle - its less than half the cost of flying into Vancouver. I would love to take the train from Seattle to Vancouver, and the Amtrak site shows a train route, but only offers bus service. I do not want to take an Amtrak bus -
So I would like to coordinate with anyone else in Seattle to get up to Vancouver. I can probably stay with an uncle in Bellingham, but am open to other options. We could rent a car, or ?
I would probably want to fly in on Saturday or Sunday, and then fly back out on Tuesday. But if we can find inexpensive hotel rooms, I may take an extra day in Vancouver to see the city, and check out a few music stores -
If this works with anyone else, PM or email me and we can work out details -
Tad
Quote from: tadol on February 09, 2009, 12:39:41 PM
Well - I am definitely flying into Seattle - its less than half the cost of flying into Vancouver. I would love to take the train from Seattle to Vancouver, and the Amtrak site shows a train route, but only offers bus service. I do not want to take an Amtrak bus -
So I would like to coordinate with anyone else in Seattle to get up to Vancouver. I can probably stay with an uncle in Bellingham, but am open to other options. We could rent a car, or ?
I would probably want to fly in on Saturday or Sunday, and then fly back out on Tuesday. But if we can find inexpensive hotel rooms, I may take an extra day in Vancouver to see the city, and check out a few music stores -
If this works with anyone else, PM or email me and we can work out details - Tad
Interesting, I thought the Seattle to Vancouver train was year 'round. Are you sure you checked all the options on the Amtrak schedule? I agree that an Amtrak bus is not a preferred option.
The Amtrak TRAIN leaves Seattle at 7:40AM March 16 and arrives in Vancouver at 11:35AM. The other trips that day are on Amtrak BUS.
Both end up at the train/bus depot.
If you plan to rent a car in Washington State make sure you ask about the taxes. The last time I rented about 8 years ago there was a 27% sales tax. Huge! I was not pleased that the rental company had not told me about this ahead of time as I could have made different plans for the ground transportation.
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 09, 2009, 03:07:23 PM
If you plan to rent a car in Washington State make sure you ask about the taxes. The last time I rented about 8 years ago there was a 27% sales tax. Huge! I was not pleased that the rental company had not told me about this ahead of time as I could have made different plans for the ground transportation.
Yeah, welcome to the land of "Queen Christine" (Gregoire, gov). With the dems in control of the state house and senate, everyone gets to help the budget in more ways than ever. Oops, sorry for the politics.
BIG advantage in catching the train is the no-hassle ease of crossing the border and getting through customs. I recommend it.
Quote from: dermot on February 09, 2009, 12:36:50 PM
1. Jim H
2. Danny
3. ricky
4. Dermot
johnny37 (John) I'm definitely in. Maybe mine will be ready then? I can only hope.
Do we know what time the tour starts and ends on the 16th? I dont know yet if I can go but I'm hoping to swing it.
1. Jim H
2. Danny
3. Ricky
4. Dermot
5. John
6. Lynda
I have a rough idea how I'm gonna make this fly (no pun intended), but not totally sure right now.
Quote from: dependan on February 10, 2009, 11:15:14 AM
I know what it feels like to be a travel agent now. I have tried so many angles to make the connections and price be something that works best for the group going (which is larger than the list I believe) and for me.
My wife tells me to take more time and visit folks we know in Seattle and Vancouver, but the flites would put me there on Friday and I would leave on Tuesday, from Seattle. The cost is about the same for that flite as just flying in to Vancouver.
So I don't know what I will end up doing. It's becoming so frustrating that I just give up and then check back again the next time and prices are higher and less flites available.
Anyway, I'll keep trying to work it out.
Dan,
Not sure about there, but the 16th is during March Break and therefore for me, I'm paying more. That may also be translating to you, not sure. I would like to fly on the Friday night, but that's March break hell here so the airport is gonna be bananas. I also have the choice of only two airlines that fly Toronto-Vancouver, so I'm really limited. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.
Yes, if it were any other week in March it would cost less.
Hey Danny -
Its not booked yet - but I have decided I am going to be there, and am trying to convince my wife to come along as well.
But after dragging her to a few hardware conventions, well, lets just say we have agreed to disagree on our concepts of "Fun".
I still think this one really will be fun, even for her - :winkin:
Tad
Quote from: tadol on February 10, 2009, 08:24:23 PM
Hey Danny -
Its not booked yet - but I have decided I am going to be there, and am trying to convince my wife to come along as well.
But after dragging her to a few hardware conventions, well, lets just say we have agreed to disagree on our concepts of "Fun".
I still think this one really will be fun, even for her - :winkin:
Tad
I tried to link a flite thru your area, but the times wouldn't click. I'm in a bit of a "stall" now.
Please add my name to the list of those going on the Larrivee factory tour. I live 4 hours away by car so it's a very easy proposition. It will be great the see the guitar making process at Larrivee and meet other Forum members who are purchasing these special guitars. Michael Killick
OMG! I just found out that school is closed March 16! It's called the Koska Holiday in honor of Jesuit Stanislaus Koska.
So, I'm going to check out Amtrak and see if I can book a relaxing train ride to BC and back.
BIG QUESTION: What is the approximate start and end time of the tour on that day? Thanks.
Somebody on the Forum thats going needs to take the role of coordinator.... volunteers?
I don't think there has been a time set yet.
Quote from: Randy_R on February 11, 2009, 06:57:09 PM
Somebody on the Forum thats going needs to take the role of coordinator.... volunteers?
Randy That would be me. OK? I have been trying to find time to call John Jr this week to set up a plan for the day. I will attempt to get this done tomorrow and post that here.
Jim Holler
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 11, 2009, 07:23:38 PM
Randy That would be me. OK? I have been trying to find time to call John Jr this week to set up a plan for the day. I will attempt to get this done tomorrow and post that here.
Jim Holler
Other good info might be nearby hotels/motels in Vancouver. If a group is going to fly into Seattle and carpool/amtrak/bus up, some one to organize that, and maybe a motel in seattle, although I think one member offered up couches to sleep on?. It appears that by going via land that a passport insn't required, where-as if you fly you must now have a passport.
I have to confess I am still not booked on a flite and I get frustrated each time I try to work it out. I had just about thrown in the towel, but I am going to keep trying.
Also in case anyone noticed, I deleted a few of my posts to tidy this up a little. Danny
Folks coming driving from SeaTac Airport... when you go north towards the Canadian border, you will likely end up
lining up in the "Peace Arch" border crossing.
Keep in mind, really really long lineups are caused by the cross-border shopping activity esp. among Canucks/tourists returning home
from shopping towards or at closing business hours.
TIP: The radio station with traffic updates every 10 minutes is AM 1130 "all news radio."
=== they give updates on wait times on all border crossings - north & south bound.
I hope you'll find this handy. Danny, I sure hope you can book a flight already.
ricky
AMTRAK AMTRAK AMTRAK
Leaves Seattle at 7:40AM - $30
Leaves Vancouver at 5:45PM - $30
No border delays, except for the occasional freight train... but you can't beat the view.
prof_stack
I'm curious where you got your info. When I checked into the AMTRAK run from Sacramento to Vancouver it showed a train from Sac to Seattle and then via bus to Van. Didn't sound attractive to me. Also, it appears that the total time from Sac to Van was 24hrs. So I would spend two full days just going and coming home. That killed it for me. However, air travel to Seattle and then AMTRAK to Van, if it is indeed by rail, would be more attractvie.
Doesn't look like I'll be able to swing this but I'm not giving up totally just yet.
Tuffythepug
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 12, 2009, 10:46:24 AM
prof_stack
I'm curious where you got your info. When I checked into the AMTRAK run from Sacramento to Vancouver it showed a train from Sac to Seattle and then via bus to Van. Didn't sound attractive to me. Also, it appears that the total time from Sac to Van was 24hrs. So I would spend two full days just going and coming home. That killed it for me. However, air travel to Seattle and then AMTRAK to Van, if it is indeed by rail, would be more attractvie.
Doesn't look like I'll be able to swing this but I'm not giving up totally just yet. Tuffythepug
AMTRAK runs the train ONCE per day from Seattle to Vancouver, leaving Seattle at 7:40. The rest of the runs are by bus.
That same train returns leaving Vancouver at 5PM or so arriving back in Starbuck$ land at 10PM or so.
Quote from: prof_stack on February 12, 2009, 11:51:54 AM
AMTRAK runs the train ONCE per day from Seattle to Vancouver, leaving Seattle at 7:40. The rest of the runs are by bus.
That same train returns leaving Vancouver at 5PM or so arriving back in Starbuck$ land at 10PM or so.
Thanks for this specific information. It is one more tool for us who are trying to schedule this. The times stated would conflict for most of the flites I have been able to see, but I like the Idea of a Train Ride through some nice countryside.
Quote from: dependan on February 12, 2009, 11:56:01 AM
, but I like the Idea of a Train Ride through some nice countryside.
And the idea of a jam session in the bar-car doesn't sound half-bad. :roll
I don't know but it sure sounds like Tuffy will be making the trip.
Maybe you need another magical trip to Vegas to help fund this whole endeavor. It worked the last time. :bgrin:
Hey - I just saw this thread, having tuned out for awhile after the original forum thread got really silly.
I'll be there for the tour - the factory is VERY close to my home in East Van.
Will be happy to act as a guide, etc, answer any questions about what to do - or not to do - in Vancouver.
Cheers, Mike :nana_guitar
PS to Jim - how about bringing along a bone saddle? Oh wait, my all Hog might not be ready yet...
Mike - thats a great offer.
But my wife will be coming along, and shes very good at telling me what not to do - I just need to learn to listen better-
Tad
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 12, 2009, 12:13:55 PM
And the idea of a jam session in the bar-car doesn't sound half-bad. :roll
Did " Box Car Willy " sign up for a forum guitar? Are one of you guys him? What is your real name Box Car? Come out in the open. He might be ride'n on the City of New Orleans and jami'n with Steve Goodman.
Jim
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 13, 2009, 08:08:13 AM
Did " Box Car Willy " sign up for a forum guitar? Are one of you guys him? What is your real name Box Car? Come out in the open. He might be ride'n on the City of New Orleans and jami'n with Steve Goodman.
Jim
Jim
Big difference between "Bar-car" and "Box-car" :roll
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 13, 2009, 12:35:24 PM
Jim
Big difference between "Bar-car" and "Box-car" :roll
But you are a "GranPa Folk/Rock Hobo train hoppin happy"kinda Giutar player.
Are you still planning on going? I am working on flites again this morning.
news from Jim Holler:
I just spoke to John Jr Larrivee. He will be emailing some info to me about hotels and a place for us to grab some lunch. I will be staying with him and will be at the Larrivee shop in the morning when he heads there. I think a plan to gather at 10 Am for a meet and greet. see some of the forum guitars and then grab lunch. After lunch go on the tour of the shop.
Excellent news Randy. As I have never been there and have no idea of the lay of the land, I need someone's help in figuring out where I'm gonna stay.
10AM start means for all practical purposes that we need to be in town overnight. So lodging options are next up.
Sounds like a good plan.
Quote from: prof_stack on February 13, 2009, 06:02:33 PM
10AM start means for all practical purposes that we need to be in town overnight. So lodging options are next up.
Sounds like a good plan.
DOES THIS MEAN THE TRAIN ARRIVES LATER. Sorry I hit the cap locks. I finaly booked a flite and I wanted to try that train ride from Seattle. I'm coming in Weds. evening so I'll have time to do the train ride and meet lots of folks and do some cool things. I may even bring my 00 because SouthWest Airlines is people and guitar friendly.
So look out....here I come. Danny
SO happy that you're going Danny.
The AMTRAK train (and not bus) arrives around 11:45 and then there's Canadian customs to clear, which usually doesn't take long. So, arriving Sunday the 15th (or earlier) makes more sense.
Quote from: prof_stack on February 13, 2009, 06:32:56 PM
The AMTRAK train (and not bus) arrives around 11:45 and then there's Canadian customs to clear, which usually doesn't take long. So, arriving Sunday the 15th (or earlier) makes more sense.
Gotcha, So now I need to figure out where to rent a car. Probably in Canada.
Just curious, just who all is going to be in Vancouver before Monday. I'm planning on flying in on Saturday morning and would love to meet as many of you in advance of Monday morning.
If I still lived in Langley(45min from downtown Vancity)...
I'd invite all of you to stay at my place.... So... next time we do the forum guitar again.. Let's make sure I live near by.... :humour:
Group, The 10 AM is just an informal gathering time as a starting point. It can be adjusted. Lets try to find out details of arrival times and if need be we can move the time. It is going to be laid back and informal so it is OK if people arrive at different times. Is there a time for the train? I am hoping we can find a place for the evening and have an open mic./ jam! Who is in for that? :nana_guitar
Jim Holler
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 13, 2009, 07:30:12 PM
Group, The 10 AM is just an informal gathering time as a starting point. It can be adjusted. Lets try to find out details of arrival times and if need be we can move the time. It is going to be laid back and informal so it is OK if people arrive at different times. Is there a time for the train? I am hoping we can find a place for the evening and have an open mic./ jam! Who is in for that? :nana_guitar
Jim Holler
Jim,
Wanted to say that you're the greatest for organizing all of this. As for the jam, as long as I can listen to you guys, I'll be there, but don't expect me to participate. :cheers
Ok folks, I'm in. Just booked my flights and it cost me about $100 more than it should have a couple of days ago. I'm in Vancouver from Friday night and fly home at 12:00 on March 17. Would love to connect with others during the weekend. Let me know.
This is gonna be a blast. I am SO stoked. :roll
Ugh. I just found out I'll be in Cincinnati on business for this. :crying:
Great job Jim !!! Thanks for organizing this. What was a nice thought/dream is becoming a reality.
This is my first and only Forum (and my experience has been so positive) - I can't believe I get to see my Forum family.
Wooohoooo !!! But first, I got figure out whether I fly in a jet or drive the lil jetta (in which case, I may just have room for my OO).
But first, I must either book a flight... or take a Sunday off if we're driving.
If I can't bring any git for this trip, I wonder if the Factory sells some nice gits at staff discount price? Wouldn't that be sweet? :nana_guitar
Down boy, down!
ricky
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 13, 2009, 07:30:12 PM
I am hoping we can find a place for the evening and have an open mic./ jam! Who is in for that? :nana_guitar
Jim Holler
Did anyone mention "jam"? Ok... I'll bring the peanut butter.
For the fun of it... why not?
ricky
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 13, 2009, 12:35:24 PM
Jim
Big difference between "Bar-car" and "Box-car" :roll
So there is. All this talk about trains got me going. Still would be cool to play in a moving box car.
Quote from: limnephilidae on February 14, 2009, 02:36:14 AM
Ugh. I just found out I'll be in Cincinnati on business for this. :crying:
Don't cry...I'll be in Raleigh on business....same as every other day!
I'm not getting to make the trip either. So I am looking for vicarious thrills. :humour:
Does the Larrivee Factory have a gift shop? I know the Martin factory in Nazareth does.
If so, do they sell picture post cards? The reason I ask is that there is still time to send a little cash along with Danny. Maybe the FG III buyers who don't make the tour could be sent a postcard postmarked March 16 as a memento?
You know, just a little crumb under the table? :rolleye:
Norman
Quote from: GeeNorm on February 14, 2009, 02:16:25 PM
I'm not getting to make the trip either. So I am looking for vicarious thrills. :humour:
Does the Larrivee Factory have a gift shop? I know the Martin factory in Nazareth does.
If so, do they sell picture post cards? The reason I ask is that there is still time to send a little cash along with Danny. Maybe the FG III buyers who don't make the tour could be sent a postcard postmarked March 16 as a memento?
You know, just a little crumb under the table? :rolleye:
Norman
Maybe someone could organize all of their photos on a free flickr account for the rest of us who missed it and those who want mementos.
Quote from: limnephilidae on February 14, 2009, 06:14:04 PM
Maybe someone could organize all of their photos on a free flickr account for the rest of us who missed it and those who want mementos.
I'll take a bunch and share the ones that come out decent.
BREAKING NEWS.... well at least for me.
I asked my wife to come with me and she agreed. We had a trip to Seattle and Vancouver Island 7 or 8 years ago and had a wonderful time.
Plus if there is going to be an open mike I will need a kind sympathetic face to look into as I flub my lines and twang my way through a few tunes.
Wouldn't it be so cool if we actually were playing our F-III's then. WOW. I don't care who you are you gotta know that would be one special open mike.
So has anyone updated the list? I know more must be going than we are aware of. It would be good to have an Idea of how many and what dates you might be around. I know I have to spend some time with ricky my bro. But I'd also like to meet others and set a face to a name.
Tad is coming and said his wife is coming also, so that's two spouses now at least. I wish Tuffy could make this. All us "Grandpa's and Ma's" could sing along a little with him on "When Franke comes to town".
my wife beth is talking about coming too.
but she would likely prefer to go shopping than tour a guitar factory.
then again she's full of surprises... Like buying me the OM40 for Valentine yesterday
while waiting for the FG3...& knowing about this trip.
we're driving the 12-hr road trip so might as well try to get that weekend off.
this is as good as it gets!
new friends, one of the finest guitars in the business, & spouses!
Yipee! ricky
still charging my camera battery to take pics of my OM40.
My wife and I will be flying into Seattle arriving noon Saturday, then driving up to Bellingham for Sat night. Plan then is to go to Vancouver Sunday, stay until Tuesday, then drive back to Seattle to catch a 2pm flight back to Oakland.
If we can offer anyone a ride, pls let me know. If we know what hotel people will be trying to get into in Vancouver, we'll need a room.
And if someone is thinking about a nice side-trip planned for non-guitar playing spouses on Monday, my wife might wanna hear about it.
Looking very forward to this -
Tad
Quote from: tadol on February 15, 2009, 11:35:43 PM
My wife and I will be flying into Seattle arriving noon Saturday, then driving up to Bellingham for Sat night. Plan then is to go to Vancouver Sunday, stay until Tuesday, then drive back to Seattle to catch a 2pm flight back to Oakland.
If we can offer anyone a ride, pls let me know. If we know what hotel people will be trying to get into in Vancouver, we'll need a room.
And if someone is thinking about a nice side-trip planned for non-guitar playing spouses on Monday, my wife might wanna hear about it.
Looking very forward to this -
Tad
Tad my wife may be up to side trips, and as far as a ride back to Seattle we may take you up on that. Because I wanted to take the train on Thursday to Vancouver and then rent a car there, but we would need a way back to the Seattle Airport. Our flite leaves at about the same time. I can talk to you tomorrow.
ricky, glad your wife is coming too we all can get together somehow I'm sure.
Danny
Quote from: GeeNorm on February 14, 2009, 02:16:25 PM
I'm not getting to make the trip either. So I am looking for vicarious thrills. :humour:
Does the Larrivee Factory have a gift shop? I know the Martin factory in Nazareth does.
If so, do they sell picture post cards? The reason I ask is that there is still time to send a little cash along with Danny. Maybe the FG III buyers who don't make the tour could be sent a postcard postmarked March 16 as a memento?
You know, just a little crumb under the table? :rolleye:
Norman
Norm I'll pick up something at the factory for you. (sawdust, wood chips, old ping tuners) you know something "special". Really I'll try and stuff my coat pockets with what I can (LEGALLY)
For anyone driving up, make sure to fill the gas tank before you cross the border. Gas in the Vancouver area right now is about $.98 per litre, or $3.78 per US gallon. Even with the exchange rate, its still way cheaper to buy your fuel in the good old USA than here in Canada. Taxes up here on fuel are ridiculous.
My itinerary is I fly into Vancouver on Friday night. I am in Vancouver until Tuesday morning when I fly home. If anybody can give me a lift to the factory tour that would be appreciated. Also, anybody that is going to be in Vancouver in advance of Monday morning who would like to get together let me know. I'm on my own there and will likely just wander around the city and see some of the sights, without a car though so I'm depending on public transit. Really looking forward to meeting you guys.
Quote from: dependan on February 15, 2009, 11:59:50 PM
Norm I'll pick up something at the factory for you. (sawdust, wood chips, old ping tuners) you know something "special". Really I'll try and stuff my coat pockets with what I can (LEGALLY)
If you see SN# 108548 (FIII #11) could you all gaze at it longingly for me? I want her to get used to it early on in her life.
:laughin:
This just in..........
After spending the weekend talking to my lovely wife she has convinced me that if I don't make this trip Il'll regret it. Maybe not today or tomorrow but soon and for the rest of my life..(She's a Casa Blanca fan)
So....................TUFFYTHEPUG IS IN !
I'll be making plans over the next few days. Hope to see lots of you there.
Tuffythepug
I have lost track, Can we get another tally of who is going to the be there on the 16th.
Quote from: limnephilidae on February 16, 2009, 09:26:19 AM
If you see SN# 108548 (FIII #11) could you all gaze at it longingly for me? I want her to get used to it early on in her life.
:laughin:
If you see #108549 and it is finished, someone grab it and 'play the snot out of it' and post on the forum about it, so I can find out if it sounds as good as expected just as soon as possible!
Ben
Quote from: tadol on February 15, 2009, 11:35:43 PM
And if someone is thinking about a nice side-trip planned for non-guitar playing spouses on Monday, my wife might wanna hear about it.
Tad & Danny... my wife loves to go shopping on West 4th Avenue. Lots of quaint little shops there on the streets and the lifestyle in Vancouver is such that
there are lots and lots of cafes.
Also, a thing for the group to see maybe Granville Island which is just a few blocks east of West 4th Av and not too far from the Factory.
A cozy place for lunch for the whole group is "Martini's Restaurant" --- great calamari, generous servings, decent prices, different kinds of beer & wine.
My American friends... please fill up in Blaine, the border town before you cross the border - when I lived in Vancouver, I drove the 30miles to fill up in USA.
Oh yeah... get used to 50-60 Km/hr --- that's like 35-40 mi/hr... You drive faster than that in the City of Vancouver; it will feel like your speeding.
Narrower and more congested streets... slower traffic... lots of stop and go.
It's a small city that has grown larger and more people per square mile... the highrise condos downtown is second only to NY in terms of density.
ricky
Quote from: lyric_girl on February 10, 2009, 10:42:34 AM
1. Jim H
2. Danny
3. Ricky
4. Dermot
5. John
6. Lynda
I have a rough idea how I'm gonna make this fly (no pun intended), but not totally sure right now.
add 7. Lynn (T the P)
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 16, 2009, 04:42:45 PM
add 7. Lynn (T the P)
I guess we should start calling you Lynn... sorry, I (we) got so used to referring to you as Mr. T or Tuffy in this Forum.
Glad you can make it... and Mrs. Tuffy too? Ooops... there I go again.
ricky
Quote from: rpm60912 on February 16, 2009, 04:47:05 PM
I guess we should start calling you Lynn... sorry, I (we) got so used to referring to you as Mr. T or Tuffy in this Forum.
Glad you can make it... and Mrs. Tuffy too? Ooops... there I go again.
ricky
Sadly I'll be flying solo on this trip. Mrs. Tuffythepug will not be able to make it. :crying:
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 16, 2009, 03:46:27 PM
I have lost track, Can we get another tally of who is going to the be there on the 16th.
1. Jim H
2. Danny
3. Ricky
4. Dermot
5. John
6. Lynda
7. Lynn
8. Tad
And several locals (Seattle and Vancouver) and I believe a few more that have said they were coming.
Quote from: dependan on February 16, 2009, 05:46:31 PM
1. Jim H
2. Danny
3. Ricky
4. Dermot
5. John
6. Lynda
7. Lynn
8. Tad
And several locals (Seattle and Vancouver) and I believe a few more that have said they were coming.
Danny, except for Dermot & John, I'm familiar with everyone else's Forum Id on the list.
I'm sure I've seen their (Dermot & John) Forum Login Ids before - but can't connect them in my mind at this point. No offense. Just a slow brain when it comes to names.
May I suggest we include the Forum Ids too, please?
ricky
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 16, 2009, 01:33:36 PM
This just in..........
After spending the weekend talking to my lovely wife she has convinced me that if I don't make this trip Il'll regret it. Maybe not today or tomorrow but soon and for the rest of my life..(She's a Casa Blanca fan)
So....................TUFFYTHEPUG IS IN !
I'll be making plans over the next few days. Hope to see lots of you there.
Tuffythepug
I am SO stoked that you're gonna be there Lynn. I too kept feeling that I would regret if I weren't there.
Quote from: dependan on February 16, 2009, 05:46:31 PM
1. Jim H
2. Danny
3. Ricky
4. Dermot
5. John
6. Lynda
7. Lynn
8. Tad
And several locals (Seattle and Vancouver) and I believe a few more that have said they were coming.
Add Photomat and possible guest and Larrivee owner DaveG (Both from Seattle)
John is johhny37, forum git #68. And I wouldn't miss this for anything.
Quote from: Larrivee4me on February 08, 2009, 09:13:24 PM
Wow!!!!! Flying to Seattle from Columbus, Ohio is half the cost of flying directly to Vancouver. I'd be interested in meeting up with others in Seattle then driving to Vancouver for the tour. I'm thinking fly in on Saturday and fly back to Ohio on Tuesday morning. If anyone would like to try and coordinate to share expenses let me know. Any suggestions for lodging would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Mark
Mark, there are some coming and going from Seattle the same day as you are planning. Are you still coming?
FOLKS, I am working up a list from this thread right now and will have it in a bit. Danny
Quote from: johnny37 on February 16, 2009, 07:40:37 PM
John is johhny37, forum git #68. And I wouldn't miss this for anything.
Cool... thanks John... I'm 10 gits behind. #78
ricky
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 16, 2009, 03:46:27 PM
I have lost track, Can we get another tally of who is going to the be there on the 16th.
Here is the best update I can come up with... Let's try and keep this updated and corrected.
Just copy and paste or quote others as we go to make corrections.
Randy if you know of a better way (like a locked sticky that can be updated) then let's do that.
1. Jim H Trinity Guitars
2. Danny dependan
3. Ricky rpm61912
4. Dermot is dermot or d. (as far as I know) d. has offered to help folks in Vancouver
5. John Johnny37
6. Lynda lyricgirl
7. Lynn Tuffy the pug
8. Tad Tadol *Plus our three wives (Tad, ricky and me)and someone was bringing a guest also
9. Jordan Jagidas
10. Ray Safricanplayer
11. Mark Larrivee4me
12. Michael mrkillick
13. Matt Photomat Matt has offered hospitality in Lynnwood Wa. just north of Seattle
14. Norm prof_stack
15. Darren dazdarren
16. Mike Vancouver Southpaw I think Mike knows the area very well
Well, I have a gut feeling there will be more. Happy playin Y'all Danny
thanks Danny!
ricky
Here's a question for all who will be going to Vancouver to take the tour....
How many of you are bringing a guitar with you ? Does anyone expect to be able to play their forum III while at the factory ?
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 16, 2009, 08:53:57 PM
Here's a question for all who will be going to Vancouver to take the tour....
How many of you are bringing a guitar with you ? Does anyone expect to be able to play their forum III while at the factory ?
I'm driving. So I guess I can bring one guitar likely my OO-09; but if Danny brings his OOFM, then should I bring my OM?
Wouldn't it be great if we can take our FGIII home? If there's any possibility of that, then I won't bring any guitar
and just take my new baby home.
ricky
Quote from: rpm60912 on February 16, 2009, 09:09:29 PM
I'm driving. So I guess I can bring one guitar likely my OO-09; but if Danny brings his OOFM, then should I bring my OM?
Wouldn't it be great if we can take our FGIII home? If there's any possibility of that, then I won't bring any guitar
and just take my new baby home.
ricky
I have heard that idea somewhere.....
I won't have Holly (the guitar) with me. I'm just way too afraid of flying with a guitar and not planning on buying another overpriced airfare to have her in the seat beside me. So no, I will be guitarless.
I'm honestly not expecting to be able to see and touch my Forum Git either while we're there. I think it would be a lot of work to pull our guitars aside. Then again, I could be totally wrong, but I think it's best to expect less.
Quote from: lyric_girl on February 16, 2009, 09:46:53 PM
I won't have Holly (the guitar) with me. I'm just way too afraid of flying with a guitar and not planning on buying another overpriced airfare to have her in the seat beside me. So no, I will be guitarless.
I'm honestly not expecting to be able to see and touch my Forum Git either while we're there. I think it would be a lot of work to pull our guitars aside. Then again, I could be totally wrong, but I think it's best to expect less.
Well, I don't know what to expect, but in theory most of them will be ready to ship by then, or just curing finish on a shelf waiting to be shipped. For sure there will be some to play. All in all though this will still be a very memorable time.
I have flown with my guitars and had no problems at all. And a parlor would be the very easiest to take on board. My 00 is small enough too. But I flew from California to Austin with my brand new LSV-11 stuck in an overhead compartment. No one even blinked at me about it. Except to say what a beautiful case it was.
But that is Southwest Airlines...people and guitar friendly.
Quote from: dependan on February 16, 2009, 09:45:48 PM
I have heard that idea somewhere.....
Danny,
I just didn't want to put anyone "on the spot" in case there's a flood of requests - if that was a possibility - taking the FG III home that is.
ricky
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 16, 2009, 08:53:57 PM
How many of you are bringing a guitar with you ? Does anyone expect to be able to play their forum III while at the factory ?
I may bring one with me. But I am really hoping that mine will be done and ready to go. In that case, I'll be breaking in the new F-3. Getting somewhat giddy about the new axe. Are they done yet? :humour:
Quote from: rpm60912 on February 16, 2009, 10:03:38 PM
Danny,
I just didn't want to put anyone "on the spot" in case there's a flood of requests - if that was a possibility - taking the FG III home that is.
ricky
I know dude man! I guess I have no sense of humor :-( Besides who in their right mind would not want to take it home if they knew it was ready and they were there lookiing at it, touching and playing it. Man it would be like the old wild west.
"Ya cin hav ma git, win ya pry et owtta ma cold ded fangers mister Larvae" No offense to anyone intended. Translation into canuck as well as yankee is available upon request.
deadpan, danny
Wow...just four weeks to go. I'm sure we're all fantasizing that OUR Forum III's will be ready that day.
Meanwhile, I love the suggestion of a jam/open mike, and would be pleased to offer up my home in East Van as a site, unless folks decide that a public venue is preferable - and there may well be some local watering holes who'd allow us to plug in to their PA system on a Monday night.
But for me there's nothing (well, almost nothing) more fun than a good old-fashioned go-round-the-circle living room jam.
Sunday night is also a possibility if that's better for most people, though I'd prefer Monday.
I guess some people might not be bringing guitars for logistical reasons. I'm happy to share mine...if you're left-handed heh heh.
Mike
Heh, folks Randy put a sticky on the list for us in another thread. So it will be easier to track who is or isn't going.
This is the list
1. Jim H Trinity Guitars
2. Danny dependan
3. Ricky rpm61912
4. Dermot dermot d. has offered to help folks in Vancouver
5. John Johnny37
6. Lynda lyricgirl
7. Lynn Tuffy the pug
8. Tad Tadol *Plus our three wives (Tad, ricky and me)and someone was bringing a guest also
9. Jordan Jagidas
10. Ray Safricanplayer
11. Mark Larrivee4me
12. Michael mrkillick
13. Matt Photomat Matt has offered hospitality in Lynnwood Wa. just north of Seattle
14. Norm prof_stack
15. Darren dazdarren
16. Mike Vancouver Southpaw I think Mike knows the area very well and offered his place to jam
This is the link to the list only thread, I'll check this one and update the other or if someone else wants to also, feel free to do so. The clearer we communicate now the less confusion later and more time to pick and grin. http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=25641.0
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on February 16, 2009, 10:50:40 PM
Wow...just four weeks to go. I'm sure we're all fantasizing that OUR Forum III's will be ready that day.
Meanwhile, I love the suggestion of a jam/open mike, and would be pleased to offer up my home in East Van as a site, unless folks decide that a public venue is preferable - and there may well be some local watering holes who'd allow us to plug in to their PA system on a Monday night.
But for me there's nothing (well, almost nothing) more fun than a good old-fashioned go-round-the-circle living room jam.
Sunday night is also a possibility if that's better for most people, though I'd prefer Monday.
I guess some people might not be bringing guitars for logistical reasons. I'm happy to share mine...if you're left-handed heh heh.
Mike
Generous of you to offer up your home for a jam. A hotel or watering hole would be fine too. Anywhere that will allow us to all get together and play a few tunes for each other is all that is needed.
Oh, and yeah, I am a lefty but I'll probably bring along my own guitar anyhow. I haven't had any problems flying with one before.
Tuffythepug
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 16, 2009, 11:19:08 PM
Generous of you to offer up your home for a jam. A hotel or watering hole would be fine too. Anywhere that will allow us to all get together and play a few tunes for each other is all that is needed.
Oh, and yeah, I am a lefty but I'll probably bring along my own guitar anyhow. I haven't had any problems flying with one before.
Tuffythepug
Well, I figure it's safe as odds are most of you aren't any crazier than I am.
It would be great to host another lefty. Even if you bring your own, I'd love to hear my guitars played by someone else. I always seem to be sitting behind them while I'm listening.
Mike
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 16, 2009, 11:19:08 PM
Generous of you to offer up your home for a jam. A hotel or watering hole would be fine too. Anywhere that will allow us to all get together and play a few tunes for each other is all that is needed.
Oh, and yeah, I am a lefty but I'll probably bring along my own guitar anyhow. I haven't had any problems flying with one before.
Tuffythepug
Yea, besides I'm the only foumite to have seen your 000-50, so you get a chance to let it "shine". (I figured that would be the one you would bring)
My wife was a travel agent when I met her so she has started looking into lodging. She found one 3800 sq.ft. place with a bath in every bedroom and some with jacuzzis. But ya have to rent it for a week. We'll keep looking and if others know of a nice place for a dozen folks or so to be in proximity to each other, post it and we can all consider it together.
I'm still trying to figure out if I can justify the factory tour. I want to, but airfares are quite a bit higher than I expected.
I'd be a little worried about getting my new FGIII across the border if I was take it home following the tour. I'd wonder if US customs might slap duties or taxes on it. Probaby cleaner to just let Larrivee ship them to Jim once they are ready and for Jim to ship them onward and deal with the paperwork of goods crossing the border.
Quote from: dazdarren on February 17, 2009, 02:14:33 AMI'd be a little worried about getting my new FGIII across the border if I was take it home following the tour. I'd wonder if US customs might slap duties or taxes on it. Probaby cleaner to just let Larrivee ship them to Jim once they are ready and for Jim to ship them onward and deal with the paperwork of goods crossing the border.
The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between USA, Canada, and Mexico guarantees no duty fees or taxes for locally made products, including Larrivees.
I bought 3 guitars from the USA and only had to pay for our national sales tax (GST in Canada) and customs brokerage fees.
ricky
i have some guitars on hand... i am cool with any forum member (with a tiny bit of care) playing any of them.....
This lot already have pick marks (or major mojo in some cases...) on them, so i'm not too fussed about taking them out and about;
'54 D18
'49 000-18
'61 Guild f20
'02 Martin custom shop 12 fret D (my "beater")
'32 Dobro
If we don't make music with them they are nothing but a pile of wood and wire....
;-)
d.
Quote from: dermot on February 17, 2009, 02:44:38 AM
i have some guitars on hand... i am cool with any forum member (with a tiny bit of care) playing any of them.....
This lot already have pick marks (or major mojo in some cases...) on them, so i'm not too fussed about taking them out and about;
'54 D18
'49 000-18
'61 Guild f20
'02 Martin custom shop 12 fret D (my "beater")
'32 Dobro
If we don't make music with them they are nothing but a pile of wood and wire....
;-)
d.
Dermot
Quite generous of you. I assume that "a tiny bit of care" would preclude re-stringing them left-handed and re-filing the nut ? :roll
Tuffythepug
Tuffy, I was at a party in my youth, and had only played guitar for a few weeks. The girl who lived there had a left handed strat, which we tried to restring right handed as no other guitars were present. We honestly didn't know any better.
All went well until we realised that the E and A strings weren't long enough due to the 6 in a line headstock. She wasn't impressed the next day to find her guitar strung like a right handed UKE!
Oops
I am sure we have all done silly things when we were young and naive.
Oh, Ben.
There you go making some of us very jealous with your signature pic! :nice guitar:
I think you are excited about your FG-III. Well so am I. But I haven't seen any pictures of my serial number in the pictures posted to date.
Norman
Quote from: GeeNorm on February 17, 2009, 10:50:56 AM
Oh, Ben.
There you go making some of us very jealous with your signature pic! :nice guitar:
I think you are excited about your FG-III. Well so am I. But I haven't seen any pictures of my serial number in the pictures posted to date.
Norman
Don't worry Norman, haven't seen mine either. I could assume that the one below Ben's in that pic is mine, but you can only clearly see the number 4 on the end, so I'm not assuming.
I figured out how I could use some frequent flyer points last night and was going to book it today, but then found out today that I might have a work commitment that will prevent me from making the trip. Won't know for a couple of weeks. The things we do for money eh?
Does anyone know if Larrivee offers factory tours as a normal course of business? IF I can't get there on March 16th I'd definitely like to make a trip up there at some point.
Quote from: dazdarren on February 17, 2009, 11:46:55 PM
I figured out how I could use some frequent flyer points last night and was going to book it today, but then found out today that I might have a work commitment that will prevent me from making the trip. Won't know for a couple of weeks. The things we do for money eh?
Does anyone know if Larrivee offers factory tours as a normal course of business? IF I can't get there on March 16th I'd definitely like to make a trip up there at some point.
If you e-mail them they will work it out for you.
Let us know as soon as you can if you are definite to make it. We need as accurate a count as possible for various reasons.
Quote from: dependan on February 18, 2009, 10:37:51 AM
If you e-mail them they will work it out for you.
Let us know as soon as you can if you are definite to make it. We need as accurate a count as possible for various reasons.
Danny,
I am sure you realize that there won't be an accurate count until much closer likely. I am sure, like the Forum III, there will be some who get on board at the end.
Note
Duplicate post is on the "Vancouver tour list of attendees" thread........
Could anyone who is familiar with the lay-of-the-land give me some idea of how far it is from the Larrivee factory to the area where most of the decent hotels are located ? Are they clustered in the downtown vicinity as I would expect ? Also, I've heard that there is a very good public transit system in place. True ?
As of right now I'm trying to put together a quick trip involving a flight into Vancouver on Sunday and departure on Tue. so I'll need a place for a couple of nights as well as reliable transportation to the factory on Monday. As usual, any suggestions or comments would be most welcome.
You can comment here or PM me; whatever you feel comfortable with.
Tuffythepug
Has anyone seen the list of nearby hotels recommended by Larrivee that Jim Holler was trying to get? Larrivee may have some special pricing from nearby hotels for visiting dignitaries.
some thing walking distance or on public transit would likely be nice with a few restaurants nearby.
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 20, 2009, 10:32:01 AM
Note
Duplicate post is on the "Vancouver tour list of attendees" thread........
Could anyone who is familiar with the lay-of-the-land give me some idea of how far it is from the Larrivee factory to the area where most of the decent hotels are located ? Are they clustered in the downtown vicinity as I would expect ? Also, I've heard that there is a very good public transit system in place. True ?
As of right now I'm trying to put together a quick trip involving a flight into Vancouver on Sunday and departure on Tue. so I'll need a place for a couple of nights as well as reliable transportation to the factory on Monday. As usual, any suggestions or comments would be most welcome.
You can comment here or PM me; whatever you feel comfortable with.
Tuffythepug
Lynn I know Tad and I would like to try to be in the same area, just not much communication yet. Mike, Vancouver southpaw said he knows the lay of the land, so maybe he could help. I would be happy to pick you up at the Airport on Sunday, someone else can if they like. Tuesday we'll need to get back to Seattle to head back to Texas ourselves.
Also dermot has expressed desire to help out and if free of work that week I believe. So it would be good for us to have input from more attendee's on this thread as to coordinating a bit more.
Lyricgirl has made her plans known and I am flexible, Tad has told us his basic schedule, but we need to nail down lodging. My wife has looked some, but we don't know the best area to consider for the group as a whole.
Danny
Quote from: Randy_R on February 20, 2009, 10:35:54 AM
Has anyone seen the list of nearby hotels recommended by Larrivee that Jim Holler was trying to get? Larrivee may have some special pricing from nearby hotels for visiting dignitaries.
some thing walking distance or on public transit would likely be nice with a few restaurants nearby.
Sure would like to see this. Randy can you make this? I sure think that would be great.
I've sent an email to Jim Holler asking him to let us know if he was able to get any recommendations from Larrivee.
I asked for economical, nearby, on public transit, with nearby food and entertainment...
Quote from: Randy_R on February 20, 2009, 10:49:17 AM
I've sent an email to Jim Holler asking him to let us know if he was able to get any recommendations from Larrivee.
I asked for economical, nearby, on public transit, with nearby food and entertainment...
That would be really helpful. However, that being said, since it is March Break/Spring Break there, I haven't found any economical hotels, at least not in the downtown core. I was planning on using Hotwire unless folks want to share a suite.
Oh man, I wish I could join the party and meet so many forum family members at "the shrine" and see our new F3s in the making. You guys have a great time and drink a fine Canadian beer for me. And please post many pics from the event. :cheers
Quote from: bluesman67 on February 20, 2009, 10:56:19 AM
Oh man, I wish I could join the party and meet so many forum family members at "the shrine" and see our new F3s in the making. You guys have a great time and drink a fine Canadian beer for me. And please post many pics from the event. :cheers
Joseph
It's asking a lot but... OK...I'll drink a beer for you. Would you like me to take your forum III for a spin too ???? I'll be taking lots of pics so you can join in the festivities after the fact and vicariously.
Are you absolutely sure you can't make it ?
Lynn
With all the Forum guitars getting finished up, shouldn't the factory have an extra room we could throw some sleeping bags in? And I'll bet there are a few take-out menus under the office phone - plenty of guitars on hand. If there were a good brew-pub across the street. . .
We could establish a new spring-break tradition - PARTY AT THE LARRIVEES!!!!
Tad
Quote from: dependan on February 20, 2009, 10:43:16 AM
. I would be happy to pick you up at the Airport on Sunday, someone else can if they like.
Danny
Danny
Thanks for the offer. I don't have an arrival time as of yet. I may take you up on it. I'd prefer not to inconvenience anyone though. We'll just have to see how it all shakes out I guess.
Lynn
Tad
Hmmmmm. A dozen and a half forumites with access to lots of guitars and a brew pub across the street. Heaven for us.... Hell for J. Larrivee :roll
Quote from: tadol on February 20, 2009, 11:07:02 AM
With all the Forum guitars getting finished up, shouldn't the factory have an extra room we could throw some sleeping bags in? And I'll bet there are a few take-out menus under the office phone - plenty of guitars on hand. If there were a good brew-pub across the street. . .
We could establish a new spring-break tradition - PARTY AT THE LARRIVEES!!!!
Tad
Works for me! :cheers :cheers :cheers
SLUMBER PARTY !!!!!
You could all be deputised as Larrivee security.
The Larrivee facility is actually located in a pretty run-down area just to the east of downtown. It's not far to any of the downtown hotels and a cab ride there from a downtown hotel couldn't be much more than $5. There must be buses that run close by but it's such a short distance that I wouldn't even bother as the fare wouldn't be any cheaper than a cab especially if you're in a group of two or more people. A walk from downtown to Larrivee would take you through our infamous downtown east side, which is not dangerous as long as you don't get into any heated arguments over a crack deal.
There are a fair number of reasonably priced, older hotels on Robson Street which is the trendiest shopping area in the west end of downtown. There's also a Holiday Inn Express at Hastings & Renfrew, very close to my place and probably equidistant from Larrivee as the downtown hotels. This might be relevant to some folks if the jam happens.
Since I live here I haven't had much experience with the hotels, but I have lots of favourite restaurants, mostly Asian cuisines - East Indian, Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc. Some of these are located in the Robson/Denman area in the west end. I'm not so much up on the best places for what I've come to somewhat bemusedly (thanks to a Chinese ex-girlfriend) refer to as "white people food."
There are many vibrant and unique neighbourhoods in Vancouver worth exploring and it's really not that big a place. I live near the eastern edge of the city and can drive downtown in about 10 minutes, a little more at peak periods. The best clusters of shopping/eating can be found in Commercial Drive (gritty/colourul), Main Street/King Edward (lots of indie fashion boutiques, up and coming area), Kitsilano (once a hippie domain, now painfully Gucci), and the West End (adjacent to downtown on one side and Stanley Park on the other, a very mixed neighbourhood).
Hope this helps, fire away with specific questions either on the forum or by pm.
Mike
Mike, thanks very much for your post. Very informative. :smile:
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on February 20, 2009, 01:33:15 PM
The Larrivee facility is actually located in a pretty run-down area just to the east of downtown. It's not far to any of the downtown hotels and a cab ride there from a downtown hotel couldn't be much more than $5. There must be buses that run close by but it's such a short distance that I wouldn't even bother as the fare wouldn't be any cheaper than a cab especially if you're in a group of two or more people. A walk from downtown to Larrivee would take you through our infamous downtown east side, which is not dangerous as long as you don't get into any heated arguments over a crack deal.
There are a fair number of reasonably priced, older hotels on Robson Street which is the trendiest shopping area in the west end of downtown. There's also a Holiday Inn Express at Hastings & Renfrew, very close to my place and probably equidistant from Larrivee as the downtown hotels. This might be relevant to some folks if the jam happens.
Since I live here I haven't had much experience with the hotels, but I have lots of favourite restaurants, mostly Asian cuisines - East Indian, Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc. Some of these are located in the Robson/Denman area in the west end. I'm not so much up on the best places for what I've come to somewhat bemusedly (thanks to a Chinese ex-girlfriend) refer to as "white people food."
There are many vibrant and unique neighbourhoods in Vancouver worth exploring and it's really not that big a place. I live near the eastern edge of the city and can drive downtown in about 10 minutes, a little more at peak periods. The best clusters of shopping/eating can be found in Commercial Drive (gritty/colourul), Main Street/King Edward (lots of indie fashion boutiques, up and coming area), Kitsilano (once a hippie domain, now painfully Gucci), and the West End (adjacent to downtown on one side and Stanley Park on the other, a very mixed neighbourhood).
Hope this helps, fire away with specific questions either on the forum or by pm.
Mike
OK how much is the crack ? :roll
JUST KIDDING !
Really Mike, that is a lot of helpful information. I'm sure many of us will benefit by your sharing these insights. I only wish I could have more time to explore your city. Maybe I can at least get a flavor for it and come back again with the missus for a longer stay. This is pretty much a "Mission from God" and I've gotta get in and out.
Thank you very much !
Mike - if you could give us the address of the factory, we could do a little google and mapquest work, and figure out what our best options might be for lodging, meals, bailbonds, etc. . . .
Tad
Quote from: tadol on February 20, 2009, 08:39:54 PM
Mike - if you could give us the address of the factory, we could do a little google and mapquest work, and figure out what our best options might be for lodging, meals, bailbonds, etc. . . .
Tad
Also pastrie shops , we need to take a load of goodies to the factory folks (donuts ya know :donut :donut2)
Larrivee is located at 780 East Cordova Street, Vancouver, BC
I sure wish I was making this trip with you folks... However, I will be in Vancouver in early June, with a few lay over days, so I'll likely drop by then. I haven't been to the newest factory, the last time was at the older place in 1997.
Vancouver is a great city.
Quote from: dependan on February 20, 2009, 08:43:10 PM
Also pastrie shops , we need to take a load of goodies to the factory folks (donuts ya know :donut :donut2)
I'm not much of a donut person nor have I yet required the services of a bail bondsman, but there are several excellent bakeries on or around Commercial Drive not far from Larrivee, ranging from decadent Italian (Fratelli Bakery, 1795 Commercial) to health-conscious (Uprising Breads, 1697 Venables, just off the north end of the Drive retail strip) and several others. There are also some good Chinese bakeries along Hastings between Victoria and Nanaimo, again very close to Larrivee.
Which brings me to wonder aloud why Tim Horton's seems to not have made much of an impact in Vancouver. They're ubiquitous in most other parts of Canada, much as Starbucks is here.
Mike
Re taking goodies to Larrivee, do we know how many people work there and are we taking something for ALL of them?!
I guess we need to find out the employee total so we can supply everyone with some goodies. :donut :donut2
Does anyone know if Jean will be there? I would make the trip if I could get him to sign my guitar...
Quote from: Dale_I on February 21, 2009, 05:20:21 PM
Does anyone know if Jean will be there? I would make the trip if I could get him to sign my guitar...
I don't know, but if you are buying an F-III he is signing every label. I had thought of this also, and that Matthew may be there on one of his truck runs. I think that would be more icing on the cake.
Quote from: Dale_I on February 21, 2009, 05:20:21 PM
Does anyone know if Jean will be there? I would make the trip if I could get him to sign my guitar...
All the F3's are being signed by Jean.
I was going to bring my LV-10MR. I live in Spokane, so I would have stay to overnight, but would make the trip if Jean was going to be available. Maybe one of the organizers could confirm or deny his presence?
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 20, 2009, 11:01:00 AM
Joseph
It's asking a lot but... OK...I'll drink a beer for you. Would you like me to take your forum III for a spin too ???? I'll be taking lots of pics so you can join in the festivities after the fact and vicariously.
Are you absolutely sure you can't make it ?
Lynn
Most likely. I am trying to get a $800 travel credit re-instated by Air Canada that has expired, so if anyone has any "connections" I could use the help. They have a customer problem resolution system and I have sent in the request and am waiting to hear something back. They never bothered to mention to me that my credit had an expiration date.
Quote from: bluesman67 on February 22, 2009, 05:33:20 PM
Most likely. I am trying to get a $800 travel credit re-instated by Air Canada that has expired, so if anyone has any "connections" I could use the help. They have a customer problem resolution system and I have sent in the request and am waiting to hear something back. They never bothered to mention to me that my credit had an expiration date.
How long ago did it expire?
Quote from: bluesman67 on February 22, 2009, 06:03:53 PM
Oct 25, 2008.
I would imagine you're SOL, but good luck trying.
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on February 20, 2009, 01:33:15 PM
The Larrivee facility is actually located in a pretty run-down area just to the east of downtown. It's not far to any of the downtown hotels and a cab ride there from a downtown hotel couldn't be much more than $5.
There are many vibrant and unique neighbourhoods in Vancouver worth exploring and it's really not that big a place. I live near the eastern edge of the city and can drive downtown in about 10 minutes, a little more at peak periods. The best clusters of shopping/eating can be found in Commercial Drive (gritty/colourul), Main Street/King Edward (lots of indie fashion boutiques, up and coming area), Kitsilano (once a hippie domain, now painfully Gucci), and the West End (adjacent to downtown on one side and Stanley Park on the other, a very mixed neighbourhood).
Hope this helps, fire away with specific questions either on the forum or by pm.
Mike
Darn, wish I could go. I've been to Vancouver twice but that was 20 years ago. Is there still Gastown?? I was imagining the Larrivee factory was near there. Ahh...Gastown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, South Beach... sigh
Greg
Here is an update: This is who we think is going as of 2/24/09
1. Jim H Trinity Guitars
2. Danny dependan
3. Ricky rpm60912
4. Dermot or d. dermot d. has offered to help folks in Vancouver
5. John Johnny37
6. Lynda lyricgirl
7. Lynn Tuffy the pug
8. Tad Tadol *Plus our three wives (Tad, ricky and me)
9. Jordan Jagidas
10. Mike Vancouver Southpaw
11. Mark Larrivee4me
12. Michael mrkillick
13. Matt Photomat *Matt has offered hospitality in Lynnwood Wa. just north of Seattle and a Drive up Monday AM. *Joseph Bluesman67 is checking into coming also
14. Norm prof_stack
15. Darren dazdarren Darren is conflicted ;-)
16. and 17. Two Guests of Matt,(Photomat) are also coming DaveG and K20C
Quote from: pigtown on February 24, 2009, 08:36:04 AM
Darn, wish I could go. I've been to Vancouver twice but that was 20 years ago. Is there still Gastown?? I was imagining the Larrivee factory was near there. Ahh...Gastown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, South Beach... sigh
Greg
Yes, there's still Gastown. These days it's a bizarre mix of tourist traps, bars, overpriced converted lofts for yuppies, and street people. Quite schizophrenic, much like Vancouver in general.
Mike
QuoteI was imagining the Larrivee factory was near there. Ahh...Gastown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, South Beach... sigh
we don't have a south beach, but we do have a wreck beach... March might be a little bit cold tho....
;-)
d.
Quote from: dermot on February 25, 2009, 03:30:17 AM
we don't have a south beach, but we do have a wreck beach... March might be a little bit cold tho....
;-)
d.
There is a point I have been meaning to ask about. What is the weather like in mid March around Vancouver. I know it must be cool, but it's not as cold as Calgary right?
warmer than Calgary, similar to Seattle in March, i would pack a northface type multi layer jacket with a hood..... wear the fleecy if it's warm, shell if it's raining, and both if it's raining and cold... very low chance of snow in the city by mid march, up on the hills there should be snow still tho.
d.
re: weather
I've been trying to figure out how to pack light for a short trip without exposing myself to some unpleasantness. I saw that the avg. temp for the past few days was about 7 degrees C.
I had to figure that one out. Looks like about 45 deg. F. That's cold but not outrageous.
coat, hat, gloves will definietely go in the bag though.
Tuffythepug
Yup, a slicker, leather chaps and mink oiled boots and a good felt hat with a bandanna for face protection should work real well. You could even Rob a bank if you needed some extra cash in that git up.
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 25, 2009, 10:44:18 AM
re: weather
I've been trying to figure out how to pack light for a short trip without exposing myself to some unpleasantness. I saw that the avg. temp for the past few days was about 7 degrees C.
I had to figure that one out. Looks like about 45 deg. F. That's cold but not outrageous.
coat, hat, gloves will definietely go in the bag though.
Tuffythepug
Lynn,
You're such a Californian! That's not cold! :roll
Quote from: lyric_girl on February 25, 2009, 11:38:42 AM
Lynn,
You're such a Californian! That's not cold! :roll
It's all relative my fine Canadian friend :bgrin: My pool water is at 45 degrees right now. That's cold.
:roll
45F sounds so nice....!! T-shirt weather! :crying:
only -4F here today.. it's getting warmer though :whistling:
Snow is falling right now outside my window.. on the north shore....
;-))
d.
Folks,
I'm not going to be on the trip, but in reading all the posts I wonder why no one has mentioned current and currency. Did I miss it?
Will US 110 volt appliances work in Vancouver? Is US currency accepted? I was surprised last summer to learn US currency was accepted in Jamaica.
Norman
Quote from: dermot on February 25, 2009, 05:51:52 PM
Snow is falling right now outside my window.. on the north shore....
;-))
d.
I told my wife this, and she said "Really, Cool!" then she walked over to the coat closet and brought back a nice leather coat she bought today. That's what I'm thinking too is Leather, with a zip out liner. So it would work for cold and just cool. Wet is okay to a point with leather, but I don't plan on standing in the RAIN.
Just to let folks know, my wife and I were invited to stay with friends in Vancouver. They live about 10 minutes from the factory and we will rent a car to help others get around. Dermot has graciously offered to help us when we first arrive and he said he is available through out the weekend and Monday. I know Mike would like to have some of us over to Jam at his place if we don't find a facility in a hotel or something.
I'm getting almost as excited about this gathering of real , live forum folk as I am about the F-III. So far I have met four members in person ( two of those will be in Vancouver) and I have talked to others on the phone. (two of those will be there also) Each person has been one you are very glad to have come to know. They are all gracious and thoughtful of others. I don't know why Larrivee attracts such folks, but I'm happy to be part of this bunch. I just wish more could come. Danny
Quote from: GeeNorm on February 25, 2009, 09:36:57 PM
Folks,
Will US 110 volt appliances work in Vancouver? Is US currency accepted?
Norman
Norm they love our $ and the volts are the same I think. I never blew anything up in the past.
The current is really only a concern in Europe. Most any of the border communities take either $US or $CAN. Even folks as far South as Spokane (3 hours from border) have currency adaptation in most of the cash registers for Canadian currency.
It isn't really the cold that will get you, it is the wind chill and rain. The rain will make it damp and the cold will go right to the center of your bones. The wind will also make an otherwise chilly day downright frigid. Layer yourself. T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and jacket. Then going outside to inside you'll always have an appropriate layer to make you comfortable.
Any word on Jean attending?
Quote from: Dale_I on February 25, 2009, 10:25:56 PM
Any word on Jean attending?
I think the F-III is John Jrs. deal all the way. But who knows if he's not in Madagascar or Honduras he might surprise us with his big smile. Dale you would have a good time either way. Bring your Larrivee and Tuffy can sign it if JCL isn't there. :humour: Really just kiddin. But if by some chance I get my F-III I will have Ricky, Tad ,Tuffy, Jim and probably a few more sign the toe tag or something.
If you do come I'll buy you some :donut :donut2 and :coffee. (Your choice of coffee)
Quote from: GeeNorm on February 25, 2009, 09:36:57 PM
Will US 110 volt appliances work in Vancouver? Is US currency accepted? I was surprised last summer to learn US currency was accepted in Jamaica.
Norman
Hey Norman, Danny, and the rest of the Forum gang,
My first ever post since leaving last Thursday night for Vancouver; ah, that would be Friday morning because we hit the road at 1:30am.
Back home safely, thank God, driving through snow and slush and mist from the vehicles in front of me; so I just made sure I passed everyone. :humour:
Most places will take US currency (you may not get a fair exchange rate though), so my American friends are better off getting a proper exchange rate at a bank and carry some Canadian.
Ahhh... we're all 110 volts here. I think that's only an issue in Asia and Africa and maybe Europe.
ricky
Quote from: dependan on February 25, 2009, 10:47:00 PMBring your Larrivee and Tuffy can sign it if JCL isn't there. :humour: Really just kiddin. But if by some chance I get my F-III I will have Ricky, Tad ,Tuffy, Jim and probably a few more sign the toe tag or something.
If you do come I'll buy you some :donut :donut2 and :coffee. (Your choice of coffee)
Hey Danny, what's a "toe tag"? I'll be honored to sign anything!
May I ask you to sign a card or whatever piece of memento for me, please?
During our (Beth & I) trip to Vancouver - Seattle area Friday-Monday === I got to thinking about the FG III which is its official name.
But to me (and this is only one person's opinion), I would never have paid attention to an LS or OO or parlor or OM,
had it not been for the
"must have" 4inches depth.
The rest of the world will call this FG III, but I know it's really called "Danny's Git" with a special "Tuffy" 12th fret. :+1: oh yeah, and that Tad gave it the LSV-03
which is exactly what I ordered!
ricky
Quote from: rpm60912 on February 25, 2009, 11:22:19 PM
Hey Norman, Danny, and the rest of the Forum gang,
My first ever post since leaving last Thursday night for Vancouver; ah, that would be Friday morning because we hit the road at 1:30am.
Back home safely, thank God, driving through snow and slush and mist from the vehicles in front of me; so I just made sure I passed everyone. :humour:
Most places will take US currency (you may not get a fair exchange rate though), so my American friends are better off getting a proper exchange rate at a bank and carry some Canadian.
Ahhh... we're all 110 volts here. I think that's only an issue in Asia and Africa and maybe Europe.
ricky
Man I was starting to worry about you I knew you would be driving in some bad weather. In fact I e-mailed you 15 minutes ago.
I think if we use credit cards the exchange is done by the bankcard. Like Chase/Visa. It will do the exchange fairly. But thanks for the heads up.
Look at the new pics if you haven't yet, your git may be in there. Norm and I saw our necks today finally.
Welcome Back, Danny
Quote from: rpm60912 on February 25, 2009, 11:29:08 PM
Hey Danny, what's a "toe tag"? I'll be honored to sign anything!
May I ask you to sign a card or whatever piece of memento for me, please?
During our (Beth & I) trip to Vancouver - Seattle area Friday-Monday === I got to thinking about the FG III which is its official name.
But to me (and this is only one person's opinion), I would never have paid attention to an LS or OO or parlor or OM,
had it not been for the"must have" 4inches depth].
The rest of the world will call this FG III, but I know it's really called "Danny's Git" with a special "Tuffy" 12th fret. :+1: oh yeah, and that Tad gave it the LSV-03
which is exactly what I ordered!
ricky
The toe tag is the little card hanging off the headstock on all new Larrivee guitars. (A toe tag is put on a persons toe to I.D. them at a morgue ) I hope no one takes offense at this, it's just what I have always called those tags.
That tag will say what model it is and sometimes the dealers name and price etc.
Is the toe tag the same thing as the hang tag ?
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 26, 2009, 01:28:21 AM
Is the toe tag the same thing as the hang tag ?
Yes, it reminds me of the "toe tag" on a body in the morgue. You know dead tree etc.
I know I'm weird, it's just what I have always called those tags. I may actually get y'all to sign your name inside the sound hole with a special pen I have. Again, I know, I'm weird.
This point is totally moot if it's not finished though. Which is more than likely the reality.
Danny
I'd be honored to sign your guitar anyway you want. I'll even carve my name in the back with a pen-knife or use a wood-burner if you want. :roll
T
Quote from: GeeNorm on February 25, 2009, 09:36:57 PM
Will US 110 volt appliances work in Vancouver? Is US currency accepted? I was surprised last summer to learn US currency was accepted in Jamaica.
Norman
You're kidding, right? It's not like you're coming to some underdeveloped 3rd world country. We even have running water and flush toilets here.
Hey, would I kid about ignorance? :humour:
But ignorance is lack of information, not lack of intelligence.
{added} But if anything about the questions Will US 110 volt appliances work in Vancouver? Is US currency accepted? was offensive I apologise. I'm not a seasoned international traveler. I asked the questions because I didn't know the answers.
Norman
Here's a link to some "not to expensive"hotels...
google reasonable hotels in Vancouver (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&ei=7kanSfz_KIK2sQOGzfngDw&resnum=0&q=holiday%20inn%20vancouver&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)
The advantage to "A" is it's close to Mike's house, but kinda in the middle of nowhere as far a tourist facilities, about 10 min to Larrivee's workshop.
The advantages to B, G & E is that they are close to downtown, the seawall, Standly Park, and Granville island is a short foot ferry ride, so a good location, i have had biz contact's stay in all three, about 10 min to Larrivee as well
C, D, E, F & I are all further away, and not as much access to the cool things Vancouver has to offer.
I have no experience with "H", but if folks are interested i can stop by and sus it out
i would avoid "J", really.... unless scoring some crack is a proirity, but then you have to step over the dead junkie on the stairs to get to it......
questions?
;-)
d.
Personally, I had planned to stay in the downtown core.
Days Inn Vancouver Downtown (three stars)
921 West Pender st., Vancouver, BC V6C 1M2 - (604) 681-4335
Close to the factory and Stanley park.
Quality Hotel Downtown (four stars)
1335 Howe St., Vancouver, BC V6Z 1R7 - (604) 682-0229
Close to English Bay(must see :+1:)
A little bit farther away from the factory but still close enough!
These are my recommendations... :)
Quality Inn is in the same area as the other downtown hotels, near the Grandville Street bridge, that would be my choice of those two, i have not had anyone i know stay there, and i think there's a liquor store in the basement that can get pretty loud when the bars close for the night
I'll drive by there tomorow morning and refresh me memory....
And the Days Inn is in a dead zone once the office workers head home for the evening...
d.
Ok I wish I'd seen this earlier. Here's my experience of two days ago: I spent about 1 1/2hrs on travelocity trying to make reservations for a flight and hotel. Flight was not much of a problem. Hotel was much trickier. I wanted a package that would give me a discount on both flight and hotel for just a couple of nights. I didn't have any recommendations at the time so I went soley on price that was within my budget and on-line reviews. I didn't even have a map of Vancouver at the time. My first 3 choices of hotels failed because they were totally booked and didn't have a room available for the 16th and 17th.
So my 4th choice was the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites on Comax St. in the West End. It appears to be a decent hotel with good reviews and a reasonable price. Now it appears that the hotels that are being recommended are clustered in an area closer to the central part of the city and to the Larrivee factory.
Since I've already made a reservation and received my itenerary for flight and hotel it's rather late to do anything about it. Please tell me that I didn't make a huge mistake here. I was beginning to think I might not be able to book a room at all by the time I found this place. As I told Danny the other day: All I really care about is a clean and safe place to sleep. I suppose my cab ride to the factory may cost a few more dollars..... Oh well.
For anyone who hasn't made a reservation, it may not be as easy as you think. The hotels appear to be filling up fast.
Tell me guys,,, you locals....... Am I in a bad spot ?
Tuffythepug
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 27, 2009, 12:37:24 AM
Ok I wish I'd seen this earlier. Here's my experience of two days ago: I spent about 1 1/2hrs on travelocity trying to make reservations for a flight and hotel. Flight was not much of a problem. Hotel was much trickier. I wanted a package that would give me a discount on both flight and hotel for just a couple of nights. I didn't have any recommendations at the time so I went soley on price that was within my budget and on-line reviews. I didn't even have a map of Vancouver at the time. My first 3 choices of hotels failed because they were totally booked and didn't have a room available for the 16th and 17th.
So my 4th choice was the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites on Comax St. in the West End. It appears to be a decent hotel with good reviews and a reasonable price. Now it appears that the hotels that are being recommended are clustered in an area closer to the central part of the city and to the Larrivee factory.
Since I've already made a reservation and received my itenerary for flight and hotel it's rather late to do anything about it. Please tell me that I didn't make a huge mistake here. I was beginning to think I might not be able to book a room at all by the time I found this place. As I told Danny the other day: All I really care about is a clean and safe place to sleep. I suppose my cab ride to the factory may cost a few more dollars..... Oh well.
For anyone who hasn't made a reservation, it may not be as easy as you think. The hotels appear to be filling up fast.
Tell me guys,,, you locals....... Am I in a bad spot ?
Tuffythepug
Actually, that's a really cool location - I wouldn't sweat it at all. You're just a couple of blocks from English Bay, Stanley Park and just off Denman Street which has a whole pile of very nice, reasonably priced restaurants as well as some higher end stuff.
Mike
tuffythepug,
Westend is the place to be! :+1:
I can't comment on the hotel, but it is a very safe area and nice place to be!
My wife and I used to go on dates there all the time!
Anything in downtown or the west end is going to be a) reasonably close to Larrivee and b) very close to whatever other amenities you might wish to take advantage of!
Mike
maybe you will be able to run into David Pratt............... :humour: (little joke for Vancouver folks....)
Thanks guys. I feel better now. :thumb
coast plaza is where we often put biz visitors... a great place, and actualy what the person in our office suggested first, but one person i mentioned it to thought it a was bit pricy.. so i started in a bit lower price catgory...
ask for a view over the park...
and back in 93 we started a company out of there.. ran a pile of computers in seven rooms with the connection cables running across the halls... made the first tests for what became the first computer animated tv series; "ReBoot!" there...
good choice...
where we get a jam room going it will not be far away....
d.
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on February 27, 2009, 12:49:06 AM
Actually, that's a really cool location - I wouldn't sweat it at all. You're just a couple of blocks from English Bay, Stanley Park and just off Denman Street which has a whole pile of very nice, reasonably priced restaurants as well as some higher end stuff.
Mike
See Lynn, I told ya so. :tongue: This will all work out for everyone going. :thumbsup
Just thought I would mention that vancouver.com has some decent rates, but you must prepay in advance.
I drove past the Quality today.. it's fine, no liguor store, beside a couple of the other hotels mentioned..
here's a webcam from an office a block away from the Quality inn;
webcam (http://www.katkam.ca/)
;-)
d.
Quote from: dermot on February 27, 2009, 07:27:50 PM
I drove past the Quality today.. it's fine, no liguor store, beside a couple of the other hotels mentioned..
here's a webcam from an office a block away from the Quality inn;
webcam (http://www.katkam.ca/)
;-)
d.
Those webcam's are cool, I have one down in the Smokey Mtn's that I like to check every once in awhile.
Hi. I'm still sitting on the fence waiting to see if my schedule will allow me to attend but can someone please remind me what the agenda is for the 16th. Believe it was lunch, tour, jam? Does anyone have any further details on timing/location of it all. How is the jam going to work since those flying in are unlikely to bring a guitar and I'm not sure the FGIIIs will be ready for us to take with us (nor would I want to fly home with mine and risk damage by the airline)
Quote from: dazdarren on February 28, 2009, 02:06:23 AM
Hi. I'm still sitting on the fence waiting to see if my schedule will allow me to attend but can someone please remind me what the agenda is for the 16th. Believe it was lunch, tour, jam? Does anyone have any further details on timing/location of it all. How is the jam going to work since those flying in are unlikely to bring a guitar and I'm not sure the FGIIIs will be ready for us to take with us (nor would I want to fly home with mine and risk damage by the airline)
It is just a sketch right now, pretty much what you just said. Meet at the factory, lunch, tour and jam. That's all that has been discussed. No more definite details yet.
However Mike has offered his place to jam at, if something else is not arranged. d. has offered to allow careful playing of some of his gits.(not sure how far that goes). Some are coming from Seattle and could bring a git also.
As far as the F-III's being finished and ready to take back with us, I don't know. It looks like that would be a stretch at this point. They need time for the finish to cure on the shelf also, even if they were complete.
But if mine was ready, I would take it back with me. I have flown with gits several times with no issues at all. I store them in the overhead compartment, so I'm with them all the time. But I know some have fears about them being put in baggage so I understand where you are coming from. (The times I put mine in baggage have been fine though.)
Right now, all I know is be ready to be flexible.
Jim Holler should give us more information as we get closer to the date.
Danny
i'm cool with anyone who will take some care to play the ones that have mojo already;
Martin D18
Martin custom 12 fret D (sitka/mahog)
Webber roundbody
Gibson B45-12
Dobro model 19
and i'm cool with anyone who will take ALOT of care to play two that are living room queens;
Larrivee OM19
Martin custom 12 fret D (sitka/Irw)
Most everything is strung with Ej19's and stupid low action... the 12 string has lights, the Dobro has high action....
This lot should fill up the back of my Pathfinder...
So there's start folks....
d.
Dermot
That is extremely generous of you., I'm sure anyone who plays one of your guitars will use the same caution they would use with their own prized instruments.
Now.............if we could just come up with a lefty I'd be all set too ! :nana_guitar
hint, hint
Tuffythepug
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 28, 2009, 11:26:42 AM
Now.............if we could just come up with a lefty I'd be all set too ! :nana_guitar
hint, hint
Tuffythepug
I believe I already offered you mine in our private correspondence. Huh?
Mike
Well, all us Gran Pa's have ''sometimers'', sometimes we remember and others.... let's see what is the topic we are on here :?
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on February 28, 2009, 01:49:55 PM
I believe I already offered you mine in our private correspondence. Huh?
I was
Mike
Mike
You have indeed and I will be pleased to take you up on your kind offer. very generous of you and Dermot to make your instruments available to us visitors. :cheers I was just joking with the "hint, hint" line in my previous post. I really do appreciate the offer.
I hope I get the chance to do the same for you one day. :thumb
Tuffythepug
Quote from: tuffythepug on February 27, 2009, 12:37:24 AM
Ok I wish I'd seen this earlier. Here's my experience of two days ago: I spent about 1 1/2hrs on travelocity trying to make reservations for a flight and hotel. Flight was not much of a problem. Hotel was much trickier. I wanted a package that would give me a discount on both flight and hotel for just a couple of nights. I didn't have any recommendations at the time so I went soley on price that was within my budget and on-line reviews. I didn't even have a map of Vancouver at the time. My first 3 choices of hotels failed because they were totally booked and didn't have a room available for the 16th and 17th.
So my 4th choice was the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites on Comax St. in the West End. It appears to be a decent hotel with good reviews and a reasonable price. Now it appears that the hotels that are being recommended are clustered in an area closer to the central part of the city and to the Larrivee factory.
Since I've already made a reservation and received my itenerary for flight and hotel it's rather late to do anything about it. Please tell me that I didn't make a huge mistake here. I was beginning to think I might not be able to book a room at all by the time I found this place. As I told Danny the other day: All I really care about is a clean and safe place to sleep. I suppose my cab ride to the factory may cost a few more dollars..... Oh well.
For anyone who hasn't made a reservation, it may not be as easy as you think. The hotels appear to be filling up fast.
Tell me guys,,, you locals....... Am I in a bad spot ?
Tuffythepug
Lynn, the west side of the City of Vancouver is the preferred "address" --- more character and upscale. (No offense to Eastside residents - I lived on the Southeast of Vancouver - Champlain Heights during my time there.)
I think my wife and I may be renting a car... so we can even pick you up from your hotel.
I'm trying to get accommodations on the East side of town hopefully better prices.
ricky
If any of you are looking for cheaper hotels.. I'd recommend coquitlam
My wife and I have found a good price at Century Plaza Hotel 1015 BURRARD Vancouver, BC . Seems to have some good reviews -
Any locals got any warnings before we finalize?
Tad
Tad;
Good stuff;
- great location, only a few (short) blocks to Robson street, shopping resturants
- Tom Lee music often has a great selection of Larrivee's including seconds, they are two blocks away....
- was clean and tidy last time i was in there.
Not as good stuff;
- It's been around since the 60's so getting a bit long in the tooth, last time i was in there (maybe 10 years ago) it needed reno's, even tho it was a block from our office we elected to put folks up in the newer hotels nearer the Granville bridge and let then walk the extra two blocks.
- Not much of an ocean view from there
I would ask if they have reno'd recently - unless the price is so stonking hot that it's worth a trip down 60's memory lane ;-)
d.
Quote from: dermot on March 01, 2009, 01:11:57 AM
we elected to put folks up in the newer hotels nearer the Granville bridge and let then walk the extra two blocks.
which newer hotels would you recommend? Thanks
Quote from: dazdarren on March 01, 2009, 01:58:33 AM
which newer hotels would you recommend? Thanks
ES335 recomended this place;
Quality Hotel Downtown (four stars)
1335 Howe St., Vancouver, BC V6Z 1R7 - (604) 682-0229
I drove past it and it's new and shinny, a vast improvement over the old one that was a block away
in the same area of Howe Street there's a quite a few decent hotels, i here's a goggle page with then from a post i made a few days ago;
Howe street hotels (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&ei=7kanSfz_KIK2sQOGzfngDw&resnum=0&q=holiday%20inn%20vancouver&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)
QuoteHere's a link to some "not to expensive"hotels...
google reasonable hotels in Vancouver
The advantage to "A" is it's close to Mike's house, but kinda in the middle of nowhere as far a tourist facilities, about 10 min to Larrivee's workshop.
The advantages to B, G & E is that they are close to downtown, the seawall, Standly Park, and Granville island is a short foot ferry ride, so a good location, i have had biz contact's stay in all three, about 10 min to Larrivee as well
C, D, E, F & I are all further away, and not as much access to the cool things Vancouver has to offer.
I have no experience with "H", but if folks are interested i can stop by and sus it out
i would avoid "J", really.... unless scoring some crack is a proirity, but then you have to step over the dead junkie on the stairs to get to it......
Tuffy is going to the Coast Merdian on Deman, about a 10-15 min walk from Howe street, and it's really close to the Park (and Bob Marly stayed there.. you may get a contact high still...)
On that map Tuffy is staying near the words " West End", and Larrivee's workshop is near the words "Hasting East", the Howe street hotels are that pile of red locators downtown.
d.
Actually I'll be at the Coast Plaza at 1763 Comox St. Still same area though, I believe.
I got a package deal with flight but the hotel portion was $146 for two nights.
Tuffythepug
$146 for two nights!!!!!! that is an amazing deal...
Quote from: es-335 on March 01, 2009, 11:28:57 AM
$146 for two nights!!!!!! that is an amazing deal...
I thought so too. Check out Travelocity. Jim Holler recommended it to me and it seemed to be a good way to go.
Same place Tuffy, i got the name wrong, but Bob Marley is correct...
Great deal!
Quote from: rpm60912 on February 28, 2009, 08:33:07 PM
Lynn, the west side of the City of Vancouver is the preferred "address" --- more character and upscale. (No offense to Eastside residents - I lived on the Southeast of Vancouver - Champlain Heights during my time there.)
I think my wife and I may be renting a car... so we can even pick you up from your hotel.
I'm trying to get accommodations on the East side of town hopefully better prices.
ricky
No offense taken. The East Side is where all the cool people (ie musicians) live. But only because we can't afford to live on the west side. :wink:
Seriously though, one thing worth knowing is that the word "west" is used in a somewhat confusing way in Vancouver. Here's a simple primer:
"west side" = the western half of the main body of the city, technically starting at Ontario Street and going west to UBC.
"west end" = the western part of downtown adjacent to Stanley Park.
"West Vancouver" = not part of Vancouver proper at all, actually on the north shore, and the place where all the really rich people who keep their money in offshore accounts live.
Mike
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on March 01, 2009, 08:10:23 PM
No offense taken. The East Side is where all the cool people (ie musicians) live. But only because we can't afford to live on the west side. :wink:
Seriously though, one thing worth knowing is that the word "west" is used in a somewhat confusing way in Vancouver. Here's a simple primer:
"west side" = the western half of the main body of the city, technically starting at Ontario Street and going west to UBC.
"west end" = the western part of downtown adjacent to Stanley Park.
"West Vancouver" = not part of Vancouver proper at all, actually on the north shore, and the place where all the really rich people who keep their money in offshore accounts live.
Mike
Well sorted!!
Mike, I think my wife and I will be staying fairly close to you at a friends house for several days and then we may get a hotel for the last two nights.
Danny
Looks like I'll be heading south of Seattle that weekend instead of north. The just-graduated son will likely be visiting one of his choices for grad school in Oregon. The wife wants to visit thrift stores down there and I just want to get out of town. So put me down for "doubtful".
Quote from: prof_stack on March 01, 2009, 11:18:31 PM
Looks like I'll be heading south of Seattle that weekend instead of north. The just-graduated son will likely be visiting one of his choices for grad school in Oregon. The wife wants to visit thrift stores down there and I just want to get out of town. So put me down for "doubtful".
Thanks for the update Norm, but I hope that changes and we get to see you at the tour. Danny
To the Vancouverites, just curious, but where is the Entertainment district?
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 02, 2009, 08:41:07 AM
To the Vancouverites, just curious, but where is the Entertainment district?
Wherever we congregate will be the entertainment district... :roll
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 02, 2009, 10:04:09 AM
Wherever we congregate will be the entertainment district... :roll
Lynn, you're a riot this morning! :roll
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 02, 2009, 08:41:07 AM
To the Vancouverites, just curious, but where is the Entertainment district?
North Granville Street, downtown side of the Granville Bridge, about a block from the Howe Street hotels, 15 min walk for Tuffy, three block walk for Tad
d.
From Jim Holler:
John Jr. will be finding a place for lunch. We will each be responsible for paying for our own lunch.
Breaking News...
I've been looking around for reasonable accommodation rates. I realize some have already booked their hotels. Here's what I found:
Howard Johnson Hotel ( this is an old hotel; refurbished in the last 5-7 years I guess? ) located on Kingsway & 12th Ave ( shouldn't be too far from the Factory).
$59 CDN / night + tax(es) and lounge access free for us on Monday the 16th evening - if at least 30 persons
(but I may be able to negotiate this down).
To my Vancouver friends & fellow Forumites --- what do you think of this hotel & rate (dermot - you know a lot about local hotels & rates right?) ???
Thanks,
ricky
Just from the address, it seems pretty far away from downtown...
Traffic could be pretty bad depending on the time of the day...
but the price can't be beat
12th & Kingsway?
to the north and east is a few artist live/work lofts, and small gallery's & studio's and beyond that a somewhat seedy area, but not too bad.
-but-
two blocks the south and west is a pile of resturants, and small shops on Main street, a funky cool area, second hand clothes, antiques, etc etc...
fairly fast run down Main, and turn right on Powell to get to the Larrivee workshop, would not think it any faster than Howe street tho, maybe faster than Denman.
No access to the seawall / ocean / downtown / park etc etc if you don't have a car (transit system kinda sucks here)
End of day if you are just in for the day, have a car and the whole agenda is Larrivee centric... why not?
If you are in for a few days and want to injest a bit of Vancouver (you don't have to inhale to get the vibe) it would not be my first choice... the Coast plaza is pretty cool, and Tuffy got it for only a few bucks more.. and you haev the ocean, park, seawall, downtown right in the palm of your hand...
d.
The HoJo at Kingsway and 12th has a bar downstairs called the Biltmore Cabaret that has rock bands most nights. Not sure how that impacts the rooms as far as noise levels go. It's a bit away from the downtown, but very close to Main Street around 12th Ave. which has lots of amenities. It's also no further from the factory than the hotels in the west end ie the Coast Plaza.
Curious about the "lounge access," does that mean they'd turn it over to us exclusively? And would their furniture be guitar-playing friendly ie chairs without arms and such...
Mike
Ah, I see Dermot and I were both answering at almost the same time.
And to Jim to pass on to John L. Jr., to transfer over the lunch thread going on in the parallel "The Wait" thread, there's an excellent Chinese place near Larrivee called the Pink Pearl which is a Vancouver institution and which could easily accomodate our group of 15-20 people.
Vancouver probably has the most Chinese restaurants per capita outside Beijing. I generally regard that as a good thing.
Mike
i would second Pink Pearl in a heart beat.. great idea Mike...
and i had blanked the Biltmore out of my mind completly..... the 3am drunk dispenser.... i lived a few blocks west of there (old victorian house on 10th near Manitobia) for a while... i love the area, but it's not for everyone, and as my daughter got older i moved up to the North Shore.... better schools up here, i still miss the area tho.
d.
Dermot and Vancouver Southpaw
The Pink Pearl sounds great. I don't know about the rest of the group but I love Chinese food and your recommendation is good enough for me.
Tuffythepug
If you have an extra lunch spot free Schzewan Chong King on Commerical drive & 12th is world class... a bit further from the Larrivee workshop tho...
There's alot of the real deal in the subarb of Richmond, pickled chicken feet and all.... i'm one of the few forigners who go in them... i lived in Shanghai for a few years and have my landed imigrant papers for the PRC... and speak some Mandrin still - but Chong King is very good "round eye's" dining, and the Pink Pearl is a great place to hang, very cool vibe, not killer great food, but a great experince, always fun and an easy walk from Larrivee. i go there with friends for Dim Sum, i go to Chong King for biz lunch, and head out to the ditch (slang for Richmond as it's below sea level) for the real deal....
The publisher of Fretboard Journal calls Chong King the best Chinese resturant in the world... gotta admit the Tan Tan noodle soup is hard to beat.... veg too.
You'll love it here!
d.
My wife and I stayed at the Howard Johnson in 2001. Affordable and comfortable.
The entertainment that summer was to sit in the bar with open doors to the street and enjoy the action. It was so much fun the police came every 15 minutes to check on it. At that time there were a fair number of XXX shops but efforts were already underway to clean up the filth and move it out. Perhaps that has been done by now.
Quote from: prof_stack on March 03, 2009, 12:25:30 AM
My wife and I stayed at the Howard Johnson in 2001. Affordable and comfortable.
The entertainment that summer was to sit in the bar with open doors to the street and enjoy the action. It was so much fun the police came every 15 minutes to check on it. At that time there were a fair number of XXX shops but efforts were already underway to clean up the filth and move it out. Perhaps that has been done by now.
diffrent HoJ0.... i think you are refering to the one just off Granville downtown, and it's not much better, maybe worse. the HoJo RPM is looking at is the ol Biltmore at 12 & Kingsway
The block and half between Granville and Howe is a pretty large step strangely.... a good friend has condo across the street from the HoJo you were at... sitting on his roof top patio and looking down on al that is kinda sureal.. last summer i was up as his place and watched some one try to steal my truck down on Granvile street.. cal the poilce and they got there in seconds (while i was still on the phone), would be robber ran off... just another night on Granville
And a block away on Howe you would not really know any of this....
good fun!
d.
Quote from: dermot on March 03, 2009, 12:17:54 AM
If you have an extra lunch spot free Schzewan Chong King on Commerical drive & 12th is world class... a bit further from the Larrivee workshop tho...
The publisher of Fretboard Journal calls Chong King the best Chinese resturant in the world... gotta admit the Tan Tan noodle soup is hard to beat.... veg too.
You'll love it here!
d.
Amazing....this place is my absolute favourite Szechuan Chinese place too...yes, the tan tan noodle, the ginger beef, the lettuce wraps and on and on...uh, where's the phone....they do delivery, right?!
And how wonderful to hear they've received such an accolade from a respected culinary journal.
Mike
Oh, and having thus enthusiastically taken my turn to second Dermot's recommendation, I should mention that Szechuan Chonqing had also occurred to me as a suggestion for lunch. I chose to nominate the Pink Pearl because it's much closer to Larrivee, and somewhat less on the spicy side though that's avoidable at SC as well - the PP seems more likely to appeal to just about everyone. However, SC is really not far at all and would be easily accessible with the number of drivers we'll have on hand if we all wanna take a walk on the wild side (do, do do, do do...)
Whew. Need a break from contemplating these important decisions.
Mike
I never would have imagined that I'd have to travel to Canada to get the best Chinese / Szechuan food. I'm looking forward to every aspect of this trip including seeing the factory, seeing my guitar, exploring your fine city, playing with new friends and eating good food. Thanks for all the suggestions.
thanks Mike & d. for your lunch suggestions. Looking forward to PP & Schezuan place.
when we're in town, my family likes the Shabu-sen 2nd floor on Granville & W14th Av.
Great Tepanyaki place & generous portions of salmon & tuna sashimi for the adventurous
tastes / craving for Korean & Japanese food. Great for supper too all-u-can-eat.
I guess HOJO wasn't "breaking news" material huh? Miss those breaking news moments
when every spec or info was gold - always a step closer to turning a dream into reality.
NOTE: pardon the format - hard to type on iPhone.
ricky
Quote from: Randy_R on March 02, 2009, 06:16:51 PM
From Jim Holler:
John Jr. will be finding a place for lunch. We will each be responsible for paying for our own lunch.
I'm appreciative of all the joining in and recommendations, but if I read this right it says that "John Jr." is finding a place for lunch. I just wanted to point that out. We need all the hotel and restaurant etc. information that we can get.
Second on the hotel/restaurant info - I'm there for the guitar, wife is going for the vacation, so I am waiting for her to decide where she wants to stay - I'm hoping she'll book something soon.
Tad
Quote from: dependan on March 03, 2009, 08:05:59 AM
I'm appreciative of all the joining in and recommendations, but if I read this right it says that "John Jr." is finding a place for lunch. I just wanted to point that out. We need all the hotel and restaurant etc. information that we can get.
Absolutely. Which was why I first mentioned the Pink Pearl as a suggestion which could be relayed to John. I think we all want him focused as much as possible on making our guitars, and less distracted by other....distractions.
Mike :cheers
I didn't know Howard Johnsons was still in business....I have not seen one in decades...
Quote from: tadol on March 03, 2009, 11:54:07 AM
Second on the hotel/restaurant info - I'm there for the guitar, wife is going for the vacation, so I am waiting for her to decide where she wants to stay - I'm hoping she'll book something soon.
Tad
Tad let me know when you book a hotel because we will try and stay where you are on Monday for easy link up.
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on March 03, 2009, 03:11:23 PM
Absolutely. Which was why I first mentioned the Pink Pearl as a suggestion which could be relayed to John. I think we all want him focused as much as possible on making our guitars, and less distracted by other....distractions.
Mike :cheers
Thanks for helping Mike, I didn't know if y'all had seen the other post.
OK, first to clarify, I haven't followed this thread at all and haven't taken the time to read all the posts, but heard that there might be a jam :guitar Is there a definite schedule yet? If I were to come and meet all you guys and gals (the main reason for going), then I would be coming over in the morning on the ferry from Vancouver Island. Realistically, I don't think I could make it downtown until about noon or so (connecting ferries and buses). I would probably have to leave around 5pm to catch the ferry back to Vancouver Island and then the last ferry to Denman Island (unless one of you kind souls would let me crash on a floor :wink:) Since I won't be picking up a guitar, I could bring either my Eichelbaum or Martin (that's sitting in customs in Vancouver as we speak). It would be a long day just to go on the tour and meet all of you, but I've been on this board for quite a while now and would like the chance to meet some of you. With just buying a new guitar, I would really be pushing it to rent a room for the night on top of the travel expenses. This morning has been the first time I've thought of it and just wanted to throw this out and find out the details.
Is anyone bringing a guitar or 2 with them. I'd love the chance to play a SD-50 or 000-50. Might be a good way for people to try different models
John
Quote from: Johnny M on March 04, 2009, 03:09:21 PM
Is anyone bringing a guitar or 2 with them. I'd love the chance to play a SD-50 or 000-50. Might be a good way for people to try different models
John
John, I have a cool guitar being held for me at Larrivee for the visit. An LV03, no pick up, in silver oak. They agreed to keep it there for me until after the trip. So that will be available for us to jam on. Larrivee will ship it to my studio after we leave. I will ask my daughter Megan if I can take the guitar we built together as well.
Jim Holler
Quote from: Johnny M on March 04, 2009, 03:09:21 PM
OK, first to clarify, I haven't followed this thread at all and haven't taken the time to read all the posts, but heard that there might be a jam :guitar Is there a definite schedule yet?
John
John (and everyone):
I've offered to host a jam at my place in East Van near Renfrew and 1st Avenue on Monday night. There was also talk of doing it in a hotel lounge or meeting room of some sort, but with time running somewhat short I think it's time to formalize the offer, and express my preference for a home environment as well (especially if it's my own heh heh).
If 15 or 20 of us end up showing up it will be cozy, but I trust you'll all have bathed reasonably recently.
Jamming rules: check your ego at the door, be supportive and everyone gets to participate. Simple enough?
(Ego is not a problem in my case since I'm a semi-intermediate player in front of non-musicians and a star-struck neophyte in front of real guitarists. FYI, saxophone is my first instrument, and I may be tempted to pull one out at some point.)
Time will be TBA but probably early evening onwards ie 7 pm-ish, though that's quite flexible....there could be a mad rush over after the tour if our guitars are ready.
I'll give out my address at the tour.
Cheers, Mike
Quote from: Johnny M on March 04, 2009, 03:09:21 PM
Is anyone bringing a guitar or 2 with them. I'd love the chance to play a SD-50 or 000-50. Might be a good way for people to try different models
John
Johnny;
i have a pair of 12 fret D's you can try, one in sitka/mahog, and one in sitka/irw.. but both are Martin's... i was bringing them to Mike's jam (unless the new guitars are ready)
Ta,
d.
Mike, thanks for stepping up. I think it is time that we all discuss the schedule.
Jim do you have info. on the tour time? Also a few of us will be around Friday, Sat, and Sun. My wife an I will be there on Thurs. and will link up with Dermot at about noon or so.
So any other Ideas for the days before?
I will be visiting friends in Vancouver for part of our time. And I know my wife wants to site see a bit.
I think Sunday afternoon is a good time to try and plan a "git"together or other times as well.
This thread does have some other Ideas in it. If I can find time, or if someone else wants to we could dig out the suggestions and list them.
So post some Ideas folks.
Danny
I won't be flying in until Sunday early evening so I won't be able to indulge in any of the festivities you may be planning for the weekend. Monday though, I would really like to get together with all who managed to make the trip and you local guys and do the jam thing. Mike, I'd love to take you up on the offer of hosting a jam at your place. I'd really like to try out a couple of your guitars. I don't expect that I will be able to take my forum III home with me but it would be so cool if that worked out. If the get-together ends up happening at some local watering hole or hotel that's ok too. Informal living room jams are the best I think. Don't worry, I'm leaving my ego at home where it belongs. I'm almost embarassed to let you guys see just how inept I really am but, hey, we will be among friends.
I can't wait to meet you all and, of course, to see the forum III's in person.
Also... a word of caution to those who will be meeting Danny earlier in the weekend. Be very careful. The guy will worm his way into your heart before you have a chance to defend yourself. :bgrin:
tuffythepug
In my opinion, some must do / must see places in the Greater Vancouver Area:
Granville Island - closes at 5-6pm; fresh market setting, by the inlet, very colorful place
Grouse Grind - for those looking for gruelling physical challenge; 2.9 Km of hiking up the Grouse Mountain - take Gondola lift down - budget half-day.
Commercial Street - culturally rich area; lots of shops & interesting places to eat; featuring "Belgian Fries" - was rated one of Vancouver's best.
Shopping for the ladies - West 4th Avenue.
Stanley Park
Queen Elizabeth Park
Skytrain Ride - end-to-end including Sea Bus to the North Shore - check out Lonsdale Quay.
Capilano Bridge - but pricey; another suspension bridge is Lynn Valley Canyon (not to be confused with the other more famous "Lynn" here - as in a certain T the P)
or maybe it was named after him?
Bubble Tea at Dragon Ball (this drink is a cultural experience).
China Town.
We'll run out of time before we run out of things / placed to do / see.
ricky
Beth & I fly in Friday morning and drive to Portland - to do our favorite Canadian past-time --- "cross-border shopping". Yipee...
Gotta check out guitar shops along the way of course - anyone know where I can get K&K PWM along the way for dirt cheap? ( I need 2 or 3 ).
Anyways, then likely back to Vancouver sometime Saturday. Chillin' Sunday.
ricky
Important (Friendly) Reminder:
Sorry, if I come across like a parent reminding everyone.
Check with your cell phone provider what roaming charges are - you may want to get a 1-time package to cover you while in Vancouver.
I had to purchase a "Florida" and "Seattle" bundle when I visited there - to spare me of hefty charges.
ricky
I'm open Saturday all day (unless Ricky has other plans) and Sunday afternoon onwards. As for my cell phone, won't have to worry about that because I will sit in Starbucks and use the WiFi with my new iPod Touch to email the husband. Paid a ton of roaming charges when I was in Boston last summer. Lesson learned! :crying:
Let me know if folks want to get together to do the tourist thing or not. I am ok on my own, but would really love to spend some time with you guys. Many thanks,
Lynda
Just wanted to pass along for others who may be interested. Got an amazing deal off of Hotwire for Coast Plaza Hotel which is also where Tuffy is staying. See Lynn, you started a trend. :roll
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 04, 2009, 09:59:21 PM
Just wanted to pass along for others who may be interested. Got an amazing deal off of Hotwire for Coast Plaza Hotel which is also where Tuffy is staying. See Lynn, you started a trend. :roll
Ha, never been a trendsetter before. Sounds like a lot of responsibility :bgrin:
If it is possible, pics of the jam and a few audio recordings would be great to see and hear for those not on the trip. And great memories for those that are!
Thx,
Al
Quote from: ARK on March 05, 2009, 12:08:40 AM
If it is possible, pics of the jam and a few audio recordings would be great to see and hear for those not on the trip. And great memories for those that are!
Thx,
Al
Al
I'm sure that there will be plenty of pictures taken of the whole trip. As far as audio, I will be taking my portable H2 digital recorder to capture magic moments at the jam. If someone was able to bring a camcorder we could have the best of both worlds. I don't have one though. Perhaps someone else could bring one along. Watch for the cd "Forum III band live at Southpaw's" sometime in April :roll
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 05, 2009, 01:47:21 AM
Al
I'm sure that there will be plenty of pictures taken of the whole trip. As far as audio, I will be taking my portable H2 digital recorder to capture magic moments at the jam. If someone was able to bring a camcorder we could have the best of both worlds. I don't have one though. Perhaps someone else could bring one along. Watch for the cd "Forum III band live at Southpaw's" sometime in April :roll
Lynn I'm glad you are bringing your digital recorder. I'd like to try and do one song to put up somewhere, so I can say I've done it.
It would be great if I could play it on my own F-III, but who knows.
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 05, 2009, 01:47:21 AM
Al
Watch for the cd "Forum III band live at Southpaw's" sometime in April :roll
Great CD title -- I'll be looking for it! And a video clip of jamming FIIIs would be a great addition to the Larrivee website!!
Al
So... Do we have a final count or updated list of folks attending. I want to make sure I bring enough Forum III hats for everone who will be there that has ordered a guitar.
Thanks Jim
Jim
This list is current as of today...
update
This is who we think is going as of 3/05/09 please update or correct only on this thread, thanks
1. Jim H Trinity Guitars (PROBABLY ALREADY HAS A HAT) :bgrin:
2. Danny dependan
3. Ricky rpm60912 (ALREAY HAS A HAT)
4 dermot and Eva *d. has offered to help folks in Vancouver
5. John Johnny37
6. Lynda lyricgirl
7. Lynn Tuffy the pug
8. Tad Tadol *Plus our three wives (Tad, ricky and me) but not for the tour
9. Jordan Jagidas
10. Mike Vancouver Southpaw
11. Mike's local guitarist friend
12. Mark Larrivee4me
13. Michael mrkillick
14. Matt Photomat *Matt has offered hospitality in Lynnwood Wa. just north of Seattle and a Drive up Monday AM.
15. Norm prof_stack *is unlikely, (but we're hoping anyway)
16. Darren dazdarren Darren is conflicted ;-)
17. and 18. Two Guests of Matt,(Photomat) are also coming DaveG and K20C
*Joseph Bluesman67 is checking into coming (doubtful at this point)
(possibly a surprise visit from Jean) (HE MIGHT LIKE A HAT TOO) :roll
Jim, I hope this helps. Danny started this list and has been updating it all along.
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on March 06, 2009, 08:34:35 AM
So... Do we have a final count or updated list of folks attending. I want to make sure I bring enough Forum III hats for everyone who will be there that has ordered a guitar.
Thanks Jim
Thanks Tuffy.
Jim, here is a link to a thread that updates and that Tuffy copied from.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=25641.0
"Vancouver tour list of attendee's"
Also we are wondering about the schedule of the tour day. I think we need an update from you if you know anything at all. We are e-mailing and trying to hodge podge some things together and that may be the best we can all hope for, but we could use "any" clearly scheduled information , if any is available. If not we'll make it work.
After all most of us are itinerant poets, panhandlers, buskers, PHD's and some of us can dance (not me). So we'll be sure to have lot's of fun is the point.
Danny
How about at least just a time and location for the initial meet up on the morning of the 16th? Will it be at the Larrivee shop?
Quote from: Randy_R on February 13, 2009, 04:50:03 PM
news from Jim Holler:
I just spoke to John Jr Larrivee. He will be emailing some info to me about hotels and a place for us to grab some lunch. I will be staying with him and will be at the Larrivee shop in the morning when he heads there. I think a plan to gather at 10 Am for a meet and greet. see some of the forum guitars and then grab lunch. After lunch go on the tour of the shop.
This was the only post about March 16th as far as a "plan"
The donut detail will deliver early unless we are told not to, it seems to make good sense to provide them first thing for the employees.
The other details are still in a sketch form. After the tour all have expressed a desire to have a Jam together. Vancouver Southpaw's is one likely destination. Just stay tuned and anyone that has some solid info or helpful suggestions needs to just post it here and we can all discuss it.
Danny
I know I posted this once already but I cannot find it any place on the forum. :? So I may have just thought I posted it or dreamed I posted it. Anyway here is the plan for the day of March 16th
10 AM Informal meeting at the Larrivee shop. Meet John Jr and each other.
Get your Trinity Guitars Forum III hat. This alone makes the trip worth it!
Noon Lunch Dutch treat at a place John Jr. is picking.
1 pm or so return to the Shop for a tour. I expect this to be all afternoon.
Get our guitars!!!! :nice guitar: I am hoping still no official word.
6PM regroup for dinner and a jam session. Here is where we need the help of the locals. Can someone step up and pick a spot for this. Clearly we are gong to want to linger in the night. :beer :guitar Don't forget your tuners , capos, picks and outher necessary tools for the jam. For me that is the cheat sheets so i can remember the words.
Jim Holler
One week today! I assume I'm not the only one counting? :roll
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on March 09, 2009, 08:13:21 AM
I know I posted this once already but I cannot find it any place on the forum. :? So I may have just thought I posted it or dreamed I posted it. Anyway here is the plan for the day of March 16th
10 AM Informal meeting at the Larrivee shop. Meet John Jr and each other.
Get your Trinity Guitars Forum III hat. This alone makes the trip worth it!
Noon Lunch Dutch treat at a place John Jr. is picking.
1 pm or so return to the Shop for a tour. I expect this to be all afternoon.
Get our guitars!!!! :nice guitar: I am hoping still no official word.
6PM regroup for dinner and a jam session. Here is where we need the help of the locals. Can someone step up and pick a spot for this. Clearly we are gong to want to linger in the night. :beer :guitar Don't forget your tuners , capos, picks and other necessary tools for the jam. For me that is the cheat sheets so i can remember the words.
Jim Holler
YES and thank you Jim. Somehow I just feel a whole lot better right now :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on March 09, 2009, 08:13:21 AM
I know I posted this once already but I cannot find it any place on the forum. :? So I may have just thought I posted it or dreamed I posted it. Anyway here is the plan for the day of March 16th
10 AM Informal meeting at the Larrivee shop. Meet John Jr and each other.
Get your Trinity Guitars Forum III hat. This alone makes the trip worth it!
Noon Lunch Dutch treat at a place John Jr. is picking.
1 pm or so return to the Shop for a tour. I expect this to be all afternoon.
Get our guitars!!!! :nice guitar: I am hoping still no official word.
6PM regroup for dinner and a jam session. Here is where we need the help of the locals. Can someone step up and pick a spot for this. Clearly we are gong to want to linger in the night. :beer :guitar Don't forget your tuners , capos, picks and outher necessary tools for the jam. For me that is the cheat sheets so i can remember the words.
Jim Holler
You did post something similiar before, Jim.
And I have now twice posted an invitation to have the jam at my place, and also mentioned it in a private email to you.
I "stepped up" quite some time ago. This is getting kind of weird.
Mike
I have no problem meeting at your place - Could you PM me your address, so we can google it and see where we are going? I hope we are going to be 20 to 30 strong, maybe picking up a few players from the factory, and maybe a few friends of friends. I assume we'll do this Monday night hoping we'll be playing new gits?
We will also need directions to a local warehouse-style store where we can stock up supplies - sodas/beers/chips/hors-duerves.
Am I forgetting anything?
Tad
Yikes - if we get to 30 people plus instruments, that could be a little much for my modest living room!
Might as well post address here - 2865 Grant St, Vancouver.
Mike
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on March 09, 2009, 03:27:58 PM
You did post something similiar before, Jim.
And I have now twice posted an invitation to have the jam at my place, and also mentioned it in a private email to you.
I "stepped up" quite some time ago. This is getting kind of weird.
Mike
Mike
I think that the jam at your place is pretty much a given as far as I'm concerned. Some folks may be still under the impression that a local establishment could be convinced to let us use their place for an "open mic' type arrangement but I don't think it's practical at this point. If you can handle this bunch at your home then I'm all for just declaring this to be the spot. Jim mentioned going somewhere for dinner as a group.
Jim mentioned going somewhere for dinner as a group. How does everyone feel about that suggestion ?
I am willing to go along with the general consensus on ths. As I see it we have a couple of options;
A. Go somewhere around 6:00pm for dinner and discussion of the day's events and then going to Mike's for a Jam or
B: Just go to Mikes around 6:00 pm and take snack stuff, or pizza, or whatever with us.If there are other ideas we need to get them aired an decided upon soon. I'm sure that Mike would like to have some confirmation as to what the group's plan will be so he can be prepared for such a large group to invade his home. :bgrin:
Mike, I appreciate your willingness to have us at your home. It's very generous of you. What do you think about the two choices I outlined above. ? If a group of 20 to 30 would be a little too much for your place then we need to pick some alternative.
Worst case scenario: We all squeeze into my hotel room :roll
In the midst of all this planning and joy I'm sad I won't be there!
Booked the hotel at OSU for next weekend. So I'm out.
Someone play Leo Kottke's "The Fisherman" for me at the jam, okay? :cheers
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 09, 2009, 04:13:13 PM
Mike
I think that the jam at your place is pretty much a given as far as I'm concerned. Some folks may be still under the impression that a local establishment could be convinced to let us use their place for an "open mic' type arrangement but I don't think it's practical at this point. If you can handle this bunch at your home then I'm all for just declaring this to be the spot. Jim mentioned going somewhere for dinner as a group.
Jim mentioned going somewhere for dinner as a group. How does everyone feel about that suggestion ?
I am willing to go along with the general consensus on ths. As I see it we have a couple of options;
A. Go somewhere around 6:00pm for dinner and discussion of the day's events and then going to Mike's for a Jam
or
B: Just go to Mikes around 6:00 pm and take snack stuff, or pizza, or whatever with us.
If there are other ideas we need to get them aired an decided upon soon. I'm sure that Mike would like to have some confirmation as to what the group's plan will be so he can be prepared for such a large group to invade his home. :bgrin:
Mike, I appreciate your willingness to have us at your home. It's very generous of you. What do you think about the two choices I outlined above. ? If a group of 20 to 30 would be a little too much for your place then we need to pick some alternative.
Worst case scenario: We all squeeze into my hotel room :roll
Thanks, Lynn. How big is your hotel room?!
I'm OK with either of the options you presented above involving my place.
30 people would be a stretch for my living room - it would be impossible to get that many people into a circle of any sort - but not too much for the house overall. However, 30 seems like an unlikely maximum number of players or even total attendees given the current tour list.
It could be pretty cozy! In a good way, hopefully...
Mike
Hey Mike,
Sounds good to me... Mike's jam....
If we don't do Chinese at lunch, hows about Chongquing for dinner?
;-)
d.
Mike,
Thanks so much for offering your place. I'd have to look up Grant street - but you did mention in the vicinity of 1st Av and Renfrew? I'm familiar with the area.
I sure hope to connect with my fellow Vancouverites (dermot & you) - though I live in Edmonton now, I left my heart in Vancouver.
Okay... enough reminiscing or I'll weep :crying: it already warmed up here today, just -25 Celsius, it was -27 earlier and above freezing in VanCity. :+1:
As for Tuffy's suggestion for dinner... I'm open for anything but going somewhere for din-din would likely get us done and at your place to jam around 9-ish?
Are you working early the next day? That would make for a late night.
Are we all in a party mood --- I wonder? as in are we okay for a late night? My flight back is not until late Tuesday night.
So, I'm pretty cool with just about anything the group desires to do.
Yipee !!! I'm going to Disneyland (Larrivee Factory) and in my opinion, the most beautiful city in the whole world - Vancouver, BC. :nana_guitar :nanadance
ricky
How about pizza for dinner? This way, we all get to the jam at a decent hour and can order whenever. Just my thoughts.
In response to various posts....
Yes, I'm near 1st and Renfrew.
I like Dermot's suggestion of Szechuan Chonqing for dinner, but am quite flexible. They're incredibly efficient, so it wouldn't drag on for hours.
It seems likely there'll be a bit of down time after the tour - can't see it lasting more than 2-3 hours. My place could be open from after the tour onwards.
One thing: you do not want to leave guitars in a vehicle in Vancouver if they are in any way visible. This is common sense, and would apply in any big city. If the group ends up going out for dinner, people will be welcome to stash their instruments at my place in advance. And Dermot, if you're bringing a few right-handed instruments down in the morning you're welcome to stop by my place and drop 'em off.
No worries here about starting or finishing times - we can go as late as we want.
And a note to Jim (if you're reading these)....IF our guitars are actually going to be ready, how about bringing bone saddles for the Canadian drop-shippers. I'm sure Larrivee could find some bench space for you...just dreaming out loud. The hats are nice but I'd rather have the saddle!
Mike
It is so good to see all this communication at last... I mean more joining in. Mike I'll hook up with you well before Monday and maybe we could see about renting some folding chairs and just do some logistical planning. If we do have 30 we may need to find a warehouse (hmmm maybe Larrivee's)
This will all work out, we got this far, so the rest should be downhill. :guitar
Danny
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on March 09, 2009, 07:12:59 PMAnd a note to Jim (if you're reading these)....IF our guitars are actually going to be ready, how about bringing bone saddles for the Canadian drop-shippers. I'm sure Larrivee could find some bench space for you...just dreaming out loud. The hats are nice but I'd rather have the saddle!
Mike
If Jim H is able to do that for us north of the border, that would be so sweet - even if we get our local luthiers or techys to install the gift bone saddle upgrades on our own. But then, if he does it for some, other Canadian FG III owners will have to be sent one; that may be logistically difficult for Jim H - though it's possible nonetheless. :thumb
I myself am curious enough to have a 'listen test' between tusq vs. bone.
As for dinner arrangements, I think the majority would be flexible - take-out pizza or Chongquing.
Good to know there's flexibility too with going late into the night.
ricky
Its getting close to the time for those taking long weekends to start travelling...
So have fun everybody. I wish I could be there with you.
Let Jim Holler, John Larriveee (and Jean if there) and all the employees know how much we appreciate them.
Can I just make one point about dinner? I think everybody who is going to be there needs to be consulted on where/how/what? For instance, if you guys were ordering Asian then I would be out. Then again, I'm only one person out of how many? Just speaking out loud. It's the full moon tonight and my day has been hell so far. Hopefully, it will get better, but I'm not expecting it to.
Just thinking out loud.
Hey Ricky- good idea about the comparison of saddle material. I always put a bone one on, reading & hearing that in comparison tests, the bone is tonally better. Hard to tell. Never switched them back & forth. Please let me know what you think. Jim's putting a bone nut on mine , so if the bone does sound better, which I think it should, I'll just have him do the saddle also. I'll ask him to send the Tusq one along with the git, something I always forget to ask my luthier to do: Save the Tusq for me !
Also, does anyone think the Tusq bridge pins are worth the $ ? Do they make a noticible difference ?
Have fun on the trip !
Thanks. :thumb
Jeff :guitar
Quote from: Randy_R on March 10, 2009, 11:17:26 AM
Its getting close to the time for those taking long weekends to start travelling...
So have fun everybody. I wish I could be there with you.
Let Jim Holler, John Larriveee (and Jean if there) and all the employees know how much we appreciate them.
Randy we could put a card together in Vancouver expressing this appreciation and give it to John from the forum as well.
Danny
Quote from: dependan on March 10, 2009, 12:34:19 PM
Randy we could put a card together in Vancouver expressing this appreciation and give it to John from the forum as well.
Danny
Sounds good amigo.
Quote from: dependan on March 09, 2009, 10:12:13 PM
It is so good to see all this communication at last... I mean more joining in. Mike I'll hook up with you well before Monday and maybe we could see about renting some folding chairs and just do some logistical planning. If we do have 30 we may need to find a warehouse (hmmm maybe Larrivee's)
This will all work out, we got this far, so the rest should be downhill. :guitar
Danny
Good thinking about the folding chairs, however I think between what I've got here and can borrow from a friend in the neighbourhood, we should be OK if it's at my place.
Mike
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on March 10, 2009, 03:09:11 PM
Good thinking about the folding chairs, however I think between what I've got here and can borrow from a friend in the neighbourhood, we should be OK if it's at my place.
Mike
They'res always the floor too!
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 10, 2009, 03:51:24 PM
They'res always the floor too!
You must be a young-in, If I get on the floor I need help getting up. :laughin:
Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 10, 2009, 04:15:17 PM
You must be a young-in, If I get on the floor I need help getting up. :laughin:
Roger,
I don't consider almost 47 to be a young-in. However, I do sit on the floor quite a lot. :bgrin:
Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 10, 2009, 04:15:17 PM
You must be a young-in, If I get on the floor I need help getting up. :laughin:
Should we have the St. John's Ambulance people standing by for this event? :whistling:
Hey guys, I won't be joining you all. Air Canada told me to take my $809 and go screw, I'm not surprised though. I will be with you all in spirit. Raise those thundermugs so high and make a toast to those that wanted to join you. This would have been one of the coolest things to do and I am envious!
Folks, I just spoke to John Jr at Larrivee. His dad , Jean, has returned from Europe and is signing the labels. Still no official word but it sure is looking good to have some guitars completed soon.
John also told me that the inventory of guitars at the BC plant has grown to high. They have had to make the decision to take some down time in the shop. This is not a lay off and no one has lost there job. The group agreed to move some of their vacation shut down time to next week. Yes when we will be there. As I am sure you were, I was looking forward to meeting the people in the photos. There will still be some people working but not the entire plant. John was apologetic for this but to keep the Larrivee Guitar company strong it is a decision that he had to make. I can only imagine the challenges that Larrivee is facing in this economic time.
We will still have a great time, see the shop, meet each other and play some tunes. I am very hopefull that we will be strumming and loving our new Forum III guitars.
Jim Holler
Jim
News about Jean signing the labels and the guitars nearing completion is very good news indeed. The fact that some of the builders will not be on hand when we are there is dissapointing for sure. I guess we will need fewer donuts. :whistling:
Thanks for the update. Do you think there is a chance we will get to meet Jean himself on the tour ?
Well I called Matthew Larrivee and asked him about how many employees would be in the factory. He said about 22 on the floor plus the office girls, so about 28 total. So there will still be many to meet hopefully.(and to feed with donuts and pastries)
Matthew also said that there is a major show in Germany about three times larger than NAMN, therefore Jean will probably have to be there, though he would enjoy being with us.
He also said there were two places he missed in Vancouver, as far as stores, one is TIM HORTONS the other is NEW YORK DELI (I think) anyway they make some great french fries called New York Fries. He also said there are some really great fries that are covered in gravy with cheese curds called "Poutine" it sounded good to me. I think that is sold in ''The Pacific" in the malls. I'm sure some of ya'll will correct me if this is wrong.
Sorry about the Jean news, but who knows he could still surprise us.
Danny
Quote from: dependan on March 10, 2009, 08:08:00 PM
He also said there are some really great fries that are covered in gravy with cheese curds called "Poutine" it sounded good to me. I think that is sold in ''The Pacific" in the malls. I'm sure some of ya'll will correct me if this is wrong.
Danny
Danny,
Repeat after me, you do not want poutine. It is gross! It is a french (no offence meant) recipe and it's just...ick. :yak:
Yum. This is poutine. 1000 calories per spoonful...
Jordan.
[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 10, 2009, 09:06:00 PM
Danny,
Repeat after me, you do not want poutine. It is gross! It is a french (no offence meant) recipe and it's just...ick. :yak:
Well Matthew and I talked quite a bit about it and I like gravy on potatoes and cheese curd sounds fine to me. Lynda I grew up on a little farm in the Ozarks and we ate stuff like this. EVERYTHING gets smothered in gravy where I'm from. And we drank lots of thick fresh milk (right from the cow) What we called buttermilk was very sweet and thick almost like a milkshake.
Anyway the point is I will try it and I bet I will like it. No french in me though just Irish, Scott,English and hillbilly Texan. (Man I could get arrested just for being me)
I just saw the picture, that makes my mouth water, I better go milk the cow.
Danny
I'm sorry to hear about the build-up of inventory at the factory - Perhaps the Forum might be able to help with an emergency buy-in of some of that? Maybe we can bring some pics and prices back - :bgrin:
Tad
Quote from: tadol on March 10, 2009, 10:46:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the build-up of inventory at the factory - Perhaps the Forum might be able to help with an emergency buy-in of some of that? Maybe we can bring some pics and prices back - :bgrin:
Tad
Sounds like a plan
I'm afraid I won't be able to make it to Vancouver next week. I've been sitting on the fence due to schedule conflicts and while those are resolved I'm having trouble justifying the travel expense in the current economy.
I'm looking forward to hearing the stories and seeing the pics from the event. Have fun everyone. For the non-Canucks I'd suggest trying some poutine, even if just a taste. A trip to Tim Hortons for a donut and coffee or soup and sandwich is a must do. Oh and for the salty snack lovers like me...try some Hawkins Cheezies.
Sorry to hear about the production slow down at Larrivee. Seems like no one is insulated from the economic downturn. Do we know if this will delay completion of the FGIIIs?
As far along as the F-III's have gotten I doubt that this slows them down much if any. Matthew said 22 are still on the shop floor, ( although that fluctuates).
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 10, 2009, 09:06:00 PM
Danny,
Repeat after me, you do not want poutine. It is gross! It is a french (no offence meant) recipe and it's just...ick. :yak:
Lynda,
First of all, I want to thank Jordan for the mouth watering exhibit A of The Poutine. I may be Filipino by culture, but I have some Newfie in me...by osmosis. :humour:
Imagine this my friend(s), put a dash of crude crystals of sea salt, now smother the gravy with some dark brown malt vinegar...
are your jaws & cheeks getting any cramps yet? My salivary glands are secreting wonderful juicy enzymes I had to swallow just now typing this... and it's 2:55am.
Now wash it down with an ice cold green concoction Jim Holler is recommending on St. Patrick's for the iRish flavouR... you gotta roll your RRR on that one. :roll
I can't wait to go to Belgian Fries on Commercial Street for their poutine. They cut their potatoes fresh daily.
Danny, it's rated by the local newspapers as "The Best Poutine outside of Montreal." I'll have to take you and Bonnie there - on me and Beth!
ricky... now please, get your greasy hands off of my FG III. :humour: Life is so good! I love the variety of foods and guitars. :nana_guitar
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 10, 2009, 09:06:00 PM
Repeat after me, you do not want poutine. It is gross! It is a french (no offence meant) recipe and it's just...ick. :yak:
You're too funny...
No chinese...no french fries with gravy.....what's left to eat?
Ricky,
You can have all the poutine you want, but know that stuff clogs your arteries! :roll
Quote from: Dotneck on March 11, 2009, 07:16:06 AM
You're too funny...
No chinese...no french fries with gravy.....what's left to eat?
Give the poor girl a break. She's from Toronto, and with their sports teams all they get to eat is humble pie.
Quote from: Dotneck on March 11, 2009, 07:16:06 AM
You're too funny...
No chinese...no french fries with gravy.....what's left to eat?
[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on March 11, 2009, 01:04:05 PM
Give the poor girl a break. She's from Toronto, and with their sports teams all they get to eat is humble pie.
Ok now. First of all, I live in the burbs of toronto. Second of all, I'm no fan of the Maple Laffs or the Blow Jays. The only organized sports I like are football e.g. soccer for us North Americans and yes, the Toronto FC suck too! My soccer teams are Man United and when World Cup is on England and The Netherlands. :humour:
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 11, 2009, 01:35:06 PM
Ok now. First of all, I live in the burbs of toronto. Second of all, I'm no fan of the Maple Laffs or the Blow Jays. The only organized sports I like are football e.g. soccer for us North Americans and yes, the Toronto FC suck too! My soccer teams are Man United and when World Cup is on England and The Netherlands. :humour:
How about the Toronto Bills? You nice Canadians are taking our team!
Jim Holler
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on March 11, 2009, 01:50:04 PM
How about the Toronto Bills? You nice Canadians are taking our team!
Jim Holler
Jim,
I highly doubt that, unless they'res something I don't know about. The Blue Jays haven't won since 1995 and lets not talk about The Leafs... I was five years old the last time they lifted the cup. Toronto is NOT a good place for a sports franchise.
OK, I am starting to think packing. I leave Friday afternoon. I will spend the day Saturday with my daughter snow shooing on Mt Rainer. Sunday afternoon we will drive to BC. I will have my cell phone so if you are in town give me a call.
Jim Holler
I guess many of you will be setting out on your adventures to Vancouver over the next day or two. I hope you all have an absolute blast. If #108549 is sitting finished in the factory, someone grab it and strum it and post on here how awesome it sounds. I really cannot wait.
Have a great time everyone!! :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :cheers
Ben, you will be with me in spirit! :smile:
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 11, 2009, 07:17:47 PM
Ben, you will be with me in spirit! :smile:
:thumbsup Thanks Lynda :smile:
BEnF... I happen to be close by so I stopped into the Vancouver Shop. Happened to see that number sitting there and did, by chance, pick it up and gave it a good strum. All due respect, but I think you'll be sorely disappointed with the sound :blush: :whistling: :blush:
So... to save you the shame... I'll take the embarrassment for you and take it home :wink: :doh :wink:
Quote from: Trinity Guitars on March 11, 2009, 02:53:37 PM
OK, I am starting to think packing. I leave Friday afternoon. I will spend the day Saturday with my daughter snow shooing on Mt Rainer. Sunday afternoon we will drive to BC. I will have my cell phone so if you are in town give me a call.
Jim Holler
My wife and I are in Washington tonight and Thursday we will be in Vancouver.
Danny
Quote from: BenF on March 11, 2009, 06:52:49 PM
I guess many of you will be setting out on your adventures to Vancouver over the next day or two. I hope you all have an absolute blast. If #108549 is sitting finished in the factory, someone grab it and strum it and post on here how awesome it sounds. I really cannot wait.
Have a great time everyone!! :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :cheers
I'm pretty sure I saw your number hanging on the rack waiting for the satin spray. It was the only one with a serial number written on the masking material on the fretboard. If I see it next week I'll give it a friendly little pat on the back for you and send it on it's way home.
OK... I don't know about the rest of you guys (and girls) but this is one of the most exciting things I've ever been a part of. The good will generated over the past few months has truly been remarkable. I never, in a million years, would have dreamed somethng like this could happen where so many people who have never even met each other could bond over a very special guitar. I feel fortunate to have been a part of it and, in a small way, been allowed into each of your lives. Better yet, to have had the chance to have you in mine.
Quote from: Dale_I on March 12, 2009, 01:08:44 AM
BEnF... I happen to be close by so I stopped into the Vancouver Shop. Happened to see that number sitting there and did, by chance, pick it up and gave it a good strum. All due respect, but I think you'll be sorely disappointed with the sound :blush: :whistling: :blush:
So... to save you the shame... I'll take the embarrassment for you and take it home :wink: :doh :wink:
Nice try! But even if it played and sounded like an Esteban (I know that is an impossibility before someone attacks me for it), I would just hang it on the wall and look at it all the time because it is just so darn pretty. :bgrin:
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 12, 2009, 03:14:38 AM
OK... I don't know about the rest of you guys (and girls) but this is one of the most exciting things I've ever been a part of. The good will generated over the past few months has truly been remarkable. I never, in a million years, would have dreamed somethng like this could happen where so many people who have never even met each other could bond over a very special guitar. I feel fortunate to have been a part of it and, in a small way, been allowed into each of your lives. Better yet, to have had the chance to have you in mine.
:+1: - you have a good way with words Tuffy. I'll second all you say.
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 12, 2009, 03:14:38 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw your number hanging on the rack waiting for the satin spray. It was the only one with a serial number written on the masking material on the fretboard. If I see it next week I'll give it a friendly little pat on the back for you and send it on it's way home.
Disappointingly that one is 108495, not 549. I thought for a minute I had ordered a whole hog.
Lynn,
Very well said. And for those of us who are making the pilgrimage to Vancouver, I am sure we will have the opportunity to learn more about each other and bond further. Not meaning to cause any ill will to those not joining us by the way.
One of the best experiences of my life so far was travelling to Boston and meeting fellow REM fans and enjoying a show with some of them. Bonding with a group of people with common interests is a great thing.
It's Thursday and we are fixin to go to the train station in Edmonds with a stop for :coffee on the way. Matt is going to meet us there for a brief visit.
Next stop Vancity and Dermot.
Danny
Quote from: dependan on March 12, 2009, 09:10:43 AM
It's Thursday and we are fixin to go to the train station in Edmonds with a stop for :coffee on the way. Matt is going to meet us there for a brief visit.
Next stop Vancity and Dermot.
Danny
Danny,
Hope you have a good trip. No peaking at Larrivee now! :humour:
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 12, 2009, 09:32:29 AM
Danny,
Hope you have a good trip. No peaking at Larrivee now! :humour:
Ya I second that no peaking. But if you cannot resist than a report is required!
This is so cool!!!!!
Jim Holler
On my way to the train station now...
;-)
d.
Quote from: dermot on March 12, 2009, 01:45:22 PM
On my way to the train station now...
;-)
d.
I could not pass up an opportunity to meet a forum member, so I went down to the train station (less than 1 mile away!) and met with Danny and Bonnie. They are a great couple and it is a fantastic day for a train ride up north. It was great meeting you both and enjoy the Forum III picks when your hands warm up.
It will be great to meet others on Monday!
It was "cool" in more ways than one this A.M. when the station wasn't open yet and we stood outside in some chilly air. But it was even more cool to meet Matt and try to play a tune or two.
The ride up was perfect. That train is the way to go. A sunny day and great scenery. Then Dermot met us at the other end and we went to Grandville Island for some great fish and chips and some fun sharing about his Irish background and lot's of very interesting events and turns in his life. He really could write a book that would be a great read.
d. lent me his Dave Webber git, it reminds me a lot of an LSV-11. RW/Cedar. Webber used to work for Larrivee and it shows in this git. It feels and looks like a high end Larrivee. The sound is a bit different.
Well we are at some friends here in Vancity now and have a big BLACK car (yuck) But it can hold a lot of folks and get us around. Just don't mistake me for the Texas Mafia :winkin:
Danny
I'm meeting with my lawyer this morning in advance of our house closing next Friday and off to the airport for 1:30 or so. Not looking forward to the other crazed March break travelers, but really looking forward to getting on my way and getting to Vancouver. Woohoo! :cheers
WoooHooo!
gimme a call when you get here
d.
Quote from: dermot on March 13, 2009, 10:46:54 AM
WoooHooo!
gimme a call when you get here
d.
dermot
If it's not an imposition could you PM me with a contact number just in case I need someone to call ? I don't arrive 'til Sunday eve. I won't bug you un-necissarily.
Thanks. Looking forward to meeting you next week. :beer
Well two hours before I leave for the airport. Better get motivated to pack. Boy I hate packing. See you all Monday! I will be in the Seattle air port tonight at 11:07 if all goes well.
Jim Holler
i'd wait for another 90 min beore doing anything rash (like packing)...
And Lynn, PM is sent, if anyone else want a local contact number i'm open ;-)
Ta,
d.
Dermot
Received your PM. Thank you very much. I tried to PM back to you but your box is full. You're a popular guy. I just wanted to say thanks and say how exicited I am to meet you and the rest of the forum members who will be on hand next week. This is like a family reunion for people who have never met :bgrin: Somebody should film this for a documentary. Man, "what a long strange trip it's been" getting to this point from the first innocent post about bringing back an orphan Larrivee guitar.
72 hrs. to go. :nana_guitar
My wife and I went down to the factory today. I called John to discuss a few things regarding number of employees and donuts etc. Then I said Heh, I'm not far away could I come Take a peek at my git and he said sure.
After that we went to a very cool area not far away called "Gastown" and had more fish and chips. This time it was halibut, my favorite. Then we went to a great place called Lynn Canyon, where there is a suspension bridge over the river with trails and large waterfalls etc. Very cool. Dermot had told us about it. Then we went to Stanley park and on to a music shop and bought some strings and stuff. Then I found a very nice London fog raincoat, cause it's supposed to start raining soon.
Then we took back the BIG black Mafia Mercury to the rental place and got a Camry Hybrid instead. It suits us much better. I'll try to get with Mike sometime tomorow and see what others are up to.
Danny
On our way to the airport - got extra memory for the camera and recorder. No one write anything interesting until I can get back on-line - :bgrin: Tad
Quote from: dependan on March 13, 2009, 11:27:10 PM
My wife and I went down to the factory today. I called John to discuss a few things regarding number of employees and donuts etc. Then I said Heh, I'm not far away could I come Take a peek at my git and he said sure.
Danny
Soooooooooo, where are the pictures. Tell us more about the gits, you can't leave us hanging in suspense after being right there.
Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 14, 2009, 10:33:18 AM
Soooooooooo, where are the pictures. Tell us more about the gits, you can't leave us hanging in suspense after being right there.
I took a few pics with my phone camera. But thanks to ATand T and the cruddy way they do things, it's like a trip to the dentist to download a pic to my computer. I had left the camera in the car, and it was parked far away. Besides at this point I feel it is best left in John Larrivee's hands to post pics with comments. I'll wait till Monday when I take as many as I possibly can with my digital camera. (then download them with Larrivee's permission)
So I really can't post any because they are locked up in my phone right now. (Truly sorry)
Danny
Quote from: tadol on March 14, 2009, 10:22:40 AM
On our way to the airport - got extra memory for the camera and recorder. No one write anything interesting until I can get back on-line - :bgrin: Tad
See ya soon Tad. I have got things nailed down a bit location wise.
Danny
I'm here. Plane was late last night and I walked thru a lot of the airport b4 finding my way out. Then there was the insane cab ride...surprised I got to the hotel in one piece! Sipping Starbucks as i send this! Am spending today with Vancouver Southpaw who has graciously offered to show me around. If anybody wants to connect tomorrow, let me know.
We are about to head downtown, I'll have on a long black raincoat and a black cowboy hat. Long and McQuades on Terminal will be one stop and then some messing around near Robson and Grandville etc. So if anyone sees us say howdy.
Danny
If you get a chance, check out Rufus Guitar shop. Great little shop, and they've been a Larrivee dealer forever.
Quote from: johnny37 on March 14, 2009, 01:17:06 PM
If you get a chance, check out Rufus Guitar shop. Great little shop, and they've been a Larrivee dealer forever.
Where are they?
Rufus Guitar Shop is at 2621 Alma Street in Vancouver. 604 222 1717.
Here is a link with more info about the location.
http://www.vancouverplus.ca/portal/profile.do?categoryID=8&contentType=0&profileID=1103602
Quote from: johnny37 on March 14, 2009, 01:22:39 PM
Rufus Guitar Shop is at 2621 Alma Street in Vancouver. 604 222 1717.
Sounds like a neat store. Had a look at their website. They sometimes get the less than perfect Larrivee's that are flawed coming out of the factory and sell them at a discount. If anyone goes I'm curious to know what they have for the less than perfect Larrivees.
Quote from: dazdarren on March 14, 2009, 05:18:33 PM
Sounds like a neat store. Had a look at their website. They sometimes get the less than perfect Larrivee's that are flawed coming out of the factory and sell them at a discount. If anyone goes I'm curious to know what they have for the less than perfect Larrivees.
I saw some top shelf Larrivees. LSV-11E 000-60 and 50 one Larri with a burst, a P-05 and some others. Long and Mcquade had a bunch also, even more actually. There was an OM-60 that I thought sounded the best. The OM-40 they had sounded muted next to it.
But prices were high on the tags in both stores.
Danny
Hi folks
This will be my last post before meeting up with the rest of the crew in Vancouver. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to meeting these folks and, of course, seeing my new forum III.
I hope that someday I get a chance to meet more of you great people. For the forum III purchasers around the world who can't be there for the "unveiling" tomorrow, I will bring along your best wishes to the craftsmen and women who are creating this wonderful instrument for us all.
Off the the airport now. I'll report back when I return. :nana_guitar :wave
Tuffythepug
Its like a morgue on the forum tonight. Everybody is in Vancouver. I am unbelieveably jealous. Please please please please somebody take some pics of 108549 for me.
If I see it I will Ben.
Danny
Quote from: dependan on March 14, 2009, 08:14:47 PM
But prices were high on the tags in both stores.
Danny
Don't forget that our Canadian dollar is worth only about 70 cents to the US dollar right now.
Quote from: johnny37 on March 15, 2009, 03:57:33 PM
Don't forget that our Canadian dollar is worth only about 70 cents to the US dollar right now.
I took it into consideration.
Danny
Quote from: johnny37 on March 15, 2009, 03:57:33 PM
Don't forget that our Canadian dollar is worth only about 70 cents to the US dollar right now.
Don't complain, the ÂŁ is worth about two pebbles and a grain of rice just now
Tad and I went out and played a few git's today.... had a great time!
Nancy got a piccie of him playing a 1908 Kuntsen harp guitar that must be posted ;-)
out for dinner now...
wheeeee
d.
I bought a box of donuts so I could vicariously celebrate with you Monday....
Except I ate most of them already... :blush:
it's the 16th already!
have a great trip guys!
Quote from: Randy_R on March 15, 2009, 09:52:37 PM
I bought a box of donuts so I could vicariously celebrate with you Monday....
Except I ate most of them already... :blush:
Randy, We got together for dinner and dessert tonight and we wished you were here. The first thread about orphan gits was posted by Ricky and if I remember right you replied first, then Tad, then me. The 5th post was ricky compiling what we had suggested and the foundation of the F-III was laid.
So tonight ricky, Tad, myself our wives and "T" the three dot 12th fret "P", plus dermot and Lyricgirl were together. A comment was made that you "should be here."
I'm just saying it would have been nice. We all had a great time and tomorrow we have even more.
Danny
Hey everyone,
I was really hoping to get over to Vancouver and meet up with all of you, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. My wife has to work tomorrow and it's now spring break, so I'm looking after the kids. I seriously thought about bringing them along, but at 3 and 6, their attention span is limited at best. Have a great time and have a few donuts from Timmy's for me. Be sure to post pics and file a report when you get home.
John
Quote from: dependan on March 16, 2009, 02:06:51 AM
Randy, We got together for dinner and dessert tonight and we wished you were here. The first thread about orphan gits was posted by Ricky and if I remember right you replied first, then Tad, then me. The 5th post was ricky compiling what we had suggested and the foundation of the F-III was laid.
So tonight ricky, Tad, myself our wives and "T" the three dot 12th fret "P", plus dermot and Lyricgirl were together. A comment was made that you "should be here."
I'm just saying it would have been nice. We all had a great time and tomorrow we have even more.
Danny
Yes, my wife Beth and I came late for this dinner and dessert. I called Dermot's cell to make sure they were still there. On the drive towards the "Kettle of Fish" restaurant not too far from the hotels where we're staying, I said to my wife, "You know, I have not really met these people face-to-face, but I feel so at ease (that it drowned out the weird feeling of any jitters or awkwardness of having to meet people you "met or talk with" in the internet) --- it actually felt like I'm going to a reunion of friends, of people I know, of family.
I was hoping Jim H and Randy would be there - like Danny said - it would have been nice. Lynda (lyric_girl) wished Norman (GeeNorm) was here too and that would have been nice too.
As I pulled in to park the car (it's a Korean puddle-jumper pretty nimble miser of a car Hyundai Accent (dubbed "accident" by dermot), I was filled with glee and excitement like there were springs in my shoes. The waitress had to look at the unflattering end of me as I tied my shoe lace before I located the Forum table. Okay, TMI.
I remember seeing and meeting Lynda first. Hugs. She met Beth. I met Tuffy (Lynn), Tad & Nancy, and I didn't recognize Danny without his cowboy hat - met his wife and finally dermot.
What a warm gathering! And just like I expected it, my Forum friends are real nice people - ace !!!
The best part of this for me besides finally getting to shake hands or hug my friends and interact with them in person instead of here at the Forum is that my wife Beth finally got to meet my friends too and Tad & Danny's wives.
It's a cross cultural experience for us - it's what makes life so colorful and spicy (in a good way - where I come from - spicy is real good !!!).
I would post pictures of us, but my phone does not have flash and of course, I could not locate my digital camera before we left Edmonton. Who knows, I may take pictures using Lynda's camera tomorrow.
That's my 2 centavos for tonight.
ricky
Hi everybody,
I'm a native Vancouverite.
I had something that *I* could not cancel in the afternoon, so I didn't say anything. As it turns out, someone else cancelled it and I might be able to hang out with you guys.
Is it too late to "register"?
I'm going to scan backwards through the discussion to see if I can pick up on the details. But if someone has a moment - can you tell me where you planned to
meet in the morning (I can find my way to the Larrivée plant at 780 Cordova)
have lunch
have dinner
what's up after that?
Is there a contact person at Larrivée?
Thanks everybody.
Okay, here's what I found looking back.
- 10 AM Informal meeting at the Larrivee shop. Meet John Jr and each other.
- Get your Trinity Guitars Forum III hat. This alone makes the trip worth it!
- Noon Lunch Dutch treat at a place John Jr. is picking.
- 1 pm or so return to the Shop for a tour. I expect this to be all afternoon.
- Mike's place (what time?)
2865 Grant St, Vancouver.
Is it okay to join you guys?
Quote from: dependan on March 16, 2009, 02:06:51 AM
The first thread about orphan gits was posted by Ricky and if I remember right you replied first, then Tad, then me. The 5th post was ricky compiling what we had suggested and the foundation of the F-III was laid.
So tonight ricky, Tad, myself our wives and "T" the three dot 12th fret "P", plus dermot and Lyricgirl were together. A comment was made that you "should be here."
That was pretty close recollection from memory...I looked at the first page of the thread and the order of appearances of the cast on the thread's first page actually look like this.
1) Ricky - OP
2) L-Fan
3) Dale I
4) Randy R
5) tadol
6) dependan
7) tuffythepug
8) strawinthegold
9) Dotneck
Have fun out west...don't eat any bad oysters....
Quote from: ST on March 16, 2009, 05:07:06 AM
Is it okay to join you guys?
Go for it. They're still sleeping I expect. There have been a couple of dropouts, so there should be plenty of donuts.. :donut2 :coffee
Quote from: Dotneck on March 16, 2009, 07:44:37 AM
That was pretty close recollection from memory...I looked at the first page of the thread and the order of appearances of the cast on the thread's first page actually look like this.
1) Ricky - OP
2) L-Fan
3) Dale I
4) Randy R
5) tadol
6) dependan
7) tuffythepug
8) strawinthegold
9) Dotneck
Have fun out west...don't eat any bad oysters....
I remember reading from the very start, and wanting to join the discussion, but refraining because I felt it would be out of line to get involved since there was no way I could get one, being outwith the USA/Canada. I then remember how happy I was when Jim Holler emailed me to say he would easily deliver one to the UK for me.
By that time everyone else had pretty much nailed down my ideal specs!!!
Quote from: ST on March 16, 2009, 05:07:06 AM
Is it okay to join you guys?
ST, why come and join us!!! Don't know if you're up already as I type this at almost 7am Vancouver time.
Danny, Tad, Tuffy & Dermot will do the donut run to the Factory at 8:30am - I believe they have enough hands there to the delivery.
We are meeting for breakfast at "The Elbow Room Cafe" - between 8:30-9-ish - located on 560 Davie Street.
Then go to the Factory for the "meet everyone" at 10am.
Hope that helps and glad you can join us today.
JohnnyM - if you're reading this - we'll miss you. Do enjoy your kids - you'll be their hero. Hopefully, we can organize more Factory Tours in VanBC
and Oxnard, CA.
Better take a nap before breakfast; slept at 1am; opened my eyes at 4am and could not go back to sleep. G'morning Randy!
ricky
How did i figure there would be a post from Ricky at silly o'clock in the morning. Mate, I am excited about today, and I am about 4000 miles away! I wouldn't be able to sleep if I were in your shoes either. I cannot wait to hear how it all goes.
Quote from: BenF on March 16, 2009, 09:11:30 AM
How did i figure there would be a post from Ricky at silly o'clock in the morning. Mate, I am excited about today, and I am about 4000 miles away! I wouldn't be able to sleep if I were in your shoes either. I cannot wait to hear how it all goes.
Ben, I'll keep you posted. I hope it's bright enough in the Factory so I can use my cellphone to take decent pics. Otherwise, let me see what I can do if others who brought their camera would let me shoot away using theirs.
It's gonna be quite a day; I'm running on adrenalin or maybe it's the potent mixture of cheap instant coffee and the good stuff of Starbucks running through my veins... or it could be the intoxication I get when I inhale a whiff of air from the soundhole of my Larrivees - so distinct from the Taylor smell.
My mind is running wild between the thought of the Factory, meeting friends in person, and my secret desire to visit all the music stores in Vancouver and play all the OMs I could get my hands on (but I must focus on the main thing of today and keep my subversive GAS-attacks under control).
G'day mate!!!
ricky
Quote from: BenF on March 16, 2009, 09:11:30 AM
How did i figure there would be a post from Ricky at silly o'clock in the morning. Mate, I am excited about today, and I am about 4000 miles away! I wouldn't be able to sleep if I were in your shoes either. I cannot wait to hear how it all goes.
G'morning Ben, we'll keep an eye out for your F-III.
In fact I am looking over all my notes and saved e-mails and PM's to try and do or say or take pics of or obtain things for anyone who has made a request.
It also looks like all the wives want to take the tour. I think they all found out we are "real" people after all.
btw The chemistry between us is like a group of very close friends, or relatives who are just "catching up" with each other.
Dermot is so interesting...everytime he talks (with his lovely Irish accent and smile that won't go away) you find out some new intriguing detail of a very colorful life. Maybe Tuffy could do the writing as Dermot relates the stories and a very good read would come out.
You gotta here about the "Velcro bumper"
(OK d. you need to tell the forum that story)
Danny
Cheers Ricky/Danny, sounds like you are having a great time. :beer
For all those on the tour today. ...
While it may not be true that "the whole world's watching" it is true that the whole forum wants to watch. You will NOT be able to overload the rest of us with pics, posts, anecdotes, etc.
As Randy already mentioned I may run out and buy some donuts to share the spirit of the day.
Norman
Quote from: GeeNorm on March 16, 2009, 10:23:20 AM
As Randy already mentioned I may run out and buy some donuts to share the spirit of the day.
Darn, never thought of that Norman. It is mid afternoon here, so I have kind of missed the boat for fresh bakery products. (I won't say donuts, because they are useless in Scotland). Maybe I'll have a wee cake after my dinner tonight, while the lucky ones are in the factory.
Does this whole thing remind you of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at all (see below)?
Quote from: GeeNorm on March 16, 2009, 10:23:20 AM
You will NOT be able to overload the rest of us with pics, posts, anecdotes, etc.
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:
[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: BenF on March 16, 2009, 10:27:19 AM
(I won't say donuts, because they are useless in Scotland).
No kidding...no donuts in Scotland? I never knew that...(actually I never even wondered about that before...I don't really spend that much time thinking about donuts.)
Also, I never realized you were in Scotland....for some reason I thought you were in England. That is different than England, right? (I guess you can tell I'm not that knowledgeable on British geography...)
they must be going through the factory right about now eh?
Can't wait for the pictures!! :D
The tour is set to start in 35 minutes. I'm stuck at the Hilton Garden Inn in Corvallis (OR) while my son "interviews" the grad school folk to see if he will accept their offer to start his PhD journey in this nice sleepy little college town.
Anyway, you guys have a great time, and if you see #xxx555 there, well, DON'T TOUCH IT! :wink:
Awaiting updates...
I'm eating my donuts now.... :donut2 :donut :donut :coffee
Well is the tour over yet? I want pics!!!!! I didn't get to go, but would have loved to. I wonder if I send them a p/u if they would still install it at this late date? I knind of wanted it factory installed.... Can't wait for pics!!!
Quote from: Bltprf502 on March 16, 2009, 03:59:57 PM
Well is the tour over yet? I want pics!!!!! I didn't get to go, but would have loved to. I wonder if I send them a p/u if they would still install it at this late date? I knind of wanted it factory installed.... Can't wait for pics!!!
Its only 2pm there. Probably just getting going. There will be a lot of pics taken, I expect.
The silence is killing me...
Jordan.
Quote from: Dotneck on March 16, 2009, 12:39:12 PM
No kidding...no donuts in Scotland? I never knew that...(actually I never even wondered about that before...I don't really spend that much time thinking about donuts.)
Also, I never realized you were in Scotland....for some reason I thought you were in England. That is different than England, right? (I guess you can tell I'm not that knowledgeable on British geography...)
We have donuts, they just taste like cardboard and old socks. England is very different from Scotland. It is wise to never get that wrong :rolleye:
The English are good people. We all run around the hills in skirts chasing the elusive haggis. :humour:
Quote from: Jagadis on March 16, 2009, 06:13:36 PM
The silence is killing me...
Jordan.
Tell me about it. Ricky was online a while back - he must have his iPhone in the factory, and keeps logging on to tease us all!!! I bet they are playing the guitars!
I hope all of the Forum III members enjoy their guitar from this unique run and that everyone who made it to the tour enjoyed themselves today.
P.S. My grandfather was born in Hamilton, Scotland and his mother taught all of her grandchildren including my father how to make shortbread which he did every year at Christmas. I would consider myself a resident expert on the difference between donuts and shortbread (done right) and it isn't even close.
http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Scotland-History/ScottishShortbread.htm
Think of Scottish shortbread as the "Larrivee" of the bakery world and you get the idea.
Just finished the tour of the Factory. We took lotsa pictures.
On my way to Mike's "VancouverSouthpaw" for the evening party.
ricky
The big day is almost over in Vancouver. Sounds like a long day starting with breakfast, lunch, tour and jam. I'm sure I'm not the only one sitting here hitting refresh button every so often tonight hoping for a full report of the day and for some pictures of the tour and the group of new found friends. I trust everyone had a magnificent day and look forward to hearing and seeing all the details. Would be cool if someone had a recording device at the jam and was able to share some of the tunes from the night. I think JIm was going to do his montage which was to include Stairway to Heaven :guitar
Just got in.
Fantastic day. Great to meet everyone. Had a lot of fun bonding over tunes.
It was great to how that the guitar starts as a gigantic round (not sure if that's the real term), and transforms and eventually tells the builders what kind of guitar it should be.
Thanks everyone at Larrivée and the forum members for a heartfelt welcome and a great time.
It was a long day indeed, and I didn't even do breakfast.
We met up at the Larrivee factory (somehow the word "factory" doesn't seem quite right, facility perhaps....) at 10:00 am, and were greeted by John Larrivee and Jeremy, who was to be our tour guide. Jim was there with hats at the ready and Matt from Seattle had a couple of Forum III picks for each of us - a nice surprise.
The morning was spent chatting with other members of the forum, as well as of course ogling the very-soon-to-be-completed Forum III guitars, which were just starting to receive the finishing touches of tuners, strings, etc. Everyone was able to easily locate their guitar (or in one case, I believe, guitars) and there were lots of pictures taken amongst the admiring gasps of awe at just how great they look up close. Those pictures John has been posting don't lie a bit, and I'm sure there will be many more soon.
A couple of hours went by incredibly fast in this fashion, and we eventually toddled off to a place called Wazubee on Commercial Drive for lunch, making it back to the Larrivee facility for the tour at almost 2 pm.
We started the tour outside as a couple of employees were hand splitting HUGE rounds of spruce - a fitting beginning amongst the actual logs from whence the guitars spring. We got a good look at most of the work areas on the main floor although the plant is in semi-shutdown mode at the moment. Jeremy was a knowledgeable and articulate guide for what must have been an unsually enthusiastic group. It was after 4 pm when we made it back to the second floor and the tour sort of petered out as various forum members went off with Jim to complete the paperwork to allow them to - YES - take their guitars home with them. Others opted to wait and let Jim complete the setup and bone saddle upgrade.
My own guitar, sadly, was not ready to take home as they'd built it wrong-, er, right-handed; the upside of the ensuing wait being that I got to select a back and sides set for the replacement which is promised in a couple of weeks.
We gathered at my place almost immediately after the tour for the jam and dinner, and it was great to hear everyone's voices as well as several Forum III guitars which everyone agreed sound as good as they look. I don't think anyone will be disappointed in these guitars.
That's about all I've got the energy to write tonight - I'm sure others will chime in with all the stuff I've forgotten to mention.
It was simply great to see how simply happy everyone was to be there, and a pleasure to meet new friends in person.
Cheers, Mike
It's 1:18am Pacific Time and I left Mike's place around 11-ish. The others left ahead of us; only the 3 of us Mike, Danny and I stayed behind singing and playing our Forum IIIs.
I'll keep this brief as I tend to be all over the place when I tell stories. I did log on a couple of times during the afternoon tour using my iPhone because I wanted to check the serial number of Ben's and Norman GeeNorm's guitar.
We all took lots of pictures: Danny, Tuffy (Lynn), Tad, lyric_girl (Lynda), Johnny37, photoMatt, DaveG, and me ricky making do with my cellphone camera.
I expect the Forum will be flooded with pictures. Let me see if I can post some (but I'm still learning the Mac/Apple world).
I'll start a thread in the Pictures section and do PM or email me if you wish for me to email you my shots / photos directly.
The experience at the Factory Tour was nothing short of exciting & quite educational to say the least (well, after inhaling all the delicious wood scent) make that - intoxicating.
ricky
UPDATE - 1:47am Pacific Time ---- Sorry friends, I had to abandon the new thread in the Pictures Section.
I was hoping my iPhone would take pictures that are less than 400KB in size, but somehow they're too big to load - I can't post it here.
May I request someone to educate me as to how I can reduce the picture size, please? Otherwise, I can always try to send it to someone who can. I imagine Ben or Norman GeeNorm would know how to do this.
I spent most of my time with the Larrivee employees and John. I just couldn't get away from Ed Bond, Jeremy, Shawn and of course John Jr. I learned as many names as I could and went around with a big Starbucks coffee thing a ma jig and made sure every one was "wired"
I was so excited after I played "For my Lady" to my wife in the break room, that I came out shouting. YES, YES, YES, this is exactly what we( I said "I" really) wanted.
Denis,Randy and Norm you have possibly the best guitar you have ever owned on it's way to your door.
These MH/IS F-III's are not one bit short of any expectations that I had ( or anyone who played mine) Unless I got some anomaly these are the ultimate small bodied full toned amazing "Larrivees" And I am NOT exagerating. 1972 IS tops are OPEN. Right now. Nuff said
danny
pics to come
Thanks for posting these comments in your understandably sleepy states. It must have been a big day!! I am really really pleased that everyone had such a good time. Sorry to hear Mike didn't get to see his guitar, but getting to choose the wood for the replacement must be a special treat. Thank you for taking the time to look up my SN and taking pics of my guitar Ricky, I can't wait to see them. Thanks Danny for telling us how awesome the sound too. Now I am seriously thinking I should've gone for hog/spruce. I am sure I'll forget that when I see some pics of the RW!!
I will almost be sad in a way when the guitars are all delivered, because this has been so much fun along the way.
Thanks again
Ben
Ricky just sent me these: -
Pic 1 is Danny with guitar #1 :nice guitar:
Pic 2 is Danny and Lynn with their Forum Gits :nice guitar: :nice guitar:
Pic 3 is Lynda holding MY FORUM GIT WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!! :nice guitar: if I do say so myself.
Thank you Ricky/Lynda/Danny/Tuffy and everyone else.
[attachment deleted by admin]
4. Edwin worked so hard on Tour day. He installed end pins, tuners, strung the guitars, packed them in cases.In this picture, he was installing the end pin in #78 - mine (Ricky's).
5. John, Mike, me, Tad, Danny
[attachment deleted by admin]
6. Wes is about to cut up this huge hunk of spruce to produce guitar tops.
7. Here they are chopped up in smaller sections.
[attachment deleted by admin]
8. Jim H give us a clinic on Wood 101.
9. Wes up close and in action.
[attachment deleted by admin]
10. Literally less than 4 hours ago - Danny playing his Forum Guitar at Mike's place.
11. Mike at home playing what is supposed to be his FG III - factory made a right-ee all-hog which was saying to me "Please, ricky take me home"
[attachment deleted by admin]
12 Pickguards anyone? Tortoise or Clear?
13. ricky holding #78 for the very first time. :nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar:
[attachment deleted by admin]
14. The mural outside the Factory by the parking lot where they have gigantic hunks of spruce to be turned into guitar tops - my rental car on the foreground.
15. John Jr. introducing Edwin and Jeremy as our tour guides. We were free to ask the employees / workers any questions throughout the day to our heart's delight and heart's content. Take unlimited pictures. Our host, John Jr. was so gracious.
Love the picture of the Hyundai Accident :humour:. I also note that Jeremy has a normal blank mug. He must have taken heed of the comments on the Larrivee mug on facebook and hidden it for fear of forumite swiping!
Ben
[attachment deleted by admin]
16. Could this be the sidebenders of the next one - Forum IV?
17. I spotted this abandoned & very lonely neck that could have fitted into my Forum Git
[attachment deleted by admin]
18. Tuffy holding what looks like a Koa for a future parlor?
Thank you very much for the pictures Ricky
[attachment deleted by admin]
Great stuff!!! Great job guys! :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance
Awesome pictures for an awesome day!!! Thanks so much for posting the photos. Many of us couldn't be there with you but its such a thrill seeing all of you over there at the Mothership with John Larrivee and the gang!!!! I hope you all gave them a big collective thank you from all of the forumites!!
Keep posting photos. The pictures I especially liked were the ones of each of you holding your new Forum III guitars.
Ricky and Danny: Your guitars look incredible.
Danny: You are killing me bro. What did the guitar sound like when you first played it??? How does it compare to your other gits?
Thx.
Jordan.
Quote from: Jagadis on March 17, 2009, 07:54:37 AM
Awesome pictures for an awesome day!!! Thanks so much for posting the photos. Many of us couldn't be there with you but its such a thrill seeing all of you over there at the Mothership with John Larrivee and the gang!!!! I hope you all gave them a big collective thank you from all of the forumites!!
Keep posting photos. The pictures I especially liked were the ones of each of you holding your new Forum III guitars.
Ricky and Danny: Your guitars look incredible.
Danny: You are killing me bro. What did the guitar sound like when you first played it??? How does it compare to your other gits?
Thx.
Jordan.
Look at Danny's signature for your answer Jordan. Ricky is to thank for the pictures so far, I just posted them after he emailed me them. It sometimes helps being on the other side of the clock!
Great pics, guys. Those really help to make us feel included. Thanks for posting.
Looks like a fun day...
Originally posted by dependan in the attendees thread
Quote from: dependan on March 17, 2009, 04:25:04 AM
ST was an instant friend (even though I came close to backing into his very , very nice car) I had the pleasure of stringing up the first F-III (imagine that) and then after I played ''For my Lady" to my wife. I passed this marvelous little git to Larrivee employees and to ST. Who is a top shelf player. I watched his countenance grow brighter until true joy was expressed in his visage and he asked if there were any extras made, so he could obtain one.
I am so glad ST made it to this tour.
danny
Danny, is was great to meet you.
Yup - instant friends - any man who hands me his brand new Guitar to break the ice - well how do you top that?
Thank you - really, for doing that as I was a little breathless having been on-again / off-again about being able to get there at all. I came hurtling in from surprise engagement, unsure what I would find when I arrived. John Jr took a look at the Guitar I had in tow for the jam later and handed it to Ed(win). At that moment I did not know with whom I was speaking. They decided it needed some help and that it would be staying with them for about 10 days. With that, without an instrument, I was lost.
A few minutes later we met, got on immediately, and all was well again.
To all - back to the instruments.
For steel stringed Guitars I've got L-bodies and Dreads and a Jumbo. Nothing smaller. I had not seriously spent any time exploring these little guys. Well, yesterday was a revelation. As I got to playing Danny's beautiful Guitar, I could hear what it had to say, clear as a bell. Just, as I think Danny put it, 'says what it has to say and moves on'. Sorry Danny if I misquoted you, but that was the sense of what I got from you. I was distracted by the Guitar while we were talking in Ed's room.
Thanks everyone for the pictures above.
ST, that's right, it says what it has to say and moves on. Ed,Jeremy and I think Shawn at Larrivee also played my guitar(employee's of Larrivee and really nice folks.)
Dermot played it as well later and fell in love with it too. I'm tellin ya'll this is what I excpected and more. My set up is way low, and even there it was taking some fairly serious strumming, but of course is SHINES at finger style.
Heh that first pic of the "Goofy cowboy grinner" is just well..... GOOFY.
danny
Congrats, guys and gals! They look great!
Ricky - I love the cutaway. I'm really glad I got one after seeing yours above.
Looking forward to it!
Adam
Beautiful pics and stories. Thanks
Thanks for the pic's, looks like a good time was had by all.
Travel safe.
Thanks for the pictures! and Congrats!! Danny she looks gorgeous!
:+1:
Thanks for the pics! I hope we start to hear a few stories about this trip too.
Good morning all - I have about 15 minutes to jot down my thoughts about the Tour.
Danny, Tad and their wives are catching their flights in Seattle. Tuffy, Lynda, me and my wife are all traveling back at different times today. So, we hope all of us and guitars in tow will travel and arrive safely at our destination points.
I'm thankful for the Genius of creation: trees, metals, humans who are able to turn these resources into fine acoustic guitars.
I frankly was not keeping my hopes up and did not expect much in terms of what the sound of the FG III will sound like (no offense to anyone, just my way of coping during the "waiting period.")
I am quite pleased with the sound both of the rosewood/IS and hog/IS. Only because I now have 2 rosewood Larris, looking back, I would have ordered a hog.
I have yet to do an a/b of my OM and FG III - but if I remember how it all sounds (this is subjective of course) - I give the edge to my preference of the smidge smaller size of the FG III and yet it has a great voice.
This should sum up what I really think of the sound - whether I'll be able to do this or not is another thing. Here goes:
I feel like going back to the Factory, talk to John L Jr., look up Mike's VancouverSouthpaw's original serial number which became a righty all-hog and locate the IS/hog that I liked and put a deposit on both guitars.
That way, I would have not 1, not 2 but 3 FG IIIs in all wood combinations. Of course the other two would only be an ordinary LS-03 MT, IS/hog.
The Italian Spruce gives these guitars such a sweet sound (please forgive me for my poor sound vocabulary).
If there were any interested persons in my OO-09 or Taylor GS Koa or OM-40 - that would be great - as I may need to finance the above fantasy of owning all the wood combos of the FG III - to turn it into reality. (Since my FG III is so new, this will have to be tested in the coming months. I realize these comments are coming from Mr. Understated GAS-er, who is just recently curious about Collings and inquiring about Martins - all OMs. So I'm sure you're reading this tongue-in-cheek.)
I'm ecstatic!
ricky
Thanks for the pics! Now I am really fired up to get mine home... Thanks for sharing your trip.
Everybody have a good trip home. This looks like it was a fun time. Wish I could have been there. Mike, thanks for opening up your house.
I'm psyched too, and can't wait to get my FIII.
Quote from: Randy_R on March 17, 2009, 01:10:30 PM
can't wait to get my FIII.
Still wondering exactly when that will be though?
...sometime towards the middle/end of April, sort of an end of tax season celebration. Exactly when though, I am left wondering as well.
Here's another outcome of the tour.
Vancouver Larrivée Get Together, Open Stage & Jam (http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=26061.0)
Quote from: bluesman67 on March 17, 2009, 01:51:14 PM
...sometime towards the middle/end of April, sort of an end of tax season celebration. Exactly when though, I am left wondering as well.
I know. The childish greeneyed part of me feels slightly jealous that I could be wating another 6 weeks or more for mine while others have theirs already. However, I am thrilled that folks got to take theirs home, and that they have said good things about them thus far. Only makes the wait more exciting.
Quote from: dependan on March 17, 2009, 04:48:46 AM
Denis,Randy and Norm you have possibly the best guitar you have ever owned on it's way to your door.
... 1972 IS tops are OPEN. Right now. Nuff said
danny
If this endorsement doesn't deserve a Ricky quote "YEE PEE" then nothing does!
Travel home in safety.
Norman
Hi Guys. I put some photos of the day up on my facebook page. It was a blast to meet everyone. I gotta say I am a very hard person to impress with a guitar. Occupational hazard I fear. I love my new LS03HB Forum III. I was expecting a very nice guitar but was very happy with the comfort and deep base on this guitar. The hight end was bright with lots of overtones but with the clarity we expect from a Larrivee L. The build quality was impeccable! The base thumped my chest when I put it is double drop d. All in all a guitar I look froward to playing a lot. A big thanks to Larrivee and to John Jr and his staff for doing such a great job on the guitars and putting up with us for the day.
Like most of you I must now wait for Larrivee to ship my guitar!
Jim Holler
Jim & Ben- thanks for the cool pics. I saw Jim's @ about 2am EST, so I got a jump on some (except you West Coasters). Hope all had a great time . Can't wait for more stuff to post & finally, my git. Also, thanks to whoever resolved my p.g. problem. :nana_guitar
Jeff :guitar
I took way too many photos to post 4 at a time or to fill up the thread, so I made a web site of my photos. Bluesman, I think it was your gutiar, along with BenF's that I took a ton of photos of.
Enjoy my photos, I can hardly wait to see the rest. Can someone post a link to Jim's photos, as I do not have my facebook account set up yet?
My oh my...what a day we had yesterday. The feeling I had when I was able to touch and hear my guitar in the factory it was made in, surrounded by other people with the same feelings was just so special. Then to go and Jam with the same guitars that were still being created hours earlier...that was just a perfect end of a perfect day.
Thanks
Matt
Photomat's Photo Page (http://www.fowlerportraits.com/larrivee)
Quote from: photomat on March 17, 2009, 08:13:21 PM
I took way too many photos to post 4 at a time or to fill up the thread, so I made a web site of my photos. Bluesman, I think it was your gutiar, along with BenF's that I took a ton of photos of.
Enjoy my photos, I can hardly wait to see the rest. Can someone post a link to Jim's photos, as I do not have my facebook account set up yet?
My oh my...what a day we had yesterday. The feeling I had when I was able to touch and hear my guitar in the factory it was made in, surrounded by other people with the same feelings was just so special. Then to go and Jam with the same guitars that were still being created hours earlier...that was just a perfect end of a perfect day.
Thanks
Matt
Photomat's Photo Page (http://www.fowlerportraits.com/larrivee)
Matt, thank you, like a million times, for taking the time to take some close up pics of my guitar. It looks incredible.
Also, may I add that your pictures of the whole day are absolutely brilliant.
Matt,
Those pictures are simply awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really managed to capture the thrill of the day. Thanks so much!!! I can't believe how awesome those guitars look and how happy everyone is in the picts. It must have been a very memorable moment.
Jordan.
Ok folks I'm home (for all of 25 minutes now) and thought I would post a few of my impressions. I apologize for not posting before now as I could not get on my hotel's WiFi for two days and didn't find the time to get back to a Starbucks. Sigh.
First off, getting the opportunity to meet my fellow forumites and some of your wives was just amazing. Of course, meeting Ricky in person after Skyping for quite awhile was SO great. Thank you everyone for all the kindness shown to me, particularly to Dermot, Mike and Ricky for chaufering me around town and to Danny for your pep talk last night.
Please know that I had all of you who wanted to make the trip but couldn't, along with me in my heart, particularly Ben and Norman and did my best to get photos of your guitars which I managed to. I will download the camera later and send on my photos to both of you.
I am thrilled to have my Forum III here with me (yes Dermot, it looks like it survived although I haven't opened the case yet, and they wouldn't let me take it on board). However, that being said, I am sad that not everyone has theres yet.
When I picked up mine out of the rack yesterday morning, I was totally at a loss for words and that doesn't happen often. She is beautiful and really great to listen to.
To the guys at the jam last night, I had a great time listening to all of you, but I don't know much at all at this point and, quite frankly, it's embarassing for me to play for anybody other than my dog and bird. :roll
Thanks to everyone from Larrivee for an amazing experience that I will never forget.
Also know that Ricky, myself and Lynn were talking about a Forum III reunion in Vancouver in the future and hopefully other Forum III owners could join all of us. Just throwing that out there... :roll
LJ
Quote from: lyric_girl on March 17, 2009, 09:19:22 PM
Also know that Ricky, myself and Lynn were talking about a Forum III reunion in Vancouver in the future and hopefully other Forum III owners could join all of us. Just throwing that out there... :roll
LJ
I'm in!
Matt - great pics - I'll go through all ours, but I think you captured it all wonderfully -
To everyone I met in Vancouver - I could not have had a better time even if I weren't getting one of these. And believe me, having held and quickly strummed mine, and playing a few others, I cannot be more anxious about them all getting sent out ( I didn't take any home with me ). They are wonderful. And the forumites were all great as well - I would really like to organize a git-together in the SF Bay Area sometime for everyone.
I have to make a very public and deeply appreciative THANKS!!! to dermot - he went out of his way to give my wife and I a taste of Vancouver that I will not forget, and leaves me anxious to return someday and spend alot more time there - maybe even some of it not in guitar shops!
Tad
Lynda- glad to put a name with a face. You must be thrilled that your baby is home with you; you looked shell-shocked in a couple of the pics. Yours looked amomg the finest & I hope it will sound just as good. One less thing for you to worry about now! Yea!!!
Enjoy. Jeff :guitar
Lynda and Tad,
Welcome home. Wow that was fun yesterday. I kinda wished I had brought mine home, but now I get to wait with the others.
Lynda, Your bird and dog will love every performance you do with your guitar.
DaveG and I were talking about our first "forum" Jam just one year ago, and how we both were so nervous about playing.
Keep up the good work with with your new guitar. I started playing 4 years ago, and found out the church worship band asked me to play because I owned a nice guitar. They told me that after 6 months later they finally decided I had learned enough they could actually turn up my guitar into the mix.
Find a song or two that speaks to your heart and you an your guitar will go far! After all, Tuffy showed us we can sing a song with just 2 chords, Actually two songs (a horse with no name and tuffy's song)
:thumb
Quote from: rpm60912 on March 17, 2009, 12:06:30 PM
Good morning all - I have about 15 minutes to jot down my thoughts about the Tour.
This should sum up what I really think of the sound - whether I'll be able to do this or not is another thing. Here goes:
I feel like going back to the Factory, talk to John L Jr., look up Mike's VancouverSouthpaw's original serial number which became a righty all-hog and locate the IS/hog that I liked and put a deposit on both guitars.
That way, I would have not 1, not 2 but 3 FG IIIs in all wood combinations. Of course the other two would only be an ordinary LS-03 MT, IS/hog.
The Italian Spruce gives these guitars such a sweet sound (please forgive me for my poor sound vocabulary).
If there were any interested persons in my OO-09 or Taylor GS Koa or OM-40 - that would be great - as I may need to finance the above fantasy of owning all the wood combos of the FG III - to turn it into reality. (Since my FG III is so new, this will have to be tested in the coming months. I realize these comments are coming from Mr. Understated GAS-er, who is just recently curious about Collings and inquiring about Martins - all OMs. So I'm sure you're reading this tongue-in-cheek.)
I'm ecstatic!
ricky
Ricky,
You're killing me man. I love it, a Forum III is all three wood combinations!!!! Listen man, you're a verified GAS aholic and I only wish I'd been able to share your excitement on the trip. Sounds like these Forum III's are going to be very sweet guitars, and I can't wait for my daughters IS/RW and my all Hog to arrive.
Thanks to the rest of the gang for posting some great shots and commentary about the trip. I
really wish I could have been there!!
Now the wait gets REALLY serious....
~ Ray ~
Quote from: Safricanplayer on March 18, 2009, 12:27:16 AM
Ricky,
You're killing me man. I love it, a Forum III is all three wood combinations!!!! Listen man, you're a verified GAS aholic and I only wish I'd been able to share your excitement on the trip. Sounds like these Forum III's are going to be very sweet guitars, and I can't wait for my daughters IS/RW and my all Hog to arrive.
Thanks to the rest of the gang for posting some great shots and commentary about the trip. I really wish I could have been there!!
Now the wait gets REALLY serious....
~ Ray ~
Ray (and everyone else who may be reading this),
I'm taking the midnight flight from Vancouver to Edmonton. I was told the airplane is not full, so the person at the check-in and security allowed me to carry my new Forum Git to the cabin.
I'm hoping that the flight crew would let me take it in - as they have the final say. We'll see. I'm hopeful - I guess not very many people want to fly to Edmonton at this time of the night.
Folks, when I heard Danny's hog/IS, I thought to myself, I hope it's just a matter of time before I get to have a hog git - a short time I hope - that's wishful thinking.
I should thank Tad (tadol) for "breaking in" my guitar FG III LSV-03R. He played it for a good 20 minutes or so while he played along with the guys who were jamming at Mike's Monday evening. Tad's wife kept prompting him to give me my git back, but I was totally cool with it. In fact, I wish it had been passed around. But no need, by the time Tad handed my guitar back to me, I couldn't believe it was the same guitar (I guess the factory installed ClearTones just needed a good hearty playing).
As Jim Holler said, there's ample bass in this gits, rosewood, hog or MT.
This creamy Italian Spruce and the "small-ish" dimensions make this one sweet guitar.
As much as I want to have all three versions of the FG III, I'm afraid I've come to the point where I need to adopt the standing agreement of most married Forum members with their spouse - the (in)famous 1 git IN - 1 git OUT principle.
If my Taylor and OO had any emotions or feelings, I imagine they would be very nervous and are not liking what I'm contemplating.
Question is: Am I prepared to take a huge loss given that the used guitar market has gone soft in favor of buyers.
If you're still reading at this point, here's some :donut :coffee :donut and if you missed ordering/purchasing the FG III - I highly recommend you consider buying the extra replicas while still available - because, you know what they say...
"When they're all gone, they're gone!"
ricky
When we got to the gate at Southwest Airlines I looked up at the big board and a man dressed like a A Southwest Employee started talking to me... I'll cut to the chase here, HE was the PILOT on our flite. He offered to take my guitar on board and store it in the overhead for me and then I could just come on board later.
So that's what happened (gotta love Texas airlines). I played it a bit on the plane and in the airport, people really were attracted to it and made comments on it's nice appearance etc.
At the end of the flite in Austin, when I pulled it out of the overhead a booking agent and I were talking a bit.
(SXSW is in full swing in Austin right now) She asked something about my style etc. And I said my stage name was "3 chins" :winkin: We said a bit more and my wife added a little.
Anyway what a fun way to end the Tour of Larrivee 3/16/09
let's do it again (#IV :whistling:)
danny
Sounds like those who flew home with their new guitars had pretty good luck with the airlines. Dependan were there any problems getting through US customs with it? I wondered if they might try to slap duties or taxes on it.
Quote from: dazdarren on March 18, 2009, 02:04:36 AM
Sounds like those who flew home with their new guitars had pretty good luck with the airlines. Dependan were there any problems getting through US customs with it? I wondered if they might try to slap duties or taxes on it.
Not for us at all. I think less than one minute of Q and A's. And we had 2 guitar cases in the car with us. But remember we paid for them to a New York Company. So why should there be any trouble anyway? What I mean is it really is a moot point, but I know sometimes officials don't look at things the way I do.
I admit I was anxious a little. But it was like sailing on a calm sea the entire trip.
good night, danny
Forum III Vancouver Trip PART I
Hey guys. I just walked in about 30 minutes ago and woke up the wife to give her a kiss and tell here that I and my new "love" made it back safely. It's past midnite and I've been on planes and hanging out in airports most of the day. This was a real whirlwind trip. Pardon me if I seem to ramble incoherently since I haven't really slept in 2 days. I'm winding down fast at this point but I did want to just say a few things while they are fresh in my mind.
First, I want to say a huge thank you for all the local Vancouver forum members who went out of their way to make us all feel at home and shuttled us around everywhere and just made the trip so great because of their efforts. Dermot, Mike, Johnny, I can't thank you guys enough for the way you made me feel so welcome in your city.
Second, the folks at the Larrivee facility could not have been nicer to all of us. The first person I met was John Larrivee and then I met Jim Holler. And he promptly gave me my forum III hat. Thanks Jim for everything you've done to help make this possible. I introduced myself to Jeremy who was going to give us the tour later and he shared with me the fact that this order for these guitars was fun for all the builders because they all knew how special this was. Production work can get tedious and sometimes even boring but they all were thrilled to be working on this project. Many thanks also, to John Jr. for taking on this task and seeing it through to it's spectacular finish. I don't want to forget Edwin who worked at a feverish pace to get our guitars finished for those who wanted to take them home. Thoroughly professional and more than accomodating to us as he weaved and bobbed his way through the crowd of forumites as he went from one station to the next and ended up stringing the guitars and putting them in the case. Jeremy gave us a wonderful tour and at times it reminded me of trying to herd a bunch of cats. We were not the easiest bunch to keep together. Excitement was like electricity in the air.... you could just feel everywhere.
Now that the "thank yous" have been offered; on with some other random thoughts...
Danny was kind enough to pick me up at the airport and drove me to my hotel. He came up to the room and made a few calls and within 10 minutes we were off to meet some of the rest of the group for dinner. Walked into the Kettle of Fish and finally got to meet the "legendary" lyric-girl (you know I love ya girl) Tad, his lovely wife Nancy, Danny's wife Bonnie, and Dermot who must be one of the nicest most interesting people you could ever meet. Ricky and Beth came a little later and I was really happy to finally meet him then too. Plans for the donut run were hastily made and we broke up the party and went home for a little rest before the big day.
6:15 am Dermot picked me up and we went to pick up Danny and Tad and it was off to Tim Hortons where we (Danny) proceeded to take over the place and create general havoc before we left with boxes of dounts, sweet rolls, and bagels and headed over to Larrivee with the grub. Stopped on the way for an excellent cappucino at one of Dermot's hot spots and and then off to deliver the food.
Then on to the Elbow room for breakfast and some great conversation and more of Dermots stories.
Yes, the velcro bumber must be told but it must be told by Dermot. Nobody else could do it justice.
Then, back to Larrivee for the meet and greet. I got to meet Mike and Johnny, two fellow lefties right away. Then Matt and Dave and another Mike (Killick). John told us that we could go upstairs and see our guitars if we wanted to.... Duh.... off we went. The photos that others have posted are a real good representation of what that was like. At first we were able to see the guitars pretty much as they were when John provided the last ones a week ago. No tuners, end pins, etc. but tantalizingly close.
Edwin said that he was sure he would be able to get many of them finished by the end of the day. Excitement was starting to build at that point and he began to drill out the end pin holes, and ream the holes in the headstock for the tuners. It was at this point that I, very slyly, moved my guitar up in the lineup a few places. I'm not proud of it but I figured someone would rat me out anyway so I'm owning up to it. As it turned out I had moved it up ahead of Danny's. I think you can guess how that went over when he realized that. At this point I began to notice someone who I had not met yet and it turned out to be ST. I am pleased to say the he is, aside from being a genuinely nice man and very interesting to talk to, an incredibly talented guitar player. Johnny called me into the set-up room and offered to let me play his L-19 lefty he had brought. Thanks Johnny, that was a treat. looks lilke new and it's actually pretty old. Then we had the tour. others have described it so I won't go into any more details about it. Oh, yeah, crap I almost forgot lunch was in there at some point too and it was very, very, good. I got to spend some more time with Johnny and Mike my fellow lefties.
Back to the shop to check on the progress of the guitars. Surprise, surprise, Danny didn't go to lunch with us he stayed behind to get the sandwiches for the Larrivee people. Now, I'm not one to tell stories on people normally, :bgrin: But I can only ask you to picture Danny taking over the set-up bench and beggining to string up his own guitar and the shouting WOW with the first strum. Uh-oh.... something is wrong. the guitar can't be tuned right... What the.... OK.. I'm not going to finish that part of the story, but I believe Danny should :bgrin: I believe he may have been in a hurry.
Then,,,,,,,,,....................I got my guitar. I took it right off the rack when Edwin finished it and played it a bit.... ok.. a lot.. eveyone wanted to hear the difference between all hog and the other flavors. Then I passed it to Johhny and Mike to try out. At this point there was nothing but smiles everywhere you looked.
I'm too tired to finish my story so I'm going to sign off as I have to go work in a few short hours.
I'll finish my thoughts a little later including my impressions of the Forum III. Until then..... Goodnight all..... it's been quite an experience these past two days.
4am Mountain Time less than half hour arriving safely in Edmonton.
I was allowed to carry my git into cabin & flight attendants showed me a niceplace to store it.
Really tired & sleepy.
Glad everyone got home safely.
ricky
Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one whose guitar went into baggage. I was a total nervous wreck, but she is fine. Just wanted to post an update that as of about 11:15 EST last night, when I was far too awake as my body was still on PST, my Forum III became known as Bella which is Italian for beautiful. I will post pics tonight.
Not to worry - my LSV-11 went up and down in the baggage hold, and fondled by TSA each way ( hard to blame them ). It got back here safe and sound.
But only Danny could get the pilot to hand carry his guitar on board -
Tad
Quote from: tadol on March 18, 2009, 11:42:13 AM
Not to worry - my LSV-11 went up and down in the baggage hold, and fondled by TSA each way ( hard to blame them ). It got back here safe and sound.
But only Danny could get the pilot to hand carry his guitar on board -
Tad
Tad,
Danny has a lot of charm that he must have used on the pilot! :humour:
Glad to hear that you guys and your guitar got home in one piece.
OK PART II...............
I'm just posting some pics and comments here. Still drained from the trip. I would be remiiss if I did not thank Vancouver Southpaw for opening up his home for the jam. Everyone had a great time as I think you can see from the pics. The food that we ordered for delivery was terrific and the evening could not have been more enjoyable. Thanks again Mike.
I know everyone wants to see the pics and hear about the sound. Well, by now you've seen a lot of pics. Here are a few more. But first a note on the sound........ All I can say is you are going to be very, very surprised at how this git sounds. It is a big guitar in a small body and it kicks major butt in the volume dept. I'm not good at describing tone but I can tell you that when I got this guiitar back to my hotel room with no noise around I played it very softly to avoid upsetting the neighbors.... That hotel room was just full of that guitar.... it filled the room and the notes hung in the air and sounded almost like an organ. I was humbled to see how this little guitar thinks its a big guy. I know people say that Mahogany has a quick decay.... whatever..... my all hog would beg to differ. perhaps a different attack could bring out lots more sound textures buried inside. I can only tell you I am amazed at this thing. Sorry I can't be more descriptive for some of you. That's the best I can do.
Here's some more pics if you haven't had enough.
heres a few...
[attachment deleted by admin]
some more pics
[attachment deleted by admin]
and more...
[attachment deleted by admin]
Someone has to explain what Danny's tuning issue was. C'mon!!!!
still more..... tired yet ? Ben.... I'll leave it to Danny to explain the tuning thing. Let's just say that he was in a hurry and .... well,..... you know...... stuff happens.
[attachment deleted by admin]
Lynn,
Couldn't you pick a better picture of me? :tongue:
Lynda.............sorry, that's the best I have :roll
few more...
[attachment deleted by admin]
Tad, Danny, Ricky, Dermot, Tuffy,
My pictures at the dinner seemed to have gotten zapped somehow..actually quite a few of my pics are blank. The only pics I have of the dinner are one of Tuffy and one with Ricky and Beth. If any of you could send me your pics, I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on including them in my scrap book.
Thanks so much,
Lynda
I've got a few I'll send your way. I have real nice one of you and Dermot.
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 01:25:59 PM
I've got a few I'll send your way. I have real nice one of you and Dermot.
Many thanks
I'm writing a song about the F-III using John Prine's tune Angel from Montgomery.
CHOURUS
"Make me a guitar that plays like butter
make me a Larrivee that I'll call my own
Just give me the one git that I can hold on to
I BELIEVE THAT THEY DID IT & I WON'T LET IT GO! "
(I do have verses in the works also)
apologies to "Mr. John Prine"
danny
I'm sure it will take me a long time to read this thread thoroughly. I'm sure a lot of us wish we'd have been there. Looks like a lot of fun and it looks like the FIII is a great guitar--actually, many great guitars. If anyone wants to trade a lefty version for the L-03RE I'm selling, let me know.
Thanks to all for sharing the experiences and the photos. Your enthusiasm and your joy comes across.
leftynyc
you might want to contact Jim Holler. I'm almost positive that there was an extra lefty made by mistake. Rosewood I believe. I briefly considered taking it myself along with my all hog. Anyhow you might be able to work out a deal with him that would involve a trade-in or something. Worth a shot.
Quote from: BenF on March 18, 2009, 12:59:13 PM
Someone has to explain what Danny's tuning issue was. C'mon!!!!
OK, as I was putting the "A" string on people had began to notice what I was up to, (thus this pic below was taken) Several walked in and asked me what I was doing, including John Jr. I thought is was evident what I was doing, but being a polite person, most of the time I stopped what I was doing and explained the process.
Well, somewhere in there, I put on 2 "A'' strings instead of a "G". Jeremy tried to help, but Ed came over and spotted the error immediately. Edwin is very sharp and very fast. I'll eventually post a picture story of him completing my guitar. I had met Ed last Friday so I already knew him a little on Monday morning.
So that's what happened with the strings.
danny
[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: BenF on March 17, 2009, 05:18:14 AM
Ricky just sent me these: -
Pic 1 is Danny with guitar #1 :nice guitar:
Pic 2 is Danny and Lynn with their Forum Gits :nice guitar: :nice guitar:
Pic 3 is Lynda holding MY FORUM GIT WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!! :nice guitar: if I do say so myself.
Thank you Ricky/Lynda/Danny/Tuffy and everyone else.
I love looking at these pictures. Most notable to me was that the picture of Danny and Tuffy with their guitars made the gits look really small, proportionally speaking. Then you scroll down to Lynda and the thing looks enormous. Congratulations to everyone for having a great time, having made great friends and ending up with beautiful guitars. Thanks for sharing the pictures and happiness.
Quote from: ryler on March 18, 2009, 06:29:27 PM
I love looking at these pictures. Most notable to me was that the picture of Danny and Tuffy with their guitars made the gits look really small, proportionally speaking. Then you scroll down to Lynda and the thing looks enormous. Congratulations to everyone for having a great time, having made great friends and ending up with beautiful guitars. Thanks for sharing the pictures and happiness.
ryler
Yes it's all a proportional thing. Looks can be deceiving. Most people wouldn't know that Lynda is only 3' 10" tall. this is a jumbo to her. :roll
OK one other thought just occured to me. for those who haven't felt or played their fourm III yet.
It is a delight to all the senses.
1. It feels wonderful. not just the comfortable size but the finish on the frets is better than my other 3 Larrivees. I asked Jeremy about that. He got a big smile on his face and he told me that everyone, including him, gave it their best effort and put in a little extra at every phase of this build. He did the frets himsefl so he was very pleased that I noticed. You will too.
2. my all hog looks like cinnamon and smells like vanilla and sounds like heaven
You can appreciate this guitar with your fingers, eyes, nose and ears.
One other thing. It's difficult, if not impossible for an event like this to live up to advance hype. Usually you are just setting yourself up for dissapointment when you are expecting such great things from a guitar or an event. This was the exception where the reality exceeded the hype in every way.
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 07:03:11 PM
OK one other thought just occured to me. for those who haven't felt or played their fourm III yet.
It is a delight to all the senses.
1. It feels wonderful. not just the comfortable size but the finish on the frets is better than my other 3 Larrivees. I asked Jeremy about that. He got a big smile on his face and he told me that everyone, including him, gave it their best effort and put in a little extra at every phase of this build. He did the frets himsefl so he was very pleased that I noticed. You will too.
2. my all hog looks like cinnamon and smells like vanilla and sounds like heaven
You can appreciate this guitar with your fingers, eyes, nose and ears.
One other thing. It's difficult, if not impossible for an event like this to live up to advance hype. Usually you are just setting yourself up for dissapointment when you are expecting such great things from a guitar or an event. This was the exception where the reality exceeded the hype in every way.
"Ditto" to every word , especially the frets, Jeremy did a great job.
Also the case smells real nice, kinda like candy.
How come so many pictures are backwards??
Looks like a great time was had by all.
It was so weird being in a room outnumbered by lefties. I even said out loud I need to go to the guitar shop and look at all two or three of the righties on the wall!
I also think lefties are less shy about belting out a tune or two or three ... or four.........etc...... :smile:
Although not a member of the FIII group, it has been great fun reading all the posts and looking at the pictures over the past few months.
Glad it all turned out so well!
I'm starting to think about Forum Four [ F2 ] :)
Al
Great to hear the extra care put into the frets. The quality of fret work has been my only problem with Larrivees in the past.
Glad y'all had a good time. Can't wait for mine!
Adam
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 07:03:11 PM
OK one other thought just occured to me. for those who haven't felt or played their fourm III yet.
It is a delight to all the senses.
1. It feels wonderful. not just the comfortable size but the finish on the frets is better than my other 3 Larrivees. I asked Jeremy about that. He got a big smile on his face and he told me that everyone, including him, gave it their best effort and put in a little extra at every phase of this build. He did the frets himsefl so he was very pleased that I noticed. You will too.
2. my all hog looks like cinnamon and smells like vanilla and sounds like heaven
You can appreciate this guitar with your fingers, eyes, nose and ears.
One other thing. It's difficult, if not impossible for an event like this to live up to advance hype. Usually you are just setting yourself up for dissapointment when you are expecting such great things from a guitar or an event. This was the exception where the reality exceeded the hype in every way.
Thanks everyone on the trip for all your wonderful thoughts and experiences, keep them coming! I, like about 70 other F3 owners, really wanted to make this trip. What has been described by everyone involved in this event, the get together, the jamming, the tour, all of it.... played out exactly as I imagined it would...I'm green with envy and wish I could have been a part of it and have a chance to meet you all. This board is special and I hope we can all have a reason to come together and meet again.
NOW SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW AWESOME THE ROSEWOOD F3 SOUNDED!! Tuffy, never got your PM.
:cheers
Quote from: ryler on March 18, 2009, 06:29:27 PM
I love looking at these pictures. Most notable to me was that the picture of Danny and Tuffy with their guitars made the gits look really small, proportionally speaking. Then you scroll down to Lynda and the thing looks enormous. Congratulations to everyone for having a great time, having made great friends and ending up with beautiful guitars. Thanks for sharing the pictures and happiness.
Ryler, I'm only 5' 4" with short arms and little hands, so yes, it seems enormous on me. LOL
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 06:34:48 PM
ryler
Yes it's all a proportional thing. Looks can be deceiving. Most people wouldn't know that Lynda is only 3' 10" tall. this is a jumbo to her. :roll
LOL! Lynn, you made me laugh! Folks, I'm really 5'4"!
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 06:34:48 PM
ryler
Yes it's all a proportional thing. Looks can be deceiving. Most people wouldn't know that Lynda is only 3' 10" tall. this is a jumbo to her. :roll
My wife was looking at the photo of me playing my new guitar right after it was ready, and she said, my that is so much smaller than your others. Then she looked at Lynda's and Ricky's and asked if they ordered one in a different size. I said they were one size fits all, but we are all different sizes.
Quote from: photomat on March 18, 2009, 10:23:38 PM
My wife was looking at the photo of me playing my new guitar right after it was ready, and she said, my that is so much smaller than your others. Then she looked at Lynda's and Ricky's and asked if they ordered one in a different size. I said they were one size fits all, but we are all different sizes.
OK, enough about my stature, or lack there of! LOL
Tuffy, Thanks for posting the photos. It was great to meet you and you have a fantastic new guitar. I was sitting on the couch right next to you and could not get over how great the all hog guitar sounded.
Welcome home
Matt
Hey Matt
I heard you comment on my hogtop when I was sitting there next to you. I wasn't playing it hard at all and it just rang out. I'm real pleased. When do you expect to get yours ? I guess Jim is going to do the set up for you etc. I bet you're getting anxious. I know you played yours at the shop. I guess it must have been hard to leave it behind. And thanks for taking all the great shots and providing the link. I just got through putting all my shots on a CD with a HP memories disk program that has me playing a little bit as background music to a slideshow of the pics. I thought that would be a good way to share with friends and familiy and we can watch in on the tv through the dvd player.
So glad to have met you and to have shared this big event with you.
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 05:24:08 PM
leftynyc
you might want to contact Jim Holler. I'm almost positive that there was an extra lefty made by mistake. Rosewood I believe. I briefly considered taking it myself along with my all hog. Anyhow you might be able to work out a deal with him that would involve a trade-in or something. Worth a shot.
Lynne and lefty, there is another LH Forum 3 in IS/RW with herringbone available. Its one of the two that I got to choose between. It has a beautiful IS top, and very nice rosewood sides and back. The serial number is 108542, I believe. Give Jim a call, it was number 68 in the build process. I got to choose #68A. Get it, you will not be disappointed in any way, shape or form.
John
Yeah, that's what I thought. In fact I believe that one had one of the nicest tops of the bunch didn't it ? I wouldn't have had any trouble at all taking that one home if finances had permitted. Guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the ol hogtop. :whistling:
Have you talked yourself into a 2nd one yet ?
Quote from: photomat on March 18, 2009, 10:23:38 PM
My wife was looking at the photo of me playing my new guitar right after it was ready, and she said, my that is so much smaller than your others. Then she looked at Lynda's and Ricky's and asked if they ordered one in a different size. I said they were one size fits all, but we are all different sizes.
Especially for people of smaller stature, I believe the perfect size is the OM and LS. These would be the equivalent of Taylor GC - grand concert, right?
No more jumbos, dreads, grand symphonys or grand auditoriums for me - although I may very well keep my GS - but then again, would gladly part with
it to obtain at least another one of these FG3 with hog/IS... and in my dreams maybe a third all hog.
I appreciate the pictures Matt - I pm-ed you. Great shots! I hope to catch some of the jamming sessions already being planned in the Seattle-Vancouver area.
ricky
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 19, 2009, 02:23:41 AM
Have you talked yourself into a 2nd one yet ?
Lynn, I was talking to Lynda this afternoon (early evening for her) a little bit. Talked to our jamming host - Mike too. As far as guitars go, I believe we've got the best (okay, one of the best).
But that comment is coming from out-of-the-closet Taylor fanatics. Still admire them Taylors and respect Bob Taylor & his company lots, but my nod goes to Larrivee 03s.
If the used market only favor the sellers instead of the current "buyers market" - I'd have sold my Taylor GS and get me 2 more FG3s, seriously.
BTW, I wish I would have invited myself to join you and Lynda on Tuesday morning. You strike me as a kindred spirit.
As for 3-16-2009, too many nice guitars, intoxicating factory tour experience - how can anyone not have multiple GAS attacks?
I still smell the factory in the sound hole of my FG3.
The emotional high and happy hormone rush was probably a Mt. Everest peak experience! It's as good as life gets on this planet.
There was just too much to drink in. I wish I gazed and admired Lynda's git, yours, BenF's, Norman's (Geenorm) - if money was not an issue, I'd have taken home Mike's (Vancouver Southpaw's) righty all-hog - knowing that it will have a lefty twin makes that righty special.
I wish I had time to get to interact more with ST, Johnny37, dermot, photomat, DaveG, Mike Killick, the factory workers, John Jr., Jim H.
For me, I am thankful for these amazing guitars (FG3s). I want to tell the factory workers and the Larrivee family that what they do everyday making these very fine musical intruments (the best kept secret in the business - as you said) - is impacting many lives and making this world a better place.
The icing on the cake for me - about this Larrivee Forum, the Tour, the FG3s is: meeting and becoming friends with folks like you, Danny, Lynda, Mike (V-southpaw), Tad and the spouses. I really look forward to meet in person Mrs. Tuffy someday soon.
ricky
y'all make me too hard to wait for my #77!!
I really wish I could've been there with you guys in Vancity.. :)
Sounds like there are some new hogtops out there to match the perfection of the F1 hogtops! If they sound as special as the F1 HTs then, :bowdown:
Some very lucky lefty out there is going to wind up with that IS/RW 'mistake". It is very similar to what happened in the 1st forum guitar run. Only 16 were supposed to be made but they mistakely made a lefty hogtop (1 of only 2), so it became a 17 guitar run and she eventually made it into my hands after bhika had a momentary laps of insanity and sold her to me...btw...it think I beat tuffythepug on that purchase by about 5 minutes so I'm real happy he's got his hogtop F3.
Quote from: bluesman67 on March 19, 2009, 08:29:00 AM
Sounds like there are some new hogtops out there to match the perfection of the F1 hogtops! If they sound as special as the F1 HTs then, :bowdown:
Some very lucky lefty out there is going to wind up with that IS/RW 'mistake". It is very similar to what happened in the 1st forum guitar run. Only 16 were supposed to be made but they mistakely made a lefty hogtop (1 of only 2), so it became a 17 guitar run and she eventually made it into my hands after bhika had a momentary laps of insanity and sold her to me...btw...it think I beat tuffythepug on that purchase by about 5 minutes so I'm real happy he's got his hogtop F3.
I MUST RESIST, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, I MUST RESIST, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE..........
Quote from: bhika on March 19, 2009, 09:36:22 AM
I MUST RESIST, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, I MUST RESIST, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE..........
:laughin:
Quote from: bhika on March 19, 2009, 09:36:22 AM
I MUST RESIST, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, I MUST RESIST, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE..........
Jeff
At the risk of throwing rocket fuel on a blazing inferno.................
Dude, you need this guitar. Your life will not be complete without it. If you don't get it you will regret it. Maybe not today,,,,, maybe not tomorrow,,,,, but soon, and for the rest of your life.
After all, the problems of a man and his guitar don't amount to a hill of beans.. uh.. hmmm.. sorry. I got lost in the moment.
Call Jim Holler right now. Let me just tantalize you with an image.
Picture you, me, Joseph, Johnny37, and Vancouver Southpaw (Mike) sitting together playing our 5 lefty fourm III LS-03s together at a jam. See below.. insert yourself and Joseph. got the picture ?
[attachment deleted by admin]
Quite seriously, resistance is futile! :roll
Quote from: bluesman67 on March 19, 2009, 08:29:00 AM
Sounds like there are some new hogtops out there to match the perfection of the F1 hogtops! If they sound as special as the F1 HTs then, :bowdown:
Some very lucky lefty out there is going to wind up with that IS/RW 'mistake". It is very similar to what happened in the 1st forum guitar run. Only 16 were supposed to be made but they mistakely made a lefty hogtop (1 of only 2), so it became a 17 guitar run and she eventually made it into my hands after bhika had a momentary laps of insanity and sold her to me...btw...it think I beat tuffythepug on that purchase by about 5 minutes so I'm real happy he's got his hogtop F3.
Joseph
I guess I can finally stop bugging you about selling your forum I hogtop now. Everything works out for the best in the end. sure wish you could have been in V'couver for the tour and jam. that would have been icing on the cake.
If I picked up this forum guitar I would need to get my Forum I back from Joseph so I could own both of the OOPS lefty forum guitars.
What do you think Joseph, you said you wanted to unload one of your hogtops. :thumb
Although I had what I thought were a lot of good reasons for not ordering a Forum III guitar, If I had ordered one it would have been a IS top with IR back and sides with Herringbone Trim.
Coincidentely that is what is available.
Quote from: bhika on March 19, 2009, 10:12:32 AM
Although I had what I thought were a lot of good reasons for not ordering a Forum III guitar, If I had ordered one it would have been a IS top with IR back and sides with Herringbone Trim.
Coincidentely that is what is available.
LS-03RHB - very nice choice sir! (I hope :doh)
Quote from: BenF on March 19, 2009, 10:18:04 AM
LS-03RHB - very nice choice sir! (I hope :doh)
Ben
you got a real, real nice one coming your way. Sit tight. I promise you that it will be worth the wait.
Jeff,
What are you waiting for ? get off the forum and on the phone before someone else grabs it.
Dude!! It was meant to be!!! You can't fight destiny!!! The exact one you would have ordered and it so happens that it was a lefty made my mistake, cmon' man, lightning doesn't strike twice!! That is how you ended up with your F1, right?
Signed,
1 of your enabling forum friends (who isn't going to give up that F1!) ....Lynn is the KING of enablers! That would be a mighty fine picure with the 5 of us lefties...we could be the Southpaw 5. Plus, when I see you this summer, I won't have to bring my F3 with me and I can pack a couple other goodies for us to jam with.
:guitar
Quote from: bluesman67 on March 19, 2009, 10:58:24 AM
1 ...Lynn is the KING of enablers! That would be a mighty fine picure with the 5 of us lefties...we could be the Southpaw 5.
:guitar
And I wear my crown with pride. :roll
Southpaw 5 has a nice ring to it
Quote from: tuffythepug on March 19, 2009, 11:01:55 AM
And I wear my crown with pride. :roll
Southpaw 5 has a nice ring to it
OK, tell the truth though...the Queen has all the power. :roll
I just PM'ed Randy about setting up a thread in the Picture forum for all the photos taken during the tour and jam. If he sets it up and you have photos from the event please post them there.
Thanks,
Can't ever get too much eye candy Roger
I've set up a thread just to post pictures of the FIII and the tour, so they are all in 1 place.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=26087.0
Quote from: bhika on March 19, 2009, 10:12:32 AM
Although I had what I thought were a lot of good reasons for not ordering a Forum III guitar, If I had ordered one it would have been a IS top with IR back and sides with Herringbone Trim.
Coincidentely that is what is available.
Thats not coincidence. That's fate.
I just read that I was targeted in the original post about the extra lefty. It is tempting. I kind of feel I traded up the D03R plus cash for the 90s D-50R instead; I'm primarily a dread guy. Still....if I could sell my L-03RE, I'd definitely be interested. But I think the forum guitar has steered a lot of lefties toward smaller bodies than the L. But as great as it sounds, and no doubt looks, I couldn't possibly order that one without first selling the L.
Appreciate the thought.
I suspect that over time and continued acquisitions, there might be one available left-handed. I do wish I'd been able to make the trip, though.
I've had GAS for years, but as far as enabling, it might be true about Lynn. But one thing in his defense, he seems to hand onto the guitars he buys. How the heck do you do it? Do you own oil in Texas near the Bush ranch or something? Don't want to get into politics, please? :bowdown:
Jeff :guitar
Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 27, 2009, 09:00:14 PM
I've had GAS for years, but as far as enabling, it might be true about Lynn. But one thing in his defense, he seems to hand onto the guitars he buys. How the heck do you do it? Do you own oil in Texas near the Bush ranch or something? Don't want to get into politics, please? :bowdown:
Jeff :guitar
Creative financing, and dumb luck is the key to my guitar acquisitions. I bought the L-10 off of Bhika after a lucky streak in Vegas. I've sold a Martin D-15, a Gibson Hummingbird, an Epiphone Emperor, A Schecter C-SH-1, An Alvarez, and an Epiphone SG in order to buy the other 3 Larrivees I have. I don't own any oil rigs or much of anything else except my home. I'm just a working stiff who likes nice guitars. I've been buying, trading and selling them for almost 20 years and I've finally reached a point where I think I can just keep these and enjoy them.
Hey, i just realized I'm approaching post number 2,000........ I better start planning something special to post for that milestone. :bgrin:
Lynn, I just realized I had reached just over 250 posts. Not quite as exciting or as big in #'s as you, but a tiny step towards something. I'll keep an eye on you & throw you a nice doggie treat to celebrate. Too bad it can't be a guitar! :cheers
Jeff :guitar